Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostMark., on 06 November 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

If you are making them for yourself, of course do it the way you want. But my suggestion to get a few more people on your side would be to spice it up a little. My pic is just a very quick cut/paste using your texture and a bevel filter to make the window look recessed in the frame a little. It can be done much better but it gives you a hint as to what I mean.

Looks really much better. Going to remake mine.

User is offline   Jolteon 

View PostHendricks266, on 05 November 2016 - 09:26 PM, said:

"You're" or "Your"?

Oops! My bad. I'm such a derp! ;) I fixed it.

Attached Image: capt0061.png

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

r5927 | hendricks266 | 2016-11-07 20:59:05 -0600 (Mon, 07 Nov 2016) | 3 lines

Add support for MOD, XM, IT, and S3M tracker music through libxmp-lite.

Support is now included in synthesis builds. If you build your own binaries for an OS other than Windows:

http://hendricks266....4.1-h266.tar.xz
./configure --enable-static && make && make install

for EDuke32:
make HAVE_XMP=1

This will improve in the future after the rearrangement.

User is offline   oldgamerz 

I've been working on my mod in another thread, It would be cool once the megamod is completed It is planned to be 4 episodes long. Another thing that would be cool is to add Duke Nukem II midi files but I'm not sure how to extract them. I think that they are located somewhere inside a hacked file

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What do you mean megamod? Oblivion is a megamod. 6 full episodes, each level takes a really long time to finish. Have no idea how long it'd take to complete. The AMC TC is arguably the largest TC in terms of extra art, sounds and effects. That one takes around 20 hours to finish, although it'll probably be close to 30 once Episode 3 comes out in (hopefully) a year.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostHendricks266, on 07 November 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

Add support for MOD, XM, IT, and S3M tracker music through libxmp-lite.
Support is now included in synthesis builds. If you build your own binaries for an OS other than Windows:

heh, that's great news - nice work!

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That's freaking cool!! Is there a way with that library that you can make it work in conjunction with CON programming to trigger different patterns and have dynamic music like in Unreal?

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 07 November 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

Support is now included in synthesis builds.

For us mapper noobs who don't know anything, what are the modding implications of this new feature?

User is offline   Jblade 

it's support for old mod music files which games like Unreal Tournament used. it's nothing major but it's still good news; mod files basically straddled the gap between midi and MP3 since they were similar to midi files but used self-contained sound files for the instruments and stuff (IIRC anyway, somebody more knowledgable by all means please clarify/correct) so were basically high quality without having massive file sizes.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 08 November 2016 - 01:59 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 08 November 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

For us mapper noobs who don't know anything, what are the modding implications of this new feature?

New music formats other than MIDI, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis.

Please let me know if you plan to release something that uses this feature, since I don't want Mac and Linux users to be left out in the cold due to ignorance.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 November 2016 - 06:23 AM, said:

That's freaking cool!! Is there a way with that library that you can make it work in conjunction with CON programming to trigger different patterns and have dynamic music like in Unreal?

I don't know what exactly that would require. The API has seeking and channel muting. Beyond that, I can also modify the library myself and contribute my work upstream.

I'm not likely to spend the time implementing this unless someone comes to me with the modules ready to go. However, it will be something to keep in mind as I design the new music system Total Meltdown needs.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Happy to see support for this !

I guess I'll explain a little bit since I have some exposure due to demoscene background and love the stuff people have done with it and kinda secretly wanted eduke to support it even though I don't expect it to be popular..

Module music as it's known is what started with Amiga. Instead of typical "chip synthesized" audio you had 4 voice channels to work with and those could play audio samples, giving life-like instrument sounds.
After a while people made their own tools to compose for the amiga and thus the MOD format came along with it.

Module music itself... I guess you could think of it as MIDI notes + a limited soundfont, usually around +10 different intrument samples (or voices too). This resulted in files that were maybe few hundred KB in size (depending on samples) and played back exactly the same on any system.

Anyway... around 90s, PCs still using early FM synthesis and barely getting digital playback at all. High quality was usually reserved for external MIDI(or similar) boxes like MT32.
Gravis had the idea to implement a similar amiga-like sound system on a PC with their ultrasound card, instead of just 4 voices, you had more than 10 voices with double the sample rate.. More than enough for sweet sound output, all HW accelerated !
Naturally this meant that amiga-like trackers surfaced on PC and module format migrated there. Ultrasound failed to gain major traction outside of the demoscene but companies like Epic (big module supporters) still allowed SB users to enjoy their games with CPU mixing, usually with lower quality output than what gravis could pull off.

Listed formats there:
MOD format is generally the 4ch legacy format that works with amiga trackers.
S3M / IT / XM are alternate formats with different limitations but S3M is able to play simultaneous FM synth & digital samples

But for modding.. As was mentioned, dynamic music is theoretically possible. Epic used a module variant for games ranging from Unreal-OMF-Jazz to other games like Deus-ex, which gives you and idea what is possible.
Since the music is composed generally in a very pattern-based way, it's very easy for a coder to change the pointer for the next pattern, meaning that once the current (i.e. ~10 second) bit is done, it will jump to a bridge part and be stuck in a say.. 1min loop before breaking out of it due to mood change.
It's also easy to enable/disable individual instruments. With some coordination, one plausible scenario (if control gets implemented some day) is that you could have more dynamic music quite easily with some code assistance.
Also, for a reasonable quality tune you wouldn't need more than a few hundred KB music file that will be guarranteed to sound exact on every system.
Due to the exact sound, you can experiment much more freely with composing / sound worlds as it won't break between systems. Everything is mixed live.

SNES / N64 / PS1 (not streamed) / saturn (not streamed).. and many others.. follow a similar logic with playing sampled data, allowing voice samples in a tune too (daytona anyone? :mellow: )

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

On that subject, did support for anything other than ANM get supported? Is Ogg Vobis included?

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTea Monster, on 08 November 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

On that subject, did support for anything other than ANM get supported?

Helix implemented VP8 years ago.

View PostTea Monster, on 08 November 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

Is Ogg Vobis included?

What about it?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Sorry, I meant Theora.

User is offline   oldgamerz 

View PostMicky C, on 08 November 2016 - 01:27 AM, said:

What do you mean megamod? Oblivion is a megamod. 6 full episodes, each level takes a really long time to finish. Have no idea how long it'd take to complete. The AMC TC is arguably the largest TC in terms of extra art, sounds and effects. That one takes around 20 hours to finish, although it'll probably be close to 30 once Episode 3 comes out in (hopefully) a year.

I am only planning on sticking to the bounds of duke nukem II I plan to eventually get 4 episodes 24 levels to go but I am not sure how they will turn out yet I have to play it by ear

This post has been edited by oldgamerz: 11 November 2016 - 02:45 PM

User is offline   Shawneth 

Showed James this earlier, but I'm actually kind of proud of this stuff here. Another NS exclusive map :mellow:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png
  • Attached Image: duke0001.png
  • Attached Image: duke0002.png

This post has been edited by oporix: 11 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

User is offline   TURBOKID 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyone interested in this should inbox me, trying to get some collabs

This post has been edited by TURBOKID: 13 November 2016 - 07:36 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

There is a guy Tea Monster. He is THE guy to help you. Why don't you ask him? Posted Image

Yeah I know him lol, really need to be able to add more weapons, I have some nice ones I'm working on. And also need to look into ironsights. Those textures are also running in Duke64 on my gamepad :mellow:

User is offline   Gambini 

Posted Image

• Honored Donor

Hooollleeee shit! You better not be yanking our chains here!

I assume that you press the use button when standing in that, which then puts up a HUD version of that vehicle.

User is offline   Sanek 

OMG!
When I first saw the picture I didn't paid much attention to it but then I looked who posted it and my jaw dropped :mellow:

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostGambini, on 13 November 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 13 November 2016 - 06:31 PM

User is offline   Jaap 

I got back to working on my mod "Ich will". I basically rebuilt the map from scratch resulting in some of the rooms that were way too big now being much smaller.

The AI and pathfinding has been changed too. Thugs now attempt to avoid each other so there won't get stuck on each other as often as before.

Also I have started working on an second mission where you have to rescue hostages from a hotel that has been taken over by terrorists.

The first mission is about 45% done. Lots of art has to be done, enemy/pick-ups have to be re-balanced and the AI could use some minor tweaks to make bots bunching up even less.

I would share an alpha version but I am using a new con command to manipulate arrays (and I hope the admins will allow it to become a standard command).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sorry about the image spam.

User is offline   Jolteon 

Using the New Cycloid boss from World Tour (Who was lame) as a base, I ended up making some 'Destiny' like Elemental Cycloids.

Attached Image: Elemental Cycloids.png

The left one is the original Flamethrower Cycloid from World Tour, The middle one is known as Dark Matter Cycloid (Who I wanted to use as a big boss in one of my future levels), and the right one is the Electric Cycloid (Or In Duke Nukem's case, the Freezer Cycloid :mellow: )

I do need to decide on what blood color will the Electric Cycloid (Or Freezer Cycloid) have. Decided to give him the usual red blood. Dark Matter Cycloid has blue blood.

This post has been edited by Jolteon: 14 November 2016 - 09:04 PM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostGambini, on 13 November 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

Lake Mead boating sequence for DNF2013?!?!?!?!?!

:mellow:

Doing some testing :mellow:

Posted Image

User is offline   HMNuke93 

Working on a skybox based on various Duke3D betas. Still wip.

Posted Image

View PostHMNuke93, on 15 November 2016 - 10:22 AM, said:

Working on a skybox based on various Duke3D betas. Still wip.

Posted Image

Very nice, I need to start on skyboxes soon myself

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Not bad!

I quite like the deluxe-paint feel to it and it seems pretty true to the early stuff.
Remember to leave some space for hollywood signs and such, even though LD didn't have it, they still had L.A. planned in very early on.

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options