Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   SuperFudd 

What am I working on right now?
Well... My most recent map is a DN3D version of Alien vs Predator from the Atari Jaguar. The Jaguar version was 5 stories high plus 4 connecting ventelation systems. DN3D couldn't handle all that so I have done 3 of the stories/floors/decks and two connecting ventelation systems. It is pretty much complete. All rooms, coridors and vents are complete. It needs fine tuning of monster and goodies placement and playbility. Only problem is I have not worked on it in ten years. :)

User is offline   Geoffrey 

It won't be the same without the horrors level 1 :) But I'm curious to see what you've cooked up!

I would be happy to email it to you, or anyone else. I don't see your email address so contact me at:

Dlsafer at juno, com.

My main computer died last week so I am on my 10 year old backup which is not yet set up for DN3D. I have my DN3D files backed up to DVD but no DVD player on this one. Fortunately I have my maps backed up to floppies (remember those?). I have 3 versions of OvE, (Octobrain vs what ever monster starts with E) , OvEg, OvEh and OvEalpha. I can't review them so I will send all three. I will give more details in the email.
I also have several other maps I have made. Most have been made available on the internet for download.

Don

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Why don't you just upload them to the net for all to see?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I have been working on Mapster scripting. I tried to make an way to define the order of Aplayer and Camera1 (which are ordered by the ID) through "extra" value.

Shit worked!

View PostThe Commander, on Nov 29 2009, 04:36 PM, said:

Why don't you just upload them to the net for all to see?

That would be a good idea. Are any of the sites for maps from 10 years ago still around? Which would you recomend? I have my own site but have not been able to figure out how to make my maps available for download on it. :)

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostIlovefoxes, on Nov 29 2009, 06:21 PM, said:

I have been working on Mapster scripting. I tried to make an way to define the order of Aplayer and Camera1 (which are ordered by the ID) through "extra" value.

Shit worked!

So what exactly could scripting do?

View PostSuperFudd, on Nov 30 2009, 07:40 PM, said:

That would be a good idea. Are any of the sites for maps from 10 years ago still around? Which would you recomend? I have my own site but have not been able to figure out how to make my maps available for download on it. :)

Just upload the map's in a .zip or whatever to a place like filefront or etc.

You could also post them in the DNR fourm and quite possibly gain a review as well as there own page.

http://www.dukerepository.com/

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostSuperFudd, on Nov 30 2009, 08:40 AM, said:

Are any of the sites for maps from 10 years ago still around?

Only one.

User is offline   NerdZilla 

I've been making that map that i shared 10x bigger (like i said). I have most of the hards stuff done. And at 1/8 full size. This map looks amazing. The learge hills are are smooth and seemingly endless more learge hills behind them.
The FPS runs amazingly fast. I guess sense your player is'nt looking at the whole map at ones it has an easy time running.

These pic are a little dated now. What's really interesting is when you fly around in the map. And it's amazing how much cover you can have by playing the angles of the mountens.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 30 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostThe Commander, on Nov 30 2009, 01:38 AM, said:

Just upload the map's in a .zip or whatever to a place like filefront or etc.

You could also post them in the DNR fourm and quite possibly gain a review as well as there own page.

http://www.dukerepository.com/

:)

My "Octobrain vs Enforcer" is not complete so I am not inclined to widely distribute it. The most recent saves don't even have you, a Space Marine at the start point, a brig cell. I am willing to email it to a few this way.
Gota LOVE EDUKE32. put it on my 500MHz P3 system and it works excelently. I guess I need to relearn enough of Build to move "you" to the start point and add a few more "monsters" and "goodies". It would not be finished though. The clues on the computer terminals need alot of work, elevators are glitchy, etc.
I supose I should upload my other DN3D maps though. I have also Built a couple of very good Shadow Warrior maps and I have a nearly complete (for many years) Redneck Rampage Rides Again map.

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

View PostSuperFudd, on Dec 1 2009, 01:16 PM, said:

Gota LOVE EDUKE32. put it on my 500MHz P3 system and it works excelently.

Now try Polymer :)

View PostSuperFudd, on Dec 1 2009, 01:16 PM, said:

I guess I need to relearn enough of Build to move "you" to the start point and add a few more "monsters" and "goodies".

Just in case you really do want a reminder (some people say they need to re-learn the simplest things just as a way of exaggerating how little they remember), Scroll Lock assigns the player position in 2d Mode. So just stand where you want to be standing and/or facing in the map, go to 2d mode and hit Scroll Lock to change the start position. Done and done.

I'm personally still making some slow progress on maps for my Voyager mod. What I'm working on right now (sorry, no screenshots just yet) is a map based on a Borg vessel. I took a page from the initial missions of Elite Force 2 in which you get to see Voyager through a viewport, lending a nice sense of scale to where you are. What I'm doing is designing this stage so that as you progress through it and complete your objectives, you are treated to an occasional viewport or such that offers a view of Voyager from various angles (essentially working around the ship in a big 'U' shape through the borg complex). I'm trying to take that 'scale' presented in Elite Force 2 and expand upon it to really give the player that sense of... direction. Of progress. As you move around the ship through the map, I'm hoping to setup some 'scripted events' at each viewport, so you can see some cool stuff happening around the ship as you progress.

I've also changed the overall goal of my mod slightly. Rather than try and cram a hundred different ideas into one single mod and have to try and string them together in a way that makes sense (a planetside landing sequence and night time infiltration mission simply doesn't fit a borg storyline) I've decided to split things up. The first release will be strictly borg-centric, the second release will deal with retrieving items stolen from Voyager in an attack, and the 3rd will be... well, solely based on Voyager.

This works best for me because I can take all these little test maps and features I've been crafting and put them aside for use in their respective releases, and allow myself to just focus on one tight knit story at a time and try and get a faster release. It's just better this way. :)

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostSuperFudd, on Dec 1 2009, 04:46 AM, said:

My "Octobrain vs Enforcer" is not complete so I am not inclined to widely distribute it. The most recent saves don't even have you, a Space Marine at the start point, a brig cell. I am willing to email it to a few this way.
Gota LOVE EDUKE32. put it on my 500MHz P3 system and it works excelently. I guess I need to relearn enough of Build to move "you" to the start point and add a few more "monsters" and "goodies". It would not be finished though. The clues on the computer terminals need alot of work, elevators are glitchy, etc.
I supose I should upload my other DN3D maps though. I have also Built a couple of very good Shadow Warrior maps and I have a nearly complete (for many years) Redneck Rampage Rides Again map.

You could start by posting some screenshots.

Thought I would get some mapping done. :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Spiker 

Is this your dead stargate mod?

View PostSpiker, on Dec 3 2009, 04:43 AM, said:

Is this your dead stargate mod?

How the hell did you know that? :)

I decided tonight to open that dreaded folder and talk a look at what I had done, it was a disgrace. Needed a face lift.

User is offline   Muelsa 

• Bad Mother Fucker

A small map that i do to test polymer render, with several SE 50 :) !
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Syr_oOFKmAc

User is offline   Spiker 

The Commander: When I saw it my first assotiation was Stargate. Looks great by the way. I wonder if the missing content will reach the same quality :)

Muelsa: The video is absulutely superb!

This post has been edited by Spiker: 02 December 2009 - 08:25 AM

User is offline   pmw 

View PostSangman, on Nov 20 2009, 06:33 PM, said:

There is a key like that, actually! But time and time again, I forget how it works.

I think it's something like this:

Select a tile that you want to copy by pressing TAB on a wall/floor/ceiling that has this tile.
Then go to a different wall/floor/ceiling that has the tile you want to replace all over the map with the one you currently have copied by putting your cursor on it and pressing ALT + C.

Note that I could be mistaken, all this is IIRC.

A littlebit offtopic now but, this ALT + C worked fine. But it doesn't copy PALETTE, does anybody know is it possible to replace tile X with tile Y and tile Y's palette?

User is online   Sangman 

View PostThe Commander, on Dec 2 2009, 05:10 PM, said:

It's pretty obvious, it was my first thought as well.

Anyway it seems Polymer can make even the simplest looking maps look really nice.

1/2 full size. ones the all ground mapping is done. im going to put in a backround. its going to look neet to see the shawdow of the landscape to something like the moon backround.
After thats done, add in trees and a few buildings and i have my world map for my mod.... or just something thats ready for cars, tanks and stuff.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Your map kind of reminds me of that Aliens TC Rusty and MBlackwell were working on, Commander.

User is offline   Sobek 

View PostThe Commander, on Dec 3 2009, 02:40 AM, said:

I decided tonight to open that dreaded folder and talk a look at what I had done, it was a disgrace. Needed a face lift.

It was the first thing I thought of too... But it looks amazing like that. Awesome framerate too :)

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostNerdZilla, on Dec 2 2009, 03:47 PM, said:

Attachment duke0008.jpgAttachment duke0006.jpg

1/2 full size. ones the all ground mapping is done. im going to put in a backround. its going to look neet to see the shawdow of the landscape to something like the moon backround.
After thats done, add in trees and a few buildings and i have my world map for my mod.... or just something thats ready for cars, tanks and stuff.

I am not sure about the scale, those edges look too big.

Won't you use an larger texture for floor? Maybe 4096 x 4096?

This post has been edited by Ilovefoxes: 02 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

User is offline   Sobek 

View PostIlovefoxes, on Dec 3 2009, 01:56 PM, said:

I am not sure about the scale, those edges look too big.

Won't you use an larger texture for floor? Maybe 4096 x 4096?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Eduke32 doesn't actually support texture resolutions that high does it? On every system I've tried, 2048x2048 was the largest texture size I could use before it just failed to work (tested with 2900xt, HD3870, HD4870, 8800GTS).

That's not to say that a 2048x2048 texture wouldn't look just fine on that terrain anyway... but it seems perhaps a bit overkill. Maybe a decent 512x512 texture that repeats in a not too obvious way?

This post has been edited by Sobek: 02 December 2009 - 07:57 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

I don't know about the ATI hardware you mentioned, but a 8800GTS supports textures up to 8192x8192 (and they will work fine in EDuke32). To make sure you don't have a lower r_texturemaxsize saved from a previous run on lower-end hardware, set it to 0 and restart the game.

I've made a map useing the standerd 1.3 textures. I'll post it as soon as I figger out out how to delete old files.. I have no space left.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 02 December 2009 - 10:06 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

cool stuff commander

i like it :)

prolly look even better if that light was a golden orange, assuming its being lit up by the sun

well here it is with it's own tile14... its a bata test.

injoy.. =)

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options