Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Gambini 

I´m thinking about some orthopedic solutions that could do the trick. One would be modifying the pitch of the model in order to make it look straight when it´s floor relative, that would make the vieawable angle wider.

Other is placing some little sectors (triangles are cheap and handy) within the sector from where you want to look at the model. Put them specially in the blind points from where the model uses to dissapear, and then join them with the sector where the model is (use the big sector as source, not the inverse). I don´t know with models, but this has been usefull for me when i had big sprites that wanted to keep on screen even when the sector from where they belong was not on screen. You can find a practical example of this in the DPCB, i added little triangles next to every blade´s edge of the chopper at the beginning and joined them with the rotating sector where the blades are, thus blades dont dissappear even when their sector is behid a white line and at the back of the player. That doesn´t use anything than vanilla duke tricks and (static) could work with your model.

If nothing of the above works, check if the problem also happens with 4:3 resolutions and/or switch to 8bits and check if the dummytile is still there when the model dissappears.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 17 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Sobek, these model vanishing problems only happen in Polymost, right? As long as the sector it belongs to is in view, the model should currently always be on screen with how Polymer is currently.

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

View PostGambini, on Nov 18 2009, 09:30 AM, said:

I´m thinking about some orthopedic solutions that could do the trick. One would be modifying the pitch of the model in order to make it look straight when it´s floor relative, that would make the vieawable angle wider.

Other is placing some little sectors (triangles are cheap and handy) within the sector from where you want to look at the model. Put them specially in the blind points from where the model uses to dissapear, and then join them with the sector where the model is (use the big sector as source, not the inverse). I don´t know with models, but this has been usefull for me when i had big sprites that wanted to keep on screen even when the sector from where they belong was not on screen. You can find a practical example of this in the DPCB, i added little triangles next to every blade´s edge of the chopper at the beginning and joined them with the rotating sector where the blades are, thus blades dont dissappear even when their sector is behid a white line and at the back of the player. That doesn´t use anything than vanilla duke tricks and (static) could work with your model.

If nothing of the above works, check if the problem also happens with 4:3 resolutions and/or switch to 8bits and check if the dummytile is still there when the model dissappears.

I'll look into that floor relative modification to see if it helps, thanks. The bit with the triangle sectors and such sounds a bit odd but, I'll check that out too - I'll give anything a shot :) I run 4:3 resolutions normally (1280x960 typically), though I often take screenshots at a 16:9 or 16:10 res, depending on what I need (sometimes 1920x1200 or 1280x720), there appears to be no change between the 3, but I'll see about that 8bit thing today.

View PostPlagman, on Nov 18 2009, 11:22 AM, said:

Sobek, these model vanishing problems only happen in Polymost, right? As long as the sector it belongs to is in view, the model should currently always be on screen with how Polymer is currently.

I'm mapping & playing strictly with polymer at the moment. What you say certainly seems to be the case in *some* maps, but others don't quite follow suit. For instance, by recreating the map I posted the picture of on the previous page, what you say about it staying rendered so long as it is 'visible' holds true (so long as the model is set to Wall Aligned), however on some other maps of mine, it doesn't seem to be the case. I have one where I created a basic long tunnel, with the player sitting about halfway down, and my model at the far end on a moving subway sector, set to wall aligned. As the subway sector moves down the tunnel and the model passes the player, it just vanishes unless you intentionally follow it's movement with your view.

This is probably better suited for the thread I created previously over in the Random Questions / Bug Reports subforum. Sorry for threadcrapping.

User is offline   pmw 

I'm making realistic urban-style mod, based on Tampere Finland.

It's really normal looking episode, there are no special tricks and highpoly-stuff or anything. Really normal. But it's so realistic as can be. There are famous public buildings and places from Tampere-city.

Ps. Maps in screenshots are still under construction.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

There's also couple of guys helping me on this project. It's my first time doing whole own mod, not just single custom maps.

Ps. Does anyone know, is there "replace tile" -tool in Mapster32? I really should change some skytiles from my maps, but it's really painful doing manually.

This post has been edited by pmw: 19 November 2009 - 10:09 PM

User is offline   NerdZilla 

View PostTX, on Nov 9 2009, 04:20 PM, said:

Indeed. It's really important to not render thousands upon thousands of walls simultaneously, for performance considerations.

i figgerd out a simple way passed that for ploymor. make a tile and put that onto every wall you don't want to be rendering. EA: inbeween the turns and bends in the ground. then take out that tile from the art file useing any simple art edit program. the resalts is a FPS gain.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 20 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

Hey I really like that. I don't know, something about the design of the area is just right. It almost reminds me of something from Tribes 2... I'm loving the snow :)
[/quote]

thank you.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 20 November 2009 - 02:29 AM

User is offline   Sangman 

View Postpmw, on Nov 20 2009, 07:07 AM, said:

Ps. Does anyone know, is there "replace tile" -tool in Mapster32? I really should change some skytiles from my maps, but it's really painful doing manually.

There is a key like that, actually! But time and time again, I forget how it works.

I think it's something like this:

Select a tile that you want to copy by pressing TAB on a wall/floor/ceiling that has this tile.
Then go to a different wall/floor/ceiling that has the tile you want to replace all over the map with the one you currently have copied by putting your cursor on it and pressing ALT + C.

Note that I could be mistaken, all this is IIRC.

User is online   zykov eddy 

More hedgehogs.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   pmw 

View PostSangman, on Nov 20 2009, 06:33 PM, said:

There is a key like that, actually! But time and time again, I forget how it works.

I think it's something like this:

Select a tile that you want to copy by pressing TAB on a wall/floor/ceiling that has this tile.
Then go to a different wall/floor/ceiling that has the tile you want to replace all over the map with the one you currently have copied by putting your cursor on it and pressing ALT + C.

Note that I could be mistaken, all this is IIRC.

It worked. Big thanks!

User is offline   Royboy94 

Hey guys (i'm new :) ) i've been making maps for Duke Nukem 3D about 2 years now, only made maps, i don't really know how to modify CON files and other stuff.
Anyway! I WAS working on some space levels, but for some reason it KEEPS crashing when i enter a few certain sectors in game :S
Here are some pics of the map:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i have some good news about the ROR thing i found out. turns out not only dose it NOT have to be a connect secter. it works on roofs, floors and as a backround grafic. EA; no more flouting bullet holes.

think of the whole ROR as an add on to backrounds. lighting also works but it has to have it's own lighting. the source can not be come the mirror tile.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 22 November 2009 - 05:33 AM

User is offline   darkcaleb 

can you show us a sample?

View Postdarkcaleb, on Nov 22 2009, 06:07 AM, said:

can you show us a sample?

i'll have somthing soon. but right now my focus is on having a landscape map ready... i'll see what i can do.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 23 November 2009 - 08:54 PM

that command with (alt C) has been so handy in getting work done faster. i make some epansion to that land scape. but i can double the maps size it if i can delete whole secters faster. i have a huge pile of junk secters i need to delete.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 25 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

this is a fun thing i made off of the a beta test of hills. even for duke 1.3 its really fun. after this is all done. im going to make this map over 10 times bigger. so what you see as small hills will become mountens. and i'll place some spite made buildings.
it'll be a grate map for driving mods.

PS : please note that this map has NOT been given all the extras designs that give it an FPS boost. the only thing in design to make the FPS better is : the roof and ground are so far apart that thay can not be seen at the same time. this is a good one for anyone making huge wide open maps.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 25 November 2009 - 11:03 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's too exaggerated really. Doesn't look one bit realistic, also, aren't we past bad CS rips yet?

User is offline   Mark 

The map was bigger than the screen shots looked. I think with the right textures and its placement as part of a larger map with lots of details and buildings it will be cool.

This post has been edited by Marked: 25 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

Those hills are a cool concept but you're cocking it up making it look like that :)

User is offline   Sebastian 

Jesus christ, way to go to miss the point.

User is offline   Mark 

I played around for a few minutes with the map. I changed the textures to just grass and dirt with a little bit of shading on some slopes. Added a simple building and a bunch of trees. A river flowing through the low valley area. I think the terrain generation thingy your using has potential.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Postpmw, on Nov 20 2009, 08:07 AM, said:

I'm making realistic urban-style mod, based on Tampere Finland.

It's really normal looking episode, there are no special tricks and highpoly-stuff or anything. Really normal. But it's so realistic as can be. There are famous public buildings and places from Tampere-city.

Looks pretty cool except I'd work more on lighting (pick a location for the Sun and work based on that) and that pavement in the last two shots doesn't look right. Are you planning on releasing it at once as one episode or map by map?

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 25 2009, 01:05 PM, said:

It's too exaggerated really. Doesn't look one bit realistic, also, aren't we past bad CS rips yet?

so what kinds of maps have you been working on that i can nit-pick? i want to be just like you.

View PostSangman, on Nov 25 2009, 03:00 PM, said:

Those hills are a cool concept but you're cocking it up making it look like that :)

i think you miss the point about it being a BETA map. its not tiled or anything its just a TEST MAP.
you know, your wellcome to make your own tiles? it would be cool to seee what you can do?

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 25 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Oh cool avoid the point. Thanks.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Nov 25 2009, 08:35 PM, said:

Oh cool avoid the point. Thanks.

Eh, what?

View PostNerdZilla, on Nov 26 2009, 02:00 AM, said:

i think you miss the point about it being a BETA map. its not tiled or anything its just a TEST MAP.

Well ok but I don't get why you need to have those tiles all over the place? What is the purpose of that?

It's a grid so you can see the terrain shifts easier.

View PostMarked, on Nov 25 2009, 05:22 PM, said:

I played around for a few minutes with the map. I changed the textures to just grass and dirt with a little bit of shading on some slopes. Added a simple building and a bunch of trees. A river flowing through the low valley area. I think the terrain generation thingy your using has potential.

Screenshots ?

View PostSangman, on Nov 26 2009, 07:32 AM, said:

Well ok but I don't get why you need to have those tiles all over the place? What is the purpose of that?

befor it had animated tiles of diferant colers. the animation would show the derection the hill goes down. and the coler let's you know the elavation of the hill.

( blue ) 512 + 1024 + 512 = 2048
( red ) 1024 + 2048 + 1024 = 4096
( green ) 2048 - 4096 + 2048 = 8192

I did'nt change the tiles because i was still working on it. im making it perfictly smooth with no small cracks in the ground.
the light blue wall tiles are easy to see in between the dark brown ground tiles.

This post has been edited by NerdZilla: 26 November 2009 - 09:04 AM

you know how in duke he never has his gun down because theres no animation for shoting his gun.
well, i have a simple idea for a gun draw animation. if anyone wants to hear me out?

User is offline   pmw 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Nov 26 2009, 04:26 AM, said:

Looks pretty cool except I'd work more on lighting (pick a location for the Sun and work based on that) and that pavement in the last two shots doesn't look right. Are you planning on releasing it at once as one episode or map by map?

One episode, I think. And I'm currently shading my maps. And I really don't know about that pavement, it's really same-looking as in real life, what tile it should be then? Any advice?

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options