Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 362 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

You can' t take a picture of a monster fighting you, that's the problem :dukegoof:

Should i post a picture of the map in mapster? That would be odd too.

But i don't think that i have to show anything, and i don't think i said that you guys work is bad.

Who the hell is zaxtor?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Do you not know how to take screenshots while playing eduke or something?
Just either show us a shot of this level of the mod or the work you speak of.

Anyone can state they are doing all these things in words but as it is known, actions speak louder than words.
Or in this case, pictures/media.

For several months now you have been going on about this so called mod you are working on, all I have seen so far was some crappy video with music (I don't care about the music) a screenshot of some moogle thing and another video with some spawning liztroopers.

Do you actually have anything worth showing?

Well that depends on what you like, as i stated earlier, i play with my feeling in the game i play. If i want the game to be as i want it, i need to have these things. I am really not good at making detailed maps as gambini, i guess emericaskator is a little bit good at it too. I just prefer action over outdated eyecandy. And duke nukem is a first class action game, so why not just give it full power instead of using hours for the small details that only takes a few seconds to walk past? Do you see what i mean. If i have to post a picture then it will be of an outdoor area. You can't compare my big outdoor area with an indoor area with lots of small things. The big free places aren't supposed to be very detailed, they are supposed to be sloped in the right way and with plants that are placed correctly. So showing you a picture will be a waste of time.
So you will probably not like it because you like the small details. The mod is for people who like a big adventure game with lots of secret bosses and secret areas. A bit of grinding for the correct gear setup. A monster arena so you can test your strength against the strongest monsters on the fields.

And no, 2 maps is not a lot in a year. But i'm not using all the time i have on making maps or coding weapons, i think of something that i think would be cool to include.

I already said once that i am sorry if i offended emericaskator about the stuff i said to him. But he shouldn't take it seriously. It's just a forum anyway. If i dont want to post a picture, then i don't do it. So stop asking please.

This post has been edited by Jhect: 09 April 2011 - 10:44 AM

User is offline   zykov eddy 

You guys rock. Srsly.

Thumb up then!!!

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostJhect, on 09 April 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

So you will probably not like it because you like the small details.

A map doesn't need Gambini-like details to look good. Things like lighting, architecture and texturing get you far. If your map(s) has none of these qualities then it's likely going to suck. Focusing on gameplay/action is no excuse for poor design because design and gameplay are not mutually exclusive (except within a given time frame).

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 09 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

Well that's what i just told you didn't i? It's a matter of taste.

User is offline   Loke 

Been working for about a week on a new map which is supposed to be, more or less, an homage to the sci-fi horror movie The Thing by John Carpenter. I have no real plans to make it as a normal map with enemies but rather a showcase together with exploration and a lot of stuff from the movie. It's not a hundred percent accurate due to engine limitations and my own but I'm trying to keep it as close as possible.
Don't know if I'll release it since people might not be really interesting in such a project though it might be interesting to other fellow fans of the movie.

Looks a bit drab but it's still WIP so it might change down the road.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PS: Copy 'n' paste FTW.

User is offline   CruX 

I'm digging it! If I were you I wouldn't sweat recreating the base 100%, since there weren't enough shots in the movie to get a full design out of it anyway. There's some places you'll just have to wing it.

User is offline   Gambini 

@Loke: That looks fantastic! I know shit about the movie, but still can´t wait to play your map.

User is offline   Sebastian 

Man, that looks great! Great work with textures.
The Thing is one of my absolute favorite horror movies. Can't wait to see what you do with the kennel.

Oddly enough I can somehow see the map working great as a DM or Invasion type map. Looking forward to it!

Looks awesome, love the style.

View PostGambini, on 10 April 2011 - 12:34 AM, said:

@Loke: That looks fantastic! I know shit about the movie, but still can´t wait to play your map.

That's too bad, Gambini. It's a kickass horror movie from a great director, if you like the genre and are not disgusted by splatter details, check it for sure.

User is offline   Loke 

Thanks all.

View PostEmericaSkater, on 09 April 2011 - 05:23 PM, said:

I'm digging it! If I were you I wouldn't sweat recreating the base 100%, since there weren't enough shots in the movie to get a full design out of it anyway. There's some places you'll just have to wing it.

True. I'm using some pictures from Outpost #31 as references and taking still shots from the movie itself though I have to use my imagination for most of it since it's not all too clear in the movie.

View PostLoke, on 10 April 2011 - 05:29 AM, said:

Thanks all.

True. I'm using some pictures from Outpost #31 as references and taking still shots from the movie itself though I have to use my imagination for most of it since it's not all too clear in the movie.

Did you ever play the game?

View PostLoke, on 09 April 2011 - 05:02 PM, said:

Been working for about a week on a new map which is supposed to be, more or less, an homage to the sci-fi horror movie The Thing by John Carpenter. I have no real plans to make it as a normal map with enemies but rather a showcase together with exploration and a lot of stuff from the movie. It's not a hundred percent accurate due to engine limitations and my own but I'm trying to keep it as close as possible.Don't know if I'll release it since people might not be really interesting in such a project though it might be interesting to other fellow fans of the movie.

It's been quite a while since I've seen The Thing, but from what I remember of it, especially if you're going to include outdoor areas too, it seems like it would make a great Dukematch map, so you should post it anyway. Even going with the plot of the film, a paranoid multiplayer slaughterfest even makes sense.

View PostJhect, on 09 April 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

Do you see what i mean. If i have to post a picture then it will be of an outdoor area. You can't compare my big outdoor area with an indoor area with lots of small things. The big free places aren't supposed to be very detailed, they are supposed to be sloped in the right way and with plants that are placed correctly. So showing you a picture will be a waste of time.

Is this the map you designed the auto-sloper for? Even if you don't want to post a screenshot, it could be fun to slow down the process of the actor so it can be observed, and then fraps it and post it as a tech demo.

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 10 April 2011 - 08:47 AM

User is offline   Loke 

View PostSebastian, on 10 April 2011 - 07:56 AM, said:

Did you ever play the game?

Unfortunately no. I remember seeing a few videos showing the first few levels on YouTube a while ago, might be worth checking out.

It's been quite a while since I've seen The Thing, but from what I remember of it, especially if you're going to include outdoor areas too, it seems like it would make a great Dukematch map, so you should post it anyway. Even going with the plot of the film, a paranoid multiplayer slaughterfest even makes sense.

Yeah, the map will have a outdoor section though most of the work and details will be inside the base. The player starts a bit away from the base and have to walk past some snowy landscape in order to reach it just to set the mood a bit and for some nice open landscape opposed to the narrow claustrophobic hallways present inside the base.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I love the Thing, and if you finished a map based around it and didn't release it, I'd find your address and show up at your house.

Can i repeat those screenshots are amazing? It´s just that i can´t stop watching them :dukegoof:

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

@Loke: Eventually you will have to add monsters, and it would be a bit disappointing if it just had the standard Duke ones. If you wanted to make it a mini-TC, it wouldn't be too much trouble too add some new monsters like you see here:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

hahaha you´re like a salesman that walks door by door with his bag of... monsters! :dukegoof:

Where are those from? i see an octabrain clone there!

I don´t want to disagree or start an argument but i sense this one as an awesome usermap that doesn´t need anything else than a map file!

Monsters from Doom wads. How original.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View Postzykov eddy, on 10 April 2011 - 07:15 PM, said:

Eh, they're pretty good sprite edits.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostLoke, on 10 April 2011 - 09:52 AM, said:

Unfortunately no. I remember seeing a few videos showing the first few levels on YouTube a while ago, might be worth checking out.

Yeah, the map will have a outdoor section though most of the work and details will be inside the base. The player starts a bit away from the base and have to walk past some snowy landscape in order to reach it just to set the mood a bit and for some nice open landscape opposed to the narrow claustrophobic hallways present inside the base.

Your last map was great and it looks like you'll top that with this one.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I thought it would be better to have monsters that came closer to matching the theme of the map. As a player, I'm very tired of every alien/horror themed map being populated with standard eggs/newbeasts. But it's not worth it to me if people are going to bitch about ripped sprites, violation of Duke purity, or whatever. So nevermind.

User is offline   Lunick 

I would like to see some new enemies added to the maps, I don't care what game they come from unless it was a really bad edit.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

The Arachnotron/Octabrain hybrid is kind of cool. I have no idea what the egg thing (?) is supposed to be, though. Just something that hatches into the little Doom 3 spider/ticks?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostPlagman, on 10 April 2011 - 10:45 PM, said:

The Arachnotron/Octabrain hybrid is kind of cool. I have no idea what the egg thing (?) is supposed to be, though. Just something that hatches into the little Doom 3 spider/ticks?

If you ask me it looks like a dead version of Audrey 2 from Little shop of horrors aha

The spiders could actually work well. Especially if you remember that one scene in the movie...

User is offline   CruX 

View Postzykov eddy, on 10 April 2011 - 07:15 PM, said:

Yeah, almost as original as those ass-bleedingly terrible model rips you used for the third installment of the a.dream trilogy. :dukegoof:
I second DT, there's plenty of cool things that can still be done with vanilla Duke, but it'd be nice to see some new stuff, too. Even in if it's just one or two new enemies, any variety's better than no variety, and there's plenty of cool stuff to pluck off of Realm667.

Share this topic:

• 362 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options