Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 348 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is online   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostAleks, on 17 August 2022 - 08:41 AM, said:

BTW, Oasiz, I suggest you should make a new thread for this thing....

Ok, you win.
https://forums.duke4...ge__pid__373434

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I hate video editing and it makes my poor laptop scream in pain. Nevertheless I made a little video for the cheerbot I coded recently. sebabdukeboss20 continues to amaze with his character sprites -- I ask him for a sprite sheet with such-and-such animations and boom there it is done perfectly.

The update with this enemy hasn't actually been released yet which is why I have the video set to unlisted.

User is offline   dandouglas 

Another mod update - the single most complex set piece I've attempted yet.

User is online   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

That's a lot of hitags!

User is offline   ck3D 

View Postdandouglas, on 13 September 2022 - 10:59 AM, said:

Even more so than the destruction sequence itself (which does look neat) I'm a big fan of what you have going on here with the open urban landscape and scenery complete with moving cars, is this part of the actual map and the bridge collapsing something that will affect gameplay (even just by existing and destroying one possible path in the level) or did you set those visuals up as something separate and specifically for the camera sequence? Really cool either way, I appreciate the sense of scale there and hope this vibe comes through in the explorable environment in the final product. Also really appreciate the glitchy camera effects and shaking then off to 'no signal' - some really cool and fine detail.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 13 September 2022 - 01:07 PM

User is online   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Quick idea that popped in to my mind, basically combining the more traditional SOS vent style but now with TROR and sprite constructs.
You could mask this better with some custom textures (i.e. modified stock for sides of vent).. or just not use slopes :)

This should give some interesting ways to create airducts.... I guess you can colour them green and finally have your mario pipes in duke.
Of course you could make everything with sprites but what's the fun with that.

I have no clue if these "mid-room TROR" ducts have been done before but now you know.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309341856729268228/1019351461466996736/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309341856729268228/1019351461768994926/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/309341856729268228/1019351910345617408/unknown.png

User is online   MC84 

View Postdandouglas, on 13 September 2022 - 10:59 AM, said:

very cool! any plans to feature that young bloke that yelled "Andrew you're a sick old man" during the funeral procession? - he's become my hero of 2022

User is offline   dandouglas 

View Postck3D, on 13 September 2022 - 01:04 PM, said:

Even more so than the destruction sequence itself (which does look neat) I'm a big fan of what you have going on here with the open urban landscape and scenery complete with moving cars, is this part of the actual map and the bridge collapsing something that will affect gameplay (even just by existing and destroying one possible path in the level) or did you set those visuals up as something separate and specifically for the camera sequence? Really cool either way, I appreciate the sense of scale there and hope this vibe comes through in the explorable environment in the final product. Also really appreciate the glitchy camera effects and shaking then off to 'no signal' - some really cool and fine detail.

Cheers! The sequence has been set up as a static camera vignette (the river depiction is scaled down) but you've given me an idea to perhaps recreate an area of it full-size with more detail to use as part of the main game world! Would be cool for the player to be told to cross the river, only to see this sequence and then have to find an alternative route.

User is offline   ck3D 

View Postdandouglas, on 14 September 2022 - 12:48 PM, said:

Cheers! The sequence has been set up as a static camera vignette (the river depiction is scaled down) but you've given me an idea to perhaps recreate an area of it full-size with more detail to use as part of the main game world! Would be cool for the player to be told to cross the river, only to see this sequence and then have to find an alternative route.

I would love to see that, honestly almost looks like a mini level in itself (reminds me of Golden Carnage's base principle a little bit) as far as into the little layout you have going on. Mapster rescaling tools are so powerful these days, I reckon you would barely have to retouch much and could use 90% of what you've already built there as the foundation of something. Could have it as a secret level in your project or alternative timeline where instead of witnessing the event live on TV, Duke is on location being a part of it (maybe even responsible for it). Either way, stoked you're vibing with the idea, good luck with everything, love to see it.

(P.S.. side note, but 'pannel' [sic] always gets me)

This post has been edited by ck3D: 15 September 2022 - 01:27 AM

I know it's been...quite some time since I posted anything about the progress of Mario Kart 64 TOWN, and it's taken a hell of a lot longer than I originally planned, but, believe me, I'm still procrastinating working on it.

Screen #1 is in the northwest part of the map, in the general area where the player starts.
Screen #2 is atop a building roof, south of the center of the map, looking toward the southeast.
Screen #3 is at the St. Cedric Memorial Church, inside the chapel (no points for guessing who "St. Cedric" is/was, by the way).
Screen #4 is on the east side of the map, at a bridge that crosses a drainage ravine-type thing, looking toward the northwest.
Screen #5 is near a park-type area on the north side of the map.
Screen #6 is atop a hill in the southwest corner of the map.
I know the renderer in Mapster is eating shit throughout these screenshots, but unfortunately, it seems like there aren't any renderer options that can handle such large sector sizes (even before taking all the TROR into account). Also, in screen #4, there's a vertical line, just a few pixels long, extending upward from one of the building roofs. That line is not a graphical glitch; it's actually a transmission tower near the north edge of the map (the same one that can be seen more clearly in screen #5).

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0000.png
  • Attached Image: capt0001.png
  • Attached Image: capt0002.png
  • Attached Image: capt0003.png
  • Attached Image: capt0004.png
  • Attached Image: capt0005.png

User is offline   ck3D 

^ I love your crafty approach too, regarding the engine struggling with rendering large spaces I've been confronted to that issue multiple times over the past few years working on my own project (some of the levels are open terrain that are close to maximal - extended - Mapster grid size) and have been getting closer and closer to figuring out the exact culprit, but that seems to happen when one of the boundary walls of your map is too long. For a while I thought it had to be internal walls crossing this or that FOV, but it really seems to be the drawing of the external map boundaries that will mess things up by somehow conflicting. Try inserting vertices there every 8192 units if your resources allow, seems to be a safe zone (can't remember if I've successfully solved it with less expensive, more practical 16384 or longer unit gaps before - I might have) and I've managed to fix nearly all of the rendering conflicts in my maps by simply doing that. That's one particularly weird type of glitch you're getting though, maybe TROR specific and completely unrelated?

This post has been edited by ck3D: 15 September 2022 - 04:03 AM

User is offline   Graphics 

Thought I would share what I'm working on. It's a little island that is about 512kb in file size at about 1500 sectors and about 5000 walls. I just love how well the build engine performs sometimes. To think, this could have been on DOS at a slightly smaller scale.

Anyways, hope you're all doing well. Been checking out the amazing work around here. Keep it up!

Here's some pictures of my map as well as a mod I'm working on. Glad to be back to this fun hobby.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0043.png
  • Attached Image: capt0044 (1).png
  • Attached Image: duke0009.5.png

Share this topic:

• 348 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options