Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is online   ck3D 

View Postdandouglas, on 11 July 2022 - 12:41 AM, said:

Currently it's looking like 14 maps files in total, however several are joined using Danukem's hub map code so more like 8 separate areas. The individual maps are going to be relatively small, with very high wall-counts - I'm mindful of performance but everything runs fine on my 10-year-old PC.

The whole experience is going to be fairly linear, with Half-Life-style progression, targeting around an hour of gameplay for the average player.

I'm aware that 14 map files is extremely ambitious for a solo project, but I'm looking at this in terms of years instead of months. I knew nothing about mapping or modding a year ago and I'm still just really enjoying the learning process, so I'm in no rush to release. I still have no clue about enemy placement, balance or creating interesting combat scenarios so I'm studying a lot of user maps and mods to try and get an idea of what works.

14 maps is exactly the stage my current project is, I've also been doing it solo, am wrapping it up before the end of the year and for reference, the whole process lasted three years. I remember being at your exact stage not so long ago, launching myself with a specific vision but into something I knew would doom my spare time for an eerily unknown number of years, but you get into the groove and end up working exponentially fast as the project keeps materializing, myself I was surprised and eventually it's just so satisfying seeing the pieces come together. One big thing I didn't have to worry about (unlike you) was omnipresent new .art, but the time I would have spent on that I probably did spend on developing other aspects instead so I think the comparison stands although the individual projects are so different. Maybe you'll surprise yourself! Good luck!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 11 July 2022 - 03:01 AM

User is offline   dandouglas 

View Postck3D, on 11 July 2022 - 03:00 AM, said:

14 maps is exactly the stage my current project is, I've also been doing it solo, am wrapping it up before the end of the year and for reference, the whole process lasted three years. I remember being at your exact stage not so long ago, launching myself with a specific vision but into something I knew would doom my spare time for an eerily unknown number of years, but you get into the groove and end up working exponentially fast as the project keeps materializing, myself I was surprised and eventually it's just so satisfying seeing the pieces come together. One big thing I didn't have to worry about (unlike you) was omnipresent new .art, but the time I would have spent on that I probably did spend on developing other aspects instead so I think the comparison stands although the individual projects are so different. Maybe you'll surprise yourself! Good luck!

Thanks so much! I'm super impressed by the speed at which you can map, I'm nowhere near that yet but things are certainly getting faster. Can't wait to play Blast Radius, I love your visual style and the scale of the project is mindblowing.

User is offline   Aleks 

Now something from a bit of a different perspective...
Attached Image: duke0112.png Attached Image: duke0113.png

User is offline   Seb Luca 

Original ! I don't believe I've ever seen a gym as an environment in DN3D :)
Also, the city in the background is very pretty!

This post has been edited by Seb Luca: 14 July 2022 - 09:19 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSeb Luca, on 14 July 2022 - 09:18 AM, said:

Original ! I don't believe I've ever seen a gym as an environment in DN3D :)

There have been a few. Forge made one for the Gladitorium level and there's at least one other. But they are rare.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Those alien bastards are gonna pay for screwin' up my cardio session.

User is offline   Dr.Panico 

View PostDanukem, on 14 July 2022 - 11:49 AM, said:

There have been a few. Forge made one for the Gladitorium level and there's at least one other. But they are rare.

There's also a gym in the last level of the DNF2013 DLC and in a old Papamonos level called "The Return".

User is offline   Aleks 

Thanks guys, yeah gym is quite an uncommon theme in a Duke map, but I was surprised how fitting some of the spriteworks are, also effects like conveyor belts for the treadmills (here with 2 speed settings thanks to also using the obscure half-speed SE34) or floor rise for lifting weights come quite naturally. I remember there was a gym in DavoX' stadium remake and also in one of the Kucera maps I think, there's also been the swimming pool in Roch 6 and maps like YMCA.

To be honest, I mostly posted these screenshots after noticing how neat the view outside of the windows look there :P

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

*cold wind sfx*

or just a better screenshot to show the level's atmosphere

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0006.png

User is offline   jimbob 

love it :) are those sector crows?

• Senior Artist at TGK

Thanks! Made with two sprites.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Hand holding tripbomb haha

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostFox, on 15 July 2022 - 04:08 PM, said:

Hand holding tripbomb haha

Posted Image

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View Postbrullov, on 15 July 2022 - 09:30 AM, said:

*cold wind sfx*

"Fate Of the Damned" just started playing in my head.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I've been working some ice block / ice physics stuff for the upcoming Demon Throne DLC episode.

I made some eggs you can throw

User is offline   Graphics 

I haven't been working on anything lately. But I have been coming by to check out what's new. Excellent work guys. To say this isn't an art form is like saying there is no imagination behind it. You're all artist in my books. Keep it up and I hope you're all doing well.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postbrullov, on 15 July 2022 - 09:30 AM, said:

*cold wind sfx*

Love the clever texturing to achieve the lamps.

A few more WIP shots, gradually getting more confident with spritework

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 1.png
  • Attached Image: 2.png
  • Attached Image: 3.png

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

View Postdandouglas, on 26 July 2022 - 12:54 PM, said:

In the first shot, is all of the upper geometry spritebridges or is that TROR?

In the second shot, is the sign an angled sprite or a 3D model?

Been loving following this on twitter btw, keep it up

This post has been edited by Reaper_Man: 27 July 2022 - 05:27 AM

View PostReaper_Man, on 27 July 2022 - 05:27 AM, said:

In the first shot, is all of the upper geometry spritebridges or is that TROR?

In the second shot, is the sign an angled sprite or a 3D model?

Been loving following this on twitter btw, keep it up

Cheers! The first shot is all sprites - I'm using TROR in the mod but only sparingly. The second shot is 8 flat sprites arranged into the bollard (plus an extra one for the shadow).

User is offline   Sanek 

View Postdandouglas, on 26 July 2022 - 12:54 PM, said:

The last shot reminds me of the old REDRUM mod with the same custom art aesthetics. If anyone remembers this one.

User is offline   jimbob 

doing a quick test of the sniper rifle, i still havent figured out how to properly get the scope to work yet but i will eventually.

This post has been edited by jimbob: 01 August 2022 - 04:39 PM

User is offline   MC84 

View Postjimbob, on 01 August 2022 - 04:38 PM, said:

doing a quick test of the sniper rifle, i still havent figured out how to properly get the scope to work yet but i will eventually.

How many frames is that reloading animation? It's very nice and smooth!

User is offline   jimbob 

a lot, like 20 frames. i shot a video and extracted the frames.

[edit] its 31 frames

This post has been edited by jimbob: 02 August 2022 - 12:39 PM

User is offline   jimbob 

so are there any mods that use a sniper with a scope? so i cake a look at how they fixed the rendering of the weapon alternating between scoped and non scoped view?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjimbob, on 05 August 2022 - 12:10 PM, said:

so are there any mods that use a sniper with a scope? so i cake a look at how they fixed the rendering of the weapon alternating between scoped and non scoped view?

A little history.

Helixhorned wrote the first version of the zoom code that I use, and he wrote it for WGR2. Before that I did a shitty thing in my mods where instead of proper zooming (which requires changing the aspect ratio) I would move the camera in front of the player. Anyway, since Helixhorned wrote it I have made a few changes to improve it a bit and keep it compatible with eduke updates but essentially it is his code from about 10 years ago. Since then the code has made its way into other mods.

Anyway, here is the main part. This code is executed when the player is holding the gun. You don't need the parts about visibility unless you want using the scope to brighten up the game world -- I do like that feature though because otherwise it gets much darker when viewing a far away area. The "vr" variable stands for "viewing range" and it is fed into the setaspect command which is consantly being exectuted in a _display event_ I presume you are already doing that. For more information download Demon Throne from Mod Database and look through the code. Pasting in that code below will not be enough by itself, you have to integrate it with your mod and do commonsense things like remove the zoom if the player suddenly switches weapons while zoomed.

ifvare vr -1
			{
				setvarvar vrhi viewingrange
				setvarvar vrlo vrhi, divvar vrlo 2
				setvarvar vr vrhi
			}

ifvarvarg vr vrlo subvar vr 3072

setvarvar temp MAPVISIBILITY, subvar temp 96  // vis range
			setvarvar tempc vrhi, subvarvar tempc vrlo  // vr range, we could just take vrlo...

setvarvar tempb vr, subvarvar tempb vrlo  // vr-vrlo
			mulvarvar tempb temp, divvarvar tempb tempc  // ((vr-vrlo)*(hivis-lovis))/(vrhi-vrlo)
			addvarvar tempb 96

setuserdef[THISACTOR].const_visibility tempb

User is offline   jimbob 

View PostDanukem, on 05 August 2022 - 12:52 PM, said:

A little history.

Helixhorned wrote the first version of the zoom code that I use, and he wrote it for WGR2. Before that I did a shitty thing in my mods where instead of proper zooming (which requires changing the aspect ratio) I would move the camera in front of the player. Anyway, since Helixhorned wrote it I have made a few changes to improve it a bit and keep it compatible with eduke updates but essentially it is his code from about 10 years ago. Since then the code has made its way into other mods.

Anyway, here is the main part. This code is executed when the player is holding the gun. You don't need the parts about visibility unless you want using the scope to brighten up the game world -- I do like that feature though because otherwise it gets much darker when viewing a far away area. The "vr" variable stands for "viewing range" and it is fed into the setaspect command which is consantly being exectuted in a _display event_ I presume you are already doing that. For more information download Demon Throne from Mod Database and look through the code. Pasting in that code below will not be enough by itself, you have to integrate it with your mod and do commonsense things like remove the zoom if the player suddenly switches weapons while zoomed.

ifvare vr -1
			{
				setvarvar vrhi viewingrange
				setvarvar vrlo vrhi, divvar vrlo 2
				setvarvar vr vrhi
			}

ifvarvarg vr vrlo subvar vr 3072

setvarvar temp MAPVISIBILITY, subvar temp 96  // vis range
			setvarvar tempc vrhi, subvarvar tempc vrlo  // vr range, we could just take vrlo...

setvarvar tempb vr, subvarvar tempb vrlo  // vr-vrlo
			mulvarvar tempb temp, divvarvar tempb tempc  // ((vr-vrlo)*(hivis-lovis))/(vrhi-vrlo)
			addvarvar tempb 96

setuserdef[THISACTOR].const_visibility tempb

right now im using the event_drawrooms ( or similar, im kinda toasted ) to set the zoom level to about 50%, the thing is i have the scope set up with the var onscope, wich changes the rendering to just a still image of the crosshairs, i have coded the rifle at various intervalls to play certain reload sounds and or spawn shells, wich obviously dont occur when using the scope since its just all frames set to tile X. i could just change all the frames to render A when not using the scope, and render B when it does use the scope but that sounds like a lot of redundancy. i also set the spread of the weapon to be X when not using the scope, and Y when you do use the scope, but because i swich off the scope right after taking the shot, and just before the shot actually occurs the spread is set to the non scoped and inacurate view... i could ofcourse just create two seperate but nearly identical rendering options where A uses the normal weapon animation and B does the same, but plays just one still image but technically acts the same as A except for the image that is actually rendered. i was just hoping there was a easier and more efficient option.
then theres the whole holding the scope button switches to on/off every tick thing i have to sort out, so an example of the implemetation would be nice. ( i have now set it to event_lookup iirc but that also causes the player to come out of crouch )
anyway, i shouldnt drink and code :P i'll look at it tomorow

This post has been edited by jimbob: 05 August 2022 - 02:00 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Oops, I didn't notice which thread this was in. I thought we were in the code help thread which is why I posted that code.

User is offline   juvenite 

Just wanted to share that I'm working on a youtube series rating and ranking jank of older usermade Duke projects. Should be fun! If any of you have some recommendations for projects, I'd appreciate it.

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options