Duke4.net Forums: It's that time again - New Rig The Sequel - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

It's that time again - New Rig The Sequel

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's time to shop for a new build. I've got some money coming in and it's perfect timing now that my good ol' Beast from 9 years ago has kicked it. I'm completely lost. Tell me what I need or if things suck. There are all kinds of newfangled hardwares going on like card-based solid state drives and stuff (though I've read these aren't reliable somehow?). I got about $2000 CAD to spend. Give me some advice. I'd like to be game-proof for the next few years similar to the afore-mentioned build when I got a Sandy Bridge and a GTX 460 Fermi card (and later a 970). I'd be still using it if it weren't for the mobo dying. I can probably reuse some parts like the PSU and the case too. I'm mildly interested in upping my game (no pun intended) for a 1440p 144hz visual experience but I'm not married to it. Although, more desktop space does sound nice for studio work. Currently have a 27".

Anyway, here's the generic (and probably not ideal) PCPartPicker list I'm starting from.
https://ca.pcpartpic...streaming-build

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 November 2019 - 08:31 PM

User is offline   Rimantas 

I recommend HDD over SSD. SSD is faster of course, but it dies faster than HDD too. SSD drives have limited number of write cycles. HDD have unlimited and can last forever. My laptop's from 2005 HDD still doesn't show any errors during chkdsk and works flawlessly.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

In 2019 and beyond, I would highly advise against HDDs. They are just too slow. As for SSDs, you will not deplete the number of write cycles as long as you live. I think right now Samsung is the top brand. I have one and it works perfectly, and I bought it a year ago when they were $300+. They are so much cheaper now that IMO it's a no brainer.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

https://www.guru3d.c...r-review,1.html

https://www.guru3d.c...600-review.html

https://www.guru3d.c...x-review,1.html

as far as hdd vs ssd. Why not both?

the main issue with ssd's is the cost / space ratio. Get a ssd for your o/s, application, & gaming programs & an hhd for storage space.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah that seems to be the standard practice for HDDs these days, and it appears that that PCPartPicker list is doing that as well, and it's what I would have done anyway. It has a 512GB SSD card and a standard 3 TB HDD. My sister was also encouraged to get an SSD for the OS which she did. Runs super smooth.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 November 2019 - 06:10 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Just get an SSD, I wouldn't worry about the wear at all, this was a concern around 6~8 years ago but not today.

On a modern system you will want to go for an nvme, no questions asked.
I have been using SSDs as my main drives since 2012, even had 4x 60GB kingston SSDs in raid0 at one point with no failures for the 2 years I used them (now still used in various laptops).

If you want a bulk storage drive then consider getting a mechanical as a secondary due to cost.

List looks good otherwise, my only main critique is that 750w is way overkill for that build, I believe a 500w should be enough.
And I don't really know how well that lexmark SSD performs, generally Samsung/Intel has made the best performing ones in the recent years.

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice. I can reuse my current PSU so I don't even need to pick that one up on the list. How about 1440p 144hz gaming? Will the RTX 2600 Super be good enough for that? Or should I bump it up to 2700 Super?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Opinions will largely be based on previous generation, I heard there is a new 2660 variant or similar that came out recently that's pretty good ?

I think 2060 will be just enough but you will not be running high settings with that AND hit over 100. In previous gen, the 1070 was more of the "1440p card"
I have a gtx1080 + 120Hz 1080p panel on my laptop, while it's slightly less performant than a desktop variant, it's stil enough for a rather stable med-high/high at 120Hz in most games.

For 2xxx series, I would likely go for 2070 if I wanted more reliably get higher rates with current gen.
Generally more importantly stuff like gsync will help to offset that. If you don't have gsync, I would limit to 120Hz or slightly less.
I would easily take even 100Hz Gsync over an 144Hz screen since the ideal situation is harder to attain in games, especially with higher fps.
Do not always expect to hit 144, it's generally a harder goal to hit than stable 60.

FYI, some freesync panels work with nvidia cards nowdays.

• The Sarien Encounter

Great advice, thank you.

• The Sarien Encounter

So I made some money from a recent music gig and decided to shop for a new PC again because the OP of this thread didn't quite pan out. Anyway, I was perusing Amazon and Newegg looking to see if there were any video cards available because there's not much point in buying a new system and being stuck on an old GTX 970. I decided to look for the cheapest RTX 2060 card I could find because I wanted raytracing in some form. Everything was over $1100 CAD. Except one. It was a bundle for a 2060, a Ryzen 5 3600X CPU, and an 850W PSU. For $995. That means the card's price itself was $570. Still high, and it's the lowest tier card in the 20 series, but given the current availability of GPUs I'd say it was a steal. The next cheapest card of the same model was $1103 just by itself. It took a bit for me to find it because it wasn't coming up in conventional searches. But there it was. I was right ready to buy it up right then because I figured this couldn't be here long before somebody else snatched it up, but I took the time to build a system based around that CPU and this is what I selected:

-Ryzen 5 4600X 6-core 3.8Ghz (4.4 Ghz max boost) CPU
-ASUS Rog STRIX Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
-Gigabyte X570 AORUS Ultra AMD X570 motherboard
-G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32 GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 RAM
-Corsair Hydro Series H100i RGB Platinum SE liquid cooling and fans CPU cooler
-Rosewill CAPSTONE 850M 850W modular PSU
-Fractal Design Define 7 White/Brushed Aluminum/Steel/Tempered Glass case
-Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB NVMe SSD

And pulled the trigger. I was half-worried that the video card in this bundle was not actually available and that it would come up empty. But everything was shipped yesterday and is on its way to me. This bundle is still up on Newegg.ca (Newegg.com lists it as no longer available). I'm surprised this was even there unless it just wasn't readily visible and nobody stumbled across it. Because one could buy the bundle and just sell extra CPU and PSU. Oh well, I got a new system coming now. Tracking says by this Friday but realistically I'm expecting it next week.

I was going to spring for a new monitor too for extra desktop space (something 4k or even 1440p), but that'[ll have to wait for a while. Looking forward to the build.

• The Sarien Encounter

It came in while I was streaming.

https://www.twitch.t...deos/1005081774

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 April 2021 - 09:35 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 28 April 2021 - 02:04 PM, said:

So I made some money from a recent music gig and decided to shop for a new PC again because the OP of this thread didn't quite pan out. Anyway, I was perusing Amazon and Newegg looking to see if there were any video cards available because there's not much point in buying a new system and being stuck on an old GTX 970. I decided to look for the cheapest RTX 2060 card I could find because I wanted raytracing in some form. Everything was over $1100 CAD. Except one. It was a bundle for a 2060, a Ryzen 5 3600X CPU, and an 850W PSU. For $995. That means the card's price itself was $570. Still high, and it's the lowest tier card in the 20 series, but given the current availability of GPUs I'd say it was a steal. The next cheapest card of the same model was $1103 just by itself. It took a bit for me to find it because it wasn't coming up in conventional searches. But there it was. I was right ready to buy it up right then because I figured this couldn't be here long before somebody else snatched it up, but I took the time to build a system based around that CPU and this is what I selected:

-Ryzen 5 4600X 6-core 3.8Ghz (4.4 Ghz max boost) CPU
-ASUS Rog STRIX Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
-Gigabyte X570 AORUS Ultra AMD X570 motherboard
-G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32 GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 RAM
-Corsair Hydro Series H100i RGB Platinum SE liquid cooling and fans CPU cooler
-Rosewill CAPSTONE 850M 850W modular PSU
-Fractal Design Define 7 White/Brushed Aluminum/Steel/Tempered Glass case
-Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB NVMe SSD

And pulled the trigger. I was half-worried that the video card in this bundle was not actually available and that it would come up empty. But everything was shipped yesterday and is on its way to me. This bundle is still up on Newegg.ca (Newegg.com lists it as no longer available). I'm surprised this was even there unless it just wasn't readily visible and nobody stumbled across it. Because one could buy the bundle and just sell extra CPU and PSU. Oh well, I got a new system coming now. Tracking says by this Friday but realistically I'm expecting it next week.

I was going to spring for a new monitor too for extra desktop space (something 4k or even 1440p), but that'[ll have to wait for a while. Looking forward to the build.

Nice rig! Wish I could afford something nearly as decent.

User is offline   jkas789 

Not gonna lie, that rig looks pretty cool. Hope you enjoy it MusicallyInspired!

• The Sarien Encounter

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. It has purdy lights lol. But really though it runs like a dream. I'm glad I wont have to worry about future-proofing for a while now yet again.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostRimantas, on 06 November 2019 - 04:22 AM, said:

I recommend HDD over SSD. SSD is faster of course, but it dies faster than HDD too. SSD drives have limited number of write cycles. HDD have unlimited and can last forever. My laptop's from 2005 HDD still doesn't show any errors during chkdsk and works flawlessly.

Drives are load-ballanced to take that into account. They probably won't last as long as certain platter drives, but putting a rust drive in your new Ryzen will completely cripple your performance.

User is offline   jkas789 

I recommend HDD over SSD. SSD is faster of course, but it dies faster than HDD too. SSD drives have limited number of write cycles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't SSDs not only faster but easier to recover data when a drive eventually fucks up?

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postjkas789, on 16 May 2021 - 04:35 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't SSDs not only faster but easier to recover data when a drive eventually fucks up?

Recovering data may be tricky in SSDs, due how its controller write the data to the cells, it still possible but tricky when compare to HDDs.
Sometimes if the controller went dead and the data just could not read at all, it's still possible to read those cells to read the data but I think it won't be easily like recovering data from faulty HDDs and not sure if that would changing in future.

And still, no matter what, BACKUP YOU IMPORTANT DATA from your any of drives still matters.
(I personally not really sure, but...if I want buy a new computer, I'll get a SSD and HDD, SSD for OS and running things and HDD for storing data.)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 28 May 2021 - 08:28 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options