• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury Mapping

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMetHy, on 22 August 2019 - 06:08 AM, said:

I genuinely don't think we've used blend 255 (additive) in any maps, at least I haven't, although it's probably used for some gameplay stuff.

In short, on the mapping side, 129 (screen) was mostly used for gradients, lights or similar effect (the "fog" effect on the walls in z1a4; or used in combination with paletted sectors like coloured lights or nukage); and 130 (multiply) for sprite shadows and to make tainted windows.

The AMC TC uses 255 addtiive blending for gradients, lights etc, although we weren't really aware of the screen. I thought all the gradients were additive. Clearly there's a very wide degree of similarity and overlap between the two. Hopefully someone can provide some kind of disambiguation to settle my intellectual curiosity and OCD Posted Image

View PostMetHy, on 22 August 2019 - 06:08 AM, said:

A nice little tip Oasiz shared to me once is using Alpha blend 1 to make sprites 100% invisible. For instance if you look at the broken glass for the vat at the end of the train level (z4a1), the broken glass is a maskwall, so proper collision was impossible; so I faked it using sprites with a glass property, sprites of difference sizes and given blend alpha 1 to make them invisible. As a result, it looks like only the "glass" part of the maskwall can be shot.

Is there some advantage to this compared to making sprites invisible the regular way (' + i) ?

User is offline   MetHy 

The advantage is that I didn't know '+i was a thing :(

This post has been edited by MetHy: 22 August 2019 - 06:20 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

There is little to no practical difference with screen/additive beyond the fact that some times they outdo each other with different rendermodes and shade/pal combinations due to shade tables and how they work.
You kinda have to do little trial & error there.

Generally 129/255 are inter-exchangeable but 130 is the true alternative (plus super useful)

Truth is that 129 was the first one added but then it was realised that it's not truly additive and 255 was added to compensate for this.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostTruck Stop Santa Claus, on 21 August 2019 - 07:49 PM, said:

Neat!
FYI, you can press ALT W on walls to make them 1:1 aspect ratio :(
(Height is kept, width is adjusted)

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Is there a way to change FOV in mapster 3D mode?

any reason why Swing doors are acting kinda funny in Ion Fury?
My doesn't want to open right away and door close delay doesn't seem to work

This post has been edited by Truck Stop Santa Claus: 22 August 2019 - 09:44 PM

never mind, I'm not sure how but I fixed it

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Swinging doors should be the same, FYI whenever using MFX on a door, always place a DS sprite in the sector (ST20, etc..) as this will hijack the sounds over 1000 from being echo to actually playing back the sounds.

Any sound over 1000 will not work with the stock MFX, MFX+ exists to replicate some of these functions (fully trigger enabled) but it lacks some finer volume/distance parameters so the sounds will always play at baseline volume.

User is online   quakis 

I've been messing around with SE100, seeing what can be done, how to use if effectively and any of its limitations. Using a 1:1 scale for the third floor / rooftop details and it's been working great so far.

Added an overpass between two buildings; the skybox area houses its rooftop; the play zone has the actual overpass. The SE100 renders fine until I cross the overpass onto the other side and it'll stop rendering the skybox beyond the overpass as in the screenshots below.
The otherside however renders fine. All outdoor sectors are still connected together.

What should I be aware of when using SE100 in this way? Cheers.

Screenshot A: Renders
Screenshot B: Doesn't Render

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Cool!
Imagine skybox camera as a player view, it is fully chained to player x/y/z all the time, with anchor point kinda acting as the offset.
You need to make sure that the camera never goes out of bounds or a wall gets in front of it. I would recommend only lowering the ceiling when using it for a 2nd floor and leaving the area below it as "free".

Recently some features were added for the ability to stack multiple skyboxes, allowing crazy layering to be done.
This is also compatible with mirrors and tror btw.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

I also will have a basic draft on all effect sprites tomorrow. Most of the documentation for those exists in mapster already but there are very few examples. Will also bundle some of our example maps behind furymap, will give a heads up once its ok

User is online   quakis 

View Postoasiz, on 23 August 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

You need to make sure that the camera never goes out of bounds or a wall gets in front of it.

Thanks! I think my problem was related to the latter. Removing the physical rooftop design of the overpass pretty much fixes the issue. Good to know!

User is online   quakis 

Back again with another issue that's been bothering me related to wall aligned sprites and it is not something I've experience while mapping for Duke3D, potentially a new editor bug or something else?

Most of my wall aligned sprites always find themselves "reset", like they've disappeared or embedded through the wall itself. Every time this happens I have to manually fix it, either pressing "O" on each sprite (or moving them off the wall and then press "O"). Does become tedious doing this constantly whenever it happens. Again, first time experiencing this issue in Mapster so far and wondering what could be the cause here? Cheers.

Screenshot A - 2D View of sprite alignment
Screenshot B - How it appears every time they're reset
Screenshot C - Intended look

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

All of them are facing inside the void instead of outside? Maybe this might be the reason.
Have you tried checking in 8bit?
I know there are some Z offset hacks being performed for polymost so that you don't get any Z fighting.

If it works in 8bit, it sounds like those hacks are being applied.

I can still make breakable glass in this game right

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostTruck Stop Santa Claus, on 24 August 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

I can still make breakable glass in this game right

Unlike DN3D which uses maskwalls, IF uses sprites. Tiles 6223 and 6224.
You can give the same higtag to several glass sprites and they'll break together if one of them breaks, useful if you need several sprites per window. Yvel can be a channel triggered when the glass breaks, for instance in z5a1 if you break the glass window of the projection room, it'll wake up all the enemies in the room.

Also, I think you could technically fake a breakable maskwall using maskwalls, a giant invisible switch that only gets triggered by damage, copy-sector that copies the wall's attribute, an MFX+ and SP+ for sound and debris; however I'm pretty sure the invisible switch would detect an explosion from a higher range than a sprite or a DN3D maskwall would.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 August 2019 - 11:19 PM

I'm trying to make an earthquake, I set things up like I normally do and it basically works. The camera shakes and the floor slopes, but there's no sound. How can I activate the earthquake sound effect?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Earthquake will try to call a lot of the hardcoded duke stuff that doesn't exist, I would highly recommend using MFX+ for sound, wallpoint draggers to move stuff and slope FX to slope things.
It's more manual work but you get 100% control over the movement this way.

Slope / dragging is in SE and MFX+ is a separate sprite

View PostMetHy, on 24 August 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

Unlike DN3D which uses maskwalls, IF uses sprites. Tiles 6223 and 6224.
You can give the same higtag to several glass sprites and they'll break together if one of them breaks, useful if you need several sprites per window. Yvel can be a channel triggered when the glass breaks, for instance in z5a1 if you break the glass window of the projection room, it'll wake up all the enemies in the room.

Also, I think you could technically fake a breakable maskwall using maskwalls, a giant invisible switch that only gets triggered by damage, copy-sector that copies the wall's attribute, an MFX+ and SP+ for sound and debris; however I'm pretty sure the invisible switch would detect an explosion from a higher range than a sprite or a DN3D maskwall would.

thanks for the info

Recommend looking at this guide for anyone wanting to make a 3D skybox
https://steamcommuni.../?id=1844363806

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Just saying this so people can wrap their heads around it early:

Barring a few exceptions (effects that require offsetting from a wall's origin every update for example, or trying to give a sector two STs... ha), things can be overlapped and combined in IF unlike D3D. The effects system is really just a set of building blocks for the various mechanics of your level. There's basically nothing done in the game that isn't just some map effect.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Added a sample maps section to furymap
My link
Or just get the sample maps directly MYLIN~1.ZIP

Is there a way to make the player start weaponless? or only with the Electrifier? i know for Duke 3D you have to make the floor below the player a specific tile, if it's done the same then, what tile is it here?.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMblackwell, on 27 August 2019 - 06:04 PM, said:

Just saying this so people can wrap their heads around it early:

Barring a few exceptions (effects that require offsetting from a wall's origin every update for example, or trying to give a sector two STs... ha), things can be overlapped and combined in IF unlike D3D. The effects system is really just a set of building blocks for the various mechanics of your level. There's basically nothing done in the game that isn't just some map effect.

I've always loved that about Build, the way the game itself is stored within the map. Maps are sooo much more than just geometry, they're a symbolic scripting system.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostLazy Dog, on 30 August 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

Is there a way to make the player start weaponless? or only with the Electrifier? i know for Duke 3D you have to make the floor below the player a specific tile, if it's done the same then, what tile is it here?.

The same trick works here if you use any of the slime tiles which damage the player. The player will end up baton-only.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Still work in progress but just a FYI that you can see most common Fury effects listed here: https://furymap.lerp.../effect-sprites
Shouldn't take more than a few good session to get the rest covered :(
Anyway, the in-editor documentation will still aid you on any missing bits.

this will be the last chance I get to post some up dates (I'm going out of town tomorrow) so here you go
Posted Image
Posted Image

Well, I'm back
And it's perfect weather for mapping right now
Posted Image

User is offline   Maisth 

Looks great!

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Remember to blend mode those lights :(

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options