Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   necroslut 

sebabdukeboss20, on 03 February 2019 - 08:16 AM, said:

I added LOTS to the Smithsonian. I had a lot of fun enhancing it considering I'm very fond of the DC museums. I really wanted the player to look around it like a real museum. And also we modified the museum so it isn't as confusing for [new] players.

Several of the DC levels - not least the Smithsonian - had keycards placed in spots that really should have been reserved for secrets. Is this something that has been changed? By now I pretty much know the DC levels already, but I always felt the whole episode would have been better with less dickish keycard placement.

Trooper Dan, on 03 February 2019 - 02:08 AM, said:

Yeaaaah! I have two reason to be happy now!
-It works, the upvote button now works!
-The first release was very nice already, with a lot of new things, i did not expect to find all this new stuff here too, expecially those animations, i was waiting for the new adventure, new weapons, monsters/aliens, not all of this, and it is just a trailer! (a stunning trailer! watched 3 times already).
Bad of you to show up this trailer 14 long days before :), Can't wait any longer!
Also, is amazing to know that you are working on the campaign too, would be awesome to play it properly with this mod (i feel to say that this is something MORE than a mod).

Ninety-Six, on 03 February 2019 - 04:14 AM, said:

I missed the initial release due to newer editions of eDuke being fairly unstable in one way or another. I hope a lot of those issues are fixed by the time this comes out.

Naaah, the eduke32 build accompained with Alien Armageddon works just fine mate, also, it was hard to find the very few and minor bugs/glitches/problems that affected it.
We have to wait 14 days, so you can give it more than a go.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

necroslut, on 03 February 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

Several of the DC levels - not least the Smithsonian - had keycards placed in spots that really should have been reserved for secrets. Is this something that has been changed? By now I pretty much know the DC levels already, but I always felt the whole episode would have been better with less dickish keycard placement.

We made a few changes to keycard locations and a few other things to make them less dickish, but most levels progress as they did originally.

User is offline   John Brown 

That's all good to hear. I remember my first ever playthrough of Duke, when I got Megaton Edition (RIP) in the summer of 2013, and I spent quite a bit of time wandering the Smithsonian map. Out of curiosity, will all the secrets remain the same as in the original expansion?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

seb posted a screenshot awhile ago that had real "you are here" signs in the smithsonian.

it looked like the map had been made from a mapster screenshot, the floorplan/layout had been altered, and there were colored markings on it to indicate stuff.

here it is.
Screenshots are gone now though. Suppose it'll be something to look for when exploring that level.

sebabdukeboss20, on 30 November 2018 - 07:09 AM, said:

Some more Smithsonian updates. The "You are Here" maps are now authentic.

Posted Image

And Metro Mayhem's arcade gets an overhaul.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Forge: 03 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

Looks like I accidentally deleted the pics. Here's the moddb version:

Posted Image

Looks great.

Version 1 was cool. Can't wait to play Duke it out in DC with this mod :)

User is offline   Marya 

sebabdukeboss20, on 03 February 2019 - 08:16 AM, said:

I added LOTS to the Smithsonian. I had a lot of fun enhancing it considering I'm very fond of the DC museums. I really wanted the player to look around it like a real museum. And also we modified the museum so it isn't as confusing for [new] players.
This is the sorta thing you don't get much in games anymore a actual level to really look around I will defintly be enjoying that level.

P.S. I Still can't upvote or downvote post..

This post has been edited by Marya: 04 February 2019 - 08:52 PM

User is online   Mark 

This site is setup so that you need 50 posts before you can upvote or downvote.

This post has been edited by Mark: 05 February 2019 - 05:28 AM

User is offline   ---- 

OK, I am late to the party, but I didn't find time to play it earlier than last week. EDIT: I also only red to page 9 (forum default) of this thread. Sorry if stuff has already been mentioned.

The new content is really amazing and as a whole it is an awesome achievement.

I have a few issues with the mod, though. :)

Please note that the follwing statements aren't saying that the mod is bad, but what (IMHO, of course) prevents it from being something really outstanding not only within the various DN3d-mods but also outside the DN3D community.

I personally find the story and the introduction of new enemies and Bombshell a bit lacking (talking Episode 5 of version 1.02). Both story and gameplay should go hand in hand and give the player more time to see, admire and learn about the enemies (yes, I am aware that the first map started out as DM map). And that needs to be within a story that suits the gameplay and the progression through the levels.
Bombshell is just there (in the intro and suddenly at a mid-bossfight). IMHO it had been better if there was some sort of story around her like that the EDF is messaging Duke about a missing agent that was investigating in the red light district of the city ... and then you rescue Bombshell who is then your NPC partner. Of course some of the strippers there were nothing but agents for another nation that now work together with the aliens and give them information. On of the aliens' first targets was the bath house that is now surrounded by aliens and Duke needs to get in and rescue the babes there (the opening scenario bath is a highlight when it comes to new content and should be featured later and within the story as a target of interest and a plot point, IMHO).
Tease the player with what will be happening, then suprise him with awesome results and let it all come together in the end.

I also don't like the precision of the railgunner aliens. If you use the railgun on far away railgun aliens yourself you have to zoom in which takes time. THe aliens on the other hand aim perfectly much too fast. In a duel they have almost perfect aim instantly while you still need to zoom in and adjust your aim. If they needed longer to aim that good and loose ther aim again when you move it would have added another layer to DN3D gameplay (again, IMHO). As it is now it is standard DN3D gameplay but with a railgun. Look, you can even use a sniper in Serious Sam and it doesn't subtract anything from the carnage parts of Serious Sam.
Here in Alien Armageddon you encounter the first Railgunner in close quarters and in a bathtub. Then they are suddenly somewhere on the roofs at several places at once firing at you. It had been better to have one scene in the level where visually not too much is happening and it is quite clear that there is one of these Railguunners firing at you from a position you can clearly see. Later the player knows that they tend to stand around on rooftops and fire at you. And don't forget to incorporate them into the story. :lol:

Conclusion: There is so much awesome stuff in the mod that it makes me a bit sad that the true potential on how to present that content and new gameplay isn't fully used.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 06 February 2019 - 08:11 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Hmm, I'm trying to think whether we have changed anything relevant to those two issues (the first map does not introduce things well, snipers are annoying) since the version you are playing. I know there have been some changes to the first map, but it still has the same floor plan and nothing new has been added storywise, so it's still not a great way to introduce the player to all the new content. I will say in its defense -- it's a very fun map, especially if you have played through it multiple times; it's just not the best intro map.

As for the snipers: there is a big damage dropoff now based on distance (I don't recall whether that was present in 1.02, but I think it is more pronounced now). These makes them less cheap. Also, unless you are within about 10 meters of them, if you strafe when they are shooting they will miss every time. They also make a little warning sound right before before. So, for the most part, you just need to just used to their behavior and they will not be a problem. The problematic snipers are the ones that shoot from far away when you aren't sure which direction they are in. In most cases you can just look at the railgun trail and figure it out (I never had a problem on the roof scene for this reason), but it can be annoying in the 1st map due to the open design.

Your comments are focused on the 1st map and the beginning of the 2nd map, so I can't tell whether you played beyond that.

User is offline   ---- 

Trooper Dan, on 06 February 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

Hmm, I'm trying to think whether we have changed anything relevant to those two issues (the first map does not introduce things well, snipers are annoying) since the version you are playing. I know there have been some changes to the first map, but it still has the same floor plan and nothing new has been added storywise, so it's still not a great way to introduce the player to all the new content. I will say in its defense -- it's a very fun map, especially if you have played through it multiple times; it's just not the best intro map.

As for the snipers: there is a big damage dropoff now based on distance (I don't recall whether that was present in 1.02, but I think it is more pronounced now). These makes them less cheap. Also, unless you are within about 10 meters of them, if you strafe when they are shooting they will miss every time. They also make a little warning sound right before before. So, for the most part, you just need to just used to their behavior and they will not be a problem. The problematic snipers are the ones that shoot from far away when you aren't sure which direction they are in. In most cases you can just look at the railgun trail and figure it out (I never had a problem on the roof scene for this reason), but it can be annoying in the 1st map due to the open design.

Your comments are focused on the 1st map and the beginning of the 2nd map, so I can't tell whether you played beyond that.

I played further but no new issues came up. Meaning that the principle is the same.

The changes to the Railgunner sound good. :)

And don't get me wrong ... it is my favourite mod for Duke so far. :lol:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 06 February 2019 - 01:35 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Dukeboss is proud to announce that version 2.0 of Alien Armageddon will be released on February 16, 2019. Weighing in at just over 150 MB, this small download packs a huge punch, expanding on Duke Nukem 3D with a host of new enemies, NPCs, weapons, Bombshell the playable character, and much more. Retro-shooter fans rejoice: we stay true to the style and attitude that makes Duke 3D one of the greatest shooters of all time.

https://www.moddb.co...n-armageddon-20

User is offline   Marya 

Forge, on 08 February 2019 - 05:11 PM, said:

Dukeboss is proud to announce that version 2.0 of Alien Armageddon will be released on February 16, 2019. Weighing in at just over 150 MB, this small download packs a huge punch, expanding on Duke Nukem 3D with a host of new enemies, NPCs, weapons, Bombshell the playable character, and much more. Retro-shooter fans rejoice: we stay true to the style and attitude that makes Duke 3D one of the greatest shooters of all time.

umm, Forge forgive me if i'm being an ass here or something,but wasn't Bombshell already playable in older versions or do you mean via multiplayer co-op dukematch? or was that a copy-paste of the description?

This post has been edited by Marya: 08 February 2019 - 09:22 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Marya, on 08 February 2019 - 09:20 PM, said:

umm, Forge forgive me if i'm being an ass here or something,but wasn't Bombshell already playable in older versions or do you mean via multiplayer co-op dukematch? or was that a copy-paste of the description?

That was copy pasted from the first paragraph of the Mod DB article. There's another paragraph that says a few things about what's in the new update, then a link to the trailer. The article does not assume that the people reading it know anything about the mod.

User is offline   Forge 

Well you know me. I put a link there and figured it would trigger curiosity to actually go look at the modDB page.

I have to stop assuming things about the human race.

Well I'm hyped. I'm counting down the days until the release of this 2.0 version of a mod I already played for a game that came out over twenty years ago (said with zero sarcasm whatsoever, I'm serious). I am genuinely more excited for this than any paid game releasing this year, with the few exceptions of Ion Maiden and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw (which doesn't even have a date yet).

I am so ready to Duke it out.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

John Brown, on 09 February 2019 - 09:09 AM, said:

Well I'm hyped. I'm counting down the days until the release of this 2.0 version of a mod I already played for a game that came out over twenty years ago (said with zero sarcasm whatsoever, I'm serious). I am genuinely more excited for this than any paid game releasing this year, with the few exceptions of Ion Maiden and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw (which doesn't even have a date yet).

I am so ready to Duke it out.

You might want to lower your expectations just a little. :)

It's a very good mod, to be sure. Since you played the previous version, this update will probably give you about 8 hours of more entertainment to experience the new content and see the easter eggs. But it's not going to change your life. And then it will probably be another several months again before there is any significant update.

I appreciate the excitement, though. The thing that I like most about classic single player games like Duke 3D is, they don't waste your time. They let you actually play the fucking game. Think about all the things we are forced to do in modern AAA games that aren't fun (obviously not all of these things apply to all modern games):
-Waiting during load times (mostly on console games)
-Waiting on mutiplayer matchmaking
-Traveling around on a big open world map to get to where the next activity starts
-Grinding for levels or loot by repeating the same activities again and again
-Watching long cutscenes
-Watching what amount to cutscenes (e.g. forced slow walking in God of War)
-Sitting around in town doing chores, such as managing inventory and crafting

When you add it all up, modern AAA games are designed to waste an enormous amount of our time. They are padded and full of little artificial goals that are supposed to stimulate us and keep us hooked, but not happy. So I'm proud to be part of a game that doesn't waste your time.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Will the 2.0 update feature my CTF map?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Micky C, on 09 February 2019 - 02:03 PM, said:

Will the 2.0 update feature my CTF map?

No, there's a whole episode that it will be part of that is only about 25% finished. A lot of the groundwork has been done -- all the AI in the game has been re-written to be team based rather than player-centric, and there's also a pathing system with enough logic to get actors to capture flags, pursue enemy flag holders, etc. I coded a CTF game type and if someone were to load up your map or any of the other ones they can play it in an unfinished state. But to avoid spoilers, the maps won't be included.

User is offline   Marya 

Trooper Dan, on 09 February 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

You might want to lower your expectations just a little. :)

It's a very good mod, to be sure. Since you played the previous version, this update will probably give you about 8 hours of more entertainment to experience the new content and see the easter eggs. But it's not going to change your life. And then it will probably be another several months again before there is any significant update.

I appreciate the excitement, though. The thing that I like most about classic single player games like Duke 3D is, they don't waste your time. They let you actually play the fucking game. Think about all the things we are forced to do in modern AAA games that aren't fun (obviously not all of these things apply to all modern games):
-Waiting during load times (mostly on console games)
-Waiting on mutiplayer matchmaking
-Traveling around on a big open world map to get to where the next activity starts
-Grinding for levels or loot by repeating the same activities again and again
-Watching long cutscenes
-Watching what amount to cutscenes (e.g. forced slow walking in God of War)
-Sitting around in town doing chores, such as managing inventory and crafting

When you add it all up, modern AAA games are designed to waste an enormous amount of our time. They are padded and full of little artificial goals that are supposed to stimulate us and keep us hooked, but not happy. So I'm proud to be part of a game that doesn't waste your time.
I do like games like Duke where you can take your time later to see the work put into the game itself, as I said before games recently rarely have moments in gameplay where you can observe the art of game making, textures,sounds, level design. Back when Duke 3d was released when things like this were definitely considered, you really feel a sense of gloom and doom in Lunar apocalypse not every area is bright and joyful, especially incubator and later alien themed maps the same goes for raw meat. your going around kicking alien butt and then find to your horror the infestation later in the map, I can't think of many games that were made today that try to play with your emotions like old games, like duke 3d did instead of wasting your time with things that you mentioned that are ultimately less fulfilling, heck this game inspired Sebabdukeboss a lot as well. I really don't think modern games would do that for him, the things in duke nukem continue to bring me back to the game even years later despite it's dated graphics. Thank you for revitalizing a game that promotes such things...even if it is just adding more to the game.

This post has been edited by Marya: 09 February 2019 - 02:58 PM

I like to think I do have realistic expectations, I'm not expecting the Holy Grail in software format or anything. I just know what I like, and this mod is exactly what I wanted (and what I've seen of version 2.0 looks like it will deliver more of that). Plus, vanilla Duke It Out in DC seemed kinda... sterile to me (compared to Nuclear Winter and especially Life's a Beach) so I'm expecting AA 2.0 to spice it up and make it interesting enough to deserve another playthrough.

That and I am just not interested in full price modern games (for all the reasons listed above too, but mostly the price and how they invariably release as glorified beta versions at best). My PC's also getting older, so it'll be a year or so before I can play, for example, Metro Exodus, but Duke mods are something I can absolutely play right now, another reason why they tend to excite me, while all those modern game trailers make me think "Cool, there's a game I'll play in a few years when they're on Steam/GOG sale". I hope it doesn't come across as ass-kissing, this project just happened to deliver exactly what I wanted when I found out about it last year, and I see no reason why version 2.0 won't do the same next week. Even if it's just eight hours of gameplay, that's eight more hours than what I'm getting from all those $60 games I'm not buying.

User is offline   ---- 

Trooper Dan, on 09 February 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

No, there's a whole episode that it will be part of that is only about 25% finished. A lot of the groundwork has been done -- all the AI in the game has been re-written to be team based rather than player-centric, and there's also a pathing system with enough logic to get actors to capture flags, pursue enemy flag holders, etc. I coded a CTF game type and if someone were to load up your map or any of the other ones they can play it in an unfinished state. But to avoid spoilers, the maps won't be included.

I sent you a PM about Alien Armageddon.

User is offline   Marya 

okay so i just found out some of my friends have the 20th anniversarry and I don't think they can play with me who only owns the megaton edition. So i have to ask how do i play multiplayer with the AA Mod even if it's just to play the current episodes?

User is offline   Jblade 

You can't play multiplayer with it as Eduke32, the engine it requires to run, doesn't have MP support for the foreseeable future.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Marya, on 11 February 2019 - 11:41 AM, said:

okay so i just found out some of my friends have the 20th anniversarry and I don't think they can play with me who only owns the megaton edition. So i have to ask how do i play multiplayer with the AA Mod even if it's just to play the current episodes?

As far as I know, any version of Duke 3D that contains all 4 episodes should work fine with AA, so you and your friends can all play the game. However:

Unfortunately, AA does not support multiplayer at this time. We would have had to go back to the old mp builds of EDuke32 (see Striker's projects) to make that viable, and we wanted to take advantage of various features and improvements to EDuke32 since then. Even when multiplayer is solid in current revisions of Eduke32, there will be a lot of work to do on AA to make it fully compatible.

User is offline   Marya 

Trooper Dan, on 11 February 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

As far as I know, any version of Duke 3D that contains all 4 episodes should work fine with AA, so you and your friends can all play the game. However:

Unfortunately, AA does not support multiplayer at this time. We would have had to go back to the old mp builds of EDuke32 (see Striker's projects) to make that viable, and we wanted to take advantage of various features and improvements to EDuke32 since then. Even when multiplayer is solid in current revisions of Eduke32, there will be a lot of work to do on AA to make it fully compatible.
so eduke does have mutiplayer compatability?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Marya, on 11 February 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

so eduke does have mutiplayer compatability?

Read this thread: https://forums.duke4...mpwhats-broken/

User is offline   Marya 

Trooper Dan, on 11 February 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

Okay, thank you, good luck with the mod, looking forward to 2.0.

This post has been edited by Marya: 11 February 2019 - 01:16 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options