Duke4.net Forums: Cutscenes for better story flow - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cutscenes for better story flow

For a long time I was bothered that the original Duke 3d game has little to no intro or odd transitions to some levels. Of course tech was different was back then too. For a long time I had the idea of making Duke 3d cutscenes for better flow of story, similar to the intro of Duke 64. I originally envisioned actual videos, but that's little labor intensive for now so I came up with trying to make still shots like the end of episodes.

The text isn't final, and it was hard trying to find a text that could write so small and match the original. I'm still not satisfied with the text. I "could" manually put in the letters from the original but that's extremely tedious and the text would have to be final final.

Opening E1L1:

Attached Image: e1l1a copy.png
Attached Image: e1l1b copy.png

Inbetween E1L2/3:
Attached Image: e1l2 copy.png

Opening E2L1 (maybe NSFW):
Spoiler

Is it simple to put in game?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm not sure at the moment, but it should be doable with some scripting. It's not as simple as dragging and dropping them in somewhere.

Given my current state of knowledge, what I would do with the first one is load up a map before E1L1 loads that was a simple dark square with nothing in it but the player, then take over the hud with the cutscene. When the cutscene is over, it loads E1L1 but skips any end of level display from the previous cutscene map. Without the insertion of the dummy map, I don't know how you would display the cutscene without having the map running in the background (which would mean your ship will crash without you seeing it).

User is offline   Jblade 

There's a new command added recently called startscreen that would make this really easy; this is a pretty neat idea I think!

I'd like see some invented cutscenes that gives a logical connection at the end of a level and the beginning of a new map. One of the most obvious is the submarine sinking event between Death Row and Toxic Dump just to add some narrative involvement, but I mean more those levels where there seems not be a real sense in the passage (that in truth are more than half in the entire game). On other hand the wiki totally explain what happens in the meantime: Duke Nukem 3D Wiki Episodes

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 10 February 2018 - 01:42 PM

User is offline   Renegado 

View PostJblade, on 10 February 2018 - 01:24 PM, said:

There's a new command added recently called startscreen that would make this really easy; this is a pretty neat idea I think!

I've been experimenting with it and EVENT_SCREEN recently so here's some quick code I whipped out to show the first two screens of E1L1. It's untested but it should work.

gamevar SCREENALPHA 255 0
gamevar CUTSCENE_STEP 0 0
gamevar CUTSCENE_SCREEN 0 0

state cutscene_cleanup
	ifvarn SCREENALPHA 255
		setvar SCREENALPHA 255
	ifvarn CUTSCENE_STEP 0
		setvar CUTSCENE_STEP 0
ends

onevent EVENT_PRELEVEL
	state cutscene_cleanup
	ifvare VOLUME 0
	{
		ifvare LEVEL 0
		{
			stopallsounds
			stopallmusic
			// ADD SOME MUSIC TRACK IF NEEDED
			// starttrackslot 7 1 
			startscreen    // FIRST SCREEN
			startscreen    // SECOND SCREEN
		}
	}
endevent

onevent EVENT_SCREEN
	ifvare RETURN 0
	ifvarg SCREENALPHA 0	// QUICK FADEOUT
	{
		screenpal 0 0 0 SCREENALPHA
		subvar SCREENALPHA 5
	}

ifvare VOLUME 0
	{
		ifvare LEVEL 0
		{
			ifvare CUTSCENE_STEP 0    // FIRST SCREEN
			{
				setvar CUTSCENE_SCREEN <insert cutscene tile number here>
				ifvare RETURN 1     // IF THE PLAYER USES ANY KEY TO SKIP THE SCENE
					setvar CUTSCENE_STEP 1     // CHANGE TO THE NEXT SCREEN
			}
			else ifvare CUTSCENE_STEP 1   // SECOND SCREEN
				setvar CUTSCENE_SCREEN <insert cutscene tile number here>
		}
	}
	rotatesprite 160 100 65536 0 CUTSCENE_SCREEN 0 0 2 0 0 xdim ydim
endevent

This post has been edited by Renegado: 10 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

This is cool, but since neither EVENT_SCREEN nor the startscreen command have any documentation, it's hard to tell what is going on here. It's interesting that you use the startscreen command twice in a row with no parameters.

It looks like the startscreen command stops the game and loops EVENT_SCREEN until the player presses a key. And the second command is buffered until a key press causes the first instance to exit?

Yeah, both the startscreen and startcutscene commands work like this. The second instance won't run until the first one is skipped by the player (or the animation ends as is the case with startcutscene).

In the code I posted EVENT_PRELEVEL will call startscreen before the level is loaded and will display what's been assigned in EVENT_SCREEN.
To show multiple screens I simply change the CUTSCENE_STEP variable whenever RETURN is set to 1 (the player pressing a key) to change the tilenum being displayed onscreen in the next instance. You could probably change the tilenum in EVENT_PRELEVEL before calling the next instance of startscreen as well.

The only documentation I used was the one present in the changelog where it was added.

Add command "startscreen" and corresponding EVENT_SCREEN.
Use startscreen to take control away from the game and display content with rotatesprite.
RETURN is set to 1 when any key is pressed, and if it is nonzero when the event ends, the screen ends and the game resumes.

Also screenpal is a new command which is similar to palfrom but works in screen display events.

This post has been edited by Renegado: 10 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

User is offline   jet_nick 

Seba can you use Dn3d style for Duke nukem model? So it coherent with the original game

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTrooper Dan, on 10 February 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

This is cool, but since neither EVENT_SCREEN nor the startscreen command have any documentation, it's hard to tell what is going on here. It's interesting that you use the startscreen command twice in a row with no parameters.

It looks like the startscreen command stops the game and loops EVENT_SCREEN until the player presses a key. And the second command is buffered until a key press causes the first instance to exit?

Sorry for the lack of documentation. There's a description of the new features in the SVN log: http://svn.eduke32.c...repname=eduke32

This post has been edited by Fox: 10 February 2018 - 05:50 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Neat idea!

View Postjet_nick, on 10 February 2018 - 03:51 PM, said:

Seba can you use Dn3d style for Duke nukem model? So it coherent with the original game

Well, I would, but I already have the Duke Forever 3d model fully rigged and textured. I changed the pants color to be bright blue to match the original game. The HRP 3d model isn't rigged when I extract it and is stuck in a certain position. Since the cutscenes are so small, I was hoping it wouldn't be too noticeable.

I'd like see some invented cutscenes that gives a logical connection at the end of a level and the beginning of a new map. One of the most obvious is the submarine sinking event between Death Row and Toxic Dump just to add some narrative involvement, but I mean more those levels where there seems not be a real sense in the passage (that in truth are more than half in the entire game). On other hand the wiki totally explain what happens in the meantime: Duke Nukem 3D Wiki Episodes

Good. I was hoping someone would bring up levels that could use some transition. I haven't played the full game in so long that I forgot which ones needed something in between.

Here's a shot of pre Overlord E2L8/9:

Attached Image: e2l9 copy.png

Any ideas for the opening Episode 3? I want to put something but I don't know what.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 10 February 2018 - 07:35 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I have the HRP Duke rigged and animated but its in mm3d format. Misfit Model 3D's own format. So if you happen to know how to use that program I could send you the model and skins. I seem to recall that Teamonster released the original Blender file for HRP Duke. I could be wrong. If he hasn't, I'll ask him to make sure its OK to release my mm3d version.

Personally I think the Duke you are using is fine.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

View PostMark., on 10 February 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

I have the HRP Duke rigged and animated but its in mm3d format. Misfit Model 3D's own format. So if you happen to know how to use that program I could send you the model and skins. I seem to recall that Teamonster released the original Blender file for HRP Duke. I could be wrong. If he hasn't, I'll ask him to make sure its OK to release my mm3d version.

Personally I think the Duke you are using is fine.

I appreciate it. But personally I like the Duke Forever model too as it has good detail for cut scenes. It's not a big deal.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 10 February 2018 - 08:31 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 10 February 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

Any ideas for the opening Episode 3? I want to put something but I don't know what.

Maybe something like this.

Panel 1
Narrative caption: TRIUMPHANT AGAINST THE ALIEN OVERLORD IN OUTER SPACE, DUKE RETURNS TO EARTH AND RESUMES HIS CIVILIAN LIFE.

Duke is on the phone at home. Dialog balloon: "Hey babe, want some sushi? We can get the all-you-can-eat lunch special at Dukai. My treat."

Dialog balloon from receiver: "Didn't you hear? Dukai closed down last week 'cuz it failed a health inspection."

Panel 2

Duke lowers the phone. "blah blah blah blah blah blah" sound is coming out of the receiver, but he ignores it and looks thoughtful

Duke Dialog (to no one in particular): "Dukai closed down? Sounds fishy."

Panel 3 (optional)

Duke is pictured heading out the door into the street.

Narrative caption at bottom of panel: ON A HUNCH, DUKE HEADS OUT TO CHECK ON THE FATE OF HIS FAVORITE SUSHI RESTAURANT...

But the cutscene after defeating the Overlord is a view of the Cycloid Emperor and that's his next target.

User is offline   stumppy84 

Yeah I never thought of it.. I always thought that the alien invasion was still going on after the Overlord fight.. and this was Dukes return to earth. I guess they didn’t really need to fill in the blanks back then.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 10 February 2018 - 10:30 PM, said:

But the cutscene after defeating the Overlord is a view of the Cycloid Emperor and that's his next target.

Good point, but nonetheless Duke still goes to Dukai at the start of episode 3 and he still needs to eat. My idea could work with a different opening narration line.

Anyway, it doesn't really need a cutscene.

Well ... by following duke levels in order, Dukai hosts the first big incubation center right in the big room *(edit: on earth)*, so i think is relevant for that (and remember "this really pisses me off"). Maybe something like a communication with a reference to "unrecognized alien activities" and so on would fill the gap.

Anyway i find this idea so great, but it's clear that some levels were put without a sense. So we are allowed to invent a storyline and find coherence between levels.

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 11 February 2018 - 02:31 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

There's a few jarring transitions within the game. For instance E2L3 to L4 (Duke suddenly ends up inside an alien space station?).
Would be nice for something to fill in the blanks there.

E1 and E3 are fine for the most part. The transition from E1L2 to L3 is perfectly explained in-game, so I'm not sure if a cut scene would really add much value to it.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMerlijn, on 11 February 2018 - 02:31 AM, said:

The transition from E1L2 to L3 is perfectly explained in-game, so I'm not sure if a cut scene would really add much value to it.

The only thing that needs to be explained is why he's not strapped to the chair :dukecigar:

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Great idea, but DNF model does not fit.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 11 February 2018 - 02:34 AM, said:

The only thing that needs to be explained is why he's not strapped to the chair :dukecigar:

I always imagined that he broke free by sheer muscular strength like Arnold in Total Recall.
Posted Image

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I was in the process of making a sprite based retelling of Duke3D's story which would tell the whole story of the game as well as all the "in between levels" stuff, but I stopped due to lack of motivation and creativeness since I'd played the game so many times and telling it's story just didn't excite me like telling new ones does.

This is what little footage I made of it:

(NUKEMDAVE did the Duke voice at the beginning)

Here's the revised cutscene code with the added the ending of E1L2 using EVENT_ENDLEVELSCREEN. I also went ahead and added the ingame text using the same fonts as the original endgame screens. I'm sure there's a more efficient way to add blocks of text using the screentext command but I'm not fully familiarized with it yet.

gamevar SCREENALPHA 255 0
gamevar CUTSCENE_STEP 0 0
gamevar CUTSCENE_SCREEN 0 0
gamevar y 0 0

definequote 187       - RESERVED 1 -
definequote 188       - RESERVED 2 -
definequote 189       - RESERVED 3 -
definequote 190       - RESERVED 4 -

state cutscene_cleanup
	ifvarn SCREENALPHA 255
		setvar SCREENALPHA 255
	ifvarn CUTSCENE_STEP 0
		setvar CUTSCENE_STEP 0
ends

onevent EVENT_PRELEVEL
	state cutscene_cleanup
	ifvare VOLUME 0
	{
		ifvare LEVEL 0 // HOLLYWOOD HOLOCAUST
		{
			stopallsounds
			stopallmusic
			// ADD SOME MUSIC TRACK IF NEEDED
			// starttrackslot 7 1 
			startscreen    // FIRST SCREEN
			screensound RPG_EXPLODE // SOUND EFFECT AT THE START OF THE SECOND SCREEN
			startscreen    // SECOND SCREEN
		}
	}
endevent

appendevent EVENT_ENDLEVELSCREEN
	state cutscene_cleanup
	ifvare VOLUME 0
	ifvare LEVEL 2 // RED LIGHT DISTRICT
	{
		stopallsounds
		startscreen
	}
endevent

onevent EVENT_SCREEN
	ifvare RETURN 0
	{
		ifvarg SCREENALPHA 0    // QUICK FADEOUT
		{
			screenpal 0 0 0 SCREENALPHA
			subvar SCREENALPHA 5
		}
	}
	else ifvare RETURN 1
		setvar SCREENALPHA 255

ifvare VOLUME 0
	{
		ifvare LEVEL 0
       	 	{
			setvar y 3
			ifvare CUTSCENE_STEP 0    // FIRST SCREEN
			{
				setvar CUTSCENE_SCREEN <insert cutscene tilenum here>
				redefinequote 187 Duke Nukem arrives back to Earth after fighting off the Rigelatins.
				redefinequote 188 Unfortunately he has no time for R and R as an army of genetically
				redefinequote 189 modified aliens have begun their invasion on Earth. Duke hurries
				redefinequote 190 to Los Angeles to fend off the invaders.
				ifvare RETURN 1     // IF THE PLAYER USES ANY KEY TO SKIP THE SCENE
					setvar CUTSCENE_STEP 1     // CHANGE TO THE NEXT SCREEN
			}
			else ifvare CUTSCENE_STEP 1   // SECOND SCREEN
			{
				redefinequote 187 However his ship is shot down on sight. Duke quickly ejects out of
				redefinequote 188 his ship and lands on the roof of a building ready for action.
				redefinequote 189 "Damn! Those alien bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my ride!"
				redefinequote 190
			}
		}
		ifvare LEVEL 2
		{
			setvar y 163
			redefinequote 187 "Gotcha now, Duke bastard! We're gonna fry your ass!"
			redefinequote 188 Duke falls right into a trap! He is sorrounded by the LARD and
			redefinequote 189 arrested. He is immediately found guilty and sentenced to death by
			redefinequote 190 electric chair!
		}
	}
	rotatesprite 160 100 65536 0 CUTSCENE_SCREEN 0 0 2 0 0 xdim ydim
	screentext HELPFONT 70 y 65536 0 0 187 0 0 272 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 xdim ydim
	addvar y 10
	screentext HELPFONT 70 y 65536 0 0 188 0 0 272 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 xdim ydim
	addvar y 10
	screentext HELPFONT 70 y 65536 0 0 189 0 0 272 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 xdim ydim
	addvar y 10
	screentext HELPFONT 70 y 65536 0 0 190 0 0 272 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 xdim ydim
endevent

Here's how it looks ingame:
Attached Image: duke0002.png Attached Image: duke0003.png

And here's the HELPFONT ripped from a combination of help, ordering info and endgame screens:
Attached Image: helpfont.gif

This post has been edited by Renegado: 11 February 2018 - 05:42 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, if you're going to do this, I second the notion to please do not use the horrid DNF model. Tea Monster's model is more than adequate and far more authentic.

User is offline   Mark 

Does anyone have a pic of the DNF Duke and TM's Duke side by side? I don't understand what is so horrible about the DNF version used in these cutscene pics.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 February 2018 - 06:24 AM

I don't think you will need that much, but I've found these old cutscenes element that I isolated.

Attached File  Duke Cutscene stuff.zip (991.08K)
Number of downloads: 160

A bunch of frames from original game, GBA and N64. I cutted out the background in most. Perhaps with some photoshop tricks you can even make them look like something different.

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostMark., on 11 February 2018 - 06:23 AM, said:

I don't understand what is so horrible about the DNF version used in these cutscene pics.

+1

I'd say let the man do his job, if people are going the purist way they should request a model like this instead:

:dukecigar:

View PostMerlijn, on 11 February 2018 - 02:31 AM, said:

There's a few jarring transitions within the game. For instance E2L3 to L4 (Duke suddenly ends up inside an alien space station?).
Would be nice for something to fill in the blanks there.

E1 and E3 are fine for the most part. The transition from E1L2 to L3 is perfectly explained in-game, so I'm not sure if a cut scene would really add much value to it.

Any ideas for text for E2L3/4?

• The Sarien Encounter

The clothes are inaccurate to the in-game sprites. The wife beater has a black trim which it's not supposed to have, Duke has gelled spiked hair instead of a crew cut, wrong sunglasses, grey pants instead of blue jeans, silver belt buckle instead of gold, and his facial features are younger than they should be. They both have gloves but what are ya gonna do. I'm just thinking about authenticity. If you're going to use a model, why not use one that's closer?

I really hate the DNF model.

Posted ImagePosted Image

View PostMike Norvak, on 11 February 2018 - 07:27 AM, said:

...if people are going the purist way they should request a model like this instead:

:dukecigar:

I almost asked for this lol. But I'm not asking for a whole new model, just switch it out with a pre-existing one. I don't want to dump all that extra work on him. :)

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options