Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 Scripting - Duke4.net Forums

• 118 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 Scripting  "CON coding help"

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

This setup will break down the more a mod changes the vanilla code, particularly the APLAYER code. A mod that totally does away with things like PFROZEN and PSHRINKING will throw CON errors. Or a mod that uses a different define name for the timer than THAWTIME won't ever display properly.

I am pretty sure that stepping into a blue light sector wouldn't trigger "if sprite[].pal" type checks, since technically the actor's tsprite is having its palette changed and not the actual sprite itself. (Without going super in-depth, the tsprite is a virtual sprite for every sprite/actor in a map and handles the visual component independent of the actual actor, for example enemies turning PAL 6 with nightvision don't actually change palettes, but their tsprite does.) Anyway, it should be easy to test that real quick.

Looking at the vanilla behavior for freezer-ing, aside from starting action PFROZEN, the only other characteristic you could check against would be the palette.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

That's what I thought. I was looking through the entire wiki and couldn't find another method. At first I hoped I could use sprite[].htg_t 4 PFROZEN, but I'd need a variable instead of an action here.

Before I am looking for a map with fitting conditions it'd probably be faster to create a super simple map with a mirror and pal 1 lighting. In any case, it'd be a very specific case, especially since it's rather unlikely to get frozen in singleplayer (only with mods, basically) and even then, you'd have to die while frozen in blue light.

User is online   ck3D 

You wouldn't even need a mirror in your test map, the freezer projectiles bounce off all wall types. (edit - didn't notice the post was over a week old before I replied, so you've probably remembered or found out since)

This post has been edited by ck3D: 15 May 2024 - 07:39 AM

Is it ok to use the same var or even RETURN as a throwaway for unwanted return vars?

For example hitscan has 6 return vars
<hit sector return var> <hit wall return var> <hit sprite return var> <hit x return var> <hit y return var> <hit z return var>
when only wanting a sprite id
TEMP1 TEMP1 TEMP2 TEMP1 TEMP1 TEMP1

It did not cause any apparent crashes, lag, errors, or otherwise

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Yes.

Well, probably not RETURN as that's a pre-defined gamevar and may have strange or unintended results overriding its value. But using a user gamevar like TEMP1 like this is just fine. Strictly speaking, the value will result in the value of "hit z return var" as it's assigned last.

Why is "ife" for the current picnum breaking loops?

//loop ends after 1 sprite
//
        whilen SECTORVAR NUMSECTORS
        {
          headspritesect PICNUMVAR SECTORVAR
          set PICNUMCOPY PICNUMVAR
          whilen PICNUMVAR -1
          {
            ife PICNUMVAR RESPAWN //<
              ife sprite[].hitag sprite[PICNUMVAR].lotag
                setav[PICNUMVAR].TEMP1 1
            nextspritesect PICNUMVAR PICNUMVAR
            ife PICNUMVAR PICNUMCOPY
              set PICNUMVAR -1
          }
          add SECTORVAR 1
        }
//

//loop ends after all sprites
//
        {
          set PICNUMCOPY PICNUMVAR
          whilen PICNUMVAR -1
          {
	    switch sprite[PICNUMVAR].picnum //<
	     case RESPAWN  //<
                setav[PICNUMVAR].TEMP1 1
	      break
	    endswitch
            ife PICNUMVAR PICNUMCOPY
              set PICNUMVAR -1
          }
          add SECTORVAR 1
        }
//

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postlllllllllllllll, on 08 June 2024 - 05:53 AM, said:

Why is "ife" for the current picnum breaking loops?

//loop ends after 1 sprite
//
        {
          set PICNUMCOPY PICNUMVAR
          whilen PICNUMVAR -1
          {
            ife PICNUMVAR RESPAWN //<
                setav[PICNUMVAR].TEMP1 1
            ife PICNUMVAR PICNUMCOPY
              set PICNUMVAR -1
          }
          add SECTORVAR 1
        }
//

//loop ends after all sprites
//
        {
          set PICNUMCOPY PICNUMVAR
          whilen PICNUMVAR -1
          {
	    switch sprite[PICNUMVAR].picnum //<
	     case RESPAWN  //<
                setav[PICNUMVAR].TEMP1 1
	      break
	    endswitch
            ife PICNUMVAR PICNUMCOPY
              set PICNUMVAR -1
          }
          add SECTORVAR 1
        }
//

PICNUMVAR is a sprite number and is NOT the picnum of the sprite. In the second loop, you do a switch statement on the picnum, but in the first loop you just compare the sprite number directly with RESPAWN, so if the sprite number happens to be 9 that will be true. That doesn't necessarily explain why the loop ends early, but it seems like it invalidates the first version regardless. Beyond that mistake, I have couple of criticisms. First, your variable names are obscuring what is going on rather than helping you. I think when you gave it the name PICNUMVAR you convinced yourself that it holds a picnum --- but of course you can put any value at all in it and in this case it's not a picnum. It's better to refer directly to the struct members whenever possible rather than putting values in variables. Secondly, you could have figured out what is going on by logging values, rather than looking at the problem like it was test question. You are eventually going to come across bugs that you won't be able to figure out unless you can log what is going on at specific points in the code.

Thank you, I did something retarded again

User is offline   VGames 

Is the animation code for the fist that hits the nuke button at the end of a map available anywhere? I'm referring to the one that plays when EVENT DISPLAYFIST is triggered. I noticed it was not in the samples file that has all of the weapon and view animations like the cracking knuckles animation.

Share this topic:

• 118 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options