Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 Scripting - Duke4.net Forums

• 118 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 Scripting  "CON coding help"

User is online   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

This setup will break down the more a mod changes the vanilla code, particularly the APLAYER code. A mod that totally does away with things like PFROZEN and PSHRINKING will throw CON errors. Or a mod that uses a different define name for the timer than THAWTIME won't ever display properly.

I am pretty sure that stepping into a blue light sector wouldn't trigger "if sprite[].pal" type checks, since technically the actor's tsprite is having its palette changed and not the actual sprite itself. (Without going super in-depth, the tsprite is a virtual sprite for every sprite/actor in a map and handles the visual component independent of the actual actor, for example enemies turning PAL 6 with nightvision don't actually change palettes, but their tsprite does.) Anyway, it should be easy to test that real quick.

Looking at the vanilla behavior for freezer-ing, aside from starting action PFROZEN, the only other characteristic you could check against would be the palette.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

That's what I thought. I was looking through the entire wiki and couldn't find another method. At first I hoped I could use sprite[].htg_t 4 PFROZEN, but I'd need a variable instead of an action here.

Before I am looking for a map with fitting conditions it'd probably be faster to create a super simple map with a mirror and pal 1 lighting. In any case, it'd be a very specific case, especially since it's rather unlikely to get frozen in singleplayer (only with mods, basically) and even then, you'd have to die while frozen in blue light.

User is online   ck3D 

You wouldn't even need a mirror in your test map, the freezer projectiles bounce off all wall types. (edit - didn't notice the post was over a week old before I replied, so you've probably remembered or found out since)

This post has been edited by ck3D: 15 May 2024 - 07:39 AM

Is it ok to use the same var or even RETURN as a throwaway for unwanted return vars?

For example hitscan has 6 return vars
<hit sector return var> <hit wall return var> <hit sprite return var> <hit x return var> <hit y return var> <hit z return var>
when only wanting a sprite id
TEMP1 TEMP1 TEMP2 TEMP1 TEMP1 TEMP1

It did not cause any apparent crashes, lag, errors, or otherwise

User is online   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Yes.

Well, probably not RETURN as that's a pre-defined gamevar and may have strange or unintended results overriding its value. But using a user gamevar like TEMP1 like this is just fine. Strictly speaking, the value will result in the value of "hit z return var" as it's assigned last.

Share this topic:

• 118 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options