Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 Scripting - Duke4.net Forums

• 119 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 Scripting  "CON coding help"

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Their lotag might be clobbered at that point, so I wouldn't necessarily trust it either. I ran into this exact same issue very recently and I solved it by checking the xrepeat and bailing out.

appendevent EVENT_SPAWN
{
    // Ignore enemies disabled due to skill level
    ife sprite[].xrepeat 0
        break

switch sprite[].picnum
    {
        // Fixup sprite sizes

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostReaper_Man, on 15 April 2024 - 05:52 AM, said:

Their lotag might be clobbered at that point, so I wouldn't necessarily trust it either. I ran into this exact same issue very recently and I solved it by checking the xrepeat and bailing out.

appendevent EVENT_SPAWN
{
    // Ignore enemies disabled due to skill level
    ife sprite[].xrepeat 0
        break

switch sprite[].picnum
    {
        // Fixup sprite sizes

Yes, if the xrepeat is 4 or less, then don't fuck with them. If any mapper actually put a tiny enemy in the map that's on them.

Also, there's no reason why this particular event needs to be used for this purpose at all. EVENT_LOADACTOR could be used instead and then it's a non-issue.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

You mean when using EVENT_LOADACTOR I can use my original code without any check for player skill or xrepeat?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNightFright, on 15 April 2024 - 11:26 AM, said:

You mean when using EVENT_LOADACTOR I can use my original code without any check for player skill or xrepeat?

Yes. The one thing I'm not 100% sure about is whether spriteflags can be applied to individual sprites that early, or whether they get reset after that. But certainly size and cstat can be set there. But I also don't think spriteflags 8192 should be used for this purpose -- my memory is that in recent edukes smooth movement is now applied by default, and in fact I had an issue at one point where I was accidentally xoring it and turning it off because I didn't know about that change.

• The Truth is in here

You are right. Spriteflags 8192 makes no difference in EDuke32 at this point, it seems. Tank moves just as before even without the flag being set manually. What about cactor? Would that work in LOADACTOR as well?

• Duke Plus Developer

Yes, cactor just changes picnum. The main reason to use EVENT_SPAWN would be to catch the sprites that are spawned in later (such as from RESPAWN) and aren't present in the map at the start.

EDIT: I realize that could be misinterpreted. I'm not saying that EVENT_SPAWN only runs when sprites are spawned in during gameplay. Sprites placed in mapster are "spawned" when they are initialized which is before gameplay starts, but it is after certain things happen to them like the hardcoded size zeroing on enemies with lotag > difficulty. My point was that you don't *need* to use EVENT_SPAWN on sprites already present before gameplay starts because you can use LOADACTOR instead.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 15 April 2024 - 12:45 PM

• The Truth is in here

Outstanding. Then I'll just remove the spriteflags line, change the whole event to LOADACTOR and call it a day. Dunno how to check whether clipdist works like that as well, but of all adjustments it's the least important one.

Thanks a lot again, Dan. You've been a great help. Like always!

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNightFright, on 15 April 2024 - 12:45 PM, said:

Outstanding. Then I'll just remove the spriteflags line, change the whole event to LOADACTOR and call it a day. Dunno how to check whether clipdist works like that as well, but of all adjustments it's the least important one.

Thanks a lot again, Dan. You've been a great help. Like always!

clipdist is one of the sprite members and setting it in LOADACTOR surely does set it -- question is does it then get reset to the default number later on when the sprite is initialized for gameplay. My guess is it probably does.

in the newbeast code, you could just grab clipdist into a var and put it in the log during gameplay. If it's 64, then the code worked, if it's 80 then it didn't. Not sure why clipdist is being changed though, the default clipdist isn't a bug. The lower one is more accurate for certain things like rocket hits but the higher one probably has some situations where it is better too.

• The Truth is in here

Ok, another issue. I'm unable to get this rather simple code (also taken from Darkus' con fixes) working. It's just supposed to fix the health bug of the miniboss versions of BOSS2 and BOSS3:

appendevent EVENT_SPAWN
        switch sprite[].picnum
            case BOSS2
            case BOSS3
                ifg sprite[].pal 0
                    strength BOSS1PALSTRENGTH
            break
        endswitch
endevent

When testing this in a custom map, in this case "Chinatown" (1hk.map), it doesn't work. The miniboss still dies if you cough at him (it's a BOSS3 with pal4). Any ideas?

• Once and Future King

Assuming this is using the rest of the default GAME.CON without modifications, BOSS3 is scripted to set its strength to 1 here in this block in "state boss3code":

ifai 0
  {
    ifspritepal 0
      ai AIBOSS3RUNENEMY
    else
    {
      strength 1
      ai AIBOSS3LOBENEMY
    }
  }

All actor code runs after EVENT_SPAWN, and any other on-spawn type events, would have executed. So technically your code does change it to BOSS1PALSTRENGTH, it just gets changed back to 1 later on.

The easiest fix here is just to edit that code block to change "strength 1" to "strength BOSS1PALSTRENGTH". However I'm assuming you are not wanting to edit the default GAME.CON file, so in that case you'll have to come up with another method.

What I would do is have some a per-actor gamevar to track the fixup, and check for it in EVENT_GAME. Something like:

var BOSSFIXUP 0 2

appendevent EVENT_GAME
{
    // Check this first because EVENT_GAME is expensive
    ifn BOSSFIXUP 0
        break

// Make all sprites ignore subsequent checks
    set BOSSFIXUP 1

switch sprite[].picnum
    {
        case BOSS2
        case BOSS3
            ifn sprite[].pal 0

break
    }
    endswitch
}
endevent

This may be the way wrong approach though, I'm not sure if there's some other event that might be better suited. EVENT_GAME isn't great because it runs for every sprite, every frame, so it can easily get out of hand if you aren't careful or use it all over the place haphazardly.

Now that I think about it and look at the Boss scripts, it looks like the "ifai 0" check could safely be overridden. So you would move the behaviors that are checked/set in the actor code into an EVENT_SPAWN block, something like:

appendevent EVENT_SPAWN
{
    ifn sprite[].pal 0
    {
        ife sprite[].picnum BOSS2
        {
            sound BOS2_ATTACK
            ai AIBOSS2SHOOTENEMY
        }

ife sprite[].picnum BOSS3
        {
            ai AIBOSS3LOBENEMY
        }
    }
}
endevent

That maybe would work.

This post has been edited by Reaper_Man: 16 April 2024 - 07:23 AM

• The Truth is in here

OK, it seems that your second approach did the trick. I used this and it works in the custom map:

appendevent EVENT_SPAWN
  switch sprite[].picnum
    case BOSS2
    ifn sprite[].pal 0
    {
      sound BOS2_ATTACK
      ai AIBOSS2SHOOTENEMY
    }
    case BOSS3
      ifn sprite[].pal 0
      {
        ai AIBOSS3LOBENEMY
      }
    break
  endswitch
endevent

• Once and Future King

FWIW the reason I did the pal check first is to process less code in more circumstances. Doing the check inside the switch still has every spawned sprite go through the switch. There's never an instance where this code block should run for a pal 0 sprite, so you can save some CPU checking that condition first.

Also in this instance you aren't getting any benefit from using a switch over a standard if statement, switch blocks are useful when multiple cases share identical code. Not that you can't or shouldn't use it here, or that there's anything wrong with using it here, but that's why I moved from a switch block to an if statement.

• The Truth is in here

Makes sense. I will adjust that. After all, encountering pal 0 versions of these bosses is happening far more often than any other, so this code should be skipped most of the time. Thanks a lot for the insight!

User is offline   VGames 

Using screen_size is there a way to check and see if the last version of the minihud is being used? Checking to see if screen_size equals 4 includes both versions of the minihud and not just the last version that you select before you remove the HUD altogether. I only want to make changes to the second version of the minihud.

This post has been edited by VGames: 16 April 2024 - 05:52 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostVGames, on 16 April 2024 - 05:52 PM, said:

Using screen_size is there a way to check and see if the last version of the minihud is being used? Checking to see if screen_size equals 4 includes both versions of the minihud and not just the last version that you select before you remove the HUD altogether. I only want to make changes to the second version of the minihud.

https://wiki.eduke32.com/wiki/Althud

• The Truth is in here

@VGames
If it's about the EDuke32 mini HUD, it should be something like
ife userdef[].screen_size 4
    ife userdef[].althud 1

User is offline   VGames 

Ah very nice. Thank u for the heads up. I knew I was missing something.

User is offline   VGames 

I have big blast rings that get created when a nuke goes off and I noticed that when they hit a wall they sometimes get all scrunched up and fail to keep their circular shape. They become more oval in shape sometimes. Is there some way to keep this from happening? I feel like there’s a setting I’m not using to make them clip through walls and not get affected by them.

• The Truth is in here

Is there a method to check for how long the player has been shrunk? I'd like to turn that into a (visible) countdown (in seconds), but so far I haven't found a construct in the EDuke32 wiki which would allow one to tap into that.

• Duke Plus Developer

It might be the player's count, assuming the player's move is reset when shrunk. But for easy access during display, I would just make a var for it and have it increment when the player is shrunk, zero otherwise. When the var is nonzero you display it in the hud.

• The Truth is in here

I guess the same goes for frozen state. The thing is I want the counter to start at max duration and have it reach 0 when frozen/shrunk time ends.

Then wouldn't you just take the max count (once you know what it is) and subtract the current count from it to get your number?

I'm sure I remember seeing SHRUNKDONECOUNT or FROZENCOUNT somewhere, but perhaps it was just another mod that wanted to keep track of it for something. Perhaps it was in USER.CON.

• Once and Future King

THAWTIME is a vanilla define used to check the PFROZEN actioncount. SHRUNKDONECOUNT is a vanilla define used to check the APLAYER actor counter. The player being frozen behavior is handled with an action, the player being shrunk behavior is just a counter, although a move speed is used as a sort of "variable".

What all that means is you can access the player's current action, actioncount, named movement, and counter via the htg_t array, and use this to build a sort of timer. The only part of this that is missing is getting the animation speed of an animation, although in this case PFROZEN has no animation speed, so it's equal to the gametic counter.

So to build a frozen time remaining, you'd subtract the current .htg_t 2 from THAWTIME and that's how many gametics are remaining. The shrunk timer should be the same, except you'd use .htg_t 0 to get the current counter. Divide by 30 to get the real seconds to gametic conversion. If you want to get fancy you can mod the .htg_t 2 value by 30 to get milliseconds.

Here's an untested example based on some other code I have, no idea if this will work off the rip but should put you in the right direction.

appendevent EVENT_DISPLAYREST
{
    ifaction PFROZEN
    {
        set UI_ZOOM 24576
        set UI_ORIENTATION 2
        set UI_FLAGS 10

set ACTORTEMP THAWTIME
        sub ACTORTEMP sprite[].htg_t 2  // The player's current actioncount
        set ACTORTEMP2 ACTORTEMP

div ACTORTEMP 30
        mod ACTORTEMP2 30  // Process milliseconds

redefinequote 253 %d
        redefinequote 254 00
        qsprintf 253 253 ACTORTEMP2
        qstrlen ACTORCHECK 253
        set ACTORCHECK2 2
        sub ACTORCHECK2 ACTORCHECK
        qstrncat 253 254 ACTORCHECK2

redefinequote 254 UNTHAWING IN %d.%s
        qsprintf 254 254 ACTORTEMP 253

screentext BIGALPHANUM 160 20 UI_ZOOM 0 0 254 0 1 UI_ORIENTATION 0 BIGALPHA_XSPACE BIGALPHA_YLINE BIGALPHA_XBETWEEN 0 UI_FLAGS 0 0 xdim ydim
    }
}
endevent

• The Truth is in here

Ingenious! Actually I didn't need the display to be more precise than full seconds and it was rather for a HUD display, so the whole lower part about messages wasn't necessary. Anyway, you definitely provided all the hints I had been looking for. Got it working already the way I wanted, so thanks a lot!

• The Truth is in here

Additional question:
I've found that my "shrunk state display" has a slight delay and will only be active once the player has finished shrinking. I'm operating with ifp pshrunk. Would the following be a valid/efficient approach for a more instantaneous effect? (Not that it'd be absolutely necessary, but out of curiosity.)

ifl sprite[].yrepeat 36

Assuming default player dimensions of 42 36. I dunno if there's any mod out there which changes player size, which might be the only possible weakness of such an approach. Guess I could do a geta[].yrepeat and store it in a variable to catch such cases, but I might be overdoing it.

• Once and Future King

The APLAYER actor checks "ifmove PSHRINKING" to initiate the shrunk effect. Looking in the source code real quick, it looks like "ifp pshrunk" only returns true after the APLAYER xrepeat is less than 32. Checking the xrepeat would work, or you can just check "ifmove PSHRINKING" like the APLAYER actor does and that would mimic the vanilla behaviors.

• The Truth is in here

Seems like a solid and quite uncomplicated approach. Thumbs up!

I think xrepeat and yrepeat don't give you the realtime values you see as it shrinks or expands until after the sizing stops

• Once and Future King

I just did some tests and it does appear "sizeto" does immediately make the change. "ifp pshrunk" won't trigger immediately because it checks for the xrepeat, which takes half a second or so to "sizeto" down past, and same for on the way back up. You can test for yourself:

Spoiler

NightFright - Depending on what you want the timer to show exactly, you may want to stick with "ifp pshrunk" or otherwise checking the xrepeat. Specifically because the player can technically still be squished by being in a small space while they are going back to normal size. So if your timer is for when you are safe again after being shrunk, it's not until you are fully back to normal size, or very close to it at least.

This post has been edited by Reaper_Man: 02 May 2024 - 03:57 PM

• The Truth is in here

Well, as long as there are no mods which mess with player size... If there's none which changes that, guess I could use ifl sprite[].xrepeat 42. While testing though, it seems the check pretty much behaves like ifmove PSHRINKING, at least for what I intend to do with it (show a HUD overlay tile for as long as player is shrunk), so it apparently does not come with any benefit. At least not for the purpose I need it, that is.

*UPDATE*
OK, maybe the xrepeat solution is useful after all. What I'm still missing is an abort condition for a state. What it's basically supposed to do is to abort drawing some HUD graphics if the player dies while being frozen. The trick is I cannot just use ifp pdead since technically, the player is dead when frozen (0 HP), but gets "revived" with 1 HP if not hit. My current approach is:

ifp pdead
ifn sprite[].pal 1
break

However, not sure how this would behave if player dies in a sector with blue light (which is also pal 1, unless I'm mistaken). It should be something fool-proof.

Share this topic:

• 119 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options