Duke4.net Forums: [Release] Zero Hour Resources - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Release] Zero Hour Resources

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 26 April 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

It's fun to solve ancient mysteries. Makes you feel like Indiana Jones.

Indy: "Do you know how long I've been looking for that?"
Marcus: "All your life?"
Indy: "All my life."

Thinking about it, a Duke Nukem game set in the Indiana Jones world could be great! Duke goes back in time to 1930 (give or take a few years) and has to stop the Nazis from finding the magical something-or-other, because it has the power to instantly kill millions of people at will, so if Duke fails then the world will be ruled by the Nazis, who will kill off everyone else. Part way through the game, the Nazis will start to attack Duke with alien weapons as the Nazis have found a crashed alien space-craft, and so they've manged to duplicate the alien weapons, and Duke will have to find the space-craft and destroy it before the Nazis fix it and make it fly (as otherwise the Nazis will use the space-craft to destroy ever major non-Nazi controlled city in the world). And maybe the crashed ship has lots of pig/lizard/etc alien clones, who would fight alongside the Nazis against Duke, because the SS officers are mind-controlling them.

And at the game's end, after you finally find the magical thing, and destroy it to stop it falling into the Nazi's hands, you have to fight Hitler, who is equipped with the best weapons and augmentations that were found on the space-craft.

The Indiana Jones style humour could work well in a DN game, I think, especially when mixed with Duke's over-confidence and tactless remarks. He'd be disgusted that 1930's American women wear so many clothes, and that the music/movies/vehicles of the 1930s are (to him) so lame, and he'd be upset and angry that prohibition meant that it was hard to find any alcohol to drink, and so he'd complain (comically) about all these things as he went through the game.

User is offline   jet_nick 

hey guys,
the first map in mapster does not appear in the list, it's the only map I can not see, can you help me?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postjet_nick, on 22 August 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

hey guys,
the first map in mapster does not appear in the list, it's the only map I can not see, can you help me?

use an older version of mapster, from the time the assets were released, or rename the file and take the "1." off the front of the name

This post has been edited by Forge: 22 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

User is offline   jet_nick 

Thanks man

I am still on this mystery and have been for the last two years. I have theories why you don't get 64 kills. I have gotten 64 only once in all my 600+ runs on this level. But it wasn't consistent when I made the exact same steps. Even loaded from a save state because I save state every time I begin the level in case I do get 64 kills. In that run something similar happened to what happened in my video that somebody posted on this thread earlier. Still going at it and will post updates until the mystery has been solved.

Update on the missing enemies in the Up Ship Creek level:

TheSpudWhacker, on the N64 Forever forum, has kept on working away at this mystery, and has managed to achieve the coverted 64/64 kills, but, as he says:

"It has been far too long since I posted on this forum. I have gotten all 64 enemies, however without consistency. I have no idea what triggers these enemies to spawn or how to kill them, but here is my theory on what is happening. But here are a few things to take note of first.

1. All enemies in the game have triggers before they will spawn
2. Certain events must happen for enemies to spawn
3. Sometimes enemies don't spawn in the playable area
4. Enemies teleport on a different cycle then duke does

With those 4 points, I can access some of what is going on. This is going to be a long one but here goes.

So, in the dry town level there is an enemy that opens a painting that you can kill. This enemy does NOT always spawn, play the level 50 times and I guarantee he will be absent at least once even though you did everything right.

On the first posh level, there is a zombie that explodes open a wall. Play this mission 50 times and again I guarantee it won't do it every time even if you take the same steps.

So what is happening on up ship creek? Well, during one of my runs (I always use debug menu when play) a sub blew up near a teleporter and my kills jumped up by two. Then I noticed that there was a snoozing enemy after about 20 minutes of running around the map. Not sure how long it was snoozing but it was snoozing when I moved to that debug screen. I went through the teleporters many many times and out of nowhere the sub spawned in the room where the two cyborgs attack you. I have been in this room many many times and explored each room like 3 times...

So what even happened? Well, this is where I lose my knowledge. The thing is, I don't know, I simply don't. It resulted in 64 kills though, it just doesn't make sense though. I played this mission over 600 times since I last commented on this forum and have only got 64 kills one time. There is flags in place for making sure ALL subs in the same room that one spawned in to be dead. If the ones that originated in that room are all dead, then the sniper alien will spawn around the corner. There is a flag that you have to get the level 3 key for the drone in the first hall to spawn.

Enemies in this game will just appear if the player would have no way of seeing them spawn.

My theory is this; the last two enemies spawn out of the map and will not spawn if duke can see them. The only problem is; the game thinks duke can always see them. That is the best I got. I have loaded this map in mapster32. apparently there is a closer to zero hour sprite fix but I haven't tried it yet.

If that theory isn't correct then this is my ONLY other theory so far; they spawn in the beginning of the next level but the game thinks they belong in this one. If you go to the end of up ship creek and angle your camera you can see the colt 45 ammo in the corner outside the cave in the last area (the room where if you step off the teleporter, you win the level) That ammo is spawned from the next level, there is also an enemy spawned there. So somehow the game thinks that enemy shouldn't be there or the devs preloaded that room and forgot to remove the enemy from that spot.

The problem is, the trigger to make him spawn in the move off the teleporter, but if you do... you win, so my conclusion there is that the enemy spawns where he can't be killed in time to stop you from winning. Unless somebody knows how to stop the game from letting you finish the level this theory can't be proven false or true. If it is true though, then that is why the sub kills an extra enemy from time to time. It is half loaded into that area and kills it. Again, no proof but I still haven't left this mystery to rest.
"

So, can anyone help or suggest anything to try or possibly help to elucidate the mystery, please? It's a fascinating problem, and since it involves an N64 exclusive game (and a very good one at that!), a solution would be all the more welcome.

And *lots* of credit to TheSpudWhacker for his immense patience and determination to solve the problem. Replaying the level over six hundred times, and each time trying to make note of any changes and relevant happenings? That is true dedication, by any standards.

Source: https://www.tapatalk...60.html#p178323

View PostTheSpudWhacker, on 09 September 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

I am still on this mystery and have been for the last two years. I have theories why you don't get 64 kills. I have gotten 64 only once in all my 600+ runs on this level. But it wasn't consistent when I made the exact same steps. Even loaded from a save state because I save state every time I begin the level in case I do get 64 kills. In that run something similar happened to what happened in my video that somebody posted on this thread earlier. Still going at it and will post updates until the mystery has been solved.

Ah, sorry about this! I posted your N64 Forever post here, since it (and Shootersforever.com) is where I posted about the missing enemies originally, and I didn't see your post here. If you like, I'll edit or delete the post.

And yes, I'm an idiot!

This post has been edited by Kerr Avon: 10 September 2018 - 08:17 AM

Continuing the discussion of the missing enemies in the '<b>Up Ship Creek</b>' level of the (fantastic) Duke Nukem: Zero Hour game:

In the original thread about this mystery, at:

https://www.tapatalk...-t2528-s75.html

a user called 'xFRANKx_ITA' has demonstrated a very intriguing and plausible theory about what's going on. He says:

https://youtu.be/GX4IoWajQBc 8:03

"In this videos you can see him [the player] doing the glitch that im going to explain.

to explain it in the simplest way possible, to get the extra kill you have to shoot the drone at the same time as it impacts on you.
as you can see in the video, following the timestamps, spudwhacker shoots the drone while colliding and gets an extra kill.
and apparently this glitch works with the short shotgun, the uzis and the peacemakers.

My theory is that the drone dies twice.
once when it is hit by bullets, and the second time when it crashes and dies on duke.
"

This is very interesting, and when I get home from work (I'm working away now) I'll definitely be trying this. xFRANKx_ITA might well have finally solved this mystery, and even if not, then it's maybe a very good signpost to the real solution. If anyone has any thoughts or comments, or wants to investigate this themselves (on a real N64, or an emulator) then please post your thoughts and results here. And thanks to xFRANKx_ITA for joining the investigation, and for sharing his results and ideas.

This post has been edited by Kerr Avon: 03 December 2018 - 02:21 PM

I tried this over Christmas, and it's brilliant being able to *finally* get 64/64, after all these years. Very well done, xFRANKx_ITA, you've managed to solve one of the N64's biggest mysteries :)

Thanks for finally laying this mystery to rest (and proving that the few people who claimed to have gotten 64/64 in the past weren't lying!).

And happy new year to everyone!

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

While you can get 64/64 with the drone bug, that probably can be done in any level to increase the kill counter without killing all enemies. The drone bug is also easy to explain, internally the code must be incrementing the kill counter twice for the same enemy if the drone is killed by two different means at the same time.

These theories sound a bit too complex for me, I presume the real cause must be much simpler. It also happens in the original Duke 3D, for example a faulty Recon respawn makes it impossible to achieve 100% kills in Red Light District.

This post has been edited by Fox: 01 January 2019 - 08:23 AM

User is offline   geomancien 

Someone is compiling Duke Nukem Zero Hour, I thought that might help

https://github.com/G...keNukemZeroHour

Attached File(s)

View Postgeomancien, on 11 January 2023 - 04:21 AM, said:

Someone is compiling Duke Nukem Zero Hour, I thought that might helphttps://github.com/Gillou68310/DukeNukemZeroHour

That's really promising! Thanks for letting us know.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Now that is worth getting excited about.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options