Duke4.net Forums: [Release] Zero Hour Resources - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Release] Zero Hour Resources

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostJimmy, on 19 August 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

Ah, final confirmation that Zero Hour was a Build game.

Don't forget that later in the game you "replay" the intro from the perspective of medieval Duke.

Honestly Zero Hour looks damn good for a fifth generation console game. It's quite impressive what could be done with the (souped-up) Build engine. Maybe it wasn't so outdated after all.

User is offline   stumppy84 

I hope someone takes these assets and makes a cool zerohour mod! I'm not a huge fan of the third person view. But a mod that uses all the assets especially the enemy models would be awesome!

User is offline   Sem 

View PostJimmy, on 19 August 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

Don't forget that later in the game you "replay" the intro from the perspective of medieval Duke.

Hmmmm touche. You are right. I thought that they were the same file but with some sort of reverb. I forgot about that second part.

What are the future implications? New Zero Hour based levels? The vanilla and custom maps will work under Zero Hour mechanics like the DN64 TC does? Or it is just a DN3D reinterpretation of Zero Hour levels without all the new enemies and weapons?

View Poststumppy84, on 20 August 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

I hope someone takes these assets and makes a cool zerohour mod! I'm not a huge fan of the third person view. But a mod that uses all the assets especially the enemy models would be awesome!

Zero Hour has a cheat/unlockable first person mode. And with an emulator you can play it with modern keyboard/mouse controls.

View Postnecroslut, on 20 August 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

Zero Hour has a cheat/unlockable first person mode. And with an emulator you can play it with modern keyboard/mouse controls.

As well as in HD resolutions, widescreen and stereoscopy. But only a Zero Hour mod would be playable with higher resolution textures and more detailed models.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostAltered Reality, on 20 August 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

As well as in HD resolutions, widescreen and stereoscopy. But only a Zero Hour mod would be playable with higher resolution textures and more detailed models.

Half untrue. There are certainly N64 emulators out there that can incorporate HD texture packs. Project64 is one IIRC.

View PostAltered Reality, on 20 August 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

Yeah... I guess the framerate can't have been too smooth on the original hardware also :)

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 August 2017 - 09:22 PM, said:

Half untrue. There are certainly N64 emulators out there that can incorporate HD texture packs. Project64 is one IIRC.

Well... level geometry is pretty simple, it being a third person game, so higher resolution textures would in many cases just make it look worse.
This release got me replaying Zero Hour, with the first person mode. The mine cart level is damn awesome - straight out of the DNF '98 trailer. I had completely forgotten about that part.

User is offline   Sanek 

One guy at youtube already made a "gameplay" video of it.

View PostSanek, on 21 August 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

One guy at youtube already made a "gameplay" video of it.

well that was fast. hahaha

Omg love to play this now but I know it takes alot of work to do to get it done, So I wait just hope I don't go insane intil then.

This post has been edited by Duke Legacy: 21 August 2017 - 01:22 AM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I did start working on BASE.map the other night. Got some of the doors functioning and a few other things, but lost the progress I made somehow. I loaded the map earlier and all the changes I made were lost, except putting the starting point where it's supposed to be. A sprite must've been used as the starting point originally. My intention was not to make the map 1:1 accurate to the original. I was just going to use assets from Duke3D to fix it up and make it playable for fun. I might give it another shot later.

I play it if you want

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 21 August 2017 - 02:04 AM, said:

I did start working on BASE.map the other night. Got some of the doors functioning and a few other things, but lost the progress I made somehow. I loaded the map earlier and all the changes I made were lost, except putting the starting point where it's supposed to be. A sprite must've been used as the starting point originally. My intention was not to make the map 1:1 accurate to the original. I was just going to use assets from Duke3D to fix it up and make it playable for fun. I might give it another shot later.

The bits for the starting position are probably just shifted or something.

This post has been edited by Fox: 21 August 2017 - 02:17 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 August 2017 - 09:22 PM, said:

But there is no plugin that supports both widescreen resolutions and higher resolution textures. With a Zero Hour mod you wouldn't need to choose. Additionally, only EDuke32 supports bump mapping, specular mapping and parallax mapping.

View Postnecroslut, on 20 August 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

Well... level geometry is pretty simple, it being a third person game, so higher resolution textures would in many cases just make it look worse.

If you go for higher resolution textures ONLY, I agree. The other effects EDuke32 allows, however, would make it look a lot better.

View PostAltered Reality, on 21 August 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

But there is no plugin that supports both widescreen resolutions and higher resolution textures. With a Zero Hour mod you wouldn't need to choose. Additionally, only EDuke32 supports bump mapping, specular mapping and parallax mapping.

If you go for higher resolution textures ONLY, I agree. The other effects EDuke32 allows, however, would make it look a lot better.

Well, it's sort of in the same situation as the HRP... Even if you replace sprites and models with higher resolution models, you'd still need to basically remake the levels in order for it not to look like shit. Even more so with Zero Hour as it has simpler geometry.

View Postnecroslut, on 21 August 2017 - 05:18 AM, said:

Even if you replace sprites and models with higher resolution models, you'd still need to basically remake the levels in order for it not to look like shit.

Not true. This does not look like shit. The level geometry hasn't been touched, and all the work (bump maps, parallax maps, specular maps) has been made on the textures. Dynamic lights have also been added, but those would be a given for DN:ZH, since it already has them.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The caves look weird. Not 'shit', but strange with the high-res parallax textures and the simple geometry. The other shots look great.

View PostAltered Reality, on 21 August 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

Not true. This does not look like shit. The level geometry hasn't been touched, and all the work (bump maps, parallax maps, specular maps) has been made on the textures. Dynamic lights have also been added, but those would be a given for DN:ZH, since it already has them.

The cave shot looks awful. The other two look okay, but that's two particular spots in the game where the architecture works. In a lot of places in the levels you're not that lucky.

• Polymancer

All the models are really painfully low poly. The problem being that there are over a thousand of them, and if you are remaking them, then that's a hell of a lot of manpower right there that dosen't exist in the community.

I was considering what you'd do to recreate one of the console games in EDuke and very quickly came to the conclusion that once you started improving things, stopping would be very difficult. By the time you'd improved the models, tweaked the script and renovated the levels, you'd wind up with a completely different game. You'd be much better off making your own new game loosely inspired by the events in Time to Kill or Zero Hour.

Sort of like what we did with our Hollywood Holocaust mod.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

LOL. I like how you just made that post to pimp your mod.

• Polymancer

Shhh! ;-)

View PostTea Monster, on 21 August 2017 - 10:56 PM, said:

I was considering what you'd do to recreate one of the console games in EDuke and very quickly came to the conclusion that once you started improving things, stopping would be very difficult. By the time you'd improved the models, tweaked the script and renovated the levels, you'd wind up with a completely different game.

That's the wrong way to proceed. The correct way is to do one thing at a time and make regular releases. Don't focus on remaking the whole game, focus on making one map work, with the default textures, models and sounds. Then release it. Then focus on making the next map work, without graphical improvements, and release it. In the end, you make a final release that includes all maps. Then you start improving the textures (except for those that go on the models), and release each of them as soon as you made it. Then you start improving the models, and as soon as you made a new model with new textures, you release it. And finally you release a package containing everything.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

And that's how you end up with something inconsistently styled like the HRP.

Hey, those things you made in the beginning look like they were made 10 years ago!

View PostCommando Nukem, on 25 August 2017 - 11:14 AM, said:

And that's how you end up with something inconsistently styled like the HRP.

Instead, insisting on making everything perfect before you release anything is how you end up with something like DNF.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Obviously there's a healthy attainable productive balance between the two extremes.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 25 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

User is offline   Green 

This is a update to the Duke Nukem Zero Hour assets and is provided as is without support.

- Model corruption corrected

[Download "Corrected Models"]

• Polymancer

001198 looks OK. I've not tested all of them. Thank you Green!
Posted Image

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

http://dukeworld.duk...ed%20Models.zip

User is offline   Green 

- Updated "Corrected Models" link to DukeWorld mirror
- Added "Corrected Models" update to OP

Thanks TerminX.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options