Duke4.net Forums: What do you think about BloodGDX ? - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you think about BloodGDX ?

User is offline   Dzierzan 

M210 told me he has got also a skilled coder who's working on better renderer. And a good point, if M210 ever has to stop the work, it would be the best to hand it over someone to continue it. Something is telling me that BloodGDX is and will be the only playable port which has the most true Blood gameplay.

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 27 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Posticecoldduke, on 25 June 2017 - 07:30 AM, said:

You can't get rid of Java in his port...his port is coded in Java :P.

I already got rid of the Java in his port. Now it's gone from my hard drive Posted Image

View PostTerminX, on 25 June 2017 - 02:59 PM, said:

I thought it was 1 mil... still more than any of us have!

If it was as little as $1 million, wouldn't Devolver have bought it? I recall them saying it was way more expensive than they anticipated.

View PostMicky C, on 28 June 2017 - 04:05 AM, said:

If it was as little as $1 million, wouldn't Devolver have bought it? I recall them saying it was way more expensive than they anticipated.

Maybe that was too much for them? One million is 10 employees for a year or 5 employees for 2 years. Its possible they thought they wouldnt move enough units to justify the bullshit asking price.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostTekedon, on 26 June 2017 - 12:25 AM, said:

And even if the small Blood community would be able to come up with the cash, they could still refuse to sell, since they are very protective of their IP's. I seem to recall that the sum was said mostly as a joke because of them not really wanting to sell anyway. I don't understand this either since they aren't planning on doing anything with Blood.

If you throw enough money at Hollywood, they'll sell. After all, WB is still a corporation and a corporation's existence is to make money hand over fist.

I don't understand the pessimism. WB has obviously made it clear they won't sell the IP unless an exorbitant amount of money is paid to them. At this point, it's been 20 years. Blood fans should find a way to raise the money and get it over with.

This post has been edited by Master O: 28 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Blood fans will not raise over a million dollars :P

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Sometimes you price things high because you don't actually want to sell it.

View PostJimmy, on 28 June 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Sometimes you price things high because you don't actually want to sell it.

I think something happened 20 years ago that cause some hard feelings around the blood IP. I think this alone is driving up the IP; I can't imagine what benefit Blood has to a investment portfolio at this point. I think its more of "I have it and you don't. if you want it its going to cost you a fuck ton of money" sort of a thing.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 28 June 2017 - 05:00 PM

User is offline   Devon 

I think BloodGDX is freaking amazing!

Dont really have any issues at all with it as of 768/769 release, before that i had some kind of performance problem i could not pinpoint.. the game would stutter alot. But now it is buttery smooth 99% of the time.

I already Donated and will do so again soon.

what is this i see about another coder and and improved renderer?

User is offline   Master O 

View PostLunick, on 28 June 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

Blood fans will not raise over a million dollars :P

Ultimately, you won't know that unless you try.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So when is this going to be considered finished enough that it fully emulates the original game without any bugs that a casual player would notice?

View PostMaster O, on 02 July 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

Ultimately, you won't know that unless you try.

Go ahead and start a kickstarter then Master Optimistic.

User is offline   Manhs 

Maybe if it's Jace Hall or an official "people" who try it with a real project with it, but it's no need to talk, i don't think we will get anything, monolith or jace hall didnt say anything in may 30 when it was the blood anniversary :/
Not like if they seem to care I mean :P

This post has been edited by Manhs: 02 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

User is offline   m210® 

View PostDevon, on 29 June 2017 - 01:30 AM, said:

what is this i see about another coder and and improved renderer?

Thanks for all :P

Another coder working on refactoring code of polymost, nothing interesting yet.

User is offline   Phantasm 

View PostManhs, on 02 July 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

Maybe if it's Jace Hall or an official "people" who try it with a real project with it, but it's no need to talk, i don't think we will get anything, monolith or jace hall didnt say anything in may 30 when it was the blood anniversary :/
Not like if they seem to care I mean :P

Jace did tease something on twitter a year ago, but only one can speculate as it could mean nothing... https://twitter.com/...611945292222464

This post has been edited by Phantasm: 03 July 2017 - 05:01 AM

User is offline   axl 

View PostPhantasm, on 03 July 2017 - 04:59 AM, said:

Jace did tease something on twitter a year ago, but only one can speculate as it could mean nothing... https://twitter.com/...611945292222464

Not a bad thing on Jace, but every now and then he teases with some Blood related stuff... and eventually nothing comes out of it. I think he wants to do something but realizes his hands are tied.

View PostM210, on 03 July 2017 - 02:33 AM, said:

Another coder working on refactoring code of polymost, nothing interesting yet.

Why? Your better off doing what I did and write something from scratch. Polymost was a great proof of concept from Ken, but as a renderer that can scale to higher end graphics, its not great. What I did with PolymerNG was use Polymost as a occlusion detection system. I used Polymost to basically figure out what's visible and what's not, and give that info to PolymerNG. Past that, there isn't much more that can be done with it.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 03 July 2017 - 06:21 AM

User is offline   m210® 

As I said We will make own GL2.0 renderer, but some things can be using from polymost...works with texturecache for example. I dont know why he started refactoring, but its not be useful. And polumost is a good renderer for old PC

User is offline   J432 

View PostM210, on 03 July 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

As I said We will make own GL2.0 renderer, but some things can be using from polymost...works with texturecache for example. I dont know why he started refactoring, but its not be useful. And polumost is a good renderer for old PC

Yes, polymost has low hardware demands so it still can be helpful in some cases. Will he try to fix ROR glitch too?

This post has been edited by J432: 03 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

User is offline   m210® 

Will he try to fix ROR glitch too?

No yet, just refactoring

View PostM210, on 03 July 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

No its not. There are huge gaps between draw submissions. I found in some places, during a frame, where 40% of the GPU is being starved for work, while Polymost figures out what to draw next. That is not good on any PC, especially lower end PC's.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 03 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

View PostJ432, on 03 July 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

Yes, polymost has low hardware demands so it still can be helpful in some cases. Will he try to fix ROR glitch too?

M210 should be focused on fixing ror, as it's critical to gameplay.

User is offline   Jim 

View Posticecoldduke, on 03 July 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

M210 should be focused on fixing ror, as it's critical to gameplay.

Hey icecodeduke, you said something about being able to work on PolymerNG again? is it back in development? I ask because I am interested in a renderer that supports both ROR and texture filtering

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostJim, on 03 July 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

I ask because I am interested in a renderer that supports both ROR and texture filtering

Enter this in the console: r_pr_artmapping 0

View PostJim, on 03 July 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

Hey icecodeduke, you said something about being able to work on PolymerNG again? is it back in development? I ask because I am interested in a renderer that supports both ROR and texture filtering

Yes.

User is offline   Jim 

View PostHendricks266, on 03 July 2017 - 04:16 PM, said:

Enter this in the console: r_pr_artmapping 0

Thanks, but the mod I want to play is the AMC TC, which doesn't run well with polymer, thats why I am waiting for PolymerNG

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Posticecoldduke, on 20 June 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

Couldn't agree more with this. I also strongly disagree with pretty much every technical decision M210 has made thus far. He choose not to use eduke32. He choose to use Java(seriously why?). He hides his code and says hes going to create some bullshit sdk for people to work with. I'm less annoyed with him not releasing code(since there is a good chance hes using the leaked code and may want to avoid legal issues that take this project to a new level on legal issues). As you might have noticed I don't like his project :thumbsup:. That being said no one should disregard the legal issues that come from a project such as this.

It's pointless to worry about legal issues, WB Games does not give a crap about stuff like this. You can download mods for Arkham Asylum and Arkham Origins that unlocks the PS3 exclusive DLCs AND the DLC that you could actually buy on Steam... they know about it, they don't care about it because only an insignificant portion of the player base will use such a thing. On the other hand Atari is a shadow of its former self and BloodGDX will help sell more copies of the game so it would be pointless to shoot down a project like this.

If Jace Hall actually managed to make a deal with WB on re-releasing the game that could change things but so far we have nothing pointing in that direction and actually the game can be in the same kind of legal limbo that affects No One Lives Forever too (someone might be able to buy or license the rights from WB in order to make a new game but the original certainly belongs to Atari too and that could very well stop any remastering attempt). For the time being Blood can be considered abandonware (a category that doesn't exist in the legal sense but sure as hell is a thing from a practical perspective) just like NOLF in this sense. At least Atari can sell it.

That being said M210 should keep a low profile: don't go open source, don't make a standalone version out of it, avoid the use of copyrighted material and if you're using the leaked code don't ever admit it, they can't prove it anyway without the source.

Personally I'm just happy this exists: BloodCM was a tremendous effort but it seems like EDuke32 just can't do Blood properly so it never really felt like the original game. BloodGDX? This IS the original game even if it is based on an outdated 1.0 version and I love the high fps, the widescreen support and the new options and features. Keep it up!

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 19 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

View PostZaxx, on 19 July 2017 - 05:36 PM, said:

It's pointless to worry about legal issues...

I thought the same thing at one point in my life and it bit me in the ass.

they can't prove it anyway without the source.

You are very wrong.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 19 July 2017 - 06:17 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

avoid the use of copyrighted material

Any reverse-engineered code is copyrighted. So are any widescreen versions of tiles, etc.

if you're using the leaked code don't ever admit it,

He already did.

they can't prove it anyway without the source.

TX and I already confirmed for ourselves that M210 is using our engine and the alpha source by checking the symbol names in versions before they were obfuscated.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHendricks266, on 19 July 2017 - 06:55 PM, said:

Any reverse-engineered code is copyrighted. So are any widescreen versions of tiles, etc.

Sure but reverse-engineering is generally legal and I doubt that Blood has an EULA that specifically or indirectly states that you can't reverse engineer the code. As for widescreen tiles and the like: I think that as long as you're modifying original assets that are included with the original game (and of course you need the original game to run BloodGDX) it's no problem.

TX and I already confirmed for ourselves that M210 is using our engine and the alpha source by checking the symbol names in versions before they were obfuscated.

That's what I call camaraderie. :thumbsup: Anyway joking aside I don't think it matters as now it's obfuscated and it would need a certain amount of caring from Atari to get to the bottom of it. An amount they clearly don't have.

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostZaxx, on 20 July 2017 - 03:15 AM, said:

I doubt that Blood has an EULA that specifically or indirectly states that you can't reverse engineer the code.

It says exactly this.

You may not decompile, modify
reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise reproduce the Software except
as expressly allowed by us.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postfgsfds, on 20 July 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:

It says exactly this.

That's from the GOG version, BloodGDX is not based on that one. M210 basically needs two things:

- an original 1.0 copy (we don't know if he has one)
- the EULA that came with the original 1.0 version to not say a thing about reverse engineering (I've not seen that one so I don't know what it says)

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 20 July 2017 - 04:26 AM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options