Duke4.net Forums: What do you think about BloodGDX ? - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you think about BloodGDX ?

User is offline   J432 

View Posticecoldduke, on 22 June 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

Just because I have an inability to commit and follow through on side projects, does not make any of my points invalid. M210's work is light years ahead of that mess I tried to do during my high school years. That aside, Its frankly annoying that you guys are white knighting M210. This is what technical discussions look like guys. M210 has unquestionably made some terrible technical choices. Furthermore he submitted a "fix" for consideration without taking into account the other build games. It was correct to call him out on that.

I stand up for M210 because this is not just a side project for him. The result may not be perfect but it is still far better than anything else that is available. I'm not against constructive criticism and if there were other playable ports I would gladly try whether they are superior to BloodGDX. Sadly there are none.

This post has been edited by J432: 22 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

Just curious, does this port fix the ol' save bug? So if you play on Pink On The Inside for example save and reload, you'll get the normal amount of damage, not upping the damage like happens in Blood originally?

https://www.gog.com/...ding_save_files

[edit]: this was answered on previous page, cool to see that was fixed!

This looks great.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatsee: 22 June 2017 - 04:58 PM

User is offline   J432 

View PostMicky C, on 22 June 2017 - 03:56 PM, said:

What's the deal with this project? Is there some kind of release thread with a description and download?

M210 page:
http://m210.duke4.net

User is online   Mark 

View PostWookiestick, on 22 June 2017 - 03:52 PM, said:

I think Bloodgdx is great. I used to play Blood like a maniac when I was in high school, and I remember using PCanywhere software to connect to my buddy through good old fashioned dialup modems and simulate a local area network to play it.
Over the years I've seen other build projects go open source and got tweaked for modern machines. I don't want to wait another decade or two to see a blood for modern machines. I'd love to see a project that gets modern features like mod support, high-res textures, and 3d models.

M210 has an older version of this project called BloodTC. It has Polymer lighting, high res textures and models. Its not quite as complete as GDX but its very playable.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 22 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

User is offline   m210® 

View Posticecoldduke, on 22 June 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

M210 you are not explaining why your solution works for other build engine games.

It seems, even after the explanation, you are hoping that I don't understand anything and everything is broken? :P So,as you wish...Time will tell.

View PostHendricks266, on 22 June 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

Plugging the old engine multiplayer code into modern networking protocols is easy. Restructuring the game logic to operate in a client/server manner is not.

You are right...I just make a test to understand that I can control the player input remotely or alternatively another code. My video is not a true multiplayer.
At the moment I have absolutely no experience with working with network protocols and server / client organization. But I think that I will be able to learn this (as a year ago I successfully studied the assembler for Blood reverse engineering)

View Postaxl, on 22 June 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

M210, a small request for the future. It would be really useful if BloodGDX would have the possibility to show "level stats" during a level... like number of enemies killed and number of secrets found...

It's these small game improvements (also featured in Eduke32 and Classic Redux) which makes the whole experience even better.

I know, I added this in my plans a long time ago, but I just have priority for fixing crashes.

View PostSPILL, on 22 June 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

Go back to playing BloodCM.

Thanks for all, man ;)) But you just need to wait a bit, and my projects will be a more better then BloodCM...I just working on app crashes and compatibility of demo-files. I'm almost finish it and I can start hires adding to my port soon. Btw, voxels is a first attempt of this, because voxels is a true models

View PostMark., on 22 June 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

M210 has an older version of this project called BloodTC.

Yes, and it was renamed to BloodCM

This post has been edited by M210: 22 June 2017 - 09:20 PM

User is offline   fgsfds 

View Posticecoldduke, on 22 June 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

M210 you are not explaining why your solution works for other build engine games

Just a quick test in eduke. Animated sprite looks much better with the fix applied and doesn't jump up and down anymore. Both polymer and polymost have this problem, while software doesn't.
Though I have absolutely no idea if it breaks anything anywhere else in the game.

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 22 June 2017 - 11:47 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostM210, on 21 June 2017 - 02:56 AM, said:

I think picture will not get information about this bug...I made a video with it :P
At first part of video I disabled " if (tsizy&1) sy0 += fy*.5; " from renderer and after that you will see bouncing sprite. Then I enable it back and problem is fixed ;)

eduke32 r6213 also has this bug, you can check it...tilenum is 506, tiles001.art from Blood

View Postfgsfds, on 22 June 2017 - 11:47 PM, said:

Just a quick test in eduke. Animated sprite looks much better with the fix applied and doesn't jump up and down anymore. Both polymer and polymost have this problem, while software doesn't.
Though I have absolutely no idea if it breaks anything anywhere else in the game.

Extremely helpful, thank you. The bug is fixed in r6248. For your purposes, the correct solution is if (globalorientation & 128 && tsizy & 1) sy0 += fy * .5;. You may not have noticed since cstat 128 is so common in Blood.

View PostHendricks266, on 23 June 2017 - 01:24 AM, said:

Extremely helpful, thank you. The bug is fixed in r6248. For your purposes, the correct solution is if (globalorientation & 128 && tsizy & 1) sy0 += fy * .5;. You may not have noticed since cstat 128 is so common in Blood.

That makes more sense. I couldn't figure out how to special case m210s fix but that works. I'll get that over to my branch.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 23 June 2017 - 03:15 AM

User is offline   m210® 

View Posticecoldduke, on 23 June 2017 - 03:13 AM, said:

That makes more sense. I couldn't figure out how to special case m210s fix but that works. I'll get that over to my branch.

Glad to see that you finally admitted your defeat :P

View PostM210, on 23 June 2017 - 03:17 AM, said:

Glad to see that you finally admitted your defeat :P

Your logic was right, but your fix wasn't complete without the stat check. Discussion is really important when flushing out anything technical. I wish your minions would understand that ;).

User is offline   m210® 

I can challenge this condition (cstat 128), but I will not :P

View PostM210, on 23 June 2017 - 07:07 AM, said:

If you disagree, state why you disagree :/.

User is online   Mark 

View PostM210, on 22 June 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

Yes, and it was renamed to BloodCM

Yes, but BloodCM dropped the high res and models which is what the original poster was looking for. Which is why I told him BloodTC.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 23 June 2017 - 07:27 AM

View PostM210, on 22 June 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

You are right...I just make a test to understand that I can control the player input remotely or alternatively another code. My video is not a true multiplayer.
At the moment I have absolutely no experience with working with network protocols and server / client organization. But I think that I will be able to learn this (as a year ago I successfully studied the assembler for Blood reverse engineering)

Did you read at all the post I posted about multiplayer in Build? Multiplayer is not just a after thought you add in a project, and it will require a fuck ton of work on your end since you haven't made your codebase with multiplayer in mind. Please don't assume multiplayer will be a easy thing to do.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

We tested it and it's straight up wrong (read: screws things up) when applied to sprites without cstat 128.

User is offline   SPILL 

M210 isn't making a port for "other build games", he's making a port for Blood. You guys already have a port. Why do you care that his fixes for Blood don't work in other build games???

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It's possible that your code changed when porting it to Java, or that our code changed after the version you based your work on. I stand by my test results.

View PostSPILL, on 23 June 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

M210 isn't making a port for "other build games", he's making a port for Blood.

gdxTekwar?

You guys already have a port. Why do you care that his fixes for Blood don't work in other build games???

They're not for Blood, they're for the engine. If it's wrong, it's wrong for every Build game.

• el fundador

Why do you care that his fixes for Blood don't work in other build games???

I dunno, maybe because he ported our engine to make it and because he reported that there was a bug in it? You need to chill; you've made 2 posts here and they're both pretty ass.

View PostManhs, on 20 June 2017 - 03:34 AM, said:

Hello, i don't know what kind of topic we can create here but the admin can remove it if it's not needed.

I wanted just say thank you for this awesome port, even in beta now, more options, good render and very smooth, it makes the game so enjoyable, a very good thing for the new players who want try blood!
I have refinished the original game without the autoaim and it was really interesting to play with this option, for the projectiles, it's really cool but harder with the tommygun and the shotgun ^^
I hope There won't be some problem with the copyright of the sourcecode even if it's reverse engineered.... because it's our last hope to have a good port!
It could be cool if multiplayer will be really a possibility and maybe some options like no friendly fire in coop, but it will be for later, in the future, but for now, it's still very cool!

All the fans behind you man (or team?), thanks so much for it! :P

It's great since the first release. No major issues so far.

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Hey, new here :P.

I think that BloodGDX is a nice port, something which a lot of Blood fans have been waiting for. Let's face it, the source code will be never released and after seeing many similar projects dying, I lost my hope. And then suddenly M210 came with his still WIP port. Despite it still has a lot of flaws here and there, I believe it can become a modern way to play Blood. Of course I noticed that someone here doesn't like the technical approach, which means using Java, I think it doesn't really matter because it's working! I mean, of course, criticism is important but let's not fight each other. Heh, I wouldn't be suprised if by the end of this year, we're going to have pretty much finished port with that rate of progress ;).

Well, as a matter of fact, the release of BloodGDX has motivated me to work again on my little custom weapons for Blood. Here's a video which I did for fun.

https://youtu.be/P3vQ4k_XwzA

Anyways, keep working hard M210!

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 25 June 2017 - 06:51 AM

View PostDzierzan, on 25 June 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Of course I noticed that someone here doesn't like the technical approach, which means using Java, I think it doesn't really matter because it's working!

Yes it does matter. His work requires someone to go out of there way to install the Java runtime. I would argue most people will not do that, and M210's userbase will suffer because people can't play until they install that shitty runtime, and most people IMO will refuse to do so.

I will not play his work because I refuse to install the Java runtime.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 25 June 2017 - 07:14 AM

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Maybe, I am not going to argue about that. I am not afraid of any viruses if you mean that. I wouldn't be suprised if someone do some reverse engineering on M210's port to get rid of java if people are really afraid of that :P. Time will tell.

View PostDzierzan, on 25 June 2017 - 07:29 AM, said:

Maybe, I am not going to argue about that. I am not afraid of any viruses if you mean that. I wouldn't be suprised if someone do some reverse engineering on M210's port to get rid of java if people are really afraid of that ;). Time will tell.

You can't get rid of Java in his port...his port is coded in Java :P.

User is offline   Master O 

View Postaxl, on 20 June 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Just want to add my 2 cents... Regardless the (possible) legal issues, I greatly appreciate the work M210 has done. We had to wait 20 years, but somebody stepped up and did something what nobody did before...

I'll add my 2 cents: Instead of this source port, the Blood fanbase needs to raise the money to buy the IP away from Warner Brothers. I don't get why no one wants to at least attempt it. Money is the only thing a corporation like WB understands.

User is online   Tekedon 

How much was it they said? 5 million bucks I think, or was that Atari? Remember reading that somewhere..

User is offline   Nokiaman 

View Posticecoldduke, on 25 June 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

Yes it does matter. His work requires someone to go out of there way to install the Java runtime. I would argue most people will not do that, and M210's userbase will suffer because people can't play until they install that shitty runtime, and most people IMO will refuse to do so.

I will not play his work because I refuse to install the Java runtime.

Good for you, but nobody really cares Working port > Nothing :P
Ever since the Java web browser plugin got deprecated there's hardly any problems. Plus I'll take it over UWP any day. ;)

View PostTekedon, on 25 June 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

How much was it they said? 5 million bucks I think, or was that Atari? Remember reading that somewhere..

Yeah it was something like that. Ridiculous, since they're not doing anything with the IP anyway.

This post has been edited by Nokiaman: 25 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

• el fundador

I thought it was 1 mil... still more than any of us have!

User is online   Tekedon 

And even if the small Blood community would be able to come up with the cash, they could still refuse to sell, since they are very protective of their IP's. I seem to recall that the sum was said mostly as a joke because of them not really wanting to sell anyway. I don't understand this either since they aren't planning on doing anything with Blood.

View PostNokiaman, on 25 June 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

Good for you, but nobody really cares Working port > Nothing :P
Ever since the Java web browser plugin got deprecated there's hardly any problems. Plus I'll take it over UWP any day. :D

Trading one bad idea for another does not make his idea any better ;).

User is offline   axl 

M210, just a small question: are you actually the only person working on your port? Do you have some kind of backup?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love what you're doing here and the Blood community will forever be in your debt, but it would be nice to hear that if, god forbids, something would get into your way of further developping this port (life, kids, work, ...), that someone would be able to continue your work.

I would hate to see the best thing that has happened in recent Blood years would go to waste...

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options