Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior: Deadly Kiss restoration project - Duke4.net Forums

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior: Deadly Kiss restoration project  "see you after Aftershock"

User is online   Phredreeke 

Speaking of level names, do the DK maps have their own names?

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

I found out recently that if you use the swtrek## command starting at 21, Twin Dragon actually has a bunch of unused maps. Nothing too special but they would make good WangBang maps.

Ok actually I take that back, the first few are actually pretty cool. The last few unused maps from the addon I think were made specifically for Wangbang.

Zilla's coffin is in level 24

This post has been edited by Ninjakitty: 16 August 2020 - 01:28 PM

Actually the readme file mentions there being three DM levels in TD. ftp://archives.gamer...gon/tdragon.txt

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPhredreeke, on 16 August 2020 - 11:59 AM, said:

Yes they do, it's one of the few pieces of information present in Joe Wilcox's data.

I'd post the names here but they would end up on a certain other website, stripped of all attribution to my team's research efforts.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostHendricks266, on 16 August 2020 - 07:41 AM, said:

Do you recall where you heard that name? The boss level is named Skyline in-game, but that's taken from WD's hex-edited exe which doesn't have a readme with corresponding longer names like TD does.

This site use the same name: https://www.moddb.co...ton-destruction
But I swear I have read it somewhere else too, probably in a walkthrough.

EDIT: Thx fgsfds

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 16 August 2020 - 03:02 PM

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostPhredreeke, on 16 August 2020 - 11:59 AM, said:

Dear Phredreeke,

When I played the entire Deadly Kiss using SWP the names of the maps appeared in the screen that appears after you click the ying yang simbol at the end of each level (the one that shows your time, secrets discovered, enemies killed etc, etc)

This screen after the end of each level I mean:

Posted Image

So these are the names that appear at the end of each level:

Deadly Kiss Levels:

Level 1: The Dojo
Level 2: The Docks
Level 3: Wrong Side of Town
Level 4: Zilla Plaza
Level 5: Outskirts
Level 6: Shrine of Honor
Level 7: Mamano Forest
Level 8: Village of the Damned
Level 9: Castle of Lin Tao

Secret Level: You Online Live Once

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 16 August 2020 - 05:18 PM

User is offline   mxrtxn 

I thought to post this later in the next voxel update, however I think it would be nice for fans to know that we are working on this project,

Posted Image

In my case I am also doing extra voxels besides the ones of the voxel pack (for extra content, mods etc). By the way many of the regular voxels in the pack are actually used in Deadly Kiss

Have fun

P.S Still gotta fix the bike many of these extra voxels, though they are not probably be approved for DK, it would be nice to let those available for the comunity to use for their own projects, mods, etc etc.

- You can easily use them for duke just by changing the colour pallete

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 22 August 2020 - 09:42 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

So if I understood everything correctly, the goal of this project isn't just to finish DK in general, but to improve gameplay/level design/etc to bring it to a similar (or even better) state as the other addons?

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostNightFright, on 23 August 2020 - 01:07 AM, said:

So if I understood everything correctly, the goal of this project isn't just to finish DK in general, but to improve gameplay/level design/etc to bring it to a similar (or even better) state as the other addons?

Not at all!

That was my personal opinion and statement! (not the DK group in general).
I am just the voxel guy that was invited some time ago to the DK discord group where we discussed some things about the game and I made some extra content on my own besides working in the voxel pack for Shadow Warrior.

Deadly Kiss was slowed down by the work that is Ion Fury as some DK guys were working on that game. So naturally Ion Fury has priority over other projects.

- I lost contact with the team as I terminated my discord account (gonna create another one ASAP).

- I do all this mostly for fun, 90s nostalgia, and love of the game. If they wanna add my stuff to the addon great if not I guess I will have to live with that.

- If they need specific extra art (of course I am more than willing to help them on that)

So the conclusion to your question: Is to finish DK in general. My personal stuff and opinions are completely secondary.
Deadly Kiss is playable, particularly, in the hardest difficulty with a last boss, a secret level (found in level 3) and secrets (some are unreachable btw hence the need to retouch the maps). I used SWP to play it and Redux (steam).

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 23 August 2020 - 09:10 AM

User is offline   Tekedon 

How far away is DK from release would you estimate?

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostTekedon, on 23 August 2020 - 11:56 AM, said:

How far away is DK from release would you estimate?

I think Hendricks as the leader is way more qualified to answer that question than me IMHO.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Very little content work has been done past what was left by SillySoft.

User is offline   jkas789 

I know Deadly Kiss is probably ways off from release, but I am still very excited for it. Shadow Warrior Classic is one of my favorite games and seeing it getting some love (remakes aside) brings a special joy to my stony crusty heart.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

We've got good things in the works. Will share more when the time is right.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Well I for one tend to think that the restoration involves sebabdukeboss20 and possibly Cage making new sprites for HUD weapons and monsters, there's new voice acting from either Alien Armageddon or Ion Fury ladies, and maps are getting polished.

But I may be wrong on everything of the above of course.

Neither are listed in the credits page linked on the first page of this topic

My first downvote :)

And maybe the participation of some people is a secret? (I have no idea, I was just guessing)

(Seriously though. It was not my intention to offend anyone involved in the project with my wild, off-the-bat guesswork. If an apology is indeed called for here -- hey, I'm sorry for making such statements without thinking first, okay?)

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 19 September 2020 - 11:11 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Just don't shit up the thread with noob comments. Kind of left field for you, honestly.

Deadly Kiss is an unfinished late 90's BUILD game addon. Don't expect too much, the project is not going to be radically different than what SillySoft probably would have released. The other 2 addons are a good way to gauge the intention of the final product.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 19 September 2020 - 12:36 PM

Also SW is the least mod friendly of the big three Build games. You can replace enemy sprites but you can't make new enemies the way NW and Life's a Beach did and even level names are hardcoded in the executable.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostPhredreeke, on 19 September 2020 - 05:38 AM, said:

Neither are listed in the credits page linked on the first page of this topic

I believe a few more people have joined since that was updated :)

Without upsetting other members of the team, what Evan has proposed for the final release of Deadly Kiss so far is very exciting and I think people should look forward to it when it has released.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostJimmy, on 19 September 2020 - 12:31 PM, said:

The other 2 addons are a good way to gauge the intention of the final product.

This actually something I'm kind of confused about. Wasn't Wanton Destruction also technically unfinished?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

In theory, it was closer to being finished than Deadly Kiss for sure. There was even a physical release mock up, of which at least one copy existed. It was probably 99% complete. Deadly Kiss was closer to 50% in my opinion.

View PostJimmy, on 19 September 2020 - 12:31 PM, said:

Just don't shit up the thread with noob comments. Kind of left field for you, honestly.

Hey, I'm really sorry -- I've had this idea in the back of my mind for some time somehow, without watching this thread closely. Don't know where I got that seriously. Good to know I was wrong. No offense, okay? That'll teach me not to post unresearched guesswork in the future.

View PostJimmy, on 19 September 2020 - 10:17 PM, said:

In theory, it was closer to being finished than Deadly Kiss for sure. There was even a physical release mock up, of which at least one copy existed. It was probably 99% complete. Deadly Kiss was closer to 50% in my opinion.

Well that explains a lot. When playing through Wanton Destruction I always though it felt somewhat unfinished and thematically some maps imo dont make sense in the order they are in?

I don't know, I never liked Wanton Destruction. Like Im impressed at some of the maps for the time (the airplane comes to mind) but others I felt were such a bore to get through.

View Postjkas789, on 20 September 2020 - 05:08 AM, said:

Well that explains a lot. When playing through Wanton Destruction I always though it felt somewhat unfinished and thematically some maps imo dont make sense in the order they are in?

I don't know, I never liked Wanton Destruction. Like Im impressed at some of the maps for the time (the airplane comes to mind) but others I felt were such a bore to get through.

There's actually a lot more cohesiveness between maps in Wanton Destruction compared to the main game. Most maps in WD have connecting areas you can see from both maps so it makes sense where you came from and where you're going. Though if you ever stop to think about how there's a fishing market and the ocean on the 100th floor of a skyscraper it makes a little less sense at some points. Imo it's basically finished, it's already got a level of polish you can't find in the main game or other addons. But also I'm fairly sure the add-on is actually two episodes condensed into one since the box mentions two but the released game only supports replacing the code of honor episode. Not sure if that would have played a hand in trying to force maps together that might not really go together.

User is offline   MetHy 

Sure Wanton Destruction has some rough edges, the best example of that being The Docks, its relative emptiness and its total lack of shading, but overall unfinished or not, the design standards are higher than that of most other expansions, even compared to the likes of Duke It Out In DC.

I've probably already said this multiple times in the past but Monastery must be Robert Travis greatest achievement: it's at the same time conceptually grand, but also pays attention to the small details, probably has the best use of the C key of the editor (to make round shapes) of any Build map ever, and takes Romero's concept of "If you can see an unreachable place, it's actually a secret place you have to figure out how to reach" to an unmatched level.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 24 September 2020 - 12:29 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

just because I'm pretty slow; this project is still active? Is it an official Voidpoint thing or a hobby/side project? Just curious, is all.

View PostNinjakitty, on 20 September 2020 - 09:24 AM, said:

There's actually a lot more cohesiveness between maps in Wanton Destruction compared to the main game. Most maps in WD have connecting areas you can see from both maps so it makes sense where you came from and where you're going. Though if you ever stop to think about how there's a fishing market and the ocean on the 100th floor of a skyscraper it makes a little less sense at some points. Imo it's basically finished, it's already got a level of polish you can't find in the main game or other addons. But also I'm fairly sure the add-on is actually two episodes condensed into one since the box mentions two but the released game only supports replacing the code of honor episode. Not sure if that would have played a hand in trying to force maps together that might not really go together.

I would have to take your word for it. I personally don't like the Shadow Warrior expansions (frankly I hate Twin Dragons more than wanton destruction). I think some levels are impressive however others are just to much of a drag with cheap traps. I much prefer Shadow Warriors supperior flow and tighter level design IMO.

Then again I have shit taste (I like Penthouse Paradise and Redneck Rampage, at the very least in concept if not in level design) so for all I know I may be grossly wrong.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Nah. Even the base game has pretty shitty level design.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options