• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior - "New Episode"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

In polymer -

It took a bit longer to lag than usual - the majority of the time it begins lagging at the barrel explosion behind the key-locked door.
This time it waited until I got under water.
The vid ends when the game crashes:

Dieded on purpose to show what the game does just about every time I die (because I'm usually firing my weapon) - loads my last save, then crashes as soon as I try to use a keyboard key (the moue is locked out & doesn't provide input any more)

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

Forge, I'm not sure why your getting those issues. I'll tackle that after I've fixed the ammo spawning issue.

As everyone knows I am rewriting audiolib, but I haven't been forthcoming on my plans for replacement. The new audio system will be called "audiolib2", and will be using FMOD. TermiT has given me authorization to use FMOD in my port(special thanks for that!). There are a lot of cool features coming to my port, because I'm using fmod. Proper positional audio, surround sound, a proper virtual voice system, etc. So please bear with me as I get the replacement audio system in there. For those of you that are "originalists", I ask that you give the new audio system a chance :thumbsup:.

Also I found the source of some of the hitching. The engine was loading some audio on request, rather then at load time. The new audio system will cause no hitching, because I'm now loading in all the audio before the game displays the 3dr logo.

For those of you compiling from source, master is my working branch. Audio is currently broken in there as create "audiolib2". If you want a working branch, please download the source code from the release branch.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 24 July 2017 - 07:47 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View Posticecoldduke, on 24 July 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

For those of you that are "originalists",...

....stop using ports.
The End
-roll credits-

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

As everyone knows I am rewriting audiolib, but I haven't been forthcoming on my plans for replacement. The new audio system will be called "audiolib2", and will be using FMOD. TermiT has given me authorization to use FMOD in my port(special thanks for that!). There are a lot of cool features coming to my port, because I'm using fmod. Proper positional audio, surround sound, a proper virtual voice system, etc. So please bear with me as I get the replacement audio system in there. For those of you that are "originalists", I ask that you give the new audio system a chance :thumbsup:.

Now you're making me wish I had surround sound speakers! :P

This post has been edited by Ninjakitty: 24 July 2017 - 08:09 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Forge, I'm not sure why your getting those issues. I'll tackle that after I've fixed the ammo spawning issue.

Dunno, but they're polymer specific.
With polymost, no lag, and even if I die while holding down the fire button and get that - insta-last-save-load, the game will continue to play on as normal from the load. No crash.

Like I said, maybe my poor old 2GB 650ti can't handle the changes you made.
Don't know if you implemented polymer lights yet or not, but if you notice in the vid, I'm not getting them.

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 July 2017 - 09:05 PM

View PostForge, on 24 July 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

Dunno, but they're polymer specific.
With polymost, no lag, and even if I die while holding down the fire button and get that - insta-last-save-load, the game will continue to play on as normal from the load. No crash.

Like I said, maybe my poor old 2GB 650ti can't handle the changes you made.
Don't know if you implemented polymer lights yet or not, but if you notice in the vid, I'm not getting them.

It supports polymer lights, but as of yet, you have to add them into the map through the editor.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostForge, on 24 July 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

addendum - it will crash with polymost when doing the "insta-last-save-load" by spamming a mouse assigned fire button when dying - just not every time though.

edit:
addendum 2 - apparently it won't crash every time with polymer either (just more prone to) - so maybe it's some kind of mouse or buffer issue.

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 July 2017 - 09:18 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Mentioned that it was still doing this too, but here's the screen shot o go with it:

Attached File  swcp0000.jpg (161.11K)
Number of downloads: 20

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 July 2017 - 09:37 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Also I found the source of some of the hitching. The engine was loading some audio on request, rather then at load time. The new audio system will cause no hitching, because I'm now loading in all the audio before the game displays the 3dr logo.

For those of you compiling from source, master is my working branch. Audio is currently broken in there as create "audiolib2". If you want a working branch, please download the source code from the release branch.

If you're going to dick around with the game like this, you need to quit calling it a port and start calling it a mod.

View PostHendricks266, on 24 July 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

If you're going to dick around with the game like this, you need to quit calling it a port and start calling it a mod.

Just give it a chance :thumbsup: that's all I ask. I also disagree with you, a port with a better audio system, is still a port :P.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 25 July 2017 - 04:39 AM

Just so everyone knows, in the next update, I am changing the user.lua level tables. Music entries are now in there own table, and song name is now replaced with song id which points to a entry in the level table.

-- Music table, contains all the music for the game.
music = 
{
	[0] = {"none"},
	[1] = {"none"},
	[2] = {"music/track02.ogg"},
	[3] = {"music/track03.ogg"},
	[4] = {"music/track04.ogg"},
	[5] = {"music/track05.ogg"},
	[6] = {"music/track06.ogg"},
	[7] = {"music/track07.ogg"},
	[8] = {"music/track08.ogg"},
	[9] = {"music/track09.ogg"},
	[10] = {"music/track10.ogg"},
	[11] = {"music/track11.ogg"},
	[12] = {"music/track12.ogg"},
	[13] = {"music/track13.ogg"},
	[14] = {"music/track14.ogg"},
}

-- Game maps listed out invididually
levels =
{
    --       Level Name,     Song id,      Description,                 Best Time  Par Time
    -- Shareware Levels
    [ 0] = { "title.map",    2,    " ",                         " ",       " "       },
    [ 1] = { "$bullet.map",  4,  "Seppuku Station",           "0 : 55",  "5 : 00"  },
    [ 2] = { "$dozer.map",   9,  "Zilla Construction",        "4 : 59",  "8 : 00"  },
    [ 3] = { "$shrine.map",  12, "Master Leep's Temple",      "3 : 16",  "10 : 00" },
    [ 4] = { "$woods.map",   10, "Dark Woods of the Serpent", "7 : 06",  "16 : 00" },

-- Registered Levels
    [ 5] = { "$whirl.map",   5,  "Rising Son",                "5 : 30",  "10 : 00" },
    [ 6] = { "$tank.map",    6,   "Killing Fields",            "1 : 46",  "4 : 00"  },
    [ 7] = { "$boat.map",    8,  "Hara-Kiri Harbor",          "1 : 56",  "4 : 00"  },
    [ 8] = { "$garden.map",  11, "Zilla's Villa",             "1 : 06",  "2 : 00"  },
    [ 9] = { "$outpost.map", 12, "Monastery",                 "1 : 23",  "3 : 00"  },
    [10] = { "$hidtemp.map", 5,  "Raider of the Lost Wang",   "2 : 05",  "4 : 10"  },
    [11] = { "$plax1.map",   10, "Sumo Sky Palace",           "6 : 32",  "12 : 00" },
    [12] = { "$bath.map",    4,  "Bath House",                "10 : 00", "10 : 00" },
    [13] = { "$airport.map", 6,  "Unfriendly Skies",          "2 : 59",  "6 : 00"  },
    [14] = { "$refiner.map", 9,  "Crude Oil",                 "2 : 40",  "5 : 00"  },
    [15] = { "$newmine.map", 7,  "Coolie Mines",              "2 : 48",  "6 : 00"  },
    [16] = { "$subbase.map", 10, "Subpen 7",                  "2 : 02",  "4 : 00"  },
    [17] = { "$rock.map",    8,  "The Great Escape",          "3 : 18",  "6 : 00"  },
    [18] = { "$yamato.map",  7,  "Floating Fortress",         "11 : 38", "20 : 00" },
    [19] = { "$seabase.map", 9,  "Water Torture",             "5 : 07",  "10 : 00" },
    [20] = { "$volcano.map", 10, "Stone Rain",                "9 : 15",  "20 : 00" },
    [21] = { "$shore.map",   11, "Shanghai Shipwreck",        "3 : 58",  "8 : 00"  },
    [22] = { "$auto.map",    5,  "Auto Maul",                 "4 : 07",  "8 : 00"  },

-- Deathmatch Levels
    [23] = { "tank.map",     11,   "Heavy Metal (DM only)",     "10 : 00", "10 : 00" },
    [24] = { "$dmwoods.map", 8,  "Ripper Valley (DM only)",   "10 : 00", "10 : 00" },
    [25] = { "$dmshrin.map", 7,   "House of Wang (DM only)",   "10 : 00", "10 : 00" },
    [26] = { "$rush.map",    13,   "Lo Wang Rally (DM only)",   "10 : 00", "10 : 00" },
    [27] = { "shotgun.map",  5,  "Ruins of the Ronin (CTF)",  "10 : 00", "10 : 00" },
    [28] = { "$dmdrop.map",  6,   "Killing Fields (CTF)",      "10 : 00", "10 : 00" },
}

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 25 July 2017 - 04:59 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostHendricks266, on 24 July 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

how pleasant.
While you're at it, M210 is doing great things with his bloodgdx and needs some extra criticism, if you have enough to share.

• Weaponized Autism

View Posticecoldduke, on 25 July 2017 - 03:51 AM, said:

Just give it a chance :thumbsup: that's all I ask.

I give your commit history a chance every time I look at it.

View PostHendricks266, on 25 July 2017 - 06:07 AM, said:

I give your commit history a chance every time I look at it.

When I'm done with audiolib2, I welcome any feedback you would like to give. I'm only asking, that you to hold off talking shit about it until its done :thumbsup:. That being said however, if you(or anyone else) has any granular criteria for the new audio system, or requested features, please let me know!

• Weaponized Autism

You're using FMOD. Instant fail.

Aren't the remakes random games that share nothing with the original except the name, also using Fmod?

• Weaponized Autism

That would be the appeal to authority and/or bandwagon fallacies.

Fmod is a great sound library. It has shipped many games many AAA games. You can't look at a few shitty ports and assume my port will have the same level of shittiness. Audio is a huge component in any game, and its important, in my mind, that Shadow Warrior has excellent audio as well.

EDIT:
I'm not sure if I understood you comment Ninjakitty. My only point is, there are a lot of great reasons to use FMOD. All I'm asking is for people that think negatively about FMOD to reserve judgement until I'm finished and have something to release.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 25 July 2017 - 06:39 AM

• Weaponized Autism

I don't doubt you can pull off something passable with FMOD, but that's not my point.

User is offline   Forge 

So what should he use, Wwise? Unity?

You're not making a point, you're merely throwing rocks.
If you were making a point, you'd have a decent recommendation/solution to go with your rocks.

This post has been edited by Forge: 25 July 2017 - 06:52 AM

• Weaponized Autism

My recommendation would be to use years of experience from personal experiments and interest in audio manipulation and digital signal processing, as well as the acquired skills of writing correct, clean, and performant code to write a modular replacement audiolib that does not suffer from being designed to abstract between several DOS-era hardware devices using C89, that can either use the original math for compatibility or swap in something better/more realistic, and that is not encumbered by licensing, portability, or closed-source issues.

Unfortunately, I can't spend the time on rewriting audiolib right now.

View PostHendricks266, on 25 July 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

My recommendation would be to use years of experience from personal experiments and interest in audio manipulation and digital signal processing, as well as the acquired skills of writing correct, clean, and performant code to write a modular replacement audiolib that can either use the original math for compatibility or swap in something better/more realistic, and that is not encumbered by licensing, portability, or closed-source issues.

Unfortunately, I can't spend the time on rewriting audiolib right now.

I have no doubt you have the talent to write a good audio mixer. In my particular case it makes sense to use a battle tested sound API, and not re-invent the wheel. All I'm asking, is for you to reserve judgement until I release something :thumbsup:.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 25 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

View Posticecoldduke, on 25 July 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

EDIT:
I'm not sure if I understood you comment Ninjakitty. My only point is, there are a lot of great reasons to use FMOD. All I'm asking is for people that think negatively about FMOD to reserve judgement until I'm finished and have something to release.

LOL, I was just saying that the "remakes" used it, and it sounded fine. I have no problem with this port using it.

This post has been edited by Ninjakitty: 25 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View Posticecoldduke, on 25 July 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

I have no doubt you have the talent to write a good audio mixer. In my particular case it makes sense to use a battle tested sound API, and not re-invent the wheel. All I'm asking, is for you to reserve judgement until I release something :thumbsup:.

I'm not an expert on the subject of audio or licensing, but don't most of those middleware programs start charging fees after so many releases or assets are used?

That would be counter-productive to making mods using this port, as you'd be limited on how many audio assets could be included, or how modified a release could be before it's considered a 'new' release/game.

this is a good point:

View PostHendricks266, on 25 July 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

......and that is not encumbered by licensing, portability, or closed-source issues.

I don't fully understand, that's why I ask.

This post has been edited by Forge: 25 July 2017 - 07:31 AM

View PostForge, on 25 July 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

I'm not an expert on the subject of audio or licensing, but don't most of those middleware programs start charging fees after so many releases or assets are used?

That would be counter-productive to making mods using this port, as you'd be limited on how many audio assets could be included, or how modified a release could be before it's considered a 'new' release/game.

I don't fully understand, that's why I ask.

FMOD is not wwise. Wwise has a limit on number of audio assets that can be used until you pay for it. FMOD has no such limitations. Here is fmod's licensing for those who are interested: http://www.fmod.com/licensing

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 25 July 2017 - 07:32 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View Posticecoldduke, on 25 July 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

FMOD is not wwise. Wwise has a limit on number of audio assets that can be used until you pay for it. FMOD has no such limitations. Here is fmod's licensing for those who are interested: http://www.fmod.com/licensing

Their free license = One free game release a year.

What's their definition of a 'game'?
Could any new mod using your port could be considered a DLC, or will be be considered a new release?

This post has been edited by Forge: 25 July 2017 - 07:41 AM

Free license is for commercial games. Read there FAQ

Q. Do I need a license to distribute FMOD in a game or other software application?
A. If it’s for personal, educational or non-commercial use, you are covered by the End User License Agreement (EULA). For commercial use of FMOD you will need to obtain another license from us.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 25 July 2017 - 07:42 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View Posticecoldduke, on 25 July 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

Free license is for commercial games. Read there FAQ

One game every twelve months.
That's why I asked what their definition of a 'game' & a DLC or mod is. How many assets can be altered before it's considered a 'new' game by them.

This post has been edited by Forge: 25 July 2017 - 08:06 AM

View PostForge, on 25 July 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

One game every twelve months.
That's why I asked what their definition of a 'game' & a DLC or mod is. How many assets can be altered before it's considered a 'new' game by them.

The three tier licensing they have on there site, is for commercial licenses only. So if your a indie, making under 500k a year, you can use FMOD for one commercial game, per year. Mods for Shadow Warrior are non commercial. They don't fall under the free tier restrictions, instead non commercial falls under the EULA, and has no restrictions besides you can't sell your work without getting a commercial license.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 25 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Why would you drop the audio library instead of coming up with a preloader? Especially since you'll have to resample all of your audio to make it sound even remotely similar to the ASS (aka the original intended sound). You're just creating a ridiculous amount of work for yourself.

Also that license is incompatible with EDuke32. You'd need to arrange it so you could build without FMOD and have an otherwise functioning game (and even then it's a bit of a grey area). FMOD license also would be incompatible with the fact that the engine is current in use for a commercial game.

Share this topic:

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options