Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior - "New Episode" - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • 36
  • 37
  • 38
  • 39
  • 40
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior - "New Episode"

User is offline   Forge 

  • 8,111

#1111

View Posticecoldduke, on 23 July 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

Anyone else experience a high repo crash like forge? For me it's 1 out of 15 now. I have all music and grp files installed.

still seems to be completely random - I can play for a couple minutes, or I could play for an hour before I experience a crash.


Also, climbing up and down ladders is still painfully slow.
1

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Sperge Overlord
  • 6,319

  #1112

View PostWombat, on 23 July 2017 - 05:42 PM, said:

Ok, well when you're done making this Shadow Warrior port resemble anything but Shadow Warrior, don't forget to change the name.

View PostWombat, on 23 July 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

Sure, but the default should be the original SW Build color scheme because it will help differentiate it further from Duke's editor.

View PostWombat, on 23 July 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

I'm sure once the choice few of them start learning the tagging system of SW which is vastly different than Duke, the color scheme will be the least of their worries.
Do you need to be reminded that Shadow Warrior and Duke3d are different games? Yeah, you're on a Duke forum but I don't think SW should pay for that.

Be faithful to SW.

Mapster32's color scheme differs from DOS Duke too. If you're that butthurt about the colors changing, feel free to load up BUILD.EXE in DOSBox.

Who gives a fuck if you "can't tell the editors' color schemes apart"? It literally does not matter.
5

User is offline   High Treason 

  • 1,093

#1113

I've built maps for SW, never liked the original color scheme to be honest, hard on the eyes.

Also, I could be wrong, but I was sure the user could redefine the colors in Mapster32 themselves? Not sure if ICD has left this feature in and I don't recall how it was done because I never needed to do it, but I was sure it was possible...

The option to switch is a good idea though, as I guess that pleases as many people as possible if you're willing to implement it.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My Website - My FTP - Forum

You have got to let the rhythm move you, move you. You have got to let the rhythm move your body to the beat.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 23 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

1

User is offline   Hank 

  • 2,123

#1114

View PostForge, on 23 July 2017 - 06:51 PM, said:

still seems to be completely random - I can play for a couple minutes, or I could play for an hour before I experience a crash.


Also, climbing up and down ladders is still painfully slow.

I played now for on/off two hours, no crash to report.
As for the ladder, I have one of my mouse button on Jump; each jump is one step up, it feels more realistic ??!???
Yep, debatable, have not tested this within the Airplane map, where one wrong step kills, but then again, I won't do maps like that either :)

[added]
Going down a ladder is an issue; the down motion has no accelerator button, so going down a ladder may need some improvements?

Ein sarkastischer Deutscher

This post has been edited by Hank: 23 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

0

User is offline   icecoldduke 

  • 1,322

#1115

View PostHigh Treason, on 23 July 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

The option to switch is a good idea though, as I guess that pleases as many people as possible if you're willing to implement it.

It's a wish list item. It's a D level task for me(will only get done if I'm really really bored).

PolymerRTX
PolymerRTX github
ICED Shadow Warrior Port
https://crozzbreed23...site.com/icedsw

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 23 July 2017 - 07:28 PM

0

User is offline   Forge 

  • 8,111

#1116

View PostHank, on 23 July 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

I played now for on/off two hours, no crash to report.
As for the ladder, I have one of my mouse button on Jump; each jump is one step up, it feels more realistic ??!???
Yep, debatable, have not tested this within the Airplane map, where one wrong step kills, but then again, I won't do maps like that either :)

[added]
Going down a ladder is an issue; the down motion has no accelerator button, so going down a ladder may need some improvements?

I merely started the game on one occasion and let the demos run - the game crashed.

- jumping up ladders is a cute temporary work-around - until you play a map where you have to climb down a ladder. (Sumo Sky Palace & as you mentioned - Airplane)

Both climbing up and down need to be fixed
2

User is offline   Hendricks266 

  • Sperge Overlord
  • 6,319

  #1117

BTW, I've deduced that Wombat is Robman, and have personally banned that ass.
1

User is offline   icecoldduke 

  • 1,322

#1118

View PostHendricks266, on 24 July 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

BTW, I've deduced that Wombat is Robman, and have personally banned that ass.

I have removed the original color scheme task from my list, sw mapster will have the same color scheme as duke mapster.

View PostForge, on 23 July 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

Both climbing up and down need to be fixed

I'll move this up on my priority list. I have some other work to finish first, but I'm hoping to have a audio crash fix for you guys in the next patch.

PolymerRTX
PolymerRTX github
ICED Shadow Warrior Port
https://crozzbreed23...site.com/icedsw

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 24 July 2017 - 06:33 AM

1

User is offline   High Treason 

  • 1,093

#1119

Having now slept I looked it up. http://wiki.eduke32....guage#Mapster32

Can't seem to get it working with your port though, so I'm guessing it was part of something you removed or changed somewhere. Either that or I did it wrong in my test case as the log did not call out my modified DEF as an error, my DEF file contained the following;
2dcol 256 0 255 255
spritecol 10 256 256

Not really an important issue though, can probably be completely neglected for the time being.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My Website - My FTP - Forum

You have got to let the rhythm move you, move you. You have got to let the rhythm move your body to the beat.
2

User is offline   icecoldduke 

  • 1,322

#1120

View PostHigh Treason, on 24 July 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

Having now slept I looked it up. http://wiki.eduke32....guage#Mapster32

Can't seem to get it working with your port though, so I'm guessing it was part of something you removed or changed somewhere. Either that or I did it wrong in my test case as the log did not call out my modified DEF as an error, my DEF file contained the following;
2dcol 256 0 255 255
spritecol 10 256 256

Not really an important issue though, can probably be completely neglected for the time being.

All features in duke mapster should work in sw mapster(except for duke specific stuff). If something general like this doesn't, then its a bug. I'll take a lot at this after the crash and ladder stuff.

PolymerRTX
PolymerRTX github
ICED Shadow Warrior Port
https://crozzbreed23...site.com/icedsw
1

User is offline   Forge 

  • 8,111

#1121

View PostNinjakitty, on 23 July 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

Y'know, sooner or later, you're going to HAVE to add in physics/dropped items.
I'm guessing you just haven't gotten around to that yet.
But I keep running out of shurikens! :lol:

winning pachinko machines don't seem to spawn items either
1

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

  • 92

#1122

View PostForge, on 24 July 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

winning pachinko machines don't seem to spawn items either

Exactly, all physics items (items that have velocity set) don't spawn.
I think it should be high priority to fix this.

When life gives you lemons... https://youtu.be/CM-CIvMEqUs?t=52
0

User is offline   icecoldduke 

  • 1,322

#1123

View PostNinjakitty, on 24 July 2017 - 12:19 PM, said:

Exactly, all physics items (items that have velocity set) don't spawn.
I think it should be high priority to fix this.

After the crash, thats the very next thing I'm going to fix.

PolymerRTX
PolymerRTX github
ICED Shadow Warrior Port
https://crozzbreed23...site.com/icedsw
1

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

  • 92

#1124

View Posticecoldduke, on 24 July 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

After the crash, thats the very next thing I'm going to fix.

YAS!!! :D

When life gives you lemons... https://youtu.be/CM-CIvMEqUs?t=52
0

User is offline   icecoldduke 

  • 1,322

#1125

View PostNinjakitty, on 24 July 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

YAS!!! :D

This will take a bit though, I'm going to be doing huge modifications to the audio system. When that is complete and tested I'll get this bug fixed.

PolymerRTX
PolymerRTX github
ICED Shadow Warrior Port
https://crozzbreed23...site.com/icedsw
2

User is offline   Photonic 

  • 1,255

#1126

View PostHendricks266, on 24 July 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

BTW, I've deduced that Wombat is Robman, and have personally banned that ass.

I could tell right away lol. I wondered how long it would take you guys to drop the ban hammer.
0

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

  • 92

#1127

View Posticecoldduke, on 24 July 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

This will take a bit though, I'm going to be doing huge modifications to the audio system. When that is complete and tested I'll get this bug fixed.

Yeah... Are ya gonna fix audio staying on the same side it was played on? (something blows up to the right, still sounds like it's on the right when you rotate your view 180 degrees)

When life gives you lemons... https://youtu.be/CM-CIvMEqUs?t=52
1

User is offline   icecoldduke 

  • 1,322

#1128

View PostNinjakitty, on 24 July 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Yeah... Are ya gonna fix audio staying on the same side it was played on? (something blows up to the right, still sounds like it's on the right when you rotate your view 180 degrees)

I'm going to re-write the audio system, so yes. TX and Hendricks will never take my new audio system(so please don't ask them). I'll share more info on the new audio system later on.

PolymerRTX
PolymerRTX github
ICED Shadow Warrior Port
https://crozzbreed23...site.com/icedsw

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 24 July 2017 - 12:50 PM

1

User is offline   TerminX 

  • el fundador
  • 5,526

  #1129

View PostNinjakitty, on 24 July 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

Yeah... Are ya gonna fix audio staying on the same side it was played on? (something blows up to the right, still sounds like it's on the right when you rotate your view 180 degrees)

Jeez, even Duke3D got that one right.

EDuke32 wiki svn builds bugs
Join us in #eduke32 on irc.freenode.net!
0

User is offline   Hank 

  • 2,123

#1130

View Posticecoldduke, on 24 July 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

I'm going to re-write the audio system, so yes. TX and Hendricks will never take my new audio system(so please don't ask them). I'll share more info on the new audio system later on.

Can you also then give a quick run down, why the audio affects the game? All I know is data management and gui, so sound and video are unknowns. Just being nosy here. :)

Ein sarkastischer Deutscher

This post has been edited by Hank: 24 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

0

User is offline   Master O 

  • 81

#1131

View Posticecoldduke, on 24 July 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

I'm going to re-write the audio system, so yes. TX and Hendricks will never take my new audio system(so please don't ask them). I'll share more info on the new audio system later on.


So, assuming you ever do officially add Shadow Warrior to eduke32, it will use the original sound system, then?
0

User is offline   icecoldduke 

  • 1,322

#1132

View PostHank, on 24 July 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

Can you also then give a quick run down, why the audio affects the game?

There is a race condition in the code were a block of memory is getting freed as its being used by the audio system. This is causing the crash you guys are seeing. The shadow warrior audio code(not audiolib, but sounds.cpp), is a cluster fuck. The logic in there relies on playing a audio track, recording the channel that its on, and assuming that same piece of audio will still be on that channel, as it executes a bunch of logic. I thought I fixed that, but I found some audio misfires being caused by the this issue still.

Sounds.cpp is going to have to be heavily re-written no matter what I do. There are just too many bugs in that system. While I'm in there, I want to have 5.1 surround sound audio. I want to have proper positional audio, etc. So while I'm in there, I'm just going to rewrite the entire damn thing. I can also deal with the sdl_mixer issue I've been seeing, by removing it, and replacing it.

I will ensure that the rest of the code won't be affected, and these changes will be isolated to sounds.cpp, so when and if my stuff moves over, there won't be any issues.

PolymerRTX
PolymerRTX github
ICED Shadow Warrior Port
https://crozzbreed23...site.com/icedsw
2

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

  • 92

#1133

View Posticecoldduke, on 24 July 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

There is a race condition in the code were a block of memory is getting freed as its being used by the audio system. This is causing the crash you guys are seeing. The shadow warrior audio code(not audiolib, but sounds.cpp), is a cluster fuck. The logic in there relies on playing a audio track, recording the channel that its on, and assuming that same piece of audio will still be on that channel, as it executes a bunch of logic. I thought I fixed that, but I found some audio misfires being caused by the this issue still.

Sounds.cpp is going to have to be heavily re-written no matter what I do. There are just too many bugs in that system. While I'm in there, I want to have 5.1 surround sound audio. I want to have proper positional audio, etc. So while I'm in there, I'm just going to rewrite the entire damn thing. I can also deal with the sdl_mixer issue I've been seeing, by removing it, and replacing it.

I will ensure that the rest of the code won't be affected, and these changes will be isolated to sounds.cpp, so when and if my stuff moves over, there won't be any issues.

That sounds great! :D

*EDIT: Just realized I made an unintentional pun, LOL

When life gives you lemons... https://youtu.be/CM-CIvMEqUs?t=52

This post has been edited by Ninjakitty: 24 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

1

User is offline   Hank 

  • 2,123

#1134

obsolete - deleted

Ein sarkastischer Deutscher

This post has been edited by Hank: 26 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

0

User is offline   Forge 

  • 8,111

#1135

occasional polymer pools look glitched
(and some portals still show their tag in game)
Attached File  swcp0000.jpg (198.08K)
Number of downloads: 17

also the game occasionally seems to go into hyper-mode where the enemies (especially the coolio spirits) get super speed.
edit: this turbo-enemy behavior is usually followed shortly by game-lag / huge drop in fps

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

1

User is offline   Hank 

  • 2,123

#1136

View PostForge, on 23 July 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

I merely started the game on one occasion and let the demos run - the game crashed.

- jumping up ladders is a cute temporary work-around - until you play a map where you have to climb down a ladder. (Sumo Sky Palace & as you mentioned - Airplane)

Both climbing up and down need to be fixed

As for going down a ladder, as you know, pressing 'J' gives you a floating mode. Yes, cheating, but I didn't know this one.

Ein sarkastischer Deutscher
1

User is offline   Forge 

  • 8,111

#1137

View PostHank, on 24 July 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

As for going down a ladder, as you know, pressing 'J' gives you a floating mode. Yes, cheating, but I didn't know this one.

I did not know that.

I've always fell, grabbed the ladder at some point down, jumped out, looked down, and grabbed the ladder again before hitting bottom - repeat until it's safe to fall off the ladder without taking too much damage, or risk clipping through the platform at the bottom.
0

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

  • 92

#1138

View PostForge, on 24 July 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

occasional polymer pools look glitched
(and some portals still show their tag in game)
Attachment swcp0000.jpg

also the game occasionally seems to go into hyper-mode where the enemies (especially the coolio spirits) get super speed.
edit: this turbo-enemy behavior is usually followed shortly by game-lag / huge drop in fps

ROR in Shadow Warrior behaves oddly in that you can't see from from one floor to another if you're not in one of the sectors surrounding it (you were around the corner). I'm not sure Polymer was fully at fault for that one.

When life gives you lemons... https://youtu.be/CM-CIvMEqUs?t=52

This post has been edited by Ninjakitty: 24 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

0

User is offline   Forge 

  • 8,111

#1139

View PostNinjakitty, on 24 July 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

ROR in Shadow Warrior behaves oddly in that you can't see from from one floor to another if you're not in one of the sectors surrounding it (you were around the corner). I'm not sure Polymer was fully at fault for that one.

Just to be funny - I walked into that room & it looked fine - I left, the framerate took a shit, I came back, the water looked like shit.
Shortly after that the game crashed - that level is acting like crap.

What's the console command to turn on the fps monitor so I can make a vid showing what's going on?


edit:on a side note - I can bounce into the screen menu & change the setting from polymer to classic & back, to rescue the game from frame-rate hell & imminent crash.
Maybe my 650ti can't handle this game in polymer any more after the changes?

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

1

User is offline   Hank 

  • 2,123

#1140

View PostForge, on 24 July 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

What's the console command to turn on the fps monitor so I can make a vid showing what's going on?

it used to be swloc , maybe something that needs to be fixed also?

Ein sarkastischer Deutscher
0

Share this topic:


  • 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • 36
  • 37
  • 38
  • 39
  • 40
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options