Duke4.net Forums: Questions and requests for Randy Pitchford regarding Duke Nukem IP - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions and requests for Randy Pitchford regarding Duke Nukem IP  "Duke Nukem 3D, World Tour, Fanbase and the future of the IP"

Poll: Questions and requests for Randy Pitchford regarding Duke Nukem IP (81 member(s) have cast votes)

Questions and requests

1. Is there a way for you to stay closer with the fanbase regarding future plans for the IP? (29 votes [9.67%])

Percentage of vote: 9.67%

2. Release a patch for World Tour fixing some issues like the final boss AI attacks, flamethrower effectiveness, invincible minibosses,etc. (33 votes [11.00%])

Percentage of vote: 11.00%

3. Could it be possible to release the Quake/Unreal builds of DNF with the editor and let the fans piece it together using a limited license? (49 votes [16.33%])

Percentage of vote: 16.33%

4. Could it be possible to release some old Duke3D betas? (38 votes [12.67%])

Percentage of vote: 12.67%

5. What is the status of the franchise world wise in terms of incomes and audiencie interest? do we have a chance to get a new Dukem Nukem title according with this? (31 votes [10.33%])

Percentage of vote: 10.33%

6. Will we see more maps made by Allen Blum, Leverlord and you in the future? Could they be convinced someway to join the community actively? (23 votes [7.67%])

Percentage of vote: 7.67%

7. Is there a way to make Duke Nukem character suitable for new audiences standards? (18 votes [6.00%])

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

8. Is there a chance to release pieces of history concerning the development of Duke Nukem games? (24 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

9. What do you think of Duke? How do you see his character, the story around him, or the gameplay aspects of his games? (12 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

10. Is there a particular reason why we don't have modding tools for Duke Nukem Forever? (16 votes [5.33%])

Percentage of vote: 5.33%

11. What the community could do to help the franchise? (17 votes [5.67%])

Percentage of vote: 5.67%

12. It seems there's no legal way to acquire the three expansion packs of Duke3D. Any plans on this subject? (1 votes [0.33%])

Percentage of vote: 0.33%

13. Gearbox is known to send C & D orders to indie projects making use of Duke IP. Will those projects see the light of sun someday? (1 votes [0.33%])

14. When will we get to see the return of Duke Nukem 1, 2, 3D (DOSBox version w/ the 3 addons) Manhattan Project and Balls of Steel on Steam and GOG.com? (3 votes [1.00%])

Percentage of vote: 1.00%

15. Will we get DNF source coded released someday? (1 votes [0.33%])

16. What's Randy's opinion of Duke 3D user maps and total conversions? Did he try any of them, what's(are) his favourite one(s)? (1 votes [0.33%])

17. "Is there any way that the Duke Nukem mapping/modding community could have some modern tools to make maps/mods with instead of being limited to the old BUILD engine, as good as modern source port enhancements are?" (1 votes [0.33%])

18. Can we discuss about Duke's character on future games or movies, it seems treat it as a parody hasn't worked very well. (2 votes [0.67%])

Percentage of vote: 0.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 21 May 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

I think someone (may have been NightFright) was restoring the Duke!Zone 2 maps and he said they had lots of critical bugs and bad design that could break them, though from what I remember they looked sorta ok, bad design aside.

From DukeXtreme, the only thing I wanted was the T-shirt that came with the Duke Apocalypse bundle. Coolest thing ever! :(

Xtreme had some very fun multiplayer maps.

User is offline   axl 

Regarding the requested fix for WT: I would really appreciate an option to turn the "weapon wheel" off... this thing is way too slow and can get yourself killed in the heat of the moment when you have to change weapons fast.

I don't think it was mentioned before.

Thx !

This post has been edited by axl: 21 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

User is offline   stumppy84 

I agree, it is dog poo..

User is offline   Duke4Beta 

What about releasing the source of Duke4? Is that too far off since the engine has had a lot of trouble and isn't very suited for next generation games?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

So what of the Duke Nukem movie that never came to be despite the rumors about Lawrence Kasanoff, and then later Scott Fayeand

and some unofficial stuff like in this thread:
https://forums.duke4...the-movie-2013/

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

User is offline   Romulus 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 May 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

All you gotta do is have your browser request the desktop version of a website. Chrome does this in options. There's probably an option for every browser to do this.

Yep. But a simple option to switch between the mobile version and full version would be nice to have.

View Postnecroslut, on 21 May 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

Xtreme had some very fun multiplayer maps.

I didn't have internet when I first got DukeXtreme, so I didn't care much about the multiplayer aspect. I played it for the scripts, mostly. Some of them were pretty cool, but I was in my preteen years and without internet I had no way of knowing what the community was doing at the time.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

As Randy stated, he's more interested in what to do with Duke going forward. I think a discussion (not a question) could be had about how to treat Duke's character. Not so much a parody, as has been done, but the serious action hero with tongue-in-cheek one-liners and funny moments. I don't think it would be overboard to "reboot" the character by forgetting DNF exists (as pertaining to any future story) and getting his character back in order. Pointing out the differences between Duke3D Duke and DNF Duke be a good starting point there. I really hope that is discussed as it seems to be the point where Randy will most likely listen.

User is offline   stumppy84 

Agreed! He's obviously more interested in the future of the franchise and I think we need to help cobble a decent vision for the character.

This post has been edited by stumppy84: 28 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

User is offline   DUDE NOGUM 

• Banned

https://youtu.be/KuWZHt7zd74

User is offline   DUDE NOGUM 

• Banned

69th reply... Naughty Number

User is offline   NNC 

I'm a bit disappointed that the Blum/Levelord question didn't get more votes. That would be so awesome for the community if they join the forum and share their thoughts about leveldesign, add some background infos of their maps, and of course the (not very possible) future at mapping.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 16 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

User is offline   Fulsy 

At the risk of getting slammed for beta begging and/or suggesting something that's already been considered, I'd like to relay an idea I've been sharing with people.

Would it at all be possible to release D3D beta content exclusively for owners of WT? It would be right at home in a release that's meant to commemorate the 20th anniversary. In addition, it'll help illustrate some points that were brought up in Levelord and AHB's level commentary (AHB mentioning all the different things that got cut out of Hollywood Holocaust, for example). Not to speak for TX or Hendricks, but they've hinted before that playable builds are ready, and they're just waiting on permission from GBX.

People will have to buy WT for access, however. That's the compromise. And for the people who still own WT, it would serve as a thank you to the people who ponied up and bought it.

The same thing could also be considered for Duke Forever's content. Access to the early content for people who own the game. It would serve as a testament to one of the most (in)famous game dev stories of all time, and finally give closure to people who wanted to experience what they saw in the early trailers. I just don't know if it's as "ready to go" as the Duke3D stuff is.

This post has been edited by Fulsy: 21 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Not a terrible idea I guess.

User is offline   jet_nick 

View PostFulsy, on 21 June 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

At the risk of getting slammed for beta begging and/or suggesting something that's already been considered, I'd like to relay an idea I've been sharing with people.

Would it at all be possible to release D3D beta content exclusively for owners of WT? It would be right at home in a release that's meant to commemorate the 20th anniversary. In addition, it'll help illustrate some points that were brought up in Levelord and AHB's level commentary (AHB mentioning all the different things that got cut out of Hollywood Holocaust, for example). Not to speak for TX or Hendricks, but they've hinted before that playable builds are ready, and they're just waiting on permission from GBX.

People will have to buy WT for access, however. That's the compromise. And for the people who still own WT, it would serve as a thank you to the people who ponied up and bought it.

The same thing could also be considered for Duke Forever's content. Access to the early content for people who own the game. It would serve as a testament to one of the most (in)famous game dev stories of all time, and finally give closure to people who wanted to experience what they saw in the early trailers. I just don't know if it's as "ready to go" as the Duke3D stuff is.

Unfortunately, they will never release betas :P

User is offline   NNC 

View PostFulsy, on 21 June 2017 - 09:30 AM, said:

http://www.businessd...ie-in-sale.html

User is offline   Toxic34 

-Will you release a patch to fix the sound FX files of the PS4 and Xbox One versions of Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary World Tour?

-Can you please do a new "definitive version" release of Duke Nukem 3D, which would include the expansion pack material in the Megaton Edition? And if so, can it feature a full remake of the game with modern, Unreal Engine 4 visuals?

-Will the Xbox 360 version of Duke Nukem Forever be compatible with the Xbox One?

-Will we ever get a chance to play some of the older, historic builds of DNF?

-Will we get a brand new Duke game, to give him a special, new reimagining like Doom, Wolfenstein and Shadow Warrior?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Boxers, Briefs, or Commando?

View PostToxic34, on 05 July 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

-Will we get a brand new Duke game, to give him a special, new reimagining like Doom, Wolfenstein and Shadow Warrior?

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money, Gearbox or some outside 3rd party, is already working on a new Duke game.

It would also be nice if Randy released the source code to DNF so the community could fix it up.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 06 July 2017 - 06:13 AM

View Posticecoldduke, on 06 July 2017 - 06:10 AM, said:

It would also be nice if Randy released the source code to DNF so the community could fix it up.

I think I've mentioned this somewhere already, but this will likely never happen due to DNF being based on Unreal Engine 1, which as of this time has not been open-sourced by Epic. You'd likely need to go through them at some point before even thinking about it.

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 06 July 2017 - 10:43 PM, said:

I think I've mentioned this somewhere already, but this will likely never happen due to DNF being based on Unreal Engine 1, which as of this time has not been open-sourced by Epic. You'd likely need to go through them at some point before even thinking about it.

Hmm.. aren't there other UE1 based games such as Deus-Ex and Nerf Arena Blast that came with the UE1 based editor? So why would it be so different of a case for DNF to not be able to give the tools out?

NerfED for NAB: https://static.giant...45-untitled.png

Tutorial for DX1 editor: http://www.offtopicp...ingStarted.html

Don't you think DNF is important enough of a title that if there were to be some legal issues with releasing the editor, that Epic or whoever could look past them and do a community service by doing so? I mean correct me if wrong but DNF still is the game that was for the longest time in development in history of videogames.

edit:Sidenote, happy b-day

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 07 July 2017 - 07:10 AM

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostYatta, on 19 May 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

This thread is going to be the basis for our chat with Gearbox. I'm very happy that based on the votes, the E3 2001 version of the game is the community's biggest demand. I have always shared that sentiment.

Since 2001 and to this day, I dream of one day playing or at least seeing it in its full glory. To quote Joe (and I'm paraphrasing), "I bet you'd still go apeshit if the E3 2001 trailer was played as a video game ad in movie theaters."

Thanks OP for putting this thread together and to everyone who participated in it.

You're welcome.

I updated the poll with the latest points. I hope these subjects can be considered even if they didn't received any votes due to obvious reasons.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options