• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View PostLkMax, on 07 July 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

Oh, it's back as an archived video, must've been a temporary problem.

PS:

Totally agree, I really dislike the cartoon style of Borderlands and cel-shading like in TF2, for FPS gaming at least.

Not even XIII ?

I would be very excited to get a DN2/MP like sidescroller duke game made.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostNeverSawFreeWilly, on 07 July 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

I may troll/provoke but I won't lie to you. ;)

Spoiler

User is offline   Hank 

n/m

This post has been edited by Hank: 07 July 2017 - 03:32 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

There were a few interesting tidbits tossed around.

The direction taken about some of the beta material seemed positive. Even if only a few people get to see the full extent behind closed doors.
Randy was a bit reticent on HTTKC / portable device porting, but the door doesn't seem completely closed either.
He also seemed a bit wishy-washy on a future Duke game - mostly due to vision and $$$.

Dunno. He's hesitant to license the i.p. out to third parties because he's worried about Duke's reputation, and he's hesitant about making a new game because he wants absolute top quality for Duke's reputation.
It doesn't really add up to me that he's Duke's savior - more like his jailer. I think DNF made him gun-shy.

At least the bombshell build game is something to look forward to.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostNeverSawFreeWilly, on 07 July 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

I may troll/provoke but I won't lie to you. :P

You better not ;)

View Postspessu_sb, on 07 July 2017 - 03:09 PM, said:

Not even XIII ?

I don't mind it in platformers or isometric games like Don't Starve, but I don't like it in FPS games. Just personal preference, there's not an objective reason for that which I could point out.
I guess I don't like feeling like I'm traped in a comic book or something, hah, and realistic graphics are prettier.

PS:

View PostForge, on 07 July 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

It doesn't really add up to me that he's Duke's savior - more like his jailer. I think DNF made him gun-shy.

Yeah, that's what bothered me.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 07 July 2017 - 03:48 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I think if we had a decent FPS version of Duke, there would be a lot more love for something like what Fred described.

Hopefully work with Voidpoint will change his mind, it would be the best evidence to him that third party guys can do the job right if they care enough.

So Randy won't release the old DNF builds until the publishing rights stuff with 2K isn't sorted out. But wait a minute: isn't that the exact same thing he had said about the classic Duke games on GOG?

• Polymancer

He said he wants to release a 'full package' including some kind of documentary on what happened. Part of this involves talking to 2K. That is just how it is, you can't say "Fuck it, we'll just do it." and stay in business.

User is offline   Paul B 

Randy hit the nail on the head. He's looking for something new, innovative not re-hashing old stuff. I guess the next big thing would be bringing Duke Nukem to virtual reality (Vive). Is the technology really there yet for Duke and would virtual reality mesh well with multi-player.... Let's turn the player into Duke and is this even possible at this stage?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 07 July 2017 - 04:34 PM

• Polymancer

Fred says he'll get mod tools for DNF if Randy can get the rights sorted.

View PostAltered Reality, on 07 July 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

So Randy won't release the old DNF builds until the publishing rights stuff with 2K isn't sorted out.

That's going to require a lot of money to get that shit sorted out. I can only imagine how much money 2k put into DNF.

View PostPaul B, on 07 July 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

Randy hit the nail on the head. He's looking for something new, innovative not re-hashing old stuff. I guess the next big thing would be bringing Duke Nukem to virtual reality (Vive). Is the technology really there yet for Duke and would virtual reality mesh well with multi-player.... Let's turn the player into Duke and is this even possible at this stage?

It depends on the interpretation of the term "VR". In the worst case, it means "create an environment with extremely limited interactivity like cell phone games, make it natively support stereoscopy and motion tracking, and make sure that's the whole reason anyone would buy the game". That's what I call "VR as an end", and it's the lamest implementation there can be. It obviously makes the game immersive, but the allowed actions remain boring, and nobody wants to get immersed into something boring.
Then there's what I call "VR as a means". Take a game that would already be fun on its own, and add stereoscopy and motion tracking support. Then you get a solid game that VR makes more immersive, and subsequently even more fun.

I've been a VR enthusiast for over a decade, and the best games I played with an HMD have never been games that were advertised as "VR" (llike that's the only reason to buy them in the first place). They've always been normal, good games, with VR support added by the end user through various drivers. Case in point: these days, the game I had more fun to play in VR was Arkane's Prey. "But it doesn't have VR support!" True, it's not a native feature and it's not what was hyped for, but install ReShade and set the SuperDepth3D.fx shader correctly for your HMD, and BAM! Instant VR.

User is offline   Hank 

This was a disappointing. Oh well, I'm used to it :P

from another thread, but those are my sentiments

View PostForge, on 06 July 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

*waiting on EDduke64*

Watched the entire meeting end to end and changed my mind:
The door of communication is now open and with those open channels is hope for a good future. ;)

This post has been edited by Hank: 08 July 2017 - 04:42 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostYatta, on 07 July 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

Thanks for posting this. I would not have known to mention it in the Youtube livestream otherwise.

No problem. I made Stephen's wife aware of where he was mentioned in the video in case she missed watching it live.

User is offline   Steve 

• Honored Donor

Interesting stuff

Got home from work and immediately started watching the VOD. Definitely some great back and forth, I can say I'm pretty excited to see some of those licensing deals Randy was talking about in terms of merch and the like come to fruition. The movie deal, in particular, intrigues me greatly.

More than anything I think it's just great to hear Gearbox speaking out about Duke Nukem. I understand that when youre negotiating things shooting your mouth off is the best way to ruin everything youre building, but it's nice to be reminded that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I get Randy's frustration with the community seemingly being geared against him, but I think it's just easy to take pot shots at the figure head. Especially when you're hungry, if you get what i mean.

Probably unrealistic to expect this to become a regular sort of thing but I hope Randy's take-away from it all is positive and we can look forward to another one of these at some point.

User is offline   stumppy84 

Yes, great chat you guys had! There is hope now!!

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I challenge anyone to take the recent voice recordings by Jon St. John in World Tour, reduce them to the equivalent quality of the original recordings and compare. I've done it and there is a difference. He nailed some of the lines, but others just aren't the same as they used to be. You can even compare to high quality recordings he did 10 years or so ago (like the Duke Rockem Radio Imaging promo) and he sounds more like he should there.

I think it's maybe just age or he's lost touch with how he used to say them ever since they removed his shackles to say the lines without any direction. As a longtime fan, it's a big deal to me to hear his voice stray away from what it used to be. If it's age related, I can understand, but if it's the result of him losing touch with how he used to deliver the lines, then it's something that should be looked at, in my opinion. If you check the comments on YouTube videos or anywhere, many people have noticed this change in his voice and have brought it up. With that many people bringing it up, it should be a concern for Gearbox and the future of Duke... and I'm pretty sure it's not people just wanting to complain. It's a legitimate concern and I doubt it's going to go away.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 07 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

So is anyone able to sum up what we know Randy is on board for, what is projects are coming and what info we think he gained from us?

User is offline   axl 

View PostxMobilemux, on 08 July 2017 - 01:21 AM, said:

So is anyone able to sum up what we know Randy is on board for, what is projects are coming and what info we think he gained from us?

An overview would be nice indeed.

So I reckon from the video that the HTTKC will be taken into consideration. That's promising. Two (probably dumb) questions then:

1. The HTTKC is, in the first place, foreseen for android. In case of a green light: I assume it will be released for PC as well?
2. Seeing the HTTKC is regarded as the definitive version of Duke Nukem 3D... Alien World Order would be included ?

User is offline   NY00123 

Thanks for bring this session out, especially considering that such a thing does not occur every week!

I do agree on this point: Making promises before you're absolutely sure is not a good idea.

There was also enough mentioned in this session that I suppose we don't hear that often, like references to old licenses/agreements (even if brief).

This post has been edited by NY00123: 08 July 2017 - 01:40 AM

If HTTKC comes out for steam It will be the fourth Duke Nukem 3D on my list

• Polymancer

None of this is set in stone and depends on various other parties agreeing.

HTTKC is back on the table.
Fred has offered to get the DNF tools ready for public release if Randy can sort licensing.
Fred got the green light from Randy to do a Duke side-scroller in the vein of Rad Rodgers.
TX told Randy why fans were upset about WT.
There may be some movement on getting the source of WT.
Randy is discussing a new AAA Duke game with various developers.

User is offline   Minigunner 

View PostLkMax, on 07 July 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

Totally agree, I really dislike the cartoon style of Borderlands and cel-shading like in TF2, for FPS gaming at least.

For their respective games, they work IMO. Though Borderlands should have a better outlining than that sobel post-process effect. And maybe a little customization for those who might like thinner lines for higher resolutions, or softer lines at lower resolutions.

My optimist part wants to hope he was telling the truth.

My cynical part cannot avoid to notice how he gave the same excuse about:
- old Duke games on GOG
- old DNF builds
- DNF mod tools
- World Tour source code (after complaining about bad connection)

Additionally, his "triple A or nothing" attitude for Duke sounds just like George. Besides, he even said why so far he always chose nothing (World Tour and Bulletstorm Tour are not original content). Whenever anything Duke-related is released, people rage and tear it to pieces in order to find anything to complain about. Investing in a Duke game only to get insulted for years and see it trashed everywhere by people who idolize Duke3D and for whom nothing will ever come close, makes no sense from a financial point of view.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 08 July 2017 - 03:38 AM

User is offline   Minigunner 

You try to appeal to everyone, you end up appealing to no one.
I think the "cult classic" method is the way to go. Aim for the best quality, rather than what appeals the overall gaming community, and as a result attract a particular sect that develops into a loyal fanbase.

As for innovation, it's not so much what the game innovates as how Duke and his world makes use of modern features. Technically, I personally think innovation is at a slowdown, and graphical fidelity isn't so much the way to go; however, working on achieving the same fidelity at a higher framerate should definitely be the way this industry should go before making any huge hurdles. As for Duke, the innovations should come through gameplay. Heck, DNF had a good amount of uniqueness in its gameplay despite adopting a lot of modern (at the time) gamplay tropes. Interactivity with the world, as well as bonuses for being creative, are a baseline for Duke Nukem games.

User is offline   stumppy84 

I totally agree! It's damn near impossible to innovate! Everything has been done, look at Doom 2016. They innovated a bit in the visuals department but everything has been done. But it was a great game

If they want to do something different, for starters they should bring back old and complex level design and focus on PC market more since this is where this genre truly belongs, nobody does this anymore. This is not innovation, but it's even better since they will be the first (after Voidpoint) to come back to original FPS roots without copying soulless shit like CoD and playing it save, "oldschool" won't be a meme in that case either. If Doom managed to be a huge success, a Duke game on the level of DN3D and above should make them bank.

View PostAltered Reality, on 08 July 2017 - 03:34 AM, said:

Whenever anything Duke-related is released, people rage and tear it to pieces in order to find anything to complain about. Investing in a Duke game only to get insulted for years and see it trashed everywhere by people who idolize Duke3D and for whom nothing will ever come close, makes no sense from a financial point of view.

You guys are pretty terrible in that regard :P.

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options