Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem - Duke4.net Forums

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I have a question for Randy Pitchford about World Tour :

"Is there a possibility to have (in the future) a multilanguage dubbing for Duke's lines in Duke 3D World Tour ?"

I know it could be difficult, especially in therm of budget, but dubbing was the main upside of Duke Nukem Forever, especially in the french version where Daniel Beretta (the official dubber of Arnold Schwartzenegger, who dubbed Duke Nukem in "Time to Kill" and "Land of the Babes" as well) did such a great job !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 13 May 2017 - 06:23 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMetHy, on 13 May 2017 - 01:16 AM, said:

Randy clearly says he wants to talk, but not by reading and posting tons of forum posts, and instead of suggesting a solution, half of you jump on the situation to make a list of "what I want" posts.

Great job guys.

The owner of the Duke i.p. comes to a Duke community; whatcha gonna talk about? The weather? Borderlands?

great sanctimonious post.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Well I think that isn't much of a problem, we can easily resume what almost everyone in the community wants in a 5 bullet list or so. The admins (or whoever are gonna be in the videochat) need to agree on what points to include and discuss, short and clear that's it.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 13 May 2017 - 07:24 AM

User is offline   Forge 

So along with their Duke 'wants', people should be including a list of who they want to represent the community?

Shouldn't be someone who is a suck-up - kinda hard to talk when they have a mouth full of Randy's cock.
Shouldn't be someone who is a hater - Randy's not going to listen to someone who will do nothing but kick him the balls (he can go to twitter for that)
Shouldn't be someone who's only going to serve their own self interest - by taking advantage of the situation to try to sell their ideas and services for employment or monetary gain.

I'd recommend Trooper Dan

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 May 2017 - 09:41 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Hello Randy.
(and for who ever will volunteer to make a video chat)
I have the World Tour: Are there any plans to fix it up?
* Boss 5, action and AI; basically missing.
* Will Boss 5 get a cool new look? #5 looks like #3 with a paint over = very poor in my books.
* Mini Bosses' invincible phenomena, will this get fixed?
* Flame Thrower effectiveness? (should be balanced across all actors [enemies])
* Lighting effect. Rocks should not shine like glass, will this get fixed?
* Work Shop support ? To include custom material, textures and actors, or a simple methodology to upload custom maps to moddb then install to the World Tour game.
* Official map editor (Yes, we all know it's Mapster32, but Mapster32 is being further developed, so which version of Mapster32)
There is more, but those are my pet peeves.

Nice to see you here, best wishes and all that.

This post has been edited by Hank: 13 May 2017 - 09:46 AM

• Music Producer

What about making a poll thread for that? in the assumption the persons mentioned agree to do the chat.

It should be streamed as well.

+1 about Dan.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMike Norvak, on 13 May 2017 - 08:13 AM, said:

What about making a poll thread for that? in the assumption the persons mentioned agree to do the chat.

It should be streamed as well.

+1 about Dan.

Well, considering the abuse that person will have to endure in future, I say, let them volunteer first and then vote for those willing to do it.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

That was quite unexpected.

Perhaps there is one most important thing I would wish you to consider: please, stay close to your fans and try to listen reasonable criticism, especially when it comes to Duke fans who are very passionate people and love franchise since 90s. Not only will it help your business greatly, I bet you yourself will feel happier too knowing that there are so many people who are ready to support you and your products. And yeah, don't forget to show more love to PC market too. People are very hungry for good PC games and at least for non-terrible console ports. I'm saying this as Japanese who for his entire life played on consoles and bought PC exactly because it has a lot of amazing releases like Duke or many other games which have good optimization and good KB+M control.

Seriously, just look at SEGA closely who is doing very well right now. Their new attitude toward fanbase made Sonic relevant and good franchise again, for example. Just not so long ago people hated Sonic and treated him as a joke to the point that Sonic Boom nearly killed franchise. At that time SEGA also experienced a lot of failures on various markets which resulted in many troubles for company, only just because they were too incompetent and didn't listen to their potential consumers. During that time only arcade market was really profitable enough to keep them at least somehow relevant. SEGA is so good at communication with people that they allowed talented people to make official Sonic game after the time when some of these talented fans ported their 2d Sonic games to mobile and consoles. Those people are so good at their work that their modern ports are the best 2d Sonic versions, no one is bitching about quality and prices either, not to mention that their games were in top seller for a very long time, all because of quality and love put into them. Duke Hail To The King collection would be no different (as someone who don't like mobiles I would buy that collection myself, though I would rather prefer to see it on PC of course).

And now SEGA is doing very great while their consumers are happy and consider them one of the best modern publisher and developer right now. Have you heard how well Valkyria Chronicles sold on PC? That's because it had good price, it had all possible content included in release and it was a very well done port overall without any additional anti-consumer crap like Denuvo (it completely made me ignore your and other products which I wanted to buy). That PC port was so good I even pre-ordered it with a help of a friend since the game wasn't available in Japan. It was all what people wanted and that's why it was successful. I don't think I even saw anyone who bitched about actual game and really hated the work SEGA did with it. When they released Bayonetta I also got it day one too, the same thing I did about Vanquish, I pre-ordered that as soon as I saw it on Steam store and I will gladly continue supporting SEGA until they fuck up badly enough to alienate me (hopefully that won't happen).

Hell, Randy, if you treated the same Battleborn better you could easily kill Blizzard's Overwatch. Sexuality bait alone made it successful and killed Battleborn and that was just one reason. Another thing Blizzard don't have is Steam which is the biggest PC market (and considering Gearbox have more freedom distribution, you could use other markets too), all what they have is their shitty Blizzard App. They even damage their crappy game themselves by hating PC fanbase (IIRC developers didn't like that people played Overwatch with KB+M, can you imagine, developers are mad that people don't play FPS with gamepad).

Putting more work into development on PC will bring you a lot of money and love considering that modern consoles are doing worse than PS3 so that even main demographics (Japanese) don't want to support modern consoles.

So, in other words, learn from your mistakes and start treating your consumers better, start to listen to your fans and work with them to make better future for Gearbox and your fans, it's not too late to change.

And sorry if my English is shitty, as I said, I'm Japanese, so it's not my native language. Thank you for reading.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 13 May 2017 - 08:29 AM

• Music Producer

On the other hand it shouldn't be necesary to have any "real chat" we can make a list with the most voted issues in a poll thread and then send it to Randy, then a live streaming could be scheduled with him answering the points.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostHank, on 13 May 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

Well, considering the abuse that person will have to endure in future, I say, let them volunteer first and then vote for those willing to do it.

Volunteer to interface with Randy? We don't need star-struck fan-boys with a man-crush representing the community.
Select the best qualified, then let those on the list step forward.

James Stanfield would be another good candidate.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostMetHy, on 13 May 2017 - 01:16 AM, said:

Randy clearly says he wants to talk, but not by reading and posting tons of forum posts, and instead of suggesting a solution, half of you jump on the situation to make a list of "what I want" posts.

Great job guys.

Anyway maybe you should set up a livestream, but if this thread is any clue, everyone will be there clugging the chat with their lists of demands, so it might be hard to have any kind of construstive discussion. Good luck, and sorry for the skepticism.

That's probably my fault because I started the trend when I posted the first reply and asked for DNF 2001. However I also think Forge has a point. And I also think Randy is precisely here for the reason of getting feedback on the Duke franchise, and not some other matter.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostForge, on 13 May 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

Volunteer to interface with Randy? We don't need star-struck fan-boys with a man-crush representing the community.
Select the best qualified, then let those on the list step forward.

James Stanfield would be another good candidate.

OK then.
+ 1 for James Stanfield.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I nominate Charlie.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Re-releasing some of those older console games for PC isn't exactly going to make a ton of money. The real important matter is the future of Duke--what works, what doesn't, and how to make the character work in today's world without catering to the social justice types who would never buy a Duke Nukem game in the first place. It's a tough situation when the game bloggers at places like Polygon and Kotaku are on a completely different page than the potential customer base. Hell, people like ol' Benny K were so upset about the content of DNF that they even went as far as to lie about it in reviews on sites like Ars Technica, claiming that the game forced you to murder innocent women to proceed.

User is offline   Forge 

That's why we should look for representation from people who will take the future, as well as the past, into consideration.
Is there a DLC expansion niche for WT? (old and new addons)
Is there enough left of the Duke4E (2001) to do anything with, and would there be a market for a retro-release?
What would make good market appeal for a Duke Nukem 5, and what would be some of the desired features that would give it longevity?
How do you 'fix' the character's personality traits and attitude?

This post has been edited by Forge: 13 May 2017 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   NNC 

+1 for Charlie Wiederhold. He was working on DNF, has clear insights of its development, and the entire franchise.

My nomination: Mikko Sandt

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Personally i respect randy for doing this, i know words havent always been kind towards you at duke4 and other places, and i would really love to see more cooperation as i strongly believe that both parties could benefit a lot from this.

My suggestion is to form a small group, gather questions in a list, discuss points and maybe open up those questions and points from our perspective. Many of us have analyzed, picked apart and seen and created so much content over the years that something that seems obvious to us about on what makes duke "duke" might be challenging to get across without a bit of backstory :(

Discuss these, where we come from, how we see things and where to go next. I would happily help with discussing these and helping with organizing, having been involved in various things from build editing tips to meltdown stuff, httkc and dissecting lameduke/0.99 content

What i would love to see is some more community cooperation.
Id love if there was a chance to do few pilot small releases on duke that could grow in to something bigger later on. People have a ton of passion for especially duke3d, im sure that if something was greenlit, the community would surely help as best as they can and could crunch out improvements or new content for duke (be it beta stuff/feedback/expansion help/old ge help/etc...) This could all be handled inside by vested members / veterans, allowing gbx to have a final say. I wouldnt want to explicitly state that people should work for free, but i think that there is a ton of dedication to the franchise and people ready to jump in and help for the greater good.

From what ive witnessed, with the right hands, you can see something similar to sonic mania. Tons of work, sweat and hours put in to perfecting and creating something from the community and to the community. Its ultimately something money truly cant buy.

sega comparison was excellent i think.
But i do also see that gamedev is a business, needs to make money, justifying costly projects left and right wont work. I do think that the community can help with offloading this.

Got a bit emotional there :(

This post has been edited by oasiz: 13 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

• Music Producer

I just made a poll with the main requests I've read in this thread, so anyone could easily see them resumed instead of searching through all the posts.

User is offline   stumppy84 

+1 for Charlie Weinerholder, if he has time..
If not then any of these dudes, Dan, Yatta, James, Methy, Forge, and of course TerminX.

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

It's great to see Randy here.

I do think there's a lot of potential goodness to come out of this forum, though in my opinion there are a lot of extreme people on here so be prepared to take the good with the bad.
I'm only a lurker myself, but I do consider myself a Duke fan.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The extreme people are what make this site great. I'm offended pretty much every time someone is banned.

User is offline   NY00123 

I don't think I have much to add. While it's true I've had just the *idea* of you joining these forums, it is a surprise to actually see a post of yours right here.
I maybe don't post here a lot, but let's hope enough can be done which makes both sides satisfied.

To summarize, welcome to the forums!

This post has been edited by NY00123: 13 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

User is offline   spessu_sb 

Upvoted the post.

I honestly wasn't expecting this to happen and I will give credit for wanting to actually communicate with the duke community about duke's possible future.

I haven't either been your biggest fan but if you're willing to try and work things out, I have absolutely nothing against that and would also like to welcome you here as much as anyone else (as much as a newbie like myself can welcome anyone).

Welcome

View PostTerminX, on 13 May 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

Re-releasing some of those older console games for PC isn't exactly going to make a ton of money. The real important matter is the future of Duke--what works, what doesn't, and how to make the character work in today's world without catering to the social justice types who would never buy a Duke Nukem game in the first place. It's a tough situation when the game bloggers at places like Polygon and Kotaku are on a completely different page than the potential customer base. Hell, people like ol' Benny K were so upset about the content of DNF that they even went as far as to lie about it in reviews on sites like Ars Technica, claiming that the game forced you to murder innocent women to proceed.

it may not make a ton of money but it would make people happy to get the game as a download on Steam without using a cd , as I said along time ago when I was trying to hunt down Land of the babes it was a pain in the ass to get a good copy of the game the ones that came in were so bad I had to sent it back they were not playable at all it also agood thing I didn't use a Rom version of the game there were flaws in it.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

That was probably the longest sentence I have ever read in this forum.

IMO the priority would be to fix some of the bad things about WT, most of all the sound effects. Map lighting can be fine tuned as well. We're in an era when it's actually easier to do this and it'll give Gearbox good rep if they actually do it.

People look at original Duke release with rose-tinted glasses, but it did have some issues of its own... Weapon balance for example was all over the place, with weapons like Shrinker being too good with very abundant ammo, while the Freezer was a bad version of the Shrinker. The Freezer would only become good in Atomic Edition, because it's the best weapon against the Newbeasts, but Atomic Edition introduced the Expander, which is quite weak and has too little ammo capacity (a full Expander clip can't even kill a Battlelord IIRC, and Battlelord itself can't be expanded either, though it can be shrunk and frozen). Devastator made later bosses pathetically easy, too, to the point I sometimes avoid using it. Hardest boss in the game is Battlelord, against which you can't have Devastator (but then Doom was the same since you didn't have BFG against Cyberdemon and you could easily kill the Spider Mastermind with it, which had less hitpoints than Cyberdemon). Duke wasn't the only game of the era with balance issues, of course, in fact it was the norm rather than the exception, but we still loved it because it was (and still is) so fun.

Ports of other games would take a while. Shadow Man and Turok didn't appear out of nowhere, there were PC versions of those back in the day so the code was much easier to reverse-engineer. Not the case with Time to Kill, Zero Hour and Land of the Babes.

I've got to say, just this thread being here fills me with a lot of hope for the future. Randy, you've definitely earned some respect for making an effort to engage. I hope this turns out positively for everyone.

User is offline   Sanek 

Guys, can you stop posting for a while? He don't even wrote a new post yet, and probably never will if you continue bombarding this theard with myriads of wishes! I mean, I hope there will be some dialogue, but there will be higher chance of it if you don't wrote all your questions at the same time!

Btw, it's nice to see someone like Randy Pitchford here. :(

User is offline   jet_nick 

View PostRandy Pitchford, on 12 May 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

Hi,

I just registered an account on Duke4.net after receiving a nice e-mail from someone who apparently is a member of this forum.

The author was respectful and sincere and was attempting to motivate me, in a positive way, to engage with this community.

My time tends to be pulled in a lot of different directions and it's generally difficult for me to find the time to engage on any forums, so please do not take it as a sign of disrespect if I do not visit often or post much.

That said, the user who contacted me has successfully compelled me to interact. I'm now curious to discover if there is any positive value to be had through an interaction with members of this forum. I confess that I am skeptical, but am willing to give it a shot.

Given my schedule, I'm not sure that trying to go back and forth via this forum is the best way to create the greatest amount of interaction in the time I can commit. I'm thinking, perhaps, some kind of live-text-chat or even a video chat with some folks you guys choose to represent this community in something along the lines of a google hangout could be an interesting way to communicate. I am open to other ideas, but time is my most limiting factor, so we'll have to figure out how to respect that so I do not fail in my responsibilities and duties to all the talented people who's livelihoods depend upon my attentions.

I'll check back maybe later this evening and certainly tomorrow to check this thread and decide how to engage further based on what I find.

Best regards,

-Randy

Hi Randy,
Thanks for what you did with world tour and bulletstorm.
It would be nice if some Bugs like WT were handled.
The community would also like to see some articles about Duke's development, or the release of some beta material in order to encourage the community to discover Duke evolution.
Thx by a fan.

User is offline   Randy Pitchford 

• Gearbox CEO

Hi,

I've read through this thread and appreciate the passion and enthusiasm amongst you.

I think there's several categories of discussion including, but not limited to:

- Anything related to the future of Duke (including strategy)
- Questions about support for existing software
- Interest / questions about past software

There are some simple questions that may have simple answers. The simplest questions, to be blunt, have answers that aren't held by me but rather by other people involved in the various projects.

But I suspect the most interesting questions to this community are the more complex or difficult questions that I may be helpful in answering. I think a discussion about those questions deserves a proper forum so that a true back-and-forth interaction is possible.

I'd like to recommend a group skype or google hangout. I can probably enlist someone from the PR or Marketing team here at the studio to host/moderate such a thing if this community can figure out a method amongst itself to agree on which four or five people should participate with me. It's likely that someone credible with this community (TerminX?) will have to volunteer to be a coordinator between us and this forum in organizing logistics.

Thoughts?

I'll check back again tomorrow to see what begins to formulate.

Hail to the King,

- Randy

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options