• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem

User is offline   Randy Pitchford 

• Gearbox CEO

Hi,

I just registered an account on Duke4.net after receiving a nice e-mail from someone who apparently is a member of this forum.

The author was respectful and sincere and was attempting to motivate me, in a positive way, to engage with this community.

My time tends to be pulled in a lot of different directions and it's generally difficult for me to find the time to engage on any forums, so please do not take it as a sign of disrespect if I do not visit often or post much.

That said, the user who contacted me has successfully compelled me to interact. I'm now curious to discover if there is any positive value to be had through an interaction with members of this forum. I confess that I am skeptical, but am willing to give it a shot.

Given my schedule, I'm not sure that trying to go back and forth via this forum is the best way to create the greatest amount of interaction in the time I can commit. I'm thinking, perhaps, some kind of live-text-chat or even a video chat with some folks you guys choose to represent this community in something along the lines of a google hangout could be an interesting way to communicate. I am open to other ideas, but time is my most limiting factor, so we'll have to figure out how to respect that so I do not fail in my responsibilities and duties to all the talented people who's livelihoods depend upon my attentions.

I'll check back maybe later this evening and certainly tomorrow to check this thread and decide how to engage further based on what I find.

Best regards,

-Randy

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

Hi loov, welcome to the forums and thanks for posting! :(

A video chat would be nice!

Also, as a lawyer I understand why you might never want to do this, but it would be really cool if you could release the 2001/2002 builds of DNF with the editor and let the fans piece it together using a limited license. It wouldn't be a profitable thing to do in and of itself, but it'd be really, really good PR move. And it'd make Duke a household name again, which would be good for the next iteration of the game that you develop/release.

Sincerely,

This Guy

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I may not be your biggest fan Randy, but even I have to commend you for willing to try and open up a communication with the Duke fanbase, especially after what we saw you say on Twitter.
So props to you on that. :(

If you're here to find out what direction to take Duke Nukem in then you're going to get a lot of great feedback, however you most likely are going to get to some really harsh criticism too, but I'd advise to take that criticism to heart because despite everything, we all just want Duke to strive again.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 12 May 2017 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, I have to say, that's a lot further than most would dare to go.

I've nothing else to say really, so good luck.

Unfortunately, I do foresee this thread ending with copious amounts of nagging regarding certain subjects...

User is offline   Green 

Welcome to Duke4.net!

Yatta, on 12 May 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

Also, as a lawyer I understand why you might never want to do this, but it would be really cool if you could release the 2001/2002 builds of DNF with the editor and let the fans piece it together using a limited license. It wouldn't be a profitable thing to do in and of itself, but it'd be really, really good PR move. And it'd make Duke a household name again, which would be good for the next iteration of the game that you develop/release.

If it is at all in the realm of possibility I fully support this idea. A community driven project such as this would be absolutely fantastic for a multitude of reasons.

User is offline   stumppy84 

Hey Randy!
Thanks for taking the time to talk to us! I think that you will see that we do want the best for the franchise. Also, as Yatta stated, the old DNF builds would be awesome. But we all relize the legal difficulty in that.

Thanks for WT and getting the band back together. I also enjoyed the DNF that we got!

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Hi Randy. Welcome to our forums. Up front, the first thing you might notice is that we don't tend to censor anything, unless we explicitly get a complaint about it, so we let people have and express whatever opinion they want. We understand that this isn't how most forums are run nowadays, but that's the way we like to do things. We don't even delete insults hurled at ourselves. That being the case, you've been fair game for years and you're going to find a lot of people here who are upset with you for various reasons. A lot of negative opinions, some without merit but some expressing valid points. Let's change that--with you owning Duke and us being the largest and oldest Duke fan site and forum around, there's no reason everyone can't see eye to eye. Everyone here is more or less a mega fan who wants to see Duke done properly.

I had a really good time meeting up and visiting the office for the day last year. Let's do it again sometime! I know we've had our disagreements, but Gearbox has been very good to me overall and I'd like to continue that relationship.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

This community is small, loud, and proud; if this was given to the right people here, Randy, I see only positive things coming from this ^^^

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 12 May 2017 - 08:14 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I think if any creative freedom with the 2011 release of Duke Nukem Forever could be granted, it would be appreciated. If there are tools for the game that could be released for the fans to play around with, I think it would be a great thing to do, and would bring some positivity.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm flabbergasted and grateful that you've decided to come over to this little corner of the internet! You certainly have my respect for that considering the negativity that's been thrown your way. I have gone back and forth on my opinions of Gearbox for years because I desperately want to see the best for Duke and give you and your team the benefit of a doubt whenever I can to that end. A live video chat/hangout is an incredible gesture and if you're really willing to try to figure something like that out then I'm definitely willing to put aside any initial negative feelings we may have and approach the issue with mutual respect. I hope we can maintain the good vibes here.

Seriously, just reaching out to us like this means a heck of a lot already all on its own. I don't think I ever expected anything like this to happen, but now that it has my positivity level has spiked, for whatever that's worth. Thanks for just showing up however this turns out. :(

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

as a lawyer I understand why you might never want to do this, but it would be really cool if you could release the 2001/2002 builds of DNF with the editor and let the fans piece it together using a limited license. It wouldn't be a profitable thing to do in and of itself, but it'd be really, really good PR move. And it'd make Duke a household name again, which would be good for the next iteration of the game that you develop/release.

This would be awesome :( Imagine what could be done!

NUKEMDAVE, on 12 May 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

I think if any creative freedom with the 2011 release of Duke Nukem Forever could be granted, it would be appreciated. If there are tools for the game that could be released for the fans to play around with, I think it would be a great thing to do, and would bring some positivity.

This would be good also. Jace Hall show build had the editor shown twice working..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr3XGWw1zUw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPq4B7CNV5E

This post has been edited by HiPolyBash: 12 May 2017 - 08:36 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, much of the disdain has come from just us not having any new toys to play with for Duke. All the modern source ports and releases of Duke3D are great, but we've always wanting something a little more modern and versatile to fool around in. Something legal in that area would be ideal and would satiate MANY people here. This modding community wants Duke to thrive in the 21st century.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

How pissed would you guys be if you found out it was just me with a fake account?

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Robman, on 12 May 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

How pissed would you guys be if you found out it was just me with a fake account?

It's already confirmed that this is Randy, so kindly fuck off.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

To Randy: The fact that you've decided to post here speaks volumes, which I'm glad for.

Yes, this place is quite unfiltered, which is overwhelming for some, but it's not actually a bad place once you find where you can best contribute. Also, keeping cool in the face of adversity and criticism goes a long way here, people respect it.

I know people have been incredibly harsh on World Tour, sometimes to the point of unfairness, but keep in mind it comes from a place of passion. If you look past all of the dickish things said, and let it roll off your back, you can see some good points within. If you'd like to sit down and have a civil discussion with the community about what could be done to improve the situation with it, that'd be great. The community here is also willing to give a hand if you let them, much like the case was with Megaton.

A discussion group wouldn't be a bad idea.

This post has been edited by Striker: 13 May 2017 - 01:23 AM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I'm sure Randy knows how to deal with people, quit licking his bumhole.

It's cool hearing from somebody who worked on Shadow Warrior though :(
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
*edit: Minus 5!? Was it the bumhole licking or the Shadow Warrior that made this post so distasteful? I gotta know.

This post has been edited by Robman: 12 May 2017 - 11:51 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Robman, on 12 May 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

I considered that, but I figured the risk of looking like a gullible idiot would be completely worth it and I could live with the shame if it was fake.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Alright, let's keep the thread relevant and on track moving forward.

Hi Randy, as others have said, it's a big show of faith dipping your toe into the community, so thanks for that. We really appreciate the effort.

I'm one of the people who has not yet bought World Tour despite being a massive Duke fan and prominent mapper. This is because there are a few isolated areas where some polish would be useful, the biggest by far being the final boss fight. The flaming cycloid emperor is ineffective to the point of being considered broken. If this could be fixed (either by greatly increasing the range of his attack, or making him move to be within range, the former probably being easiest), then I'd be happy to purchase the game. I imagine others are in a similar boat.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Things I want:

- Jon St. John old school voice performance. More like this less like this. World Tour and Bulletstorm especially he is sounding less badass

- 2001-2002 era build with editor

- History features like 3D Realms were working on. Coverage of old builds, development behind the scenes style stuff

- Zero Hour and Time To Kill PC releases, or even some sort of collection since Duke Nukem 1/2/Manhattan Project are not available for purchase anymore

- If Gearbox are busy with Brothers in Arms and Borderlands maybe let Slipgate Studios or Voidpoint do a Duke game even if only a remake like Zero Hour or 3D or just a smaller scale game

- Classic style Duke back! In Forever he looks weird...I guess his look goes with his change of attitude. Miss bad-ass ultimate alien ass-kicker Duke. Now he is more like a comedian. Gone from 80s and 90s inspired action hero to straight up parody. To expand on this I think Duke Forever and subsequent games have focused on what were only small parts of Duke Nukem 3D. Strippers and comedy have gone from small touches to being the main focus. I think maybe George Broussard as a consultant or historical adviser could help as he did recently say Forever and everything after has been the only Duke projects he did not supervise, write and direct Jons lines in.

Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Not a big fan of yours Randy. My opinion is that you're greedy and look down on the little guy. Justified or not, that is my opinion - based quite a bit on how TerminX and the HTTK situation was handled. Even if what you did was within legal rights, it doesn't mean it was the right decision.
I may have preconceived notions about you, but, I'm still willing to listen to what you have to say.
Take that as you wish, considering that it's coming from a nobody with absolutely no importance to anything other than being a fan of the Duke franchise.

I also don't own World Tour. My finances are pretty limited due to some life choices and events. $20 (us) is a lot for me to spend on a single episode that has been reported to have quality issues ranging from sound, to sluggish movement & low fps, to actual disappointing gameplay (e.g. the final boss lacking firepower).

What I would like to see -
release the 3 major expansions (nuclear winter, D.C., Caribbean) for the WT at a reasonable price. Don't gouge the customer just because you can. A lot of us already own them two or three times over, we're just looking for the convenience of having an easy to use and compatible port.

Fix the issues and bugs with WT

Do something like take the beta material from the original Duke3D game, or come up with some fresh assets - make a new official duke3d-wt expansion

If you're going to make a Duke Nukem 5, for god's sake, learn from past mistakes - don't take someone's half-baked project and try to finish it, and don't outsource it to incompetent asshats.

This post has been edited by Forge: 12 May 2017 - 11:05 PM

User is offline   NNC 

Hello Randy!

I'm glad you registered here, hopefully this means the start of a new era in terms of communication between the developers and the community.

While I'm not a fan of Duke Nukem Forever, I'm glad you guys created World Tour, especially the new episode, which got very positive reviews from the community. It was just those other little things that were went wrong (like the lack of mod support and the 3 expansion packs), but on the long run, these shenanigans will be forgotten, and the good moments stay.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 12 May 2017 - 10:59 PM

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

I'm sorry for ever doubting you or saying disrespectful things about you on this forum, Randy. It took me awhile to realize you're actually a really great person.

I have always wished to see and learn more behind the story of Duke Nukem Forever. Its long development history is incredibly fascinating and Charlie Wiederhold shared some really amazing stories of its development.

Members of the Duke4.net community made this great DNF museum website located at: http://duke4ever.altervista.org/

I remember Frederik Schreiber wanted to provide a sort of museum of the history behind the development of 3D Realms games on the 3DR website, unfortunately it never really fully came to be.

Also wanted to mention I really appreciated the insane work you must have went through to make Episode 5 from Duke 3D: World Tour a reality -- it truly is a one of a kind reunion for video games and I loved the episode. Would a Nintendo Switch version of Duke 3D World Tour be feasible? I would love that!

Glad to have you here!

This post has been edited by Shaq Fu: 15 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Randy clearly says he wants to talk, but not by reading and posting tons of forum posts, and instead of suggesting a solution, half of you jump on the situation to make a list of "what I want" posts.

Great job guys.

Anyway maybe you should set up a livestream, but if this thread is any clue, everyone will be there clugging the chat with their lists of demands, so it might be hard to have any kind of construstive discussion. Good luck, and sorry for the skepticism.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 13 May 2017 - 01:17 AM

User is offline   NNC 

While I agree with Methy about the "what I want" posts, I still have one wish:

Pls, try to convince Blum and Levelord to sign up here as well.

User is offline   MetHy 

Sorry for the re-post but I totally missed the part where Randy says the discussion will be with a few selected people from the forum.

It makes sense but, how does that work? Who will it be and can they record the process?

User is offline   Player Lin 

That's a big surprise...and that's a good start. :(

I don't know what should I say/ask or something but again, welcome to here and try to listen this small Duke community, as a hardcore Duke fan, I'm happy about this.

But I still not be convinced yet. :(

User is offline   Engel220 

Ours is not a massive community with the power to move mountains, Randy, but what we lack in numbers we make up for with years and years of passion and dedication to Duke and all things related to him. I won't pretend to act like I'm a big fan of yours, but I'm happy to sideline my criticisms of you for now in order to focus on Duke Nukem and to add my two pence in where possible.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 13 May 2017 - 04:27 AM

User is offline   Shaq Fu 

MetHy, on 13 May 2017 - 01:16 AM, said:

instead of suggesting a solution, half of you jump on the situation to make a list of "what I want" posts.

Great job guys.

Please do not act condescending about this. It can be difficult to contain our excitement of seeing the REAL Randy Pitchford communicate with the fans here. I'm sure he's cool with it and understands as long as we don't go overboard or nag him.
Remember, much like the fans, he wishes the best for the franchise. With the right minds and good communication, we can all work towards greatness for the brand.

This post has been edited by Shaq Fu: 13 May 2017 - 05:11 AM

HiPolyBash, on 12 May 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

- Zero Hour and Time To Kill PC releases, or even some sort of collection since Duke Nukem 1/2/Manhattan Project are not available for purchase anymore

Don't forget the Land of the Babes PC release.

Anyways. Welcome aboard to the duke4.net forums Randy!

Now if Scott Miller and George Broussard could join the duke4.net forums...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

MetHy, on 13 May 2017 - 01:16 AM, said:

Randy clearly says he wants to talk, but not by reading and posting tons of forum posts, and instead of suggesting a solution, half of you jump on the situation to make a list of "what I want" posts.

Some people went into more detail than others. I thought a quick comment about a relatively blatant flaw that would take as little as a few minutes of code tweaking to fix was appropriate. After all, the boss is the final (and hence important) impression of the product. I mean, if people aren't buying Gearbox products for any reason, Gearbox would want to be aware of those reasons for future reference.

But you've got a point, Randy doesn't have the time to sift though a long thread. Ideally the small group to be in contact would collect and distill a few of these suggestions. The obvious choice would be those already in some kind of contact and in a leadership-like position such as Terminx, Hendricks, Yatta etc. That doesn't mean this isn't a good thread to deposit ideas for discussion, unless there can be a separate dedicated thread for that. Of course we don't know about the extent or longevity of the proposed engagement at the moment so we shouldn't jump the gun, rather we'll have to see what Randy decides and says based on his feedback of this thread.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 13 May 2017 - 06:08 AM

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options