• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beta Testing Thread for version 2.00

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 24 March 2017 - 09:38 PM, said:

The force lighting - works fine
when crouching - it fires from hands - when in 'death throws' it fires from over the player's head. Don't know if you can do anything about it - it just looks odd is all.

What I can do about it is deplete the meter to zero when you get downed. It wasn't my intention to allow force lightning in that situation, I just forgot about it. EDIT: On second thought, I'll just put the meter back in charging mode, so you will have to charge it back up to the top again before using it.

Adjust where the enemies projectiles/bolts are emanating from? They're shooting the player through the portable force barrier and blocking transparent walls again (force walls, windows, etc).

That's odd that it got worse with this update, it should have gotten better. I'll look into it.

Got the emperor while choking out some enemy. Couldn't hear a thing he said because of the heavy combat going on - no big deal on that. Just letting you know it works and it didn't interfere with what was going on, or block the view of anything.

Yeah, I have had a hard time getting that right. I pumped up the volume on the sound sample. Not good enough. Then I made the game stopallsounds when the voice starts -- not good enough because other sounds just start playing right after. Then I made the music stop for the duration of the voice and start again when it ends. Still not good enough because it only addresses the musical interference, not the sounds. The good news is that the emperor only has 5 lines and they will cycle, so eventually you will get to hear what he is saying. Maybe.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 24 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 March 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

Yeah, I have had a hard time getting that right. I pumped up the volume on the sound sample. Not good enough. Then I made the game stopallsounds when the voice starts -- not good enough because other sounds just start playing right after. Then I made the music stop for the duration of the voice and start again when it ends. Still not good enough because it only addresses the musical interference, not the sounds. The good news is that the emperor only has 5 lines and they will cycle, so eventually you will get to hear what he is saying. Maybe.

I can hear it fine when I don't have half a dozen enemy actively trying to kill me

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 25 March 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

I can hear it fine when I don't have half a dozen enemy actively trying to kill me

I have an idea for using EVENT_SOUND to make all other sounds fuck off for the duration of the emperor's speeches. I'll try when I get home.

User is offline   Forge 

seems like the sith can't block or defend against force lightning - makes for pretty easy kills.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 25 March 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

seems like the sith can't block or defend against force lightning - makes for pretty easy kills.

Hmm, you are right. He does his blocking animation but continues to take damage anyway. I will fix that.

User is offline   Forge 

Finished episode 6.
Started episode 4 - tested the perk earned from 6 - seems to work fine. Only used it once so far.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 26 March 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

Finished episode 6.
Started episode 4 - tested the perk earned from 6 - seems to work fine. Only used it once so far.

Cool. You might want to wait before going any farther into episode 4. I have some new stuff to upload, some of it pertains to that episode.

• Duke Plus Developer

New in this update:

• Ending cutscene for final episode
  • Opening text crawls closer to movie style
  • Darth Burger graphics (thanks to Fantinaikos)
  • Added ATPTs to some levels, with pathing for them so they don't get stuck
  • Other sounds cut out when emperor speaks, so you can actually hear him
  • probably other bug fixes that I don't even rememer at the moment

User is offline   Forge 

episode 4 shop-n-bag
there's a button on the ceiling the player has to shoot at through a gate (after using the yellow card)
it's probably going to be a rare instance -but the player can get stuck if for some reason they haven't:
- acquired the shotgun & have ammo for it
- have ammo for the repeater (weapon slot #4)
- have ammo for the concussion rifle (& use alt-fire for the beam - the only beam that can hit a ceiling switch)

Primary beam weapons (e.g. rifle, pistols, bowcaster) can't hit ceiling switches

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 28 March 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

Primary beam weapons (e.g. rifle, pistols, bowcaster) can't hit ceiling switches

Thanks for the bug report. I just fixed this on my end. It might take an extra shot or two but you can definitely hit ceiling/floor switches now.

• Duke Plus Developer

I was using lightning on some of the tougher enemies and found it to be difficult going. The DPS is pretty low and you have to maintain line of sight so you end up getting hit a lot. I'm going to add some life leach to the lightning to make it more viable. When you have lightning I want it to feel like a nice bonus.

User is offline   Forge 

across the board, or are you going to nerf the leach per difficulty level?

User is offline   Forge 

game glitch?
first time i've ever seen this - the tie fighters (all of them) are flying inside the ship in the Derelict map, instead of around the outside

Attached File  duke0002.png (473.65K)
Number of downloads: 7

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 29 March 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

game glitch?
first time i've ever seen this - the tie fighters (all of them) are flying inside the ship in the Derelict map, instead of around the outside

Attachment duke0002.png

It's definitely not the intended behavior. To be honest I don't remember whether I have ever loaded up that map in this mod before. I'll check it out when I get home. EDIT: They are programmed to latch on to the path of locators and follow it. My understanding is that there should not be more than one path of locators in each map.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 29 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

User is offline   Forge 

maybe a one time fluke.
It didn't do this during the 1.0 version of the mod, and I don't imagine much has changed with how tie fighters are supposed to behave since then.
i'll pay more attention to further encounters with tie fighters and make sure they haven't lost their coded behavior and gotten loose somehow.

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 29 March 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

maybe a one time fluke.

I hope it's not an occasional fluke, that would make it very hard to fix!

EDIT: It doesn't happen when I load the derelict map. My only theory is that locator data from a previous level is still in memory and it is using that instead --- so the route they were following when it glitched may actually be the one from Duke Burger. This seems possible because I am using per-actor gamevars in a peculiar way to store the sprite IDs of the locators. I will add some safety code..

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 29 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

User is offline   Forge 

I tried loading that map up from the menu and playing it by itself - the tie fighters acted normal
Tried loading into the episode a couple maps before it and playing all the way up to it - when I reached Derelict, the tie fighters acted normal.

The only thing that occurs to me that it might be is some save-game quirk.

If you think it's worth the time, I suppose I could delete all my progress & saves & start a new episode 4 campaign to see if it decides to repeat the oddity.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 29 March 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

I tried loading that map up from the menu and playing it by itself - the tie fighters acted normal
Tried loading into the episode a couple maps before it and playing all the way up to it - when I reached Derelict, the tie fighters acted normal.

The only thing that occurs to me that it might be is some save-game quirk.

If you think it's worth the time, I suppose I could delete all my progress & saves & start a new episode 4 campaign to see if it decides to repeat the oddity.

Thanks for checking that, but I don't want to wast any more of your time on it. I added some code that should fix it if it was a failure to reset the nodes on my end. If not, then there's nothing I can do about it other than writing a new system, which isn't worth the effort at this time.

User is offline   Forge 

I'm having issue with the boss at the end of episode 4 floating into the ceiling and disappearing - so I can't kill it and finish the episode.

if you look above the closest bossk on the left - you can see its leg poking out of the ceiling
Attached File  duke0000.png (666.37K)
Number of downloads: 9

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Issue #2
I managed to kill the boss
Killing the boss does not finish the episode & give the perk - it advances the player to the next level (E4L11, Area 51 - secret level) & then back to Postal when that's finished.

• Duke Plus Developer

I'll fix it. The boss will be different and will end the episode.

• Duke Plus Developer

Here is some updated code:

http://s000.tinyuplo...329201917675198

This is only for beta testers -- if you do not have the latest version I gave them, it will not work.

Contains updated GAME.CON and DEFS.CON

• different boss at end of ep 4 which works better under water and will end the game
  • safer locator reset code which may prevent (rare?) glitch of tie fighters following wrong paths
  • force lightning has some life leech, making it more viable

User is offline   Forge 

one of the few things that annoys me is that dead droidekas can't be gibbed or blown up by shooting them enough times (like pretty much all the other dead enemies).
It sucks when you kill one in a corridor or doorway then can't shoot the enemies behind it because the body is blocking all the players beam weapon shots.

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

All the major bugs seem to have already been reported and corrected in the meantime, this is what it seems remained:

Probe droids leave blood spatter on the walls, some reminiscences of octobrain code must be remained. Sporadic event of "crispy goresplosion" instead of explosion when falls too.

I've randomly encontered an AT-PT inside buildings, some wasn't even an open area at all. It has happened quite rarely though, Perhaps the latest beta updates could have fixed this.

The rest aren't real problems, more gameplay and aesthetic tips.

When Zero gravity trooper is closer (not sure if it happens even when in the distance), for some reason it awaits or even stop to shot. That is intentional to simulate the act of recalibrate the direction or cool down of his weapon before fire again and give the player a chance to fight back at short range?

I see no oxygen meter or percentage for the scuba to understand how much is left, it is because the airtank is infinite? I have never been in water long enough to check.

The mod seems not generate any .cfg at the start, how it memorize the unlocked perks at the end of the episodes without? Maybe it remains in the saves but it does not seem do an auto-save or something since at the end it simply return to the main menu.

As unlocked, the classic shotgun should appear together with all selectable weapons in the red left window. Possibly it should have also it's own ammo that start spawn around somehow only when you took the ability.

Once DL-44 is acquired, there is not much strategic motive to back to the start gun despite the charged shots. That's a pity because one of the best feature of this mod is encourage to use every single weapon at the right moment (even in vanilla Duke the pistol still useful in various occasions). Akimbo bryar pistol could revive the interest of the player for this gun and justify the ludrucous amount dropped by commanders and officers instead of using them as an ammo recharge only.

Jedi are also famous (more in the prequels) for their agility so on idea for a new perk to unlock could be double/higher jumps without fall damage (or even prevent any kind of fall damage). Although I'm not very convinced to add this because like the ability in Attrition there is the risk of reach an area sooner than you should.

User is offline   Forge 

the air tank is not infinite, but I don't know how to tell how much is left either
the perks are saved in a line at the end of eduke32.cfg [gamevars] savedperks = ####

the bryar pistol is pretty much useless after acquiring the dl-44. I probably wouldn't use it even if there was an akimbo perk. I do see your point of trying to make it a more used weapon though.

you can fall with no damage - just use the already given shrink ability before you leap or hit bottom.

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 March 2017 - 08:07 AM

the perks are saved in a line at the end of eduke32.cfg [gamevars] savedperks = ####

That is pretty equivocal, "Eduke32.cfg" looks more something generated by the clean game than the mod. There is real possibility that it can be overwritten by another one or even vanilla? I'll backup for now.

you can fall with no damage - just use the already given shrink ability before you leap or hit bottom.

It can work, but I doubt that it was intended also for this.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 30 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

User is offline   Forge 

Killing the episode 4 boss acts 'quirky'.
Normally the end sequence pops up, the player holds the fire button down, the nuke symbol spins, the episode ends, the perk message pops up.
The end of episode 4, the nuke symbol keeps getting 'stuck' and it stops spinning. Keep pressing the fire button, eventually it stops its spinning/stop sequences. Then the screen just sits there on the dead boss for about half a minute before finally giving the perk screen - then it goes through the whole normal 3drealms end of game screens.

Technically, all I did was start a new game & load E4L10 to check out the fixed boss - I didn't play through the whole episode. (but I don't see how that would make a difference)

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 30 March 2017 - 06:47 AM, said:

one of the few things that annoys me is that dead droidekas can't be gibbed or blown up by shooting them enough times (like pretty much all the other dead enemies).
It sucks when you kill one in a corridor or doorway then can't shoot the enemies behind it because the body is blocking all the players beam weapon shots.

Yeah I'll fix that.

View PostFantinaikos, on 30 March 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

Probe droids leave blood spatter on the walls, some reminiscences of octobrain code must be remained. Sporadic event of "crispy goresplosion" instead of explosion when falls too.

I'll try to eliminate the blood splatters, too. And I'm sure you are correct about that being a remnant of the octabrain behavior.

I've randomly encontered an AT-PT inside buildings, some wasn't even an open area at all. It has happened quite rarely though, Perhaps the latest beta updates could have fixed this.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen any more.

I see no oxygen meter or percentage for the scuba to understand how much is left, it is because the airtank is infinite? I have never been in water long enough to check.

There are some bugs with the oxygen tank. It has to do with the portable barrier self-shrinker sharing an inventory slot with it. I will fix.

As unlocked, the classic shotgun should appear together with all selectable weapons in the red left window.

Yeah. I'm not doing separate ammo, though. I thought about it.

Once DL-44 is acquired, there is not much strategic motive to back to the start gun despite the charged shots. That's a pity because one of the best feature of this mod is encourage to use every single weapon at the right moment (even in vanilla Duke the pistol still useful in various occasions). Akimbo bryar pistol could revive the interest of the player for this gun and justify the ludrucous amount dropped by commanders and officers instead of using them as an ammo recharge only.

Jedi are also famous (more in the prequels) for their agility so on idea for a new perk to unlock could be double/higher jumps without fall damage (or even prevent any kind of fall damage). Although I'm not very convinced to add this because like the ability in Attrition there is the risk of reach an area sooner than you should.

The charged shot on the bryar does more damage than the dl-44 shots. This is enough to make it useful. Definitely a niche weapon, though. I find it to be the easiest way to kill sith: charge up a shot, then run right up to his face and release when he starts to swing his saber. The shot knocks him back so he doesn't even hit you. Repeat a few times and he's dead.

On fall damage: Duke is not a Jedi, and he has had zero proper training. He's an amateur with some natural latent ability who uses a combination of dark and light powers.

View PostForge, on 30 March 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

Killing the episode 4 boss acts 'quirky'.

I will definitely fix this.

• Duke Plus Developer

Another little update (add to latest beta): http://s000.tinyuplo...250789901475855

Changes:

• episode 4 ending should be fixed now (but you have to wait for body to hit the floor before ending sequence starts)
  • probes should no longer leave blood splats on walls if you hit them with shotgun
  • new menu background
  • droideka bodies can now be destoyed using any weapon

Other stuff will have to wait a bit longer.

User is offline   Forge 

The tie fighters were fine in area 51 this time, but were still inside the ship in derelict

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options