• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem's Bulletstorm Tour  "Randy hinted at something for December 1st"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So we're all in agreement that the price is a good $20+ or so too high?

Let's assume that we're representative of the general gaming community. Did Gearbox do any marketing research? Hold any focus groups? Did they do the math and really think that there'd be so many people tripping over themselves to buy the game at its current price so as to make a higher profit then potentially a lot more people buying it at low price? I just don't understand their reasoning. If you subscribe to the argument that low-cost impulse buys are what make the highest profit these days, then this is about as far away from that as you can get.

Let's not forget that it's a re-release, hence there's very little demand. Now I may have only done economics as one small component of one of my 30+ courses in engineering (and I'm pretty sure I failed that part of the exam - the lecturer kept contradicting himself), but given how surprisingly accurate I was about WT and it's sales, I can't help but feel I've got more common sense than whatever economists are working at GB. I'm sure they'll easily make their money back on their investment, only because they probably put so little resources into it in the first place. Although, the one thing this does have over WT is that the original was under GFWL which would have been a put-off for some people initially, not to mention outright prevented people buying the game cheaply later on. Not to mention it's only been released once already :mellow:

Duke's up to 4 now right? I'm talking 1. Original 1996, 2. GOG.com 3. Megaton 4. World Tour. That's if you don't count things like Atomic edition as another release, or the East meets West collection.
Let's not forget the console ports: 5. Playstation 6. Nintento. 7. Sega Saturn 8. iOS 9. Megaton on playstation 10. Xbox Live Arcade

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Plus the instances where the original game was literally given away for free.

Just watched the trailer. Duke doesn't sound like himself :mellow:

Also, I know this is Duke, but I think dropping f-bombs are a cheap way to be "funny" and "mature".

• Judge Mental

View PostPikaCommando, on 02 December 2016 - 03:29 AM, said:

Just watched the trailer. Duke doesn't sound like himself :mellow:

Also, I know this is Duke, but I think dropping f-bombs are a cheap way to be "funny" and "mature".

That's Bulletstorm for ya.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

The original Bulletstorm was horribly censored in Germany. It's totally unclear right now if it will even be launched there since it's identical to the original regarding violence. On the other hand, there have been some improvements regarding game censorship in Germany in general. Doom for example was released completely uncut this year.

Anyway, even if it's going to happen, I'm not paying the full price for a re-release. Even less if they try to bait me with a pre-order Duke that clearly sounds out-of-character and was only put into the game for a single reason: So that Gearbox can cannibalize the Duke franchise to make more people buy an overpriced title.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 December 2016 - 03:36 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Despite the very poor execution, I think it's a decent idea on Gearbox's part to associate Duke with a game like Bullet Storm. Say what you will about BS, but as a game you have to give the developers credit for coming up with so many creative ways to kill enemies and spice up combat, along with the high interactivity with the environment for that purpose. They also had several distinct and interesting weapons, which really set itself apart from all the other FPS games of the era which were typically military shooters comprising of "generic automatic weapon X".

I've only played the demo, but I've heard the level design is somewhat simple, and the game kind of turns into a grind towards the end. Still, this is the kind of creativity and experimentation in combat that Duke needs to become big again.I.e it's the notion of creativity and inventiveness behind Bullet Storm that could provide a glimmer of some vague hope for the future, rather than the game itself. Unfortunately it's a product of its time (the height of the COD craze), so the broad formula needs a lot of changes.
On the flip side I hope Gearbox doesn't adopt the tone of BS for future Duke games...

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Some tips for Gearbox for the next new Duke games:
  • Make a 4k textures for DNF and sell it for 60$;
  • Use Duke Nukem model from DN 3D in other IPs they have;
  • Make horrible HD textures for DN 3D and sell it as a separate "remaster";
  • Mix assets from all Duke games and make a few new games about Duke;
  • The unused stuff from mixed assets cut into parts and sell as DLC.

User is offline   MetHy 

So hmm, what SP content does Full Clip Edition has over the original Bulletstorm available on Steam? It says it has all the DLC made before + exclusive new content, but doesn't say what exactly, and Steam shows no DLC at all for the original game.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 02 December 2016 - 04:33 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Why does everything in the teaser look like it was made in the DNF engine?

User is offline   Dacoolguy 

View PostDacoolguy, on 01 December 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

It is always amazing to witness the power of time and just how weak the collective memory truly is.
To think that anybody is even remotely excited by what randy pitchford had to say, after being shown black on white in multiple games just how big of a liar and a con artist he truly is, is very sad.
A person like him does not even deserve to be left in one piece when met face to face, let alone have him say things and any of us be naive enough to look in his mouth.

I hate to quote myself but it feels like it should be done in this particular case.
I feel sad for those that actually thought anything good will come out of this announcement, knowing exactly just how low the bar has been pushed at gearbox.
Bulletstorm is a meh game, for some a funny Duke Clone, for others it's mostly shit.
Having Duke Nukem Forever's model inside the game just because the game itself was always called a duke nukem ripoff, is both hilarious and sad at the same time.

Also, it looks like the game is going to be censored because they obviously forgot to add the blood particles coming out of Duke's eyebrows after his glasses stabbed his face as it can be clearly seen in that screenshot.
Posted ImagePosted Image

I just don't understand why they keep on having Randy Pitchford coming on stage all the time if they know they are going to keep on making these shitty announcements that are clearly cheap money grabs that almost everybody can notice from a mile away.
It's one of two things.
Either they are so out of contact with the real world that they really think what they are announcing is what people really want, or Randy Pitchford is obsessed with the spotlight and he will do anything just to get on tv again.

I swear that any shitty gearbox announcement would be much less shitty if Randy would just stop being the one that tells us the news.
That guy is such a pathological liar and a thief in my eyes that I would even doubt the grass is green and the sky is blue if he would be the one claiming it.

This post has been edited by Dacoolguy: 02 December 2016 - 05:38 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

I......just speechless again about this new remastered game and Duke crossover with lot of laziness...losing my hope even more... :angry:

Since I'm never played and not interest on Bulletstorm so I don't know, and the price just so high for me so sorry, Gearbox Shovelware, try harder please. :)

View PostDacoolguy, on 02 December 2016 - 05:25 AM, said:

Also, it looks like the game is going to be censored because they obviously forgot to add the blood particles coming out of Duke's eyebrows after his glasses stabbed his face as it can be clearly seen in that screenshot.
Posted ImagePosted Image

:mellow: I always love such stupid models/meshes clipping disasters(majors or minors both). What a lazy work... :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 02 December 2016 - 05:49 AM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Professional and paid AAA developers, everyone.

• Judge Mental

I mean that hair just says it all. How the fuck do you forget an alpha layer like that?

Bulletstorm is a fine game. I enjoyed it when I played it some years ago. Good fun. The ending was a little on the lame side with the quick-timey boss fight, but it was good shooting action.

I don't really see Duke fitting it, outside of the ass-kicking portion of the game.

On the other hand, Bulletstorm's humor almost seems like the kind of humor Gearbox thinks goes into a Duke game.

User is offline   BoowHow 

Reading all this currently makes me very sad...

View PostBoowHow, on 02 December 2016 - 06:09 AM, said:

Reading all this currently makes me very sad...

It's Gearbox Shovelware, so it's normal, try get used with it... :mellow:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 02 December 2016 - 06:26 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Mulletstorm?

Posted Image

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostSledgehammer, on 02 December 2016 - 06:04 AM, said:

Professional and paid AAA developers, everyone.

What was that about professional AAA devs and how classic spritework compares to modern 3D models or what was it again?

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostHiPolyBash, on 01 December 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

At an appetizing price of only $49.99! :mellow:

Posted Image

Walletstorm

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I just realized something. This is the first time we're getting some decent facial animations on Duke in a AAA game. DNF's was sub par on that one cutscene it was in. And the DNF trailer too.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 December 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

I just realized something. This is the first time we're getting some decent facial animations on Duke in a AAA game. DNF's was sub par on that one cutscene it was in. And the DNF trailer too.

what always got me about the "did you think i was gone forever" trailer line was that it is totally out of sync with Dukes mouth in the Gearbox trailer... but synced properly with his mouth in the 2009 Triptych trailer.

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

What the hell happened with voice acting? Why Duke doesn't sound like Duke anymore? He sounds like Jon himself now.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostKawa, on 02 December 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

What was that about professional AAA devs and how classic spritework compares to modern 3D models or what was it again?

B-b-but this is different! Y-y-you don't understand!

View PostTrikeen, on 02 December 2016 - 07:11 AM, said:

what always got me about the "did you think i was gone forever" trailer line was that it is totally out of sync with Dukes mouth in the Gearbox trailer... but synced properly with his mouth in the 2009 Triptych trailer.

Holy shit, it really is out of sync? I thought there was something wrong with my ears!

Also, how the fuck did Gearbox even screw up taking a clip from trailer and pasting it in another?

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 02 December 2016 - 07:57 AM

View PostJenz/Amaka, on 02 December 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

What the hell happened with voice acting? Why Duke doesn't sound like Duke anymore? He sounds like Jon himself now.

Since JSJ said he didn't want does the old way of Duke voice now(and he did showed he can, he just doesn't want) and Gearbox is fine with that and given freedom for his voice acting so we got that sadly, but I'm fine with that. :)

Maybe Jon will change his mind in one day but I don't so care about that. :mellow:

To bad I don't have the Duke Ip I have a great idea for a Duke Nukem Game it start off with Duke Nukem in the woods in retirement just leaving life General comes to see Duke for alittle talk the screen then fades to black and switches to a world were everything is destroyed Aliens have wipe out most of the Human Race the screen shows a building intact shows the inside of the building it follows an alien into aroom the alien talks to his boss saying we are almost done taking over my lord, His boss turns around showing the evil Version of Duke Nukem, work in process im still planning on what the script is sure is taking awhile

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostDuke Legacy, on 02 December 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

To bad I don't have the Duke Ip I have a great idea for a Duke Nukem Game
#makedukenukemagain

Also, if you're working on a script you might like this complimentary box of assorted punctuation :mellow:

• The Truth is in here

Late Borderlands 2 DLC incoming, I see it already. XD Small hint: It will have "Tour" in its title...

Maybe we can beg Telltale to make a Duke game at least. But since they already turned pretty much any franchise into a QTE adventure series and still haven't arrived at this one... tells you something, I guess.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 December 2016 - 12:36 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 01 December 2016 - 11:37 PM, said:

First thought when I see the announcement: "oh cool I'll pick it up. I've always wanted to play Bulletstorm and this gives me a great chance to (sees price) hahahahahaha NOPE."

Have they learnt nothing from WT? Do they really think republishing an ancient game at double the reasonable price is going to draw buyers in? With WT and now this, it's almost as if Gearbox is actually trying to drive buyers off in order to prove to themselves that it's a dead franchise.

Even worse, they are selling it as a DLC pre-order. So if you actually want to play it, you have to pay $20 for the base game first, then another $42.50 just for Duke content, for a total of $62.50. I was already thinking about picking up the base game before this announcement, so I still may do that, but there's no way I would pay more than $8 to have Duke added in. Also, notice that in the description it doesn't even promise any gameplay additions; for all we know it could just be a new skin with some lines by JSJ.

• The Truth is in here

View PostTrooper Dan, on 02 December 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

[...] So if you actually want to play it, you have to pay $20 for the base game first, then another $42.50 just for Duke content, for a total of $62.50. [...]

Wait... what? Seriously?

Posted Image

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 December 2016 - 01:22 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostNightFright, on 02 December 2016 - 12:32 PM, said:

Maybe we can beg Telltale to make a Duke game at least.

.....how DARE you....

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options