Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem's Bulletstorm Tour - Duke4.net Forums

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem's Bulletstorm Tour  "Randy hinted at something for December 1st"

If enough people requested to Gearbox to change to the 3D Realms model, think they'd change it?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 03 December 2016 - 05:09 AM, said:

I just got an idea. I should start up a game company. Build a kick-ass FPS game with all the bells and whistles, then go to Gearbox Publishing to somehow get Duke in the game like their doing with Bulletstorm.

From a business perspective, why would you do the hard work of making a complete game only to give up some of the returns to another company just to add their character in a superficial manner? At that rate, come up with your own IP.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostMicky C, on 03 December 2016 - 02:01 AM, said:

You mean like how numbers can be divided by two, and prices can be changed? I feel like there's some kind of connection here but I can't quite grasp it...

That and how to sell the same games for bigger prices again and again by adding Duke into them.

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostHendricks266, on 03 December 2016 - 05:35 AM, said:

At that rate, come up with your own IP.
That makes me think, how well could one get away with making a game about a wisecracking 80's action hero pastiche with a semi-rhyming three-syllable name?

I mean of course making your own "good" Duke Nukem game but not actually starring Duke Nukem.

...Rock Sockem? Too on-the-nose?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I doubt an 80's action hero pastiche could gain traction nowadays.

User is offline   Kawa 

That's a shame.

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

View PostHendricks266, on 03 December 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

80's is all the rage. Blood Dragon reigned in a huge trend of 80s themed gaming related media.

User is offline   Soap DX 

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like Duke's head is slightly larger at the top. Making for a wider forehead. At least compared to it's DNF counterpart.

Surprised they didn't tweak the model a bit more, to make it a slight departure of DNF, you know, to try and wash off some of those bad memories of DNF, for the mainstream average joe DNF was a shit game (I know for many of you also) so to have the same model might just make people's memory think of that.
But by tweaking it a bit, dumb people would automatically think, ah! he's different. Not that he would have to be.

Also if you make a new Duke game, you're half way to a even slightly different model, making it more transitional.

But I guess their sticking to this one, for now and maybe any other renditions.

Damn! Call me disappointed! I was hoping for a Duke 5 announcement. This isn't quite what we wanted, Gearbox! :mellow:

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It'd do just fine for that audience.

If you expect it to be Call of Duty or Halo, though, you're going to be disappointed.

I keep saying it, but I think the best thing Duke Nukem could do as a franchise is to EMBRACE it's vintage nature. Both from the gameplay standpoint, but also from the narrative side.

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

Am I the only guy who likes the Gearbox Duke model?

The 3DR one is great, and it looks more like classic Duke, but the Gearbox one looks more polished if you ask me. He looks a little bit too young, I admit, but the model seems "cleaner" if that makes sense.

Also - Duke is rich, so it would make sense if he has a uniform-esque feel and have custom made tank tops.

This post has been edited by Trebor_UK: 03 December 2016 - 08:20 AM

Halo's not that bad, especially the first one. I think I'd like a Duke game like that but without the weapon limits, though DNF already did that for me.

Right now Gearbox could take the franchise into any direction Randy wanted. I don't know what to think about that.

Wait... what about Duke Nukem: "Ain't Fraid of no Ghosts" Tour, Featuring new weapons, levels, and lines just for Duke in Casper, PacMan, and Ghostbusters remasters.
Hehehe... :mellow:

This seems kind of dumb to me... but anyway, is this going to be digital only? MBC said he wants to get BulletStorm and never did, and that this would be ok if it is on disk. We kind of have a rule in this house, with so many games... we will not pay full price for a digital only game. We will just play something else. Especially for a remaster with a sprinkle of once great character in it.

Anyway, I have looked around and I don't see a physical copy anywhere.

CatNapDreams

User is offline   stumppy84 

Like others have said, maybe this is the Toll Gearbox had to pay to get PCF to dev the new Duke title.. if so I'm cool with that. I would rather Flying Wild Hog do it, it also seems that they might get their hands on Duke since they did that survey on who makes a cameo in SW2 DLC or something..

Maybe some of us can send Randy tweets in a nice and constructive way and tell them where they have screwed up and how "that's not Duke". And giving him examples like how they did the doom marine in the new Doom, or maybe try telling Blum Would be a better avenue I think he is on twitter. The character in WT wasn't as douchey, I think that's one of the things they did well along with levels and music. I still think that George had a better grasp on that..

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, can already tell ya that I will skip this, guys. Even if it were available in Germany, I would not buy this for 60 bucks. Rather the original version if it were on sale. And uncut.

I mean, World Tour was already at least on the edge of being overpriced (imho it actually was), but this just takes it way over the top.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

User is offline   Kawa 

Okay guys I came up with an original IP. Here's a quick mockup of the main character:

Posted Image

I'm still partial to "Rock Sockem" to be honest. I also have a female counterpart design, because chicks with guns need representation too:

Posted Image

Can't think of a name for her but other than that she's as hard-ass as Rock and gives new meaning to not having time to bleed.

Nothing about the above is serious... or is it?

View PostHiPolyBash, on 01 December 2016 - 10:35 PM, said:

This guy, what a cuntface.

Then again..
Posted Image

'Counting on it' is Randys code for seeing if its profitable.

That's me 😬

• Judge Mental

View PostKawa, on 03 December 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

Okay guys I came up with an original IP. Here's a quick mockup of the main character:

Posted Image

I'm still partial to "Rock Sockem" to be honest. I also have a female counterpart design, because chicks with guns need representation too:

Posted Image

Can't think of a name for her but other than that she's as hard-ass as Rock and gives new meaning to not having time to bleed.

I've been fooling with the idea of a doing a female inspired version of Duke in the Quake engine. A little Sarah Connor and a little Ronda Rousy.

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 December 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

A little Sarah Connor and a little Ronda Rousy.
Posted Image

User is offline   HulkNukem 

You guys should make a Duke Nukem 1 and 2 inspired 2D platformer.
Take influences from other Apogee sidescrollers like Halloween Harry

I know 2D Sidescrollers are a dime a dozen nowadays, but I'd like to play one the community here would make

• Judge Mental

View PostHulkNukem, on 03 December 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

You guys should make a Duke Nukem 1 and 2 inspired 2D platformer.
Take influences from other Apogee sidescrollers like Halloween Harry

I know 2D Sidescrollers are a dime a dozen nowadays, but I'd like to play one the community here would make

Need to dust off Unity...

User is offline   Steve 64 

View PostKawa, on 03 December 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

should be a coop game as well if you decide it.

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 December 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

Need to dust off Unity...
Eugh, talk about shooting a mosquito with a rocket launcher.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 December 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

I've been fooling with the idea of a doing a female inspired version of Duke in the Quake engine. A little Sarah Connor and a little Ronda Rousy.

We're already doing that on Build.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDuke Legacy, on 03 December 2016 - 01:26 PM, said:

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostDuke Legacy, on 03 December 2016 - 01:26 PM, said:

1-player set of levels
Separate 2-player set of levels with certain areas not accessible without two people; jumping on top of eachother to reach a high ledge, having to hold a lever to keep a door open, the usual.
Could go a bit further with combos, like one player using some liquid weapon that drenches a character and area in gas, and the second player can use a rocket launcher to ignite it all.

I am actually really into the idea of this; I have the framework of a sidescrolling multiplayer game with online through Steamworks nearing completion I'm about to release, it wouldn't be too much more work to rework it into a traditional sidescroller with AI enemies...

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 03 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

User is offline   Kawa 

That's not coop though isn't it?

edit: I meant Realms of Chaos, as far as I watched it.

This post has been edited by Kawa: 03 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I think people are getting way too harsh about this Duke Nukem Bulletstorm announcement. You're all toting it like non-news and a lame gesture. There is one thing that is true, after DNF came out Duke Nukem absolutely IS bad business. And Gearbox (as much as I have disliked them) are doing their best to keep him in the spotlight in any way they can. Personally, I think it's incredible that they took the time and money to do as much as they did for Duke for this Bulletstorm remaster. Their goal is to keep chipping away at the stigma against Duke Nukem since DNF in the public eye. The more they chip away with small gestures the more he can become accepted. It's not the best thing I could have hoped for, but it's definitely more than I expected. This is ALMOST a brand new Duke game. It has Duke and you play an entire campaign as him. I think that's the most we could have expected. And again, it's certainly more than I expected. I'm extremely disappointed they keep using the Douche Nukem look, but whatever. They are trying. This is the most they can do. It's unrealistic after the epic SJW-sized blowback Duke has received in the past 6 years to think that Gearbox would come out with a brand new game already. There's a ton of bad vibes and steel-reinforced stigma to overcome. And I can't see anybody else with Gearbox's reach, influence, size, and resources that would do the same.

Again, I'm no fan of Gearbox of late, but you've got to see both sides.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostHendricks266, on 03 December 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

Totally agree with that. However a decent DLC for Duke Nukem 3D could be a right move. But Gearbox has picked the wrong way of their "development". Voidpoint and co could make a great DLC for Duke with high quality and in short time I believe. I do not think it would be so expencive to hire proffesionals in the Duke's field and I am sure the result would be much better. Look on WT now, it's a disaster, they do not have even 10K players for the game with so loud statements, I do not count the help of free PR: legendary history of DN3D, a fanbase who will buy this game because it's Duke Nukem or because of nostalgia.

EDIT: or because this game is now available on new console generation.

This post has been edited by brullov: 03 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 03 December 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

I think people are getting way too harsh about this Duke Nukem Bulletstorm announcement. You're all toting it like non-news and a lame gesture. There is one thing that is true, after DNF came out Duke Nukem absolutely IS bad business. And Gearbox (as much as I have disliked them) are doing their best to keep him in the spotlight in any way they can. Personally, I think it's incredible that they took the time and money to do as much as they did for Duke for this Bulletstorm remaster. Their goal is to keep chipping away at the stigma against Duke Nukem since DNF in the public eye. The more they chip away with small gestures the more he can become accepted. It's not the best thing I could have hoped for, but it's definitely more than I expected. This is ALMOST a brand new Duke game. It has Duke and you play an entire campaign as him. I think that's the most we could have expected. And again, it's certainly more than I expected. I'm extremely disappointed they keep using the Douche Nukem look, but whatever. They are trying. This is the most they can do. It's unrealistic after the epic SJW-sized blowback Duke has received in the past 6 years to think that Gearbox would come out with a brand new game already. There's a ton of bad vibes and steel-reinforced stigma to overcome. And I can't see anybody else with Gearbox's reach, influence, size, and resources that would do the same.

Again, I'm no fan of Gearbox of late, but you've got to see both sides.

Man, Gearbox can't even do this "Their goal is to keep chipping away at the stigma against Duke Nukem since DNF in the public eye." Just look at the quality of the products we get from the NOT idnie company. Look at this Duke's model, he wants to be free, he wants to die. At least become bald.

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options