Duke4.net Forums: World Tour EDuke32 Compatibility Stopgap - Duke4.net Forums

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Tour EDuke32 Compatibility Stopgap  "My package arrives."

User is online   Phredreeke 

Just wait until he gets Deer Huntin' running in RedNukem ;)

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 30 March 2020 - 12:44 PM

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

I've started playing World Tour at last (Gearbox port has awful mouse aim so I dropped it) and omg, level design is horrible. A LOT of enemies, hordes which force you to play it like it's Serious Sam game. I stopped on Egypt level and I don't have any wish to continue.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

The Egypt level is actually one of the rare highlights in this episode. But it's true, it's nothing super special. Lee's music was the main reason I bought it back then.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 31 March 2020 - 12:15 PM

Hello All

If turns out to be complicated I'll post it on the bug reports & help me thread, but just in case it's something really silly that can be solved in a minute.

With a fresh, untouched, unused install of WT from Steam, the Stopgap, the uncensored health files and EDuke32, EDuke32 finds both WT as it is and WT (Stopgap). I tried the latter ... resulting in tons of errors and warnings (see log file below)! The game appears to play OK.

Additionally on Linux, citing a copy of my Windows WT directory (FTP'd over to the Linux box) and using a self-compiled EDuke32, I get the additional errors listed in the second 'code' block below and 'I'm getting too old for this shit' doesn't play.

Are the warnings normal for the PC version?

And is the lack of the Linux sounds an already known issue, or should I report it as a bug?

EDIT: OK, the linux issue seems to be the hardcoded backslashes in USER.CON.
EDIT: Confirmed, replacing them with forward slashes makes it work. Is there any way EDuke32 could be modified to treat backslash path separators as forward slashes in .CON (and .DEF) code?

Windows log file:
Spoiler

Linux differences:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Martin Howe: 01 April 2020 - 01:52 AM

Spoiler

Phredreeke, on 01 April 2020 - 01:34 AM, said:

Spoiler

Hello Phredreeke, good idea, done.

• The Truth is in here

You can get rid of the warnings regarding already defined sound files in E32WT_CODE.CON easily by placing /* in front of the first line (262) and */ after the last one (716) that is listed in the log. I guess defining the sounds a second time in the custom con is redundant since the defs are already included in World Tour's user.con.

I also had a warning about one of the normalmap defs (151_n.bmp) which was named 0151_n.bmp in my folder, but I might have done that rename by myself for consistency purposes.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 April 2020 - 03:41 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Martin Howe, on 31 March 2020 - 11:45 PM, said:

With a fresh, untouched, unused install of WT from Steam, the Stopgap, the uncensored health files and EDuke32, EDuke32 finds both WT as it is and WT (Stopgap). I tried the latter ... resulting in tons of errors and warnings (see log file below)! The game appears to play OK.

Yes, these are not errors. Maybe I could add an echo statement to the Stopgap to inform the users that the sound warnings are intentional and not a problem.

Martin Howe, on 31 March 2020 - 11:45 PM, said:

EDIT: OK, the linux issue seems to be the hardcoded backslashes in USER.CON.
EDIT: Confirmed, replacing them with forward slashes makes it work. Is there any way EDuke32 could be modified to treat backslash path separators as forward slashes in .CON (and .DEF) code?

Yes, we might as well add that in to avoid the issue on Linux.

NightFright, on 01 April 2020 - 03:37 AM, said:

You can get rid of the warnings regarding already defined sound files in E32WT_CODE.CON easily by placing /* in front of the first line (262) and */ after the last one (716) that is listed in the log. I guess defining the sounds a second time in the custom con is redundant since the defs are already included in World Tour's user.con.

Do not do this. The purpose of these definitions is to use the VOC files in the GRP instead of the fucked-with Ogg files, where available.

NightFright, on 01 April 2020 - 03:37 AM, said:

I also had a warning about one of the normalmap defs (151_n.bmp) which was named 0151_n.bmp in my folder, but I might have done that rename by myself for consistency purposes.

Yes, that problem is on your end. WT ships with the inconsistency.

• The Truth is in here

Side question: Does it matter whether you use this with the Atomic or WT groupfile?

I guess the files are similar in general, besides some edited art entries IIRC. Sound files however should be the same.

I am using a copy of the Steam folder containing the maps, sounds, music, the 3 (?) new art files and cons. Nothing from the WT groupfile. Technically, the whole thing certainly works.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 April 2020 - 01:13 PM

• Weaponized Autism

NightFright, on 01 April 2020 - 01:08 PM, said:

Side question: Does it matter whether you use this with the Atomic or WT groupfile?

You will need to edit e32wt.grpinfo to match against the Atomic GRP instead of WT's, but other than that it will work exactly the same.

I still need to implement dependency classes instead of specifying CRC32s in the .grpinfo.

• The Truth is in here

Yeah, I guess you just put duke15_crc as dependency and it should work with Atomic. It's great to see this finally work flawlessly in EDuke32.

Until EDuke32 has been updated for the USER.CON sounds on Linux, here's a fragment of my ' install WT for linux' script that Linux users can use as a starting point:

#!/bin/bash
cp -f USER.CON e32wt.tmp1
sed -E "s/ sound\\\\+/ sound\\//" < e32wt.tmp1 > e32wt.tmp2 # Fix backslash path separators
cp -f e32wt.tmp2 USER.CON
rm -f e32wt.tmp*

• The Truth is in here

If you want to eliminate the hundreds of warnings reliably without losing voc restrauration, I guess you have to comment out the corresponding lines in WT's user.con.
However, there is still one warning in e32wt_code.con which could be avoided: ALIEN_ELEVATOR1 (hydro43.voc) is defined twice (lines 499+616).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 April 2020 - 12:20 AM

NightFright, on 02 April 2020 - 12:16 AM, said:

If you want to eliminate the hundreds of warnings reliably without losing voc restrauration, I guess you have to comment out the corresponding lines in WT's user.con.
However, there is still one warning in e32wt_code.con which could be avoided: ALIEN_ELEVATOR1 (hydro43.voc) is defined twice (lines 499+616).

Already got that covered in the main script I'm using :lol:

cp -f USER.CON e32wt.tmp1
sed -E "s/ sound\\\\+/ sound\//" < e32wt.tmp1 > e32wt.tmp2 # Fix backslash path separators
awk '/^definesound ALIEN_ELEVATOR1/ && !f{f=1; next} 1' < e32wt.tmp2 > e32wt.tmp3 # Fix repeated SOUND 261 definition
cp -f e32wt.tmp3 WTUSER.CON
rm -f e32wt.tmp*

The script is still being developed, so I'm not posting it here yet. Besides, since most people are using Windows and it uses a bunch of Unix/Linux tools ... good luck porting it to PS or CMD ;)

User is offline   NY00123 

Thanks for offering the script. The use of the backslash as a path separator is indeed a problem on platforms where it isn't used as such. Replacing each backslash with a slash in EDuke32 itself should probably not be too difficult.

Another problem which is still there is case sensitivity of filenames. You may notice that you can't start episode 1 in EDuke32 after loading WT with the stopgap, for instance.
E32WT_CODE.CON can be edited, but a solution will be required for EDuke32 itself if this also applies to other files for which there's no such easy fix, and also for eventually removing the dependency on the stopgap.

User is offline   necroslut 

Very nice. Finally we can play through this (great, in my opinion) in a port that's actually good. But damn, those fireflies are a terrible enemy!
With the implementation of the flamethrower, does that mean any changes for modders regarding implementing new weapons?

At the bottom of the menu I see "WORLD TOUR UPDATE RECOMMENDED!" is this referring to an updated version of the stopgap package, the EDuke32 engine, or the 20AWT game files?
appendevent EVENT_INIT
    redefinequote 117 Warning: You are not using the latest version of World Tour.
    echo 117
endevent[size=2]
[/size]
Nevermind.

This post has been edited by Searinox Navras: 04 June 2020 - 03:36 AM

User is offline   the_raven 

Oh yes, finally! Devs, you's are mine heroes! :)

User is offline   randir14 

Is there any way to get World Tour's ambient occlusion setting working with the stopgap? I'm already using Polymer which enables WT's new colored lighting, but not the ambient occlusion.

Polymer doesn't have AO

User is offline   randir14 

Phredreeke, on 28 October 2020 - 11:31 AM, said:

Polymer doesn't have AO

Ok, thanks. Just one more question - is there a way to play mods or use custom content with the stopgap? For example when I use custom .ogg files in the non-stopgap WT+eduke32 (as seen in this pic: https://i.imgur.com/AiTrgJr.png) the custom sounds correctly play in the game. But when I use the stopgap the game ignores the custom sounds and only plays the default sounds.

This post has been edited by randir14: 28 October 2020 - 01:22 PM

So, if I play AWO using the EDuke32 executable instead of the 20AWT one on Steam, when I try to use either of the cvars present in the GitHub page, nothing happens. For example, I'm trying to turn off those annoying developer commentary bubbles that are just immersion-breakingly floating in midair, but even though I'm typing in the cvar properly, it doesn't do anything.

The GitHub page says to type in (without quotes) "setvar commentary <value>" and for "value" you type in any number from 0 to 2. 0 is off, 1 is on, and 2 (which seems to be the default) is on, but don't allow playback. I'm typing in "setvar commentary 0" to try and turn it off but it doesn't work. Do I need to surround the number with the "<" and ">" signs for it to work, or is this just a bug? I'd like to at least have the option of playing this chapter using the EDuke32 exe if I can (even though the lighting isn't as good), but I can't bring myself to do so with those inane bubbles just floating around like that.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Are you using the latest version of EDuke32?

Jimmy, on 30 November 2020 - 02:56 PM, said:

Are you using the latest version of EDuke32?

Yep, the latest of the latest. Made sure to download it when I downloaded the Stopgap mod itself, just to be safe. Even though the mouse control is INFINITELY better with the mod, it still feels a tad off when played through the Steam executable. Not to mention if you want to play with the crosshair, you can't adjust the size of it... for some reason. So you either have a huge glaring crosshair, or none at all lol

Specifically, when I try typing in the cvar, I get an error message:

"setvar: 'commentary' is not a game variable!"

This post has been edited by Chozo Ghost: 30 November 2020 - 04:29 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Chozo Ghost, on 30 November 2020 - 02:42 PM, said:

For example, I'm trying to turn off those annoying developer commentary bubbles that are just immersion-breakingly floating in midair, but even though I'm typing in the cvar properly, it doesn't do anything.

If this happens, and if all the text says something like #Episode1 instead of L.A. Meltdown then the Stopgap is not loading properly. Make sure you've followed the installation instructions correctly and selected the correct entry in the startup window.

Hendricks266, on 30 November 2020 - 04:28 PM, said:

If this happens, and if all the text says something like #Episode1 instead of L.A. Meltdown then the Stopgap is not loading properly. Make sure you've followed the installation instructions correctly and selected the correct entry in the startup window.

I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions on the GitHub page to the letter, so I'm wondering what could have gone wrong, though that does seem to be what could be causing the issue.

Another funny issue I see is that the episode titles don't even show up in the menu at all. They are selectable, and the levels seem to play just fine, but the text itself is invisible.

Any idea what I could have done wrong during the installation process?

EDIT: Turns out I was selecting the wrong entry! I was selecting the standard WT entry instead of the one labelled stopgap. This one works perfectly, AND the devcom bubbles seem to be off by default! Excellent!

This post has been edited by Chozo Ghost: 30 November 2020 - 04:35 PM

User is offline   szaman 

I have a problem with Eduke32... I have to two versions of duke3D.
First one is the "GOG" version. There i have installed the Eduke32, everything works fine there!
The second version is from Steam "World Tour". Done the same thing and dosen't work:/ (latest build with stopgap,enabled polymer,autoload folder etc..)

I mean, I can boot normally, but polymer doesn't work like in the GOG duke version.

Here is the "Eduke32 WT log" i hope it helps...

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by szaman: 09 January 2021 - 05:53 PM

• The Truth is in here

Since I am currently looking into World Tour and how it works in general: Does anybody know how colored lights are defined in WT maps? The stopgap doesn't seem to contain any definitions for this purpose. Is the light data embedded into the maps somehow or is it hardcoded into the engine?

NightFright, on 12 April 2021 - 01:15 PM, said:

Since I am currently looking into World Tour and how it works in general: Does anybody know how colored lights are defined in WT maps? The stopgap doesn't seem to contain any definitions for this purpose. Is the light data embedded into the maps somehow or is it hardcoded into the engine?

Idk if this can somehow help you, but if you use the Stopgap with a revision like 6308 (Polymer on), it will use a good amount of WT lights, exception for the "shadows" on stuff like the ventilation ducts.

Also, looks like if you put WT maps in a folder with an old revision of eduke32 (+Duke3d.grp) ie: r4593, r6927, r7395 (Polymer on), it will use WT lights (as it works with the Stopgap), surprisinling it works with the HRP too.
Just avoid Alien World Order episode, as maps are broken if you plan to use them without the Stopgap (or E5L1 is broken at least).

Spoiler

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 29 April 2021 - 10:29 PM

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options