• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Tour EDuke32 Compatibility Stopgap  "My package arrives."

User is offline   pacman 

View PostHendricks266, on 18 January 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

Good to hear. I will update the package to restore detection of the original GRP file, and to display a warning in the menu and in the log file.

when will you update? I want to play custom maps with the bump mapping :P

User is offline   CRAZYCOW 

View Postpacman, on 21 January 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

when will you update? I want to play custom maps with the bump mapping :P

me too lol

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If you don't have any way to update your installation of World Tour, then I am forced to conclude that you are a Filthy Pirate™.

View PostHendricks266, on 24 January 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

If you don't have any way to update your installation of World Tour, then I am forced to conclude that you are a Filthy Pirate™.

I Own it I was just wondering about bumpmapping I see normal maps but not bumpmaps :P

This post has been edited by CRAZYCOW: 25 January 2017 - 08:01 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Why would you want bump maps when we have normal maps?

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 January 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

Why would you want bump maps when we have normal maps?

Normal maps are for normal people.

• Weaponized Autism

World Tour does not have bump maps. World Tour has normal maps.

If you don't see them, either the mod is not installed properly or you're not using Polymer.

• The Sarien Encounter

Normal maps are bump maps only better.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

All those weird blue textures in the 'textures' folder that look like this:
Posted Image

User is offline   Kawa 

Bump map: a grayscale image that encodes how far a given pixel protrudes from the surface.
Normal map: a blue image that encodes which direction a given pixel points at.

Roughly speaking.

View PostKawa, on 26 January 2017 - 05:13 AM, said:

Bump map: a grayscale image that encodes how far a given pixel protrudes from the surface.
Normal map: a blue image that encodes which direction a given pixel points at.

Roughly speaking.

The texture you guys are calling a "bump map" is actually called a "height map". Bump mapping is a technique that uses normal maps to generate "bumps" on a surface. Bump mapping isn't a texture type.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 25 January 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

Normal maps are bump maps only better.

Height maps(as I stated above), are used for more advanced forms of bump mapping. Normal bump mapping is just dot(lightvector, tangent_space_normal), were tangent_space_normal is the normal map transformed to correlate to how the geo is facing in the world. For parralax mapping for example, you would use the height map(what you guys are incorrectly calling the bump map), along with a bunch of math, to offset the UV coords at each pixel to give a "deeper more pronounced bump".

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 26 January 2017 - 08:29 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I've always heard it referred to as bump mapping and then normal mapping came out after I heard the term bump mapping. I bow to the experts, though.

View Posticecoldduke, on 26 January 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

The texture you guys are calling a "bump map" is actually called a "height map". Bump mapping is a technique that uses normal maps to generate "bumps" on a surface. Bump mapping isn't a texture type.

Height maps(as I stated above), are used for more advanced forms of bump mapping. Normal bump mapping is just dot(lightvector, tangent_space_normal), were tangent_space_normal is the normal map transformed to correlate to how the geo is facing in the world. For parralax mapping for example, you would use the height map(what you guys are incorrectly calling the bump map), along with a bunch of math, to offset the UV coords at each pixel to give a "deeper more pronounced bump".

ah,okay I had to do pr_atmaping 0 in the console for it work I feel stupid now

User is offline   cybdmn 

View Posticecoldduke, on 26 January 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

Nope. Kawa is right about that. What you speaking about is a displacement map. And each of them, normal, bump and displacement maps ARE actual texture maps. Just the way they are interpreted are different. While normal (which are more precise) and bump maps just have an influence on how the light ray are calculated, a displacement map have an influence on how the geometry is rendered.

View Postcybdmn, on 30 January 2017 - 03:27 AM, said:

Nope. Kawa is right about that. What you speaking about is a displacement map. And each of them, normal, bump and displacement maps ARE actual texture maps. Just the way they are interpreted are different. While normal (which are more precise) and bump maps just have an influence on how the light ray are calculated, a displacement map have an influence on how the geometry is rendered.

Height map and displacement map terminology can be used interchangeably(depending on who you ask). You are incorrect in today's game development world that the texture those guys were referring to is called a bump map, and that a bump map is a texture type.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 30 January 2017 - 05:02 PM

• Polymancer

In the world of non-real-time rendering, a bump map was used to provide basic surface detail to a model. It would be used to provide panel lines on a machine, or a stone texture to a statue. The bump map was used to supply shallow surface detail only. This type of map was referenced to as a bump map.

This was considered to be separate from a proper displacement or height map, which would be used to supply high-relief information. in offline rendering, a height map can deform the geometry of the object that it's applied to. You can use them to add major surface detail such as a mountain range or waves on the ocean.

Think of it as a height/displacement map does the heavy lifting, while the bump map provides the surface detail.

In the world of real-time rendering, bump maps are replaced by normal maps as the RGB image can provide more information than the greyscale bump map can.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that earlier builds of DNF did actually use bump mapping, though I can't find the reference at the moment.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 30 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

User is offline   Kawa 

To demonstrate:

Posted Image

Bump vs displacement, using the same map for both. You'll notice that the bump map doesn't physically change the shape of the sheet it's applied to. If I had one I would show what it'd look like with a normal map.

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostTea Monster, on 30 January 2017 - 11:13 PM, said:

In the world of real-time rendering, bump maps are replaced by normal maps as the RGB image can provide more information than the greyscale bump map can.

The main difference between bump and normal maps is, that a bump map contains informations about the "height" of every pixel, while the normal map contains informations about the "direction" of every pixel. This makes light calculations based on normal maps much more precise.

A normal is an axis in the middle of every polygon, directing 90° from the surface out. A normal map contains informations for every normal based on a pixel grid.

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostKawa, on 31 January 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

If I had one I would show what it'd look like with a normal map.

You could generate one with an application like Crazybump, using your bump/displacement map. ;-)

User is offline   NNC 

Hollywood Holocaust is a normal map. Hollywood Inferno isn't.

• The Sarien Encounter

What is a "normal" anyway?

User is offline   Kawa 

It's a vector perpendicular to a surface.

https://en.wikipedia...ormal_(geometry)

This post has been edited by Kawa: 09 February 2017 - 10:18 AM

• Polymancer

Actually, this:

https://en.wikipedia.../Normal_mapping

Basicaly, a normal map in games allows a surface of a model to mimic the surface detail of another model. So you can have a highly detailed, high-polygon model that would never work in a game, and transfer the surface detail from that high poly model to one that will work as a game model.

The normal map allows the low poly model to look like it has the surface detail of the high poly model when you shine a light on it.

Like this:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 12 February 2017 - 05:57 AM

• Weaponized Autism

I wish there were a good solution for the outlines of a model where shading can't help you.

User is online   Mark 

There is. Its called making a detailed diff texture. Not ideal but it works

This post has been edited by Mark.: 12 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

• Polymancer

You can either up the polycount, or you can look at your model in silhouette and strategically add geometry so it isn't so noticeable. In modern engines, it isn't such a problem.

User is offline   Master O 

So what is the current status of firefly/incinerator support in Eduke32 then?

• Weaponized Autism

New version: 20170409

Changelog:
Use a dummy GRP so that the Stopgap has a separate entry in the startup window from the Atomic Edition-compatible World Tour GRP file.
Requires r6113 or later.

No further changes.

User is offline   The Nate 

View PostHendricks266, on 09 April 2017 - 05:36 AM, said:

New version: 20170409

Changelog:
Use a dummy GRP so that the Stopgap has a separate entry in the startup window from the Atomic Edition-compatible World Tour GRP file.
Requires r6113 or later.

No further changes.

I've noticed that the WT fullscreen hud has an armor slot, and is not supported in the stopgap.
EDIT:Whoops. Sorry, don't read first post that much.

This post has been edited by Newcomer: 09 April 2017 - 07:25 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHendricks266, on 14 October 2016 - 01:27 AM, said:

Known issues:

I haven't added the Armor box to the classic mini-hud, or the slight adjustments to the full statusbar.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options