Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - Duke4.net Forums

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

View PostNancsi, on 24 November 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

Episode 5 is bigger than any of the other episodes, since most maps are bigger than all originals but Dark Side and Derelict, although after 20 years it could have been so much bigger. After the dust has settled, I have to say, it wasn't a good release (contradicting my earlier opinion). The two most famous levels are still amazing, but everything else here should have been as big and as ambitious, even if we had to wait a few more months.

This wasn't the first time Duke Nukem went on a World Tour. Duke Nukem Critical Mass, he went around the world to collect fusion cells. The game ended in a cliffhanger though.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

A new episode, really ? And what is the back story this time ?

View Postgemeaux333, on 24 November 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

A new episode, really ? And what is the back story this time ?

Something about the fusion cells for a time machine got scattered around the world. Duke must travel to different parts of the World, hence the name World Tour, to get the fusion cells back. Once he's done that, he travels back time to via the teleporter in Hollywood and fights the Cycloid Incinerator to stop the alien invasion from ever happening.

This post has been edited by Redxplatinum: 24 November 2018 - 05:21 PM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Reminds me another series from the australian producer Jonathan M. Shiff : "Thunderstone"

Any idea of when we will see this new episode ?

Any link to mention of that news, or did I miss it earlier in the thread? That'd be great for sure. I loved the Alien World Order WT episode.

That said, they should still patch up the World Tour game. Adding options for proper frame rate limiting, turning off vsync (I do it through Nvidia's thing for this), classic weapon switching, etc.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 24 November 2018 - 10:49 PM

User is offline   NNC 

Also, am I the only one who is bothered by the order of the levels? It starts in Holland, then travels to the east to Russia, then back to England, the south to Egypt, then Italy/France again to western Europe, and then to the US. At least Bloody Hell should have been slotted between Tour de Nukem and Golden Carnage.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Yeah, geographically the level order makes no sense.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

It's the 21st century, distances don't matter. I think there's no real reason why the locations should've been in the sequence of their geographical proximity. I doubt the authors intended to imply that Duke travels on foot between the levels. After all, there are teleporters in Duke's world.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Where in the World is Duke Santiago! Nitpicker's Edition

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMrFlibble, on 25 November 2018 - 03:02 AM, said:

It's the 21st century, distances don't matter. I think there's no real reason why the locations should've been in the sequence of their geographical proximity. I doubt the authors intended to imply that Duke travels on foot between the levels. After all, there are teleporters in Duke's world.

It kinda did bother me that there was no explanation of how Duke travelled from place to place, though. In the original game the levels were a connected whole, I really missed that in the WT episode. No teleporter stations, no helicopters flying past, no crashed alien ships - you just found yourself in another place.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View Postnecroslut, on 25 November 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

It kinda did bother me that there was no explanation of how Duke travelled from place to place, though. In the original game the levels were a connected whole, I really missed that in the WT episode. No teleporter stations, no helicopters flying past, no crashed alien ships - you just found yourself in another place.

Yeah that in particular bothered me too. Though to be fair, that's been bothering me since The Birth.

User is offline   Forge 

We're going to suspend disbelief about a military submarine parked in a box canyon outside a prison, or dropping down a sewer hole in a flooded city, only to emerge in a sewer pipe in a whole different un-flooded part of the city that would technically be at a much lower point than the flooded section of city Duke just left; thus should actually be underwater - but we can't get over the lack of cutscenes of Duke sitting in 1st class, or riding in a helicopter, or taking a teleporter to different parts of the same planet.

Okay. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Forge: 25 November 2018 - 02:07 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

If we really get another episode (for WT), then please a proper one with two secret levels, new weapons that don't suck (and aren't hardcoded) and a boss that actually deserves its name, at least on the difficulty level of the Alien Queen.

Oh, and Lee Jackson music again, ofc. And a JSJ that sounds more like he's actually doing this for fun and not for money. Then, and only then... will I actually pay for this. Since it certainly wouldn't be for free.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 November 2018 - 02:02 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNightFright, on 25 November 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

If we really get another episode (for WT), then please a proper one with two secret levels, new weapons that don't suck (and aren't hardcoded) and a boss that actually deserves its name, at least on the difficulty level of the Alien Queen.

Oh, and Lee Jackson music again, ofc. And a JSJ that sounds more like he's actually doing this for fun and not for money. Then, and only then... will I actually pay for this. Since it certainly wouldn't be for free.

.....and please un-fuck the spongy controls and assed up mouse-wheel weapon-scrolling

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNancsi, on 24 November 2018 - 12:58 AM, said:

I thought there are news that Allen Blum is working on a new Duke episode of 11 large maps in the size of Golden Carnage or bigger, and it takes place at various exotic locations from Taj Mahal and Marrakesh market through the great wall of China and Singapore Marina Bay to the Yucatan and the Iguacu Waterfalls in Brazil, then it all ends in an epic battle at the alien's hive far away in the Andromeda Galaxy. The episode has 3 new monster types and 2 new alt weapons, none of them are lazy recolors or beta rippage.

But it's not that news. :rolleyes:

Are you saying this as a hypothetical or are you repeating a hoax from somewhere else?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostHendricks266, on 25 November 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

Are you saying this as a hypothetical or are you repeating a hoax from somewhere else?

Doesn't matter.
As long as all the maps stop and start at hot-air balloon launch fields, teleport tubes, and parking garages, to maintain fluid continuity.

Elon Musk and the Heavy Metal movie have already shown that it's possible to take cars into and out of orbit.

That movie is cool. The Mob Rules!

https://imgur.com/a/ZHxmVJR

Definitely my pick for the labor of love. After 20 years, Gearbox managed to get the old team together to make another episode, new music and redid most of the voices.

View PostForge, on 25 November 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

We're going to suspend disbelief about a military submarine parked in a box canyon outside a prison, or dropping down a sewer hole in a flooded city, only to emerge in a sewer pipe in a whole different un-flooded part of the city that would technically be at a much lower point than the flooded section of city Duke just left; thus should actually be underwater - but we can't get over the lack of cutscenes of Duke sitting in 1st class, or riding in a helicopter, or taking a teleporter to different parts of the same planet.

Okay. :rolleyes:

It's not really about suspension of disbelief (at least not for me, anyway). It's more that Duke was one of the few games (and really still kind of is) that did level continuity. It was a unique point that made the game more immersive, and its absence is felt. Of course, travelling the world makes that a bit more challenging, but they could have thought of a couple of ways to bridge levels together, as opposed to going from an alien spacecraft deep below Paris to atop the ruins of the Golden Gate Bridge out of nowhere (or indeed, going from the heart of a government whatever facility to an alleyway by a fast food restaurant).

User is offline   NNC 

View PostHendricks266, on 25 November 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

Someone bumped this thread from the grave and I said what did I wish when clicked on it. No hoax here, I thought it was fairly obvious in my post.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostNinety-Six, on 25 November 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

It's not really about suspension of disbelief (at least not for me, anyway). It's more that Duke was one of the few games (and really still kind of is) that did level continuity. It was a unique point that made the game more immersive, and its absence is felt. Of course, travelling the world makes that a bit more challenging, but they could have thought of a couple of ways to bridge levels together, as opposed to going from an alien spacecraft deep below Paris to atop the ruins of the Golden Gate Bridge out of nowhere (or indeed, going from the heart of a government whatever facility to an alleyway by a fast food restaurant).

Copying and pasting for example the same teleport chamber into every level and adding a level-end-sector would be too much work for a cheap cash grab.

User is offline   Forge 

View Postfuegerstef, on 26 November 2018 - 01:05 AM, said:

Copying and pasting for example the same teleport chamber into every level and adding a level-end-sector would be too much work for a cheap cash grab.

+10
The last episode should have been a dlc to megaton & then a demand for royalties on the use of the i.p.
We would have been better off.

But Randy-greed maneuverings have cost the community access to the addons, pretty much for the rest of our lifetime. (2092?).

I don't agree with that take. Allen Blum and Levelord made the levels they wanted to make, why wouldn't they have? Continuous levels are cool and all, but I don't think it makes sense to say it was too much work to add this or they neglected to do something essential there. And the levels were great.

View PostForge, on 26 November 2018 - 06:24 AM, said:

+10
The last episode should have been a dlc to megaton & then a demand for royalties on the use of the i.p.
We would have been better off.

But Randy-greed maneuverings have cost the community access to the addons, pretty much for the rest of our lifetime. (2092?).

The way the WT release was handled also achieved to split the already small multiplayer base and mapping further.

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 26 November 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

I don't agree with that take. Allen Blum and Levelord made the levels they wanted to make, why wouldn't they have? Continuous levels are cool and all, but I don't think it makes sense to say it was too much work to add this or they neglected to do something essential there. And the levels were great.

Connection of levels isn't really a level design issue as much as a game design issue. I agree that the levels were great though, but the unconnected feel hurt it a bit for me.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 26 November 2018 - 11:15 AM

User is offline   NNC 

The episode has a weird balance as well. The first 3 levels are european cities with busy leveldesign with lots of sprites and fake doors. Then comes a one-of-its-kind egyptian map, which felt like a drastic change in style without explanation. Then again another sprite and fake door heavy city level next if nothing happened.

This weird construction felt like if someone ripped out Lunar Reactor, and put it into episode 3 between Movie Set and Rabid Transit.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNancsi, on 26 November 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

The episode has a weird balance as well. The first 3 levels are european cities with busy leveldesign with lots of sprites and fake doors. Then comes a one-of-its-kind egyptian map, which felt like a drastic change in style without explanation. Then again another sprite and fake door heavy city level next if nothing happened.

This weird construction felt like if someone ripped out Lunar Reactor, and put it into episode 3 between Movie Set and Rabid Transit.

That egypt map doesn't fit anywhere in the episode because of it's unique design and style.
It's an interesting map in its own special way, but the episode might have been better off with a cairo map & the pyramids as background scenery

View PostForge, on 26 November 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

That egypt map doesn't fit anywhere in the episode because of it's unique design and style.
It's an interesting map in its own special way, but the episode might have been better off with a cairo map & the pyramids as background scenery

I guess it's what happens when you make a "world tour" episode and set 7 out of 8 maps in european and US cities... With the map lineup they went for they might as well have made it "European vacation", and at least it would have been coherent. Or made the episode longer.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostForge, on 26 November 2018 - 04:28 PM, said:

Actually it's more like 3 episodes.

Map 1, 2, 3, 5 and 9 are European vacation.
Map 4 is exotic vacation.
Map 6 and 7 are back to California.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNancsi, on 26 November 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

Actually it's more like 3 episodes.

Map 1, 2, 3, 5 and 9 are European vacation.
Map 4 is exotic vacation.
Map 6 and 7 are back to California.

Would have made more sense to have the Rome map the normal level & the egypt map the secret level, but that's just me

View PostForge, on 26 November 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

Would have made more sense to have the Rome map the normal level & the egypt map the secret level, but that's just me

I'm not sure if a level as massive as Mirage Barrage could work as a secret level.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 26 November 2018 - 08:56 PM

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options