Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 109 Pages +
  • « First
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   ---- 

#181

View PostHiPolyBash, on 29 August 2016 - 12:27 AM, said:

The difference here being it's under direction of Randy Pitchford and Gearbox Software so negative assumptions are not without reason considering the past actions of Pitchford and co.


I don't like him either ... and not just because he was personally responsible for making Nerve implement the pixel artifacts around some sprites to piss everybody off.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 29 August 2016 - 12:35 AM

0

User is offline   Jesus is King 

  • Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself

#182

All the dialogue was written after the game was finished by two women who had never worked on the series, and probably never played a Duke game. It was very try-hard normie-meme "humour." Anyone who defends DNF's writing is an idiot. Anyone who thinks DNF is better than Zero Hour deserves cancer.
-2

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

#183

Wow, if they have some of the former level designers on board and new tracks from Lee Jackson, World Tour could be a nice return to form for Duke. I hope it's as good as it sounds! :)
0

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

#184

BAZINGA! :lol:
0

User is offline   deuxsonic 

#185

The one line I always thought needed redone was when Duke says John McClain's "Yippie Ki Yay Motherfucker" and they censored the word fuck kind of defeating the purpose of having the line in there at all. Considering the game's rating I would have just left it as recorded.
0

User is offline   ashura252 

#186

View Postdeuxsonic, on 29 August 2016 - 04:56 AM, said:

The one line I always thought needed redone was when Duke says John McClain's "Yippie Ki Yay Motherfucker" and they censored the word fuck kind of defeating the purpose of having the line in there at all. Considering the game's rating I would have just left it as recorded.

If they still have the original file, this would be a nice thing to restore in a rerelease. (Or at least give the option to restore it in a menu. I kinda like the bleep. One of those censorings that actually adds impact or something, imo.)
1

User is offline   MetHy 

#187

I always thought the beep was part of the joke.

Edit: btw, if it's true that some of the original level designers participated, I feel even more sorry about the art.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 29 August 2016 - 05:47 AM

1

User is offline   Steveeeie 

#188

Just a thought, isn't the 'English street' everybody keeps referring to more likely to be Amsterdam?
1

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

#189

If it's Amsterdam maybe Duke will get blazed?
0

User is offline   MetHy 

#190

Right, I knew English was wrong, hence the " " but I couldn't put my finger on it.

http://www.eatingamsterdamtours.com/wp-content/themes/eatingamsterdamtours/images/eating-amsterdam-about.jpg

Besides, you can cleary see bicycles sprites at the back of the screenshot. Should have been a hint. I was too busy looking at all the visual noise.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 29 August 2016 - 06:34 AM

0

User is offline   Kathy 

#191

View Postdeuxsonic, on 28 August 2016 - 11:53 PM, said:

Lee Jackson on music, Allen H Blum III and/or Levelord on maps, new weapon(s), I'm getting excited.

That's assuming they still "got it". While it would be important in emotional sense to have them making levels, those levels nevertheless need to be good.
0

User is online   X-Vector 

#192

Hopefully it won't be quite as bad as this.
0

User is offline   necroslut 

#193

View PostSteveeeie, on 29 August 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

Just a thought, isn't the 'English street' everybody keeps referring to more likely to be Amsterdam?

Yeah, it's quite obviously Amsterdam.
0

User is offline   deuxsonic 

#194

View PostKathy, on 29 August 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

That's assuming they still "got it". While it would be important in emotional sense to have them making levels, those levels nevertheless need to be good.


With how the 2 of them did the entire game's worth of maps and then continued doing mapping after Duke3d, I'm going to have faith. This forum is full of people who can make great maps and TerminX confirmed that the mappers know what they are doing so I'm optimistic.
0

User is offline   Sanek 

#195

I'm sorry, but these pics looks like crap. And we wait 20 years for this? Just another episode? Sure I will play it, but the new art really look cheap and terrible, like it came straight from some third-rate TC of the 90s.
0

User is offline   tsunstealer 

  • Honored Donor

#196

Speaking of the bleeped yippee ki yay sound... There's already an uncensored version.
VOC

Anyways.. I'm hoping this turns out to be good, and maybe will give us alpha/beta access.

Also I think this idea of a World Tour for DN3D is a long lost concept that was hung up for years until now. I remember in an interview with 3DR employee's on the Official DN3D Strategy Guide, that they "wanted to have Duke all around the world" when asked about whether or not there would be any expansion packs, but this was before they made the Atomic Edition and by that time I think they lost interest because they had other projects to work on, most of which they handed out to others to complete.

This post has been edited by Tristan: 29 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

2

#197

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 29 August 2016 - 01:25 AM, said:

All the dialogue was written after the game was finished by two women who had never worked on the series, and probably never played a Duke game. It was very try-hard normie-meme "humour." Anyone who defends DNF's writing is an idiot. Anyone who thinks DNF is better than Zero Hour deserves cancer.


I just got back from driving my mom today, who is a cancer survivor and can't drive anymore. You have serious problems.You know whats weird, just like a week ago I was playing Overwatch with somebody who literally said "I hope your mom gets cancer", based on some silly video game concern of theirs I can't remember. I honestly don't know what's wrong wtih people.

I like the video game Zero Hour, I still have the cartridge. We share common interests, like Duke 3D maps. I happen to like another video game better, and you feel this is a reason to say horrible things to people? If this is where you chime in and say "its a joke", that doesn't make much sense. You're just taking hobbies way too seriously, it's no excuse to say crap like that.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 29 August 2016 - 01:01 PM

4

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#198

People exagerate with hyperbole due to excess emotional outbursts over small things that seem grand to them. Let it slide off your back. They don't really mean it and aren't worth getting upset over anyway. It's a classic sign of immaturity. Don't you fall for it as well because they're even less worth getting upset over.
0

#199

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 29 August 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

People exagerate with hyperbole due to excess emotional outbursts over small things that seem grand to them. Let it slide off your back. They don't really mean it and aren't worth getting upset over anyway. It's a classic sign of immaturity. Don't you fall for it as well because they're even less worth getting upset over.


Sure, but somebody might as well say something.
1

User is offline   Robman 

  • Asswhipe [sic]

#200

From Jimmy or Viper, such things said are merely for "shock value" because, let's be honest... there's very little that actually shocks anybody anymore, unless you're a politically correct leftist that is.

That said, this cancer pandemic is a f*ck'n shame, it's had so much money thrown at it to make it a solved equation and yet... nothing.

Btw: I thought you were all mad at GyeerBhoX and going to boycott and such..
I haven't followed this thread much.. but is this truly a new d3d episode? ... is it free?
I'll play it if it's free... if it isn't.. no.

This post has been edited by Robman: 29 August 2016 - 01:17 PM

0

User is offline   xMobilemux 

#201

When it comes to Duke in DNF and how Gearbox still seems to be writing him now, I'm kinda getting a similar vibe to how Ash in Ash vs Evil Dead was written, while Ash is written as a guy who thinks he's the best and he does badass stuff, he's also an idiot and makes loads of screw ups and Duke is written as he knows he's the best and he does badass stuff while also being a douche.

Modern Ash reminds me of DNF Duke in terms of some of their lines as well, like when Ash says "Do I save her cause I should? Or cause she's hot?", that's something I'd see DNF Duke saying, also the scene where his evil twin killed Amanda, Ash is seemingly hurt over her loss, but then snaps back into dirty humor by wanting to take a peak at her boobs before he cuts her up, that kind of humor reminded me of how Duke acted in the hive, of course they're a little different, but still similar.



I don't know exactly, but since Modern Ash and Modern Duke seem similar enough to me, I'd be ok if they went with Douche Nukem again, only they need to write him better. Cause let's be real, that classic Duke we all want, that's 3DRealm's Duke and he's never coming back, 3D Realms is done with Duke so now we have to put up with Gearbox's Douche Nukem.
But I'd take Douche Nukem over some SJW Doug Huggem any day.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 29 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

0

User is offline   Kathy 

#202

Spoilers, dude...

And Ash was also a bit of an idiot in Army Of Darkness. So he's at least consistent with that. While Duke is not only douchey in DNF, but also excessively vulgar, which gives the whole tone of a game as being silly and childish, and not in a good way.
0

User is offline   xMobilemux 

#203

How has every Duke fan on here NOT seen Ash vs Evil Dead yet?

Ash in Season 2 appears to be similar to how Duke started in DNF as well, Ash in Jacksonville, surrounded by his worshipers and women, then demons invade and screw up his vacation, actually sounds almost identical to all of Duke's adventures.


This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 29 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

1

#204

View PostTristan, on 29 August 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

Speaking of the bleeped yippee ki yay sound... There's already an uncensored version.
VOC

Anyways.. I'm hoping this turns out to be good, and maybe will give us alpha/beta access.

Also I think this idea of a World Tour for DN3D is a long lost concept that was hung up for years until now. I remember in an interview with 3DR employee's on the Official DN3D Strategy Guide, that they "wanted to have Duke all around the world" when asked about whether or not there would be any expansion packs, but this was before they made the Atomic Edition and by that time I think they lost interest because they had other projects to work on, most of which they handed out to others to complete.


I've been looking for that for years, I had it waaaaay back when, and then lost all my files. Thanks :D
0

User is offline   Paul B 

#205

View PostHiPolyBash, on 26 August 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

It'd be pretty funny if Levelord or even Pitchford were doing maps for this given the complaints about details in the screenshots, hopefully someone from Gearbox is watching these threads and makes a note of the issues pointed out. The Bombshell prequel screenshots look better than this in terms of aesthetics.

I'm looking forward to seeing this new content! =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 29 August 2016 - 06:52 PM

0

#206

View PostxMobilemux, on 29 August 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

How has every Duke fan on here NOT seen Ash vs Evil Dead yet?

Ash in Season 2 appears to be similar to how Duke started in DNF as well, Ash in Jacksonville, surrounded by his worshipers and women, then demons invade and screw up his vacation, actually sounds almost identical to all of Duke's adventures.



I love Ash vs Evil Dead! One of the best seasons of TV ever, glorious stuff. Can't wait for season 2. And of course, both Duke and Ash are keeping things... groovy.
0

User is offline   deuxsonic 

#207

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 29 August 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

I just got back from driving my mom today, who is a cancer survivor and can't drive anymore. You have serious problems.You know whats weird, just like a week ago I was playing Overwatch with somebody who literally said "I hope your mom gets cancer", based on some silly video game concern of theirs I can't remember. I honestly don't know what's wrong wtih people.

I like the video game Zero Hour, I still have the cartridge. We share common interests, like Duke 3D maps. I happen to like another video game better, and you feel this is a reason to say horrible things to people? If this is where you chime in and say "its a joke", that doesn't make much sense. You're just taking hobbies way too seriously, it's no excuse to say crap like that.


There are the children here who were in diapers when Duke3d came out who spout the bile, but also the people who countervote with positive feedback to try and undo the negative feedback when someone says something really stupid seemingly as a method of trolling, propping up a statement that someone should lose reputation over. I do think statements like that have no place here, and I sort of mentally keep track of the people that they come from because it does change how you see that person.
0

User is offline   Striker 

  • Auramancer

#208

I'll buy this, under a few conditions:

  • It isn't locked down, and doesn't prevent usage of user maps, .grp files, and .art files. Bonus points if it ends up getting Steam Workshop support.
  • The multiplayer isn't crap, and allows playing with custom maps if the above criteria is met, plus the new weapon(s) are usable in multiplayer.
  • There's a discount for owners of Megaton Edition.


This post has been edited by Striker: 29 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

0

#209

View PostxMobilemux, on 29 August 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:


I don't know exactly, but since Modern Ash and Modern Duke seem similar enough to me, I'd be ok if they went with Douche Nukem again, only they need to write him better. Cause let's be real, that classic Duke we all want, that's 3DRealm's Duke and he's never coming back, 3D Realms is done with Duke so now we have to put up with Gearbox's Douche Nukem.
But I'd take Douche Nukem over some SJW Doug Huggem any day.


Just as every James Bond actor has a different tone, I agree that we have to accept slight changes. Fans were pretty vocal about the flaws of DNF so I don't think we'll get an exact repeat of his character, but it won't ever be the same. Reading the Duke Twitter stuff is funny to me because he goes after the anti-Duke crowd fighting fire with fire. I think it fits, even though I doubt Duke would care about social media. If that's anything to go by, I'm sure the next generation of Duke will be decent at least.
0

#210

View Postdeuxsonic, on 29 August 2016 - 06:04 PM, said:

There are the children here who were in diapers when Duke3d came out who spout the bile, but also the people who countervote with positive feedback to try and undo the negative feedback when someone says something really stupid seemingly as a method of trolling, propping up a statement that someone should lose reputation over. I do think statements like that have no place here, and I sort of mentally keep track of the people that they come from because it does change how you see that person.


I appreciate it, thanks. To be honest it does weird me out that hendricks upvoted that, but I don't' want to derail this topic too much. Granted, that was Jimmy's fault. I'm not really sure why we have moderators or what they do if they encourage those posts.

(for the record I do appreciate you hendricks and the work you do for duke)

This forum is a lawless jungle I guess, luckily most people here are nice. I've even had friendly interactions with Jimmy a while ago (he recommended some maps etc). I think some people just type stuff at a screen and don't remember that they're interacting with other people.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 29 August 2016 - 06:41 PM

0

Share this topic:


  • 109 Pages +
  • « First
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options