Duke4.net Forums: Star Wars: Episode Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars: Episode Thread  "Because theres too many awesome things happening for a thread each"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTrooper Dan, on 07 June 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

I was accused of being a fanboy myself for some of my criticisms of Last Jedi. And here I am, not seeing Solo. And not interested in episode 9 at the moment.

I watched up until The Force Awakens.
Haven't watched, nor plan to watch, Rouge One, The Last Jedi, Solo.

Probably because I'm a white man and I ruin everything.
The unooficial version (since I'm not allowed to have an opinion), is that the movies are unimaginative and the characters are boring.
This is because of the cast, the directorS, and the president & v.p. of Lucas Films.

This post has been edited by Forge: 07 June 2018 - 01:00 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Mark, I think you underestimate just how divisive Star Wars has become. Last Jedi and Solo genuinely killed all my excitement to see more films.

Unless they make Kenobi with Ewan McGregor. I'll totally watch that.

View PostForge, on 07 June 2018 - 12:57 PM, said:

I watched up until The Force Awakens.
Haven't watched, nor plan to watch, Rouge One, The Last Jedi, Solo.

Probably because I'm a white man and I ruin everything.
The unooficial version (since I'm not allowed to have an opinion), is that the movies are unimaginative and the characters are boring.
This is because of the cast, the directorS, and the president & v.p. of Lucas Films.

Director Krenic in Rogue One is pretty good. In fact, just about everyone on the Imperial side is interesting. Nobody on the Rebel side is interesting. Except for the droid. He's funny.

At least watch the last half hour. It's Star Wars at its finest. The actual plot is nothing special, you can skip that.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 June 2018 - 02:48 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Rogue One was pretty good. The Force Awakens was good enough to make me optimistic about the series again -- however, it was also a promise of better things to come. I accepted the unoriginality of it on the grounds that they would build from that point and make something better. They did not. They went steeply downwards.

User is offline   ---- 

There are apparently some weirdos who want to collect money to do a remake of Episode VIII. :(

But ... that inspired me to write two complete screenplays for that Episode VIII-remake and even Episode IX ... everything based on Rian Johnson's ideas:

---

Star Wars - Episode VIII - "The Last Jedi" - Remake.

Full screenplay based on Rian Johnson's original The Last Jedi-ideas.

Opening Crawl:
"Nothing to see here as the whole things takes place 27 minutes after the last movie"

Resistance member #1: "The New Order attacks us!!"
Resistance member #2: "No problem. We can fly some ships into their Star Destroyers at hyperspeed."
Resistance member #3: "Hey, let us use droids -or even better- autopilots for that. Then there are no casualties."

Some nice imagery of spaceships flying into the New Order's ships.

The whole rest of the galaxy: "Wait. It is that easy to destroy ships of the New Order? Let's all join the resistance and we'll beat the New Order in a few minutes."

Closing Credits

-----

Star Wars - Episode IX - "Barbie's and Finn's Horse adventure".

Full screenplay based on Rian Johnson's setup and ideas for Episode XIII.

Opening Crawl:
"With eveyone joining the Resitance the New Order was defeated within minutes."

Finn: "Ok, now that we have peace, we can go and rescue some horses, like in those comics for little girls."

Imagery of Finn and Barbie riding space horses.

Closing Credits.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 22 June 2018 - 12:12 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I think that was a giant troll.

However, word on the street is now that all the Anthology films have been scrapped (2 more Solo films, Boba Fett, and Kenobi). I'm sad at the loss of Kenobi, but Kennedy needs to get out of there anyway before anything changes. However the person slated to replace her is Kiri Hart, the current head of the Star Wars Story Group. And also Rian Johnson's trilogy is still a go. So,.....nothing really changing I guess then.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 June 2018 - 04:12 AM, said:

I think that was a giant troll.

It was ... by Johnson. :(

• The Sarien Encounter

Scratch that, apparently the anthology films aren't scrapped. I don't know what to think anymore.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 22 June 2018 - 09:26 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

There were multiple Solo films planned?

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

IIRC Ehrenreich had a clause in his contract entitling him to appear in more Solo movies in case the first one succeeded. I guess we can all forget about that, though.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I hadn't realized that they were going to milk the franchise so much. I suppose it makes sense to have a multi-movie contract at least as an option for a popular franchise, even if the movies aren't necessarily planned yet.

Still, are the Star Wars characters in generally really that interesting to justify multiple movies? The original characters might have been fresh in their time, however by today's standards they're incredibly cliche. The characters in the new trilogy are either divisive (for lack of a better word), or just downright dull, including central characters like Rey and Finn. I did like the ones in Rogue One though.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 24 June 2018 - 05:18 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Interesting. I couldn't care less about the characters in Rogue One. Maybe K2. Still a blast of a movie, though. But it failed in making me care about anybody but Darth Vader and his victims.

And Krenic. He was pretty awesome.

• The Sarien Encounter

User is offline   Forge 

you can't get away with firing half the staff, the tears from the feigned moral outrage sexism & #metoo would swamp the ship

User is offline   Merlijn 

Little more than 2 years ago, star wars was the king of franchises, with a 2 billion dollar movie and a mostly euphoric fan base.
It's kind of impressive how fast they managed to let it crash and burn.

Firing the people in charge would be the sensible thing to do.

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 28 June 2018 - 01:02 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Apparently nobody wants to take the job because she screwed it up so bad and divided the fanbase so much. It's absolutely impressive. It's almost an art.

• The Truth is in here

I have problems liking the word "almost" in that Youtube video title for some reason.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 28 June 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

Apparently nobody wants to take the job because she screwed it up so bad and divided the fanbase so much. It's absolutely impressive. It's almost an art.

Is JJ Abrams still directing episode 9?

• The Sarien Encounter

Yes.

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

Seems more legit than any post-Lucas era Star Wars movie to me.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 June 2018 - 01:42 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Finally something good and exciting is happening for once!

• The Truth is in here

I am not sure how I am supposed to feel about this... Clone Wars was good, and especially the finale ended on such a high note that it seems like a sacrilege to go beyond that. Sure, there are still some things left to explore, such as what happened to Ventress, Maul and Ahsoka, but just how far can you go with that?

It felt pretty much finished for me, that's all I wanted to say.

User is offline   Forge 

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostNightFright, on 19 July 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

I am not sure how I am supposed to feel about this... Clone Wars was good, and especially the finale ended on such a high note that it seems like a sacrilege to go beyond that. Sure, there are still some things left to explore, such as what happened to Ventress, Maul and Ahsoka, but just how far can you go with that?

It felt pretty much finished for me, that's all I wanted to say.

Actually, it was cancelled before its time. The Lost Missions came out afterwards but there were even more unfinished episodes complete with voice acting but with stand-in animations and textures made in a more mock-up arrangement. Three were made I think and the rest were written but never made. A couple were made into comics and novels (specifically stories involving Maul and Ventress). Filoni had much more planned when it was cancelled. Now he has the opportunity to continue.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

Who thinks that Lando Calrissian will not die in the next movie, and even if it happens it will be a heroic and epic death, raise the hand.

Why am I not amazed?

BTW There is another element that may have contributed to please the new trilogy less. Despite is all sci-fantasy, in a certain sense the wars in the first two trilogies are identifiable as equivalent of the biggest coflicts the world faced in real life:

1 to 3 + Clone Wars = World War I

4 to 6 (or the actual 1 to 3) + Rogue One = World War II (and we known that the Empire is a caricature of the Third Reich in method and fashion with pinch of Japan Expansionism. As bonus point at the end of the third movie the evil guy before claim himself Emperor and start to conquer the galaxy it was chancellor just like UUUUUH)

7 to 9 = Generic war against terrorism? This is the closest similitude I can find given that a WWIII never happened (yet). Not sure of the comparison anyway since the New Order does not even seems a terroristic Al Qaeda alike organization composed of nostalgics in first place but a true organized army that does not hide excluding the beginning phase in which they reorganized (moreover say that you dislike the nazis seems a crime this days). More simple think it for what it is, a conflict without really historic similitudes created specially to give the new trilogy a semblance of meaning. In any case it does not return the same emotional grip.

User is offline   Hank 

Ah, let's politicalize Star Wars?
Jesus H. Fucking Christ, movies ain't not no the real thing.
It's pure fantasy from a Galaxy Far Away and Far Ago, well, thus I thought, could be very wrong, it may be real, or God forbid, Earth. :(

This post has been edited by Hank: 19 July 2018 - 05:51 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostFantinaikos, on 19 July 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

7 to 9 = Generic war against terrorism conservatives

• The Truth is in here

Well, I gotta admit Clone Wars had pretty strong story telling. I also liked how they developed and refined Anakin's character, showing that there were already indicators for him to tend to the dark side before what happened in Ep.3. This is stuff we didn't really quite see in the movies, the character change seemed to happen too suddenly. CW S6 indeed felt kinda rushed and the end came quickly. If they can resume the show on the same level it had before, I guess there wouldn't be any reason for me to ignore it.

*EDIT*
I see that right now they are just talking about 12 additional episodes to wrap up the plot gaps that remained after S6 ended. There's no talk about fully resuming the show for a full season or even more than that.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 July 2018 - 11:41 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

6 episodes? Hmm, well better than nothing. Never know, if it does well maybe they'll do more...

User is offline   Forge 

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options