Duke4.net Forums: Half-Life corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half-Life corner

View Postgemeaux333, on 03 April 2021 - 08:07 AM, said:

Valve is working on 2 more Half-Life games, and one of them is an expansion to Half-Life: Alyx probably related to Barney Calhoun (formerly under the name "Blast of the past")

God, I hope it's not the blue shift of the Alyx continuum.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I thought Blue Shift was fine. Not as good as Opposing Force but not awful. Just too short.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Blue Shift gets way too much flak, IMO. Its only crime is being short, but that's not really a bad thing if what we have is good. And I quite enjoy Blue Shift's level design. People talk about its Xen section, and for good reason. It's very well done. I also enjoy the story, because it's kinda nice to play as someone who isn't a hero in the same way the others were. He's not a villain, but when the brown stuff hits the whirly thing his mission is to just survive and escape, which I think would be most people's reaction if they were in any of the situations any of the characters involved were in.

Plus, BS was originally developed to be a console gaiden campaign in the same way Decay was to the PS2 port. A little extra, which is probably why it was so short. It's about equal to Decay's length. But when the Dreamcast version was canned, their choices were to either scrap BS with it or try to salvage it. And maybe I'm alone here, but I'd rather live in the world where we still got BS, and not the one where we didn't. BS is the reason Barney became one of my favorite characters.

• The Sarien Encounter

Agreed.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Blue Shift was also provided with a high definition pack that made 3d models way more convincing and lifelike (I don't understand what civvie find wrong with them) so it compensate a lot and also increase lifespan

View Postgemeaux333, on 22 May 2021 - 08:17 AM, said:

Blue Shift was also provided with a high definition pack that made 3d models way more convincing and lifelike (I don't understand what civvie find wrong with them) so it compensate a lot and also increase lifespan

That's the problem. When you put the High Definition models against Half-Life 1 level textures they stand out too much, the original models level of detail is consistent with the rest of the game. It's even more annoying in Opposing Force, for some goddamn reason the zombie scientist has an HD model but the zombie guards and soldiers don't.

Still i like to use the HD pack with Blue Shift. It feels like they were made for that, and that the low definition models were an afterthought.

Random Fact: The HD pistol uses the animations from the OpFor Desert Eagle.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 22 May 2021 - 10:47 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I liked the HD pack as an option. It was cool to replace everything and see what it looked like. But I really prefer the MP5 and Glock to the M4 Assault Rifle or the Berretta. But I do like it for the fact that it is an option and I can turn it off. I don't think it's bad....bu it's....wrong somehow.

User is offline   Newken 

Speaking of the HD models, this cannot be unseen. :huh:

I have about a 50/50 split over the SD vs HD models. I prefer the glock to the beretta, but I prefer the M4 to the MP5. I like the updated Security NPC models and scientists, as well as the HECU soldiers, but think some of the other enemy models missed the mark.

I prefer both NPC models over the PS2 ones however, with their detailed eyelids that give me major uncanny valley vibes.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 22 May 2021 - 03:58 PM

Joueur du Grenier, the french equivalent of Civvie, reviewed the game 4 years ago :

Not exactly a Half-Life question, but Portal is the same universe so close enough I guess:

Does anyone know if there's a Portal 2 mod out there that lets you play the co-op campaign alone? Either a scaled remake sort of like what the Decay SP mod was aiming for, or just a character swap function like the original Decay? I would like to play it again but I learned it remembers your campaign progress with anyone else you've played with, and co-op isn't my thing anyway.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostNinety-Six, on 27 July 2021 - 07:03 AM, said:

Not exactly a Half-Life question, but Portal is the same universe so close enough I guess:

Does anyone know if there's a Portal 2 mod out there that lets you play the co-op campaign alone? Either a scaled remake sort of like what the Decay SP mod was aiming for, or just a character swap function like the original Decay? I would like to play it again but I learned it remembers your campaign progress with anyone else you've played with, and co-op isn't my thing anyway.

There is a way to "test" co-op maps for Portal 2.
https://developer.va...o-Op_Maps_Alone

Some old guides linked in that page was hosted on old Steam forum and has been taken down for years, still Wayback Machine seems can be retrieved these pages.
http://web.archive.o...d.php?t=1847904
http://web.archive.o...d.php?t=1857198
http://web.archive.o....php?p=22141019

But it's not proper playing...and I didn't found any completed mods can do that...or I just didn't found or has been lost for reasons.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 28 July 2021 - 05:05 AM

User is offline   RegForFing 

Yeah pretty much

User is offline   RegForFing 

🙉

User is offline   Echelon5 

I was gonna make a new thread but I figured it'd be better to post this here.

I had a stupid idea a few weeks ago; Half-Life 23rd anniversary tribute trailer in the style of the infamous Duke Nukem Forever trailer from 2001.

https://youtu.be/yIJhYm9mWnU

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Posted a video of one of my earliest map packs from wayyy back in 2002.

Link to the maps is in the description.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostEchelon5, on 01 September 2021 - 02:51 AM, said:

I had a stupid idea a few weeks ago; Half-Life 23rd anniversary tribute trailer in the style of the infamous Duke Nukem Forever trailer from 2001.

https://youtu.be/yIJhYm9mWnU

This is really good! Great job!

View PostEchelon5, on 01 September 2021 - 02:51 AM, said:

This... this is Art.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 11 September 2021 - 10:56 AM

View PostNinety-Six, on 27 July 2021 - 07:03 AM, said:

I know i'ts been months, but i wrote a Steam guide about how to play coop solo with both character in fullscreen mode, with a swap character key. There's no way to save progress, but everything is unlocked from the start anyways (at least with this method) so you can write down what course/ chamber you where in and then start from that one next time you wanna play.
I played the full thing that way, It's definitely playable, iirc only the last 2 or 3 of chambers of course 5 require you to pull what i call "speedrun tricks", mostly because the intended way requires both players to be doing things at the same time. Still, nothing too hard.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 25 September 2021 - 07:24 PM

Half-Life Alyx is the exception that prove the rule :
-doesn't have shitty platforming, the only way to jump is the teleportation, and even then you won't have to cross many holes
-Alyx (your character) is talking, but she had a voice from the start, the only sad part is that Merle Dandridge also given her voice for Alyx in this game but another voice actress have been chose instead (probably because a younger voice was needed)

When it comes to Portal, yes its in the same universe as Half-Life, and even co-existing with the timeline of Half-Life

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 26 September 2021 - 09:52 AM

While I like Blue Shift, I can understand the bitterness some people had, especially if they paid full price for it. At a dollar it was great, and a great introduction to Half-Life, at 50$ or 60$ its a bit of a rip-off.

• The Sarien Encounter

Everyone craps on FPS platforming. I like it.

Merle Dandridge was screwed over by Valve. She recorded the entire game and then they got a different actress to do it instead. Many suspect it was so that the new actress could base her performance on Merle's personification of Alyx so it would be more authentic and that Valve never intended her to be the voice in the final game, but didn't tell her that. There is a HL:Alyx beta with Merle voicing the entire game out there though.

When I got Blue-Shift brand new it was like $40 max. And that's Canadian dollars. Also, Blue-Shift came with Opposing Force in the box too. And they didn't require Half-Life to run.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 September 2021 - 11:03 AM

Really? Interesting. I was reading Civvie's comment section and people were claiming 50 and 60. And while my copy has both Blue Shift and OpFor, I'm not sure that's necessarily good if you already have the original expansion, nor if it came with all copies.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 26 September 2021 - 11:00 AM, said:

Everyone craps on FPS platforming. I like it.

Same dude. The only time I take issue with FPS platforming is when they ask you to do unreliably, usually in older engines if you're trying to jump off a downward-facing slope or simulated physics where whatever is being stood on would slowly incline. Since in that kind of situation you technically go airborne just to move forward, so you can only jump during the frames you're actually on the ground.

That's the only time I have an issue with FPS platforming. Otherwise I enjoy it (especially if air movement is fantastic, like in Duke or Doom Eternal). The HL games I can't recall ever having that slope problem. The one and only time I can think of is Black Mesa's take on the infamous "box-smashing room."

I don't have issues with platforming in FPS either, don't get me wrong

I got Blue-Shift after its release in 2001 but can't remember how it costed me, euros weren't even there, but it was way bellow the 60 euros of Half-Life 2 I also got almost day one, I wanted this one so badly that the price didn't matter

I forgot : in Half-Life Alyx you can reload your shotgun the badass way and use it as a hand-grenade launcher after buying the related improvement and the grenades explodes instantly when hitting something

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 27 September 2021 - 07:41 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

According to these old pro reviews from ActionTrip and NeoSeeker that can be found on mobygames , Blue Shift was 30$ at launch; and those versions came with Opposing Forces and the HD models pack.

I'm pretty sure the version I bought at the time definitely didn't have OF, only the HD models pack, but even without it for this price I wouldn't call it a "rip-off".

This post has been edited by MetHy: 27 September 2021 - 08:13 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMetHy, on 27 September 2021 - 08:09 AM, said:

According to these old pro reviews from ActionTrip and NeoSeeker that can be found on mobygames , Blue Shift was 30$ at launch; and those versions came with Opposing Forces and the HD models pack.

I'm pretty sure the version I bought at the time definitely didn't have OF, only the HD models pack, but even without it for this price I wouldn't call it a "rip-off".

I don't know of a release that DIDN'T come with OpFor. Mine was a brand new big box. According to the Half-Life wiki:

The Blue Shift package offers the Half-Life High Definition Pack as an option at the time of install. The pack includes updated 3D characters, weapon and item models, often increasing the polygon count 10-fold over the 1998 originals. The U.S. Blue Shift release includes a full, stand-alone version of Opposing Force, but the international edition has the multiplayer-only Opposing Force CTF.

So I guess the US version (NA version really) came with OpFor but international versions didn't?

User is offline   MetHy 

There is the back of the box I had on mobygames as well:

Posted Image

It says it comes with the multiplayer content of OpFor

Indeed, that the box i bought back then

I also forgot to mention one difference between Half-Life Alyx and the previous games : a 4th difficulty setting, but in present days you take it as granted
This new difficulty setting is called "Story", perfect when you play it for the first time but you will never play it again then : insultingly easy, you can beat the entire game using only the pistol and still keep your ammo count maxed out for this weapon during the second half of the game while you will never ever reach the max ammo count for the shotgun and the overwatch rifle, and you will always find more resine than you need to get all of the improvements for your weapons if you look thoroughly to find them

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 28 September 2021 - 08:23 AM

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options