Duke4.net Forums: Half-Life corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half-Life corner

View Postgemeaux333, on 28 September 2021 - 08:16 AM, said:

Indeed, that the box i bought back then

I also forgot to mention one difference between Half-Life Alyx and the previous games : a 4th difficulty setting, but in present days you take it as granted
This new difficulty setting is called "Story", perfect when you play it for the first time but you will never play it again then : insultingly easy, you can beat the entire game using only the pistol and still keep your ammo count maxed out for this weapon during the second half of the game while you will never ever reach the max ammo count for the shotgun and the overwatch rifle, and you will always find more resine than you need to get all of the improvements for your weapons if you look thoroughly to find them

They probably had some game journalists as beta testers.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 28 September 2021 - 01:44 PM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

its almost like a headcrab could gibs from one pistol shot in Story mode, except nothings gibs anymore in Half-Life games since Half-Life 2

I haven't noticed a big difference between the easy and the medium modes, but they are both way more challenging/interesting than the story mode

I haven't tested the hard mode yet

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 29 September 2021 - 08:18 AM

User is offline   jkas789 

Hmm, Am I the only one who is suddenly not able to finish Black Mesa? Since the last update I can't for whatever reason play surface tension without crashing. Maybe my potato is just to old and weary.

I liked Black Mesa by the way. I though it was fun.

The shotgun from HLA can also be upgraded to be able to make a double shot, this is presented this way but its not how it works, you can make 2 successive shots by double-clicking the trigger... probably because designing a shotgun in VR is a pain in the grass and they couldn't figure out how to reproduce the double shot from previous games shotguns...

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Black Mesa is fantastic. Any version of it. I remember playing the mod when it was first released. I disliked how they basically cut out On A Rail and butchered Surface Tension, but there were mods for that. And at least they readded Surface Tension. And Xen is freaking amazing. Especially the soundtrack.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 September 2021 - 09:55 AM

Not gonna lie, just Xen is enough of a reason to at least give a try to Black Mesa

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 September 2021 - 09:55 AM, said:

...I disliked how they basically cut out On A Rail and butchered Surface Tension, but there were mods for that. And at least they readded Surface Tension....

ST was not finished since the mod version because one mapper went gone(or something I forgot) so they had to cut short of the scale of ST chapter(if I'm not mistake)...and that's why they redesign and re-add that back on retail release.

On A Rail was cut out to very short because I think most of BM devs didn't liked the original HL's OAR chapter for reasons(slow down the gameplay, boring, confusing on loop etc.)...the mapper who made the OAR uncut mod for BM later joined CC as Lead Level Designer but still decided to not add his OAR uncut mod/maps to the game. I personally fine with that but I can understand their reasons.

At least the mod still playable.
(Put the workshop link in case if someone want to try)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 01 October 2021 - 07:33 AM

indeed, the final release of Black Mesa was released before HLA, and its pretty much like the original games with all the improvements

The newest addition to HLA : the armored headcrab, can only be killed by shoting his belly when he expose it, and when he turned a human into zombi it make the fight even more convoluted :
https://www.facebook...795274530491318
the fast headcrab and poison headcrab belongs to the unused assets of the game

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 01 October 2021 - 07:41 AM

To be honest, I never enjoyed On A Rail.

*eratum* the poison hedcrabs are in HLA, and they tkake 3 times more punishment than the regular headcrabs

I have just finished the hard mode of HLA, ennemies are bullet sponges and deal more damages than in the other mods, 4 pistol shots to kill the weakest ennemies, the game will make you regret our reckless ammo management and your inaccuracy, grenades and aiming ennemies weak points (instakill when you hit it) are essential

Joueur du Grenier made a discovery video of HL:A on 04/11/2020 :

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 11 October 2021 - 06:54 PM

Just played Signal Lost, a beta-inspired Half-Life/ Uplink reimagined mod (game? it's standalone) made in Xash3D. The first "episode" is out, plus the first map of the second one. The levels are pretty big, doubt the vanilla hl engine could run them and not choke.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/signal-lost
Really good, my only gripe with it it's the slow weapon switching (kinda like Azure Sheep), it just annoys me.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 12 November 2021 - 12:08 PM

Look what i randomly found on Steam:
https://store.steamp...ion_Black_Mesa/
Seems it was added the 24th.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 27 December 2021 - 02:07 PM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

I wonder why Guard Duty isn't. Same developers, right?

View PostNinety-Six, on 27 December 2021 - 06:13 PM, said:

I wonder why Guard Duty isn't. Same developers, right?

Both the description and the "About This Game" (scroll down) imply that both projects got merged into one, so it's one game with 2 campaigns.
It probably happened because they feel that Guard Duty is too short to be called it's own game, Blue Shift already was too short for an expansion imo.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 27 December 2021 - 07:09 PM

Fair enough.

Posted Image
Finally this stupid meme made me laugh.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 07 January 2022 - 10:20 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

This is pretty incredible.

https://old.reddit.c..._in_halflife_2/

CoreyLaddo is about to provide a 5 hours unofficial DLC for Half-Life Alyx this summer

Half-Life Alyx Levitation

An hour of gameplay from cancelled Half-Life 2 Episode 4 : Ravenholm :

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Man, I was glad after I got out of that one map in the original campaign. An entire episode of it would have been a biiiit too much for me to handle, I think.

Should rather been rebuilt under Half-Life Alyx, it would make more sense

View PostNightFright, on 08 May 2022 - 01:15 PM, said:

Man, I was glad after I got out of that one map in the original campaign. An entire episode of it would have been a biiiit too much for me to handle, I think.

I think Arkane could have done a good job with it. Ravenholm has opportunity for more gameplay than just being a trap and grav gun playground.

I have just finished playing the most impressive mods for Half-Life Alyx this far : Return to Rapture 1 and 2 , based on Bioshock of course

• The Truth is in here

As much as I wished to play Alyx, I can't afford a VR set, especially for just one game. Also don't want to rent one, either. And that hack/mod that's out there that lets you play without VR takes away the main feature of the game, so that's also not a viable solution.

there are different types of VR sets with different prices and features... have you been thinking about purchasing a used one ?

there's also a handfull of really good VR games I can suggest you if you want more of them to make it worth playing in VR

Hunt Down The Freeman have finally been fixed thanks to the MESA Build
MESA is the poor guy who have been insuring the support of the game since its release, and at some extend taking the flaks, but thanks to his Patreon he have been able to get the money to fix the game, you can still pass by it to get the game instead of directly passing by Steam and make BERKAN slightly more money

• The Truth is in here

Wait, wasn't that the one with the legendary "You f***ed up my face" at the end, shooting the bad guy like dozens of times (who makes sounds like he's taking a shit every time he gets hit)?

yes thats the former one

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options