Duke4.net Forums: Half-Life corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half-Life corner

User is offline   Player Lin 

Played HTC, wow...just awesome, really so HL/Opfor feel, and I were not satisfied on the ending, until I knew there is a sequel! But both are too short, sadly, and the AL seems.....

Spoiler

well, it's not as good as HTC still good enough...at least it still plays like HL too, except my poor Jane only have 4 hp before the final battle starts, can't found more medikit/health station...oh well, don't know how I still manages to complete it...

BTW...nice DN3D and Blood references (in AL). lol

I hope there is other sequels...or maybe something different, but still plays like HTC and AL... :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 08 March 2018 - 06:23 AM

User is offline   Loke 

Thanks dude.

Autonomy Lost was kinda weird. While I'm happy with how most of the map aesthetic turned out the gameplay was a bit iffy especially in the final map with the lab setting. Half-Life is generally designed for smaller rooms and corridors otherwise you can cheat the AI too easily, i.e. standing back and sniping the enemies as they refuse to engage the player from a certain distance. I think Autonomy Lost would probably fit Half-Life 2 better (but I can't be bothered to learn the Source Engine).

View PostPlayer Lin, on 08 March 2018 - 05:54 AM, said:

except my poor Jane only have 4 hp before the final battle starts, can't found more medikit/health station...oh well, don't know how I still manages to complete it...

There's a health station near the key card although you possibly already used it prior to the final battle? The battle can be a bit hard but if you stay back and let the black op dudes and Xen aliens fight each other you can get away relatively safe (just clean up the leftovers).

I'm surprised no one, so far, has found the Half-Life: Nightwatch easter egg that I did. Although that mod is old as hell so people have probably forgotten about it. :)

View PostLoke, on 08 March 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

There's a health station near the key card although you possibly already used it prior to the final battle? The battle can be a bit hard but if you stay back and let the black op dudes and Xen aliens fight each other you can get away relatively safe (just clean up the leftovers).

Yes, I already used it up when I first see that station before get the key card(at <50 health so I decided to use it), and I were played on Easy...maybe my HL play skill just sucks after not played it for a while...I just use grenades to blow those aliens up, keep save/load if I needed/my poor Jane get killed...and finally go into the exit portal. B)

View PostLoke, on 08 March 2018 - 07:57 AM, said:

I'm surprised no one, so far, has found the Half-Life: Nightwatch easter egg that I did. Although that mod is old as hell so people have probably forgotten about it. :)

Shit, I never heard about that mod, try to google about it but seems it never completed(they decided change engine to Source and then just dead...)?

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 08 March 2018 - 08:10 AM

No one pointed out the umpteenth king gnome dickmove?

This is why you shouldn't hire someone only because social or mediatic fame. I doubt we'll see any admissions about the ability to act or excuses for contributing to the sponsorship of such a product from him.

Anyway, this edgy cringefest has overcome in charisma Full Life Consequences :)

User is offline   Loke 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 08 March 2018 - 08:09 AM, said:

Shit, I never heard about that mod, try to google about it but seems it never completed(they decided change engine to Source and then just dead...)?

Yeah, they switched engines and then it died. Biggest mistake they ever did, I bet they regret that decision. Funnily it reminds me of a certain other game...

View PostLoke, on 08 March 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

Funnily it reminds me of a certain other game...

......which I think so many here already talked that shit so much and I have enough of that. :)
Unless you mean something else, the one I think at least released, not just never see any of light...

--

Too bad, HL:Nightwatch looks so cool...and then they just screwed that up...what a shame... B)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 08 March 2018 - 09:07 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Gabe Newell: Valve is going to start shipping games again:
http://www.gameinfor...ames-again.aspx
I'll believe it when I see it, Gabe!

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 09 March 2018 - 02:38 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, but who's to say it won't be just more smaller-scale (but micro-transaction-heavy) games like Artifact?

Call me when they actually want to make something like HL/Portal. :)

User is offline   ---- 

He said the word "quiver" in the interview (EDIT: At the PC Gamer source).

<insert HL3 confirmed comment here>

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 09 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I've always believed that when the time was right, Valve would put Half-Life 3 out the same way they did Half-Life 2. All the rumors and leaks have indicated CS:S, L4D3, TF2, etc all being moved to Source 2. To me, porting all the old games to the new tech, having the tools ready to go, and putting out Half-Life 3 as a the main course for single-player people would be the smartest way to go. Whether it plays out that way, who can say? I don't blame Valve for playing it safe. They've kept their platform pretty open, which has given us a lot of great indie stuff and kept their system profitable and ever expanding.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

What would be fun, is if someone were to take the Half Nukem mod, replace the HRP content with new stuff. Then remove all the HEV suit sounds and graphics from the HUD. Port it all to Source and then start making some Duke-styled deathmatch maps - maybe even some single player content.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 09 March 2018 - 10:54 AM

• Judge Mental

I actually sent him a message on Moddb and told him he had my permission to transfer whatever he wanted into his project, as long as the DNC team was credited. At least then, the stuff would get full use.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Actually, it's CS:GO they put on source 2...

From the mod "Half-Life 2: Aftermath" (from Tyler McVicker among other) containing many assets from EP3 and HL3, you find out that most of these elements are not very well handle by Source, you have strong probabilities to have the game to crash, especially when it comes to the 3 ressources system, most likely to have been designed for Source 2...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 10 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostCommando Nukem, on 09 March 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

I've always believed that when the time was right, Valve would put Half-Life 3 out the same way they did Half-Life 2. All the rumors and leaks have indicated CS:S, L4D3, TF2, etc all being moved to Source 2. To me, porting all the old games to the new tech, having the tools ready to go, and putting out Half-Life 3 as a the main course for single-player people would be the smartest way to go. Whether it plays out that way, who can say? I don't blame Valve for playing it safe. They've kept their platform pretty open, which has given us a lot of great indie stuff and kept their system profitable and ever expanding.

I can't really blame Valve either since a lot has happened with Steam since HL2 Ep2 came out, it's just a bit sad that the success of Steam kinda killed off Valve as a game developer. If you look at Sony or Microsoft those guys are making quality titles for their own platforms and I think PC would benefit a lot from the same treatment from Valve too. Their multiplayer focused games have a huge audience but they are in a position where they could make a PC focused, Steam exclusive single player FPS and it would sell like hotcakes. Really if you have a look at what games other large studios put out there are only a few where you start playing and say "oh yes, this truly feels like a PC game". When it comes to AAA FPS really I could only think of MachineGames' Wolfenstein games and Doom 2016 where I felt that mouse and keyboard controls were a high priority during development. Half-Life 3 could fill that void, maybe even better than Bethesda does.

A new Portal would also be nice, I love and regularly replay the first two.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 10 March 2018 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   Toxic34 

I hope that Valve gets themselves in gear again. Valve is very much needed in the developers' world now, and sadly missed.

• The Sarien Encounter

I've been thinking about how Valve could go about a Half-Life 3 game given the fact that Laidlaw is no longer there and pretty much leaked the essence of what Episode 3 would have been. They could pick up at the tail end of "Episode 3". There'd be a short campaign kind of like the beginning of a James Bond film where Gordon is nearing the end of the adventure. They've already found the Borealis and there's a battle going on and he has to go find some item or other to trigger the final event or whathaveyou and then defend like the end of Nova Prospect or something. Then there's a boss-like confrontation with....something Combine-related. Maybe an Advisor, since they killed Eli. Gordon wins the battle but there's something that goes wrong with the Borealis or something. Gman shows up and takes Alyx away before things go nuclear, leaving Gordon all alone to die in the explosion. But then the Vorts come and take him, but they don't quite do it in time...the Borealis explodes...transdimensionally or something scientific like that. The Vorts only half-pulled him out of the timeline so the event shifts him to an alternate dimension away from Earth. Then the title comes up "Half-Life 3" and fades in with Gordon on Xen, specifically the Vortigaunt homeworld or something. And he has to deal with Vorts who don't like him because of what happened at Black Mesa. Perhaps we can see some Xen alien grunts return from HL1 or something. And the main campaign gets him caught up in another story entirely and isn't able to find out what happened to Alyx or the Gman or whether Earth is finally safe from the Combine or not. Maybe throughout the story he connects with some creatures, friendly Vortigaunts or not, who say they can help him get back to Earth and maybe he gets some story beat moments where little spurts of intrigue in true Half-Life fashion show themselves causing you to want to progress further. None of it is the point of HL3, though. The ending would involve overcoming whatever oppression the Vorts are facing. Probably Combine. And he helps free their planet/homeworld/rock in space/wherever they live in Xen. Perhaps the ending could involve travelling to the Combine dimension itself and attacking them there and maybe his efforts against the Combine there would help Earth somehow. Maybe they're on the verge of opening a portal to Earth themselves finally (they couldn't do this in HL2). Anyway, maybe it would hint at a returning to Earth for unfinished business with the Gman at last...which would take place in HL4.

Course, HL always had a neat gameplay element to show off as well. And I have no idea what that would be.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Here's a neat video of Half-Life's low-key launch party back in 1998. The game's art director talks about Chuck Jones' contributions and the game's Duke Nukem lineage. It's amazing to see how much of an influence Valve have had on the games industry in the following 20 years.

User is offline   MetHy 

I just played both Hunting The Cunt and Automony Lost after reading about it in this thread. Overall I enjoyed it but I felt like a few simple things could have made it much better. I don't play a lot of HL mods so maybe these are common things, I don't know.

In Hunting The Cunt, the part near the start where you have to jump above the fence and then move the box... I knew what I had to do but I spent more time trying to understand what the mapper precisely wanted me to do. For one thing, there are plenty of barrels and other small crates which in HL you should be able to move, and which you can find all around the room there, but here you're only allowed to move that one precise box. Then, jumping above the fence... somehow it felt like I should have been able to jump over the fence itself, and not just the door, and since the door isn't just in front of the boxes and you have to pull some weird strafe jump, that didn't occur to me at first and gave up on the idea after seeing I couldn't jump above the fence itself. After that I spent a while trying to find a spot where I'd be able to reach the decorative vents and pillars near the ceiling, because that really looked like I was supposed to do that too, for instance the lights were low, and from a box, it looked like I should have been able to jump to on the lights and then reach the vents/pillars.

I wasn't particularly found of the fight in the dark against the Spec Ops either since they have a much better sight than we do, basically the moment you notice them you can't avoid a shot, and there wasn't enough grenades to throw them in the dark. I think trip mines would have been cool here.

In AL, the difference of quality can really stick out sometimes between the original textures and the new, higher res ones you used.
Also there were two moments when you get to fight Alien Grunts from a higher ground. Both times their shots would glitch through the ground if I took cover, and remained there a while, in such a way that if I walked up I'd get hit by them. For instance here, their shots would get stuck where my crosshair is:
http://steamcommunit.../?id=1328024749

Finally, what you said about picking up enemies from the distance is way too true. For instance the last fight in the gigantic room, enemies spawn before you enter the room, and with absolutely nothing to take cover in the room, going in would have been suicide so it was all about picking up everyone from the door. Missed opportunity here; a few simple spots with cover and supplies, and maybe have enemies spawn once you're in the room, and things would have been much better.

Anyway - I enjoyed it overall, good job

This post has been edited by MetHy: 11 March 2018 - 08:31 AM

I actually think that EP3 events are going to be a part of HL3 (if its not the main frame)...

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

https://www.rockpape...ng-games-again/

“We’ve always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo,” Newell said in a presentation regarding Artifact and the Valve corporation as a whole. “When Miyamoto is sitting down and thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario, he’s thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities. He can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things. And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because he’s designing the software at the same time that’s really going to take advantage of it. So that is something we’ve been jealous of, and that’s something that you’ll see us taking advantage of subsequently.”

Interesting.

• Judge Mental

So I had a dream a long while ago about a version of Half-Life 2 that was actually much closer to Half-Life 1. Something along the lines of what "Resident Evil 1.5" was to Resident Evil 2. The initial portion of the game was much more in line with a Black Mesa-type environment. An old military installation. Part of that dream I actually dreamt again last night.

There was this sequence, early in the game, where you're fighting through some kind of an installation/bunker. There are Portal storms and all kinds of XEN creatures pouring in everywhere. Very similar to the resonance cascade.

It had the player walk through this door way into a multi leveled room. You come out onto this flat area with some crates and then to the left there's a railing going across the area you're standing on, part of it has been broken. If you go over and look out, you're looking down a concrete slope into a channel filled with gently moving water. There's a scientist hanging on near the bottom of the slope, Looks like he got cut up on the railing on the way down. Suddenly, one of the ichthyosaurs comes out of the water, snatches the scientist, and starts thrashing him.

I have a very strong dislike of those guys, and I hate water sections in Half-Life. They really unnerve me for some reason. Something about the murky water, the unpredictable AI, and the idea of water flooding and taking over what used to be lived in space. It all messes with me. I often have dreams about some kind of a post-war STARLKERish world where water mains have broken and flooded buildings I have to navigate, and it always disturbs me greatly in dreams. Terrifies me.

So at this point in the dream, i'm curious. I only have a crowbar for a weapon, this is right near the beginning of the game... So I decide to cheat and get all the weapons. I started chucking grenades at the huge fish. Eventually itchy blows up, and so does something else under the water. A huge explosion with groaning metal and shakes goes on for several seconds. The water begins to rise. If you swim through the open hole it reveals an entire secret branching path of the game that goes on for at least an hour.

So strange how real it felt.

• The Sarien Encounter

That's what I loved about Half-Life. Everything was terrifying and you were just stumbling around trying to survive and find a way out. Destructible environments (whether by random accident or something on your or an enemy/friend's part) led to further areas of progression. Sounds like a fun map you dreamt up. :)

The more I see walkthrough of Hunt Down The Freeman, the more I wan't to play it as "just see for yourself"...

• Judge Mental

For the love of God don't give that thing any more money.

Not right now at least :) !

User is offline   ---- 

Zero Punctuation (Yahtzee) reviews HDTF.

5 days old, but I thought it was funny and spot on:

http://www.escapistm...ation-Half-Life

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 26 March 2018 - 02:39 AM

Doing one of these two things would have made the whole product more enjoyable and tolerable. :)

The mod will be fixed in the future, and when it comes to the assets : "Imitation is the most sincere flattery's form" as MacGyver would say !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 27 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

• Judge Mental

View Postgemeaux333, on 27 March 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

The mod will be fixed in the future, and when it comes to the assets : "Imitation is the most sincere flattery's form" as MacGyver would say !

It isn't imitation. It's literal theft.

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options