Duke4.net Forums: Half-Life corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half-Life corner

User is online   Rellik 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 31 July 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

For assassins because of their speed, I don't try to hunt them down because you'll get slaughtered. I stay in areas where they can only come at me from one direction and force them to come to me. I did this a lot with human enemies because of their mobility.

I basically ran down the narrow hall into the room laying trip mines as I ran.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

That's the problem with trip mines. Much like in Duke3d, it's hard to set traps because the enemies tend not to fall into them like a human player would, so it comes down to having an enemy just the right distance behind you chasing you, you placing it on the wall as you're running away and having it activate just as the enemy runs into the beam. They don't get much use from me for that reason.

User is offline   MetHy 

There was only one moment in the entire mod when I thought of used the trip mines. At the end of the Questionable Ethics chapter, you get outside and fight soldiers. Then you go through a tunnel and you have the choice between the road, and a pedestrian path on its right. That path is quite narrow and several soldiers will come running, when I saw them rushing towards me I backtracked while placing tripmines on the wall and waited for them to explode.

That's still more than I ever used them in HL1 though.

View PostHendricks266, on 31 July 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

I bound a key to a toggle for setting the FOV to something like 15, effectively making the revolver into a sniper rifle that I could use to headshot enemies from afar.

The magnum is incredibly accurate in BMS. In the dam area, which is quite huge, I was picking soldiers which were on the dam from the other side of the area.

Except from the crossbow, which arrows felt slower to me and with a greater downward movement angle than in HL1 (but then again, it's been long), every other weapon felt incredibly more accurate.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 31 July 2016 - 11:15 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Daily reminder that this game S U C K S.

Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

I replayed BMS doing the hat achievement and I have to say that I was perhaps a little harsh about it. I did have a good time, and on my 2nd playthrough I realized how several places had side paths (Office Complex, Surface Tension) which I thought was really cool.

I still think all the little things I complain about stand, especially enemy behaviour should be heavily improved, and balance a little as well. Alien Grunts got the best upgrade I feel, just four of their shots can take 100 hp and they're very hard to dodge (and then when you use their weapon yourself, it's the weakest one but whatever).

Edit : when compared to the original game, gameplay is smaller, not as hectic

This post has been edited by MetHy: 02 August 2016 - 01:26 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

According to the last news, Half-LIfe 3 could be released in 2018 with full VR support !

Never believe in anything HL3/Ep3-related until the game is in your hands, o young one.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postgemeaux333, on 02 August 2016 - 04:20 AM, said:

According to the last news, Half-LIfe 3 could be released in 2018 with full VR support !

Unless Valve official said it, or I don't care.
(Even they said, it still not always accurate at all.)

Call me when it actually happens. :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 02 August 2016 - 05:08 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Omg guys Half Life 3 is out!

Oh wait, no, it was just the second coming of Christ. Ah well statistically it was more likely to happen anyway.

User is offline   ---- 

View Postgemeaux333, on 02 August 2016 - 04:20 AM, said:

If it was news instead of a rumour it would be all over every news outlet, blog etc by now.

Waiting for HL3 made me understand how Christ's followers must have felt following his death and revival.

It is most likely to happen for the 20th anniversary of the first game...

I think the most we'll get is a "Thanks for staying with us!" on the TF2 blog, maybe a Half-Life-themed item for Team Fortress 2 if we're lucky.

The only thing to look forward to is how Marphy Black will celebrate Half-Life's 20th anniversary.

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 02 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 July 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

What co-op element are you talking about? The security guards to obey you on command and will follow you and attack enemies. It's just that the scientist's don't really open doors for you unless it's scripted.

Well, during the early stages of Black Mesa they stated they'd include Co-op Mutiplayer through the campaign. However, after realizing the complications involved they ended up pulling it out. Back in the late 90's I remember playing Half-life through the campaign with a friend using a mod called Sven Co-op. While this worked each level needed to be loaded separately and it wasn't a seamless transition between loading screens\levels. Maybe Sevin co-op will add multiplayer to Black Mesa? Who knows? http://www.svencoop.com/ I enjoyed Co-op play with these type of games.

Looks like I found the answer to my own question in their FAQ:
Is Sven Co-op 2 for the Source Engine ever going to come out?
A: There are no plans to resurrect the Sven Co-op 2 project. The team wants to focus on making Sven Co-op as great as it can be, and with engine access being available, the team has the freedom to make any changes to the game�s capabilities that we want. Starting essentially from scratch on the Source engine would be a ton of work and we would be limited by the lack of engine access, and on top of that, there are already several HL2 coop mods available that have a huge head start.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 02 August 2016 - 08:10 AM

When you look at Duke Nukem Forever and Ghosbusters, you see that everything happen someday even if it takes time !

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postgemeaux333, on 02 August 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

When you look at Duke Nukem Forever and Ghosbusters, you see that everything happen someday even if it takes time !

Not sure if you chose two intentionally subpar (or perhaps at-best average) examples for your post.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Since Sven Co-op just "patched" the original HL1's all SP maps to made them working for the mod(and some other mods), I won't surprised something got broken/not smooth in level transition, and it even worse if the ping IS getting high. :P

And due the game was just not designed for Co-op(even the patched maps for Sven Co-op), it still have some problems like script just broken/goes ape-shit, player(s) get killed for no reasons or un-killable enemies/players......I'm not surprise they give up about working on Source engine. B)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 03 August 2016 - 04:12 AM

Well, Warcraft : The Begginig is a better example, 10 years from the first talks to the cinema release !

User is offline   Loke 

Cut/redone content from Episode Two.

This cut content is based on the first version with Alyx getting seriously wounded by falling as you see it in the first trailers of episode two, abandoned because considered not credible when you know the character of Alyx !
The white forest siege had elite soldiers too in the first drafts, but then it was decided that hunters and striders are a sufficient challenge !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 12 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

I think it was abandoned in favor of introducing the Hunter at the start to make the player feel vengeful against the Hunters later on.

Also, there's a lot of platforming sections, and that's never a good thing.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I like platforming. But I'm good at it. I never noticed that there were no elite soldiers in Ep2. I remember seeing them in Mossman's message, but it never dawned on me that they weren't actually in the game. The hunters were great on their own. IT was nice to have so much new content in Ep2 and not see much repetition from earlier games, unlike Ep1.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I'm glad somebody took the time to make a standalone installer to preserve SMOD, sucks that all the HL2 engine updates break so many old mods

Half-Life 2 meets F.E.A.R.

So it'll have been 12 years since Half-Life 2, as of this November. And 9 years since the Orange Box (HL2: Episode 2) if we want to be nicer, in October. I wonder why they don't get the flack and jokes that often, when even Daikatana got jokes for taking a while, when in reality Daikatana took what, three years to make?

I think that a lot of people just don't even believe HL3 exists, and them not having put out any trailers etc is why people joke less. Or maybe because Valve is the kingpin of PC gaming and people don't want to mess with Gabe. :P

Considering Valve has more cashflow than ever (they get a piece of pretty much every PC game sold!), I really don't see why they wouldn't put some resources into making a game that they know will be a hit. So despite their talked about offbeat internal process where they kinda make whatever they feel like, I do believe there is a team somewhere working on HL3.

Maybe it's been quietly scrapped a few times, like DNF but just unannounced. But I bet it'll happen at some point. But really, we know how disorganized/independent 3DR was for their ambitious game. Valve is big and professional, so I actually think it's even less excusable if they don't get Half-Life 3 out there for the fans. Though again, I think they will some day. Hopefully it's sometime in the next few years though.

At the very least, Half-Life 2: Episode 3 was announced (an episodic trilogy), so we know that was worked on and scrapped at some point. My guess is after years went by and/or their ideas got more ambitious, they decided just skipping to a full-on Half-Life 3 would make more sense. Either way, whether we see HL3 in the near future or not, I hope we hear more about what went down behind the scenes.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 26 August 2016 - 11:16 PM

Ion Storm didn't exactly win any extra sympathy with the infamous ad. It gave people an axe to grind so that when the game came out they could slaughter it.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 26 August 2016 - 11:17 PM

View Postdeuxsonic, on 26 August 2016 - 11:14 PM, said:

Ion Storm didn't exactly win any extra sympathy with the infamous ad. It gave people an axe to grind so that when the game came out they could slaughter it.

At least that ad is really funny. :P

According to wikipedia, In a March 2010 interview, Newell spoke of "broadening the emotional palette" of the series, and how the next Half-Life game may return to "genuinely scaring the player". Then years later he said that thing about Valve focusing less on making full games etc. You gotta keep your promises Gabe, where's this scary Half-Life game with the big emotional palette?? (Imagine the emotions Gordon will have)

I just wanna get to the bottom of the G-Man thing, and for Gordon not to be left hanging.

And spoilers for the new DOOM game's ending:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 26 August 2016 - 11:22 PM

User is offline   ---- 

HL3 Conclusion:

It turns out that the original race that became the Combine was almost entirely wiped out by another alien race (Let's call it Race X for the fun of it). So the survivors started a jouney across the galaxy, gathering and combining technology from various races to become strong enough to beat Race X that once attacked their planet.
The Vorts couldn't be "coimbined" into their technology for some reason, so they were enslaved by the Combine.
With the portalstorms the Combine found Earth and wanted to set it up as their final base of of operations, lure that evel alien race to earth and defeat it with all the tech they gathered. Unfortunately the Combine get defeated by Gordon before (with tech found in the Borealis where they headed at the end of EP. 2) and so the human race will soon face the arrival of Race X (this time with a giant Spaceship instead through portals).
G-Man resurrects Adrian too and together Adrian, Gordon and Alyx need to find a way to defeat Race X.

The Vortigaunts may have the solution on their home planet, so they travel there. On the Vorts' planet the following is revealed: A large group of Vortigaunts were the ones that created and became the Combine as it were the Vorts that initially got almost wiped out by Race X. The Vortigaunts had a secret strikeforce for such instances hidden in a giant, sealed cave below the surface. WHen that strikeforce was called, their leader of that force who is named Nihilanth saw no chance in defeating Race X and escaped with his soldiers and minions to Xen.
Back to the Combine: When they continued their centuries taking journey through the galaxy they already had forgotten that they originally were the Vortigaunts and so they tried to include the Vortigaunts' abilities into their collective which didn't work due to the powers of the Vorts that are similar the Combines'. So they were enslaved

Anyways: With the Vorts' powers, tech taken from the defeated Combine, the powers and wit of Alyx, Adrian and Gordon the evil Race X can be defeated too.

Where did Race X originate from:
Originally there was only one lifeform in this galaxy: a living liquid that was basically one large lake on a planet. It was some sort of collective brain. Billions of years ago an astroid crashed there and threw chunks of this living liquid into space. After billions of years travelling frozen through space a lot of chunks crashed on several planets creating life as we know it there. So all civilisations originated from there.
Within the billions of years that one lifeform developed to create portals too and let chunks of it travel through space. It saw that the humanoid lifeforms became the dominant form of life in this galaxy, having wars everywhere, developing powers beyond the one ones of the liquid lifeform. So they genetically altered lifeforms which became Race X to erase all other lifeforms in the galaxy and become the primary lifeform again. When that plan failed a chunk of this liquid took over the brain of a human being and set up a war where all the races erase each other. That person is known to us as the G-Man.

The final bossfight is against a giant monster taken over by the liquid. When that monster is defeated a portalstorm opens and throws Gordon billions of years into the past. He falls into that very lake that later developed the liquid lifeform. Fortunately ha can be taken back to our time by Dr. Kleiner. But his contact with the plain water in that lake caused life in the galaxy to exist (it would be cooler if Duke pees into that lake but he is in another franchise, I am afraid).

Some stuff needs to be adjusted to not contradict stuff happening in the games ... but that's just some finetuning in the story.

Now somebody make a mod of this and we are done with HL.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 27 August 2016 - 01:37 AM

Half-Life 2 : Episode Four was intended to be made by Arkane Studio (french studio), and although the work done on it was promising (recent videos and artworks) the cooperation bettwenn Valve and Arkane didn't last very long...

User is offline   HulkNukem 

They were also working on The Crossing with Valve helping/publishing, and what it sounded like is kinda what eventually became Destiny and The Division, a cross between singleplayer and multiplayer at the same time.

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options