• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half-Life corner

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh wow!

User is offline   Lunick 

A friend released a tool today that converts the Half-Life map format on PS2 .bs2 to the PC format .bsp https://github.com/Triang3l/BS2PC

Posted Image
This is Basement, one of the exclusive DM maps.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Look like that, even if we won't see another Half-Life of Portal in the foreseeing future, we are closer than ever to have Half-Life and Portal movies !

Just that it will be JJ Abrams to direct and some peoples seems less enthousiastic now since they have seen Star Wars Episode 7...

View Postgemeaux333, on 14 June 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

Look like that, even if we won't see another Half-Life of Portal in the foreseeing future, we are closer than ever to have Half-Life and Portal movies !

Just that it will be JJ Abrams to direct and some peoples seems less enthousiastic now since they have seen Star Wars Episode 7...

Why? Episode 7 was fucking awesome

• The Sarien Encounter

Agreed.

Because I read almost everywhere than even the Episodes 1-2-3 were better compared to Episode 7, and some of them worries about Half-Life and Portal being directed by JJ Abrams by the way...

But I assume the style of JJ Abrams would feet for battle scenes in Half-Life...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 15 June 2017 - 12:05 PM

View Postgemeaux333, on 15 June 2017 - 12:01 PM, said:

Because I read almost everywhere than even the Episodes 1-2-3 were better compared to Episode 7

Ive never met anyone with taste that shit

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostCaptain Kupo, on 15 June 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

Ive never met anyone with taste that shit

Oh, I know people with taste worse than that, people who actually like Episode VII for example.

Spoiler

For as bad as the dialog was in the prequel trilogy (and damn, it really was at times), at least they were not a ripoff of the first Star Wars and actually had new content to bring to the table.
Besides that, no Mary Sue included.

View PostLkMax, on 15 June 2017 - 03:48 PM, said:

Oh, I know people with taste worse than that, people who actually like Episode VII for example.

Spoiler

For as bad as the dialog was in the prequel trilogy (and damn, it really was at times), at least they were not a ripoff of the first Star Wars and actually had new content to bring to the table.
Besides that, no Mary Sue included.

The prequels are a cancer stop fooling yourself

All they did was fuck up all the worldbuilding and story of the original movies

Im glad lucas is gone and id take a solid story with fun characters that might have some rehashed elements thats executed well over any of the prequels anyday

(Rogue one's lame though, huge let down)

This post has been edited by Captain Kupo: 16 June 2017 - 05:08 AM

It only show that Georges Lucas likes to experiment, and the only thing he get for that is critics...

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, well, he experimented with Star Wars and his experiment failed. Your work is worth nothing if people don't like it.

Rogue One wasn't a great movie, but the final 30 minutes are some of the best in any Star Wars film. I think the space battle alone rivals even Jedi's. And then there's the immortal Vader scene where everyone finally got to see him at his deadliest. A perfect antithesis to the whiny "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" from Sith.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 June 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

Yeah, well, he experimented with Star Wars and his experiment failed. Your work is worth nothing if people don't like it.

Rogue One wasn't a great movie, but the final 30 minutes are some of the best in any Star Wars film. I think the space battle alone rivals even Jedi's. And then there's the immortal Vader scene where everyone finally got to see him at his deadliest. A perfect antithesis to the whiny "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" from Sith.

Rogue ones biggest strengths were visuals and general world building stuff for sure

Im kinda torn on the darth vader scene, mostly because i feel like the lead into e4 is kinda forced and the darth vader lightsaber scene comes off a bit too much like "WOAH ITS A STAR WARS MOVIE GOTTA HAVE A LIGHTSABER", but its still badass

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't think it was the need to see a lightsaber, I think it was more about Vader himself. Fulfilling fans' dreams to see him for once FINALLY causing major destruction and death in his suit and mask and this was the perfect opportunity to finally do it.

User is offline   Loke 

New Xen screens from Black Mesa.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It has also been pushed back:

Unfortunately, as some of you may have already predicted, we are going to need to push back our planned release of Xen to later this year, in December. We know that this is not what anyone would want to hear, but after taking a long and hard look at what we want to achieve, we have decided that this is for the best. We do not want to compromise on Xen?s quality in any way. That said, we consider December to be a do-or-die deadline.

https://steamcommuni...873904708195662

User is offline   LkMax 

Xen was much more green and brown than it was blue, not sure how I feel about yet another change of direction compared to the original game.
Then again I'm in the (possible) minority who liked Xen in HL and its expansions. I won't yet judge based solely on two pictures though.

View PostCaptain Kupo, on 16 June 2017 - 08:12 AM, said:

the darth vader lightsaber scene comes off a bit too much like "WOAH ITS A STAR WARS MOVIE GOTTA HAVE A LIGHTSABER", but its still badass

He's Darth Vader, that always has been his weapon of choice.
Making Finn use one on TFA, on the other hand...

User is offline   Loke 

View PostLkMax, on 20 June 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

Then again I'm in the (possible) minority who liked Xen in HL and its expansions.

Apart from the tedious vent crawling the Xen chapter in Blue Shift was pretty damn fun. Definitely the highlight of an otherwise pretty dull game.

• The Sarien Encounter

I think it looks great! I do hope for some variety as well though. Hopefully, if they're not planning on it, fan feedback will encourage them to try a bit more cariety.

View PostLkMax, on 20 June 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

Xen was much more green and brown than it was blue, not sure how I feel about yet another change of direction compared to the original game.
Then again I'm in the (possible) minority who liked Xen in HL and its expansions. I won't yet judge based solely on two pictures though.

He's Darth Vader, that always has been his weapon of choice.
Making Finn use one on TFA, on the other hand...

Darth vader never brought out his lightsaber until his duels at the end of each of the films

Vader could have easily killed everyone there without using his lightsaber imo, it brings it into a movie that had no actual lightsabers otherwise

Not sure what that has to do with finn, it didnt feel as forced(heh) to have him fighting the stormtroopers because the audience was supposed to be led to believe that finn was going to end up with it up until he got his ass kicked when he tried to go up against kylo (not that he didnt hold his own for a bit)

On topic: im liking the look of xen, i havent been following bm's development too closely but im glad itll FINALLY be finished

This post has been edited by Captain Kupo: 20 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

You're missing the point, man. Everyone wanted to see Darth Vader in his prime. Finally. At last. It was not just a poor excuse to throw a lightsaber in a movie. Besides, lightsabers are awesome! Why wouldn't you want one? It's a small scene. If it helps you, I'm sure we won't be seeing any sabers in Young Han Solo. I wouldn't have had a problem with Finn using the lightsaber for a bit if they hadn't plastered that all over the posters and artwork as if he was the main person who was going to be using it when EVERYONE KNEW that it was going to be Rey instead.

That's all I wanted to derail with. Really looking forward to Xen.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 20 June 2017 - 08:34 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I expected Vader to be in the movie a lot more than he was.

Didn't BM's original release have some guy saying he'd eat his shoe if it didn't happen by a certain date, and then it got postponed past that date?

User is offline   Jblade 

I feel like they're missing the point of Xen by adding human stuff to it - it just feels like a lazy way out to making a video game level. The whole point of Xen was to create a truly alien environment that wasn't made with human navigation in mind, necessitating the usage of the long jump. The slaves weren't native to Xen either, which really loops back into enforcing their 'slave' aspect as well. There's no way for them to escape, much like a human would be kinda screwed if they were stuck there too.

I hated how the XP packs just made Xen really mundane and let you walk around without a hazard suit or anything.

View PostJblade, on 21 June 2017 - 03:43 AM, said:

I hated how the XP packs just made Xen really mundane and let you walk around without a hazard suit or anything.

It was never implied that the atmosphere in Xen was dangerous or inhospitable to humans, even in the first game. Part of this notion is implicit as it provides an explanation as to why all of the alien life that came from Xen can also survive on Earth, but there's also a very explicit demonstration of this in HL1 as a normal, non-suit wearing scientist can be found hiding in Xen during the Nihilanth battle.

The presence of human hardware is logical, as there have been expeditions in Xen for a while, collecting samples, until they got collected themselves !

Just like the hell dimension in DOOM series

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostMarphy Black, on 21 June 2017 - 04:48 AM, said:

It was never implied that the atmosphere in Xen was dangerous or inhospitable to humans, even in the first game. Part of this notion is implicit as it provides an explanation as to why all of the alien life that came from Xen can also survive on Earth, but there's also a very explicit demonstration of this in HL1 as a normal, non-suit wearing scientist can be found hiding in Xen during the Nihilanth battle.

I don't like it either way, even if it was already there in HL1. It works better as a hostile place or at least somewhere that humans shouldn't be in for extended periods of time without a HEV or a haz-mat suit.

The presence of human hardware is logical, as there have been expeditions in Xen for a while, collecting samples, until they got collected themselves !

Xen is supposed to be a hostile place, having human stuff lying around makes it feel less alien and threatening. When you leave Black Mesa, you leave all of Earth behind - having human tech and scaffolding lying around just robs the place of it's impact. It's more interesting if they could only make really quick trips there and back again rather than being able to set up camp there.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 21 June 2017 - 06:14 AM

User is offline   ---- 

I would find "yet another unexplored world" completely boring.

And dead humans over there doesn't make it less horrible, IMHO.

To me the backstory also gives something to explore and find out*, instead of "oh, now I fight the same monsters ,who came from this world into ours for the damn whole game, but I see a different ground-texture and a new skybox".

*) which is a "trademark" of HL.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 21 June 2017 - 07:48 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostJblade, on 21 June 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

I don't like it either way, even if it was already there in HL1. It works better as a hostile place or at least somewhere that humans shouldn't be in for extended periods of time without a HEV or a haz-mat suit.

Xen is supposed to be a hostile place, having human stuff lying around makes it feel less alien and threatening. When you leave Black Mesa, you leave all of Earth behind - having human tech and scaffolding lying around just robs the place of it's impact. It's more interesting if they could only make really quick trips there and back again rather than being able to set up camp there.

That may be what you prefer, but it's not canon. That's like saying Star Wars would have been better if it had flying horses. It just didn't exist. A little outlandish of an example, but the point is that Xen is perfectly habitable and it's never not been. You can't just add stuff to the lore because it "makes more sense" or something. It's not the way it was written. So, no, it's not the way it was "supposed" to be. Freeman had a Hazard Suit in HL1 but he never did have a helmet nor did he need one. And it only makes sense that the humans would set up camps and such to make experiments to this new alternate dimension they've discovered. Just like hell in Doom, as someone else mentioned.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

The Half-Life series in movie/cinematic mode (in french) :

https://www.youtube....EB-zPTzmZ9YM65x

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 23 June 2017 - 11:05 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 21 June 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

That may be what you prefer, but it's not canon. That's like saying Star Wars would have been better if it had flying horses. It just didn't exist. A little outlandish of an example, but the point is that Xen is perfectly habitable and it's never not been. You can't just add stuff to the lore because it "makes more sense" or something. It's not the way it was written. So, no, it's not the way it was "supposed" to be. Freeman had a Hazard Suit in HL1 but he never did have a helmet nor did he need one. And it only makes sense that the humans would set up camps and such to make experiments to this new alternate dimension they've discovered. Just like hell in Doom, as someone else mentioned.

Exactly. It was always hinted in Half-Life that humans were exploring and experimenting in Xen long before Gordon Freeman makes it there himself. It makes sense for there to be some encampments set up in various regions of the border world.

This post has been edited by Striker: 21 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

User is offline   Loke 

Started work on a map pack for Half-Life, you can follow it here: http://www.moddb.com...s/autonomy-lost

One map is finished so far (excluding balancing). I'm planning on having at least 4 maps, though I might split some maps as well since you can't have too large maps in vanilla Half-Life, it's actually pretty limited which sucks.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 21 June 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

I think you're taking what I said far too literally man - I personally feel like Xen is a better environment if it's not fit for human life. I like it that way, I'm not trying to claim that it's canon because it's not important to the storyline. I, my own subjective opinion, think Xen as a environment and a end cap to Half-Life's campaign, works better if it's a completely alien environment with little evidence of mankind's presence there. That's what I think Valve were aiming for when they designed Xen and added in the long jump module, I'm not trying to claim any kind of authority on canon or whatever.

Xen is one of my favourite parts of Half-life and I absolutely adore the franchise, I want to clarify, so there's no need to get defensive about this. As a fan of the series, these are my own interpretations of what Valve were aiming for when they made Xen. I'm not saying it's correct, Raising the Bar doesn't go into a huge amount of depth IIRC about the creation of Xen. These are just my theories about it's creation and intent.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 14 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options