Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3d Enemy and Character Sprite Variants - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3d Enemy and Character Sprite Variants  "Sprite variants I drew for fun"

Right. This discussion about slime babes could go on and on but please, save it for another board. As an artist, I'll just provide users/modders with varieties if they choose to make their game in the the way the want. It's up to them if they want to use all my sprites/ideas or not. I'm just providing the art so people can add more to their mods.

Some progress updates:
I'm working on an armored pig (original unit) and giving him lots of different functions. He'll start with a shield. After it breaks he can move faster, potential leap and charge at you. With all the armor, he almost looks like he can be a space marine pig (which could make a pig in space levels make more sense).
I haven't started on the Flying Cycloid yet. I image once I render his wings, the rest will be easy.
The slime monster is almost ready but I'm holding off showing it in case I think of some more cool ideas.
Bombshell is nearly done.
Soon, I'll release the Mega Octabrain boss once I look over him again.
In another topic, I think I got my NPC girl ready, so I'll start cranking out clothed,undies,nude versions as well as variants with different hair (blonde ponytail, maybe blue hair for customization?)

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 07 February 2018 - 08:11 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah sorry for the derail, dude.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 07 February 2018 - 08:21 AM

User is offline   jet_nick 

if they can serve you as inspiration I can propose these 3 monsters appeared in the mobile version (version where I'm trying to reproduce everything in 3D)
the first is a mechanical zombie.

Posted Image[/img]

This post has been edited by jet_nick: 07 February 2018 - 08:57 AM

Updated Cyber Enforcer and Female Sniper:

Attached Image: cyberenforcer2.png

Attached Image: femalien.png

Cleaned up a few sprites, particularly the front walking sprites and added a few frames here and there.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 08 February 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

Cleaned up a few sprites, particularly the front walking sprites and added a few frames here and there.

Could you be more specific about what has changed? Even with my improved pipeline, it's a significant amount of work to extract sprites from the sheet and put them in the right place in the .art files, so I definitely want to avoid doing this on any sprites that have not changed.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 08 February 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

Could you be more specific about what has changed? Even with my improved pipeline, it's a significant amount of work to extract sprites from the sheet and put them in the right place in the .art files, so I definitely want to avoid doing this on any sprites that have not changed.

Oh sorry. They're the same ones I sent you. For Cyber Enforcer, the front walking and jet thrusters. For the Sniper, the front walking, front angle walking, kick, and rifle drop.

Speaking of the Sniper sounds, we could just speed up the default .voc files to simulate a female voice, but in my opinion it should be the only other enemy that says some custom phrases in human language in the same way of the Fat Commander.

In addition an even dangerous stealth version of her that turns invisible like Assault Captain would make sense.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 09 February 2018 - 06:27 AM, said:

Oh sorry. They're the same ones I sent you. For Cyber Enforcer, the front walking and jet thrusters. For the Sniper, the front walking, front angle walking, kick, and rifle drop.

Cool. I will finish integrating those changes today. I am mostly finished with the sniper code, too. For clarity, I refer to the angles by the angle numbers. For example, I would say: walk0, walk45, walk90, walk135, walk180. For the frames I would use letters. So, walk45c would be the third frame of walking animation that is facing 45 degrees to the left.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on 09 February 2018 - 06:59 AM, said:

Speaking of the Sniper sounds, we could just speed up the default .voc files to simulate a female voice, but in my opinion it should be the only other enemy that says some custom phrases in human language in the same way of the Fat Commander.

I actually ended up doing something kind of like that. I took some trandoshan sounds from Jedi Academy and raised the pitch. I'm not entirely happy with the result, but they are good placeholders at least.

View PostFantinaikos, on 09 February 2018 - 06:59 AM, said:

In addition an even dangerous stealth version of her that turns invisible like Assault Captain would make sense.

This is not a bad idea, but I would need to have a frame of animation with her pressing a button on her suit, like the regular liztroop has. I have also considered making that into an image splitter instead, so you have to figure out which one is real. This all depends on the result not being annoying, though.

I have also considered making that into an image splitter instead, so you have to figure out which one is real. This all depends on the result not being annoying, though.

I dunno, it looks like more a boss/mid-boss thing, and then in how many images she can splits? The fakes can attack too? It can use this technique just one time or as many times she wants? It is necessary to rationalize this first to make it feasible.

I'm not sure I can say anything about the shooting range because every enemy in DN3D use his weapon at long distance cause the IA (practically they try to sniping with everything). The power of the shot on the other hand should be almost insta-kill, more lethal than rockets, otherwise there is not much difference with what the enemies already does.

However you can code the behavior so that she tends to move away whenever the player get closer to be able to shoot from afar.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 09 February 2018 - 01:01 PM

User is offline   HMNuke93 

Great spritework Sebab! Can't wait to see what's next,especially your rendition of the Zero Hour final boss. Speaking of the spin-offs bosses, i once did a crappy sprite remake of Moloch from Time To Kill (using ingame textures!) Maybe you can do better if you will and have time:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by HMNuke93: 09 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

How bad is it to have a cosmetic feature that cannot be seen in the software renderer? I have a problem -- I want the hitscan sniper shot to be visible, and to do that I am using the custom projectile system to spawn trail sprites along the bullet trajectory. Unfortunately, for there to be enough sprites to traverse the whole trajectory at medium or long range, the trail must consist of 80+ sprites. When there is a lot going on or more than one sniper firing, the game will not draw the trails. This is where 32 bit comes in. I could make the trail into a beam (which I have code for already) and it will take far fewer actors, plus it will look better. But it would require 32 bit. I'm considering that and having the game default to the 8-bit trail sprites when played in software mode.

EDIT: I have found a compromise...I delete every other ring. This reduces the sprite number enough so that the trails can still be seen even when several snipers are firing. Beams would still look a lot better but I would rather not add those in at this stage.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 09 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

One suggestion you might of already added in - maybe when she's tracking you, a pseudo lens-flare appears in front of her and shrinks down to show her scoping in on you (could just have her spawn it as an item in front of her, since having display stuff follow a sprite in the world is still pretty inconvenient iirc)

You know the spray of smoke coming out from the gaspipes ingame? If transparency is applied and it is extend in length, it seems a bullet trail effect.

The Mega Octabrain boss:

Attached Image: megaoctabrain.png

Funny you guys talked about image splitter idea earlier. I imagined this boss could do such a thing.

User is offline   jet_nick 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 09 February 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

The Mega Octabrain boss:

Attachment megaoctabrain.png

Funny you guys talked about image splitter idea earlier. I imagined this boss could do such a thing.

as they say in my part.. Maronnn

is amazing !!!

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJblade, on 09 February 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

One suggestion you might of already added in - maybe when she's tracking you, a pseudo lens-flare appears in front of her and shrinks down to show her scoping in on you (could just have her spawn it as an item in front of her, since having display stuff follow a sprite in the world is still pretty inconvenient iirc)

I thought about stuff like that before I got her in game, but then it all went out the window. So I have coded her as a normal enemy who happens to be effective at long range, but she doesn't do anything special. Cool effects like you mentioned could be added, but I would only do it for a specific project when I know what map areas it will be used in. Otherwise I think the extra work will be wasted.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 09 February 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

The Mega Octabrain boss:

Attachment megaoctabrain.png

I think this deserves to have a custom projectile with new art to go along with the awesome work you have done on the critter. I do a lot of recycling on projectile art from various projects, but it gets old after a while. Do you have any ideas about its attack?

Also, IIRC the regular octabrain has a "walking" animation which shows some tentacle and other movement as it floats, which I think is also kind of important.

I never tried playing with particles yet, but for the Megaoctabrain, I could. I felt like he deserves some fancy attack moves. Also I think the regular octabrain just floats about. But I'm not opposed to giving him a little "walking" to give it more life and creepy tentacles slithering about.

View PostHMNuke93, on 09 February 2018 - 12:45 PM, said:

Great spritework Sebab! Can't wait to see what's next,especially your rendition of the Zero Hour final boss. Speaking of the spin-offs bosses, i once did a crappy sprite remake of Moloch from Time To Kill (using ingame textures!) Maybe you can do better if you will and have time:

Posted Image

Is there a 3d model file of that somewhere?

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 10 February 2018 - 08:35 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 10 February 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

I never tried playing with particles yet, but for the Megaoctabrain, I could. I felt like he deserves some fancy attack moves. Also I think the regular octabrain just floats about. But I'm not opposed to giving him a little "walking" to give it more life and creepy tentacles slithering about.

The Octabrain actually does have a floating animation, as seen here:

Posted Image

It looks like the mandibles and tentacles move a little, but everything else stays the same.

Dan does have a point, these little movements go a long way of making the enemy look lively and flexible, which is what you'd expect from something shaped like a jellyfish.

Otherwise it would seem like the tentacles are rigid and frozen in place while it's moving. Otherwise, it looks really neat.

Hmm. Okay. The sprite sheet was working with originally didn't have all the frames then. All right, I'll make some movement sprites. You're right, it will look static without it. And I'll looking to make custom particles too.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 10 February 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

Hmm. Okay. The sprite sheet was working with originally didn't have all the frames then. All right, I'll make some movement sprites. You're right, it will look static without it. And I'll looking to make custom particles too.

Can you make it look like a bluish white ball of lightning? I'm imagining a projectile that moves slowly but will cause the player to get hurt by little tendrils of energy if he gets anywhere near it as it goes past. Then maybe a smaller version that is just a weak but faster normal shot, but when the octabrain fires the smaller one it shoots several at once and they spread in different directions.

Sounds good to me.

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 10 February 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

Definitely looking forward to the updated version---if there's a way to code in a sort of "Force pull" attack like the DNF Octaking had, via CON files, that'd be effective, too.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMajor Tom, on 11 February 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

Definitely looking forward to the updated version---if there's a way to code in a sort of "Force pull" attack like the DNF Octaking had, via CON files, that'd be effective, too.

I added that feature to certain Octabrains in DukePlus as of November 2008 (3 years before DNF released). I suppose I could do an improved version for a super octabrain, but I dunno. It's the kind of thing that can work well in a staged battle but can be very annoying and possibly glitchy if it can happeny anywhere.

User is offline   HMNuke93 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 10 February 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

Is there a 3d model file of that somewhere?

I created the sprite using a shrunk d64 cyberdemon, the i extracted the textures from the psx vram of Time To Kill, and edited them on photoshop, so no model used.

I nicknamed him "Creep" like the stuff the Zerg sit on.

Attached Image: slimemonster.png

I envisioned these guys can appear in multiple ways in a level:

-Placed in like a normal enemy.
-Disguised as pod.
-After a slimer eats an enemy it will grow into a Creep.
-If there's a freeing babe mechanic, the pod leftover has a chance of becoming a Creep.

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 12 February 2018 - 08:58 PM

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 12 February 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

I nicknamed him "Creep" like the stuff the Zerg sit on.

Attachment slimemonster.png

I envisioned these guys can appear in multiple ways in a level:

-Placed in like a normal enemy.
-Disguised as pod.
-After a slimer eats an enemy it will grow into a Creep.
-If there's a freeing babe mechanic, the pod leftover has a chance of becoming a Creep.

Fancreepytastic!!! This is just so original an imaginative, it makes want to start planning a map around this single mechanic, the enemy gives the fempods and slimers a complete new dimension!

• Duke Plus Developer

That is truly amazing and inspiring. I will eventually want to try my hand at coding it, although I have a backlog of stuff to do now. My first impression is that it should be used in a survival horror setting as part of a level with very few other enemies and scarce ammo.

Duke gets a distress call from a colony ship, he boards it and most of the crew is dead, his weapons and other gear go flying out an airlock in an "accident", then he has to deal with it. You know, the usual.

That reminds me. IIRC, a few years ago someone made a very nice map based on John Carpenter's The Thing -- but it had standard Duke enemies in it. This critter would fit right in if that were revised.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options