Duke4.net Forums: Polymer lives again - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polymer lives again

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Is there a way for Polymer to do Polymost-type shadows? I use Polymost (aside from certain problems I've talked about before I feel it offers the best experience) but with the lighting stuff unique to it disabled which means not even the old type of shadows show up.

On a related note, has there ever been any ideas for when invalid geometry is encountered how Polymer should respond in terms of trying to stitch these holes shut rather than leaving them as-is?

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

It could store the geometry of the initial state of the map in some sort of Polymer-specific portion of the save file I guess?

Or try to find the original map on disk or just store into the save to pull it from that.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Sounds good to me.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Drek, on 28 May 2016 - 01:54 PM, said:

I went to mapping on an old dell inspiron 6400 (in the AC ;) ), shit was glitchy as all hell till I reverted way back to 4200, I skipped over a lot of revisions, I'll use my craptop to see where my first issues came to be.

OK, it's a mapster thing, renders shade lines and skies weird, starting rev 5001, good at 4980.

4980;
Posted Image

5001;
Posted Image

^doesn't look so bad in the pic, but it's horrid to look at in real time while moving the camera.

(not a bug report, I'm fine mapping in an older version on this old laptop. I only posted in the small hope my issue helps track down the others)

Which renderer is this?

User is offline   Kyanos 

That laptop is dead and dusted, just tested using both of those revisions on my pc, it renders properly in both 8bit and the two 32 bit renderers. From looking at the screenshots I am sure it's 32bit mapster, %99 sure it's Polymost. I never don't usually map in Polymer if it's not a TROR or HRP project.

This post has been edited by Drek: 25 October 2016 - 04:30 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

*BUMP*

Any progress on getting the render issues sorted out?

This:
Posted Image

And the Alpha issues.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 10 January 2017 - 06:24 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Alpha issues?

• Polymancer

Transparent surfaces glitching out. Polymer wont render any faces after the transparent surface.

• Weaponized Autism

Tea Monster, on 10 January 2017 - 06:24 AM, said:

*BUMP*

This:
Posted Image

And the Alpha issues.

I narrowed this down to r4600 but have not had a chance to investigate further.

• Polymancer

OK, thanks for getting back.

• Polymancer

We have found what looks like yet another bug. Certain models within a sector will stop reacting to specular or gloss highlights. Characters will react and other models will, but certain ones won't.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Tea Monster, on 06 April 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

We have found what looks like yet another bug. Certain models within a sector will stop reacting to specular or gloss highlights. Characters will react and other models will, but certain ones won't.

This will be far more likely to be looked into if you could provide what's needed to replicate the problem (the map, models and defs). From your description, it sounds like specular and gloss highlights are working correctly on the problem models when in other sectors. That makes me wonder if it's a lighting priority issue. EDIT: Have you checked to see whether the problem is sensitive to the max number of lit surfaces setting?

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 06 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

User is offline   HellFire 

I guess this is a little offtopic, but,i was wondering recently, It was interesting to follow the development of Polymer NG here, but its been a while since it has been talked about. Is it canceled or it's just on hold?

This post has been edited by HellFire: 06 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

User is offline   Mark 

We have been told by the author of NG that he put it on hold to go job hunting. Then he put it on hold to do ports of other games to his new renderer and xbox1. I could be wrong but I consider it dead. Its been a year since his planned release.

• Polymancer

Trooper Dan, on 06 April 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

This will be far more likely to be looked into if you could provide what's needed to replicate the problem (the map, models and defs). From your description, it sounds like specular and gloss highlights are working correctly on the problem models when in other sectors. That makes me wonder if it's a lighting priority issue. EDIT: Have you checked to see whether the problem is sensitive to the max number of lit surfaces setting?

I'm loath to go through all that documentation of a problem again. For the normal and diffuse display issues, both myself and Mark spent a lot of time documenting the problem. Levels, defs and models were submitted and Mark went through every version of EDuke between the one we are using now and the latest SVN to determine where the problem first occured. After all that effort on everyone's part, nothing has been done to actually fix the problem. I personally don't want to go through the procedure again to come up with the same result. I'm wasting my time and the devs if nobody is going to do anything about it.

Re: NG: - As Mark said, ICD says it isn't dead, but for the purposes of this mod and EDuke in general, I am considering it deceased.

Re: LIghting limit - No I haven't, can you point me to the wiki page please?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Tea Monster, on 06 April 2017 - 11:56 PM, said:

Re: LIghting limit - No I haven't, can you point me to the wiki page please?

http://wiki.eduke32....onsole_commands

r_pr_maxlightpasses

"the maximal amount of lights a single object can by affected by"

The default value is 5. But you can open up the console and change it to a different number. For example, by typing:

r_pr_maxlightpasses 9

In the unlikely event that this helps, you can save that setting in a cfg or have it applied at startup in an autoexec.cfg

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks. But I bumped that setting up to 12 last year when Helix was helping us with a problem of certain lights not showing up elsewhere.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Mark., on 06 April 2017 - 06:26 PM, said:

Its been a year since his planned release.

It had a planned release date?

It's possible ICD may being working on it again in 6 months or so, but feelings will be spared if it were simply assumed to never happen, and be pleasantly surprised if it does.

User is offline   Mark 

Yep, about a year. The HH remake that TM and I are working on was supposed to be a smaller project done last spring to help show off the NG release.

• Evil Overlord

In Mapster32 if you force STATNUM (in the F8 menu) to be something other than 0 (try 1, 5, or 6 for example) does the problem disappear?

• Weaponized Autism

Tea Monster, on 10 January 2017 - 06:24 AM, said:

*BUMP*

This:
Posted Image

This is now fixed.

• Polymancer

It is, and thank you very much!!!

Hendricks266, on 28 July 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

This is now fixed.

Whats the CL where its fixed?

• Weaponized Autism

icecoldduke, on 28 July 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

Whats the CL where its fixed?

The last time I helped your uncooperative fork, it sprouted a new name, a website, and a fan club. No thanks.

In any case, you should be able to answer your question merely by looking at our SVN.

http://svn.eduke32.c...v=6396&peg=6396

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 28 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I may get a lot of hatemail for this but I think that since NG's development is on hold one thing could "save" a project such as Polymer: getting Gearbox to release the goddamn World Tour source code so their DX11 renderer could be "ported" to Eduke32. It has a few issues but overall Nerve did a good job, the renderer is very similar to Polymer but performs a lot better + even their classic mode outperforms EDuke32's classic renderer, especially in resolutions above 1080p.

User is offline   Mark 

Sounds good but I'm guessing you open up a whole new "can of worms" getting it to work with models and modes other than software rendering. I'm not tech saavy so I don't know for sure.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Mark., on 13 August 2017 - 08:36 PM, said:

Sounds good but I'm guessing you open up a whole new "can of worms" getting it to work with models and modes other than software rendering. I'm not tech saavy so I don't know for sure.

True, I'm sure it would need a lot of additional development but you know, that's what NG would have meant anyway. On top of that it would be really worth it in my opinion, I mean WT = Duke 3D running on DirectX 11. That's great new tech that would open doors to a lot of opportunities even just as an example on how to move forward in certain directions. I can say a lot of bad things about how I think GBX handled WT badly but it's still the most significat official source port any classic FPS got maybe ever.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 13 August 2017 - 09:09 PM

User is offline   axl 

Zaxx, on 12 August 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

I may get a lot of hatemail for this but I think that since NG's development is on hold one thing could "save" a project such as Polymer: getting Gearbox to release the goddamn World Tour source code so their DX11 renderer could be "ported" to Eduke32. It has a few issues but overall Nerve did a good job, the renderer is very similar to Polymer but performs a lot better + even their classic mode outperforms EDuke32's classic renderer, especially in resolutions above 1080p.

Well, I gotta admit, the WT renderer does look really nice. Besides we really need the WT source code to properly implement the new changes (incinerator, firefly, ...) into EDuke32. And the fact that WT is now officially the latest and final version of Duke Nukem 3D.

Any news on its release by the way? According to the interview, Randy promised to look into it to see if it was possible.

This post has been edited by axl: 14 August 2017 - 12:56 AM

• Evil Overlord

I've heard the opposite about performance. Poor framerates and bad frame pacing. It also is DX11 which means it wouldn't work on any of the supported platforms of EDuke32 except Windows.

I'm sure that any performance increases are from the renderer having some form of multithreading and batched calls. Something that should be targeted for all the current GL renderers in EDuke32 at some point.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Mblackwell, on 14 August 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

I've heard the opposite about performance. Poor framerates and bad frame pacing. It also is DX11 which means it wouldn't work on any of the supported platforms of EDuke32 except Windows.

I'm sure that any performance increases are from the renderer having some form of multithreading and batched calls. Something that should be targeted for all the current GL renderers in EDuke32 at some point.

Guess performance depends on what hardware you throw at the game but compared to Polymer WT will perform 5 to 10 times better in any given situation on adequate hardware.

Here's how performance goes basically: Polymost > WT classic mode >= WT true 3D rendering > EDuke32 Classic renderer >>>> Polymer. As for frame pacing I've yet to measure it but when it comes to the general feel of smoothness World Tour wins hands down. Screen tearing is handled a lot better and the game feels a lot smoother even on a lower framerate as is the case with most DirectX 11 games.

And yeah, DirectX throws multiplatform support out the window but it would still benefit Windows users a lot. What I also like in Gearbox's renderer is that it supports DSR and Fast Sync and those things are missing from EDuke32 (fast sync works but only through the classic renderer and on my machine it's basically useless in 1080p because framerate dips below 120 fps a lot resulting in a very stuttery experience).

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options