• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polymer lives again

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostHendricks266, on 04 June 2016 - 08:54 PM, said:

Was there anyone who had trouble registering an account on the bug tracker? It's easier for me to keep track of things there than in threads.
Shortly after I had offered a nice list of links to issue reports, the bug tracker went online. This new threshold was quite like a slap in the face then, put up as a an additional line of defence against average community members: "We don't care much about past and future forum bug reports..Android porting rules. However, feel free to create an additional account elsewhere, where your issues can be ignored furthermore." Probably not true, but that's what it felt like.
Remember that these forums are the place where newbies and others (players!) come first with their problems, and where they can expect to be answered. Turning forum bug reports into bug tracker items should primarily be the developers' task. There really isn't that much traffic in the "Bug reports & "help me" threads" area. That's why I'm still kind of reluctant to join the bug tracker and repeat stuff for the (n+1)th time.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLeoD, on 05 June 2016 - 08:08 AM, said:

Shortly after I had offered a nice list of links to issue reports, the bug tracker went online. This new threshold was quite like a slap in the face then, put up as a an additional line of defence against average community members: "We don't care much about past and future forum bug reports..Android porting rules. However, feel free to create an additional account elsewhere, where your issues can be ignored furthermore." Probably not true, but that's what it felt like.
Remember that these forums are the place where newbies and others (players!) come first with their problems, and where they can expect to be answered. Turning forum bug reports into bug tracker items should primarily be the developers' task. There really isn't that much traffic in the "Bug reports & "help me" threads" area. That's why I'm still kind of reluctant to join the bug tracker and repeat stuff for the (n+1)th time.

I agree with this. I don't want to create another account and have to report stuff somewhere else. Also, I know that most members will certainly not do that or check the bug tracker, which decreases its public value. When multiple members see a bug report here, sometimes different reports can be corroborated and provide more information about the bug, or even how to workaround it in some cases. It's also possible that what seems like a "bug" at first really isn't, so having users directly adding bugs into the tracker has that downside as well.

User is online   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Bug trackers are ridiculously useful in development for keeping track of issues and getting feedback from the reporter, and having a simple list of what is or isn't fixed (and gives people reporting bugs a good way to see if it's already a known issue and chime in with their additional information).

It's not meant as a barrier, in fact it's meant to create less of a barrier between people with issues and the developers. Most projects have an issue tracker of some kind, and it's a pretty important tool and can speed up things getting fixed.

Not to say issues can't also be talked about here.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMblackwell, on 05 June 2016 - 08:48 AM, said:

It's not meant as a barrier, in fact it's meant to create less of a barrier between people with issues and the developers. Most projects have an issue tracker of some kind, and it's a pretty important tool and can speed up things getting fixed.

This!
I rather fill out a bug report in an environment designed for that, rather than posting it on a forum thread that may or may not be read by the right person. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 05 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

When writing up bug reports, it would be smart to include video of the issue or at the very least screenshots, with a detailed description of how to reproduce the bug. Don't say "shit broke" provide a detailed explanation of how to reproduce the bug. Otherwise bug reports are going to be essentially useless.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 05 June 2016 - 09:34 AM

User is offline   Mark 

It sucks when the problem is in a TC or mod which would sometimes require the dev to download the whole thing to test the bug.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostTea Monster, on 05 June 2016 - 05:58 AM, said:

I never got a confirmation back. I was using a yahoo address.

Yea the things I mentioned above will not be isolated just to Microsoft Servers. Until they clear their mail server reputation and supply a SPF record they arent' following best practices for their e-mail server setup. Until that's addressed its pointless to expect it to work.

I just received this in my inbox:

Thank you for contacting Barracuda Networks regarding your issue. Your issue is important to us. We have assigned a confirmation number: BBR21465110405-39053-7532 to this case.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. We have removed 195.154.251.129 (Please wait 24-48 hours) from our blocklist for 30 days, at which time it will be re-evaluated.

So that's good they de-listed their server. Now how about that SPF record?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 05 June 2016 - 10:05 AM

View PostMark., on 05 June 2016 - 09:42 AM, said:

It sucks when the problem is in a TC or mod which would sometimes require the dev to download the whole thing to test the bug.

If content guys were using some kind of source control, that wouldn't be a issue :).

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View Posticecoldduke, on 05 June 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

If content guys were using some kind of source control, that wouldn't be a issue :).

I'm using git for the props im sitting on.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Posticecoldduke, on 05 June 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

We provide private SVN services to several community projects here, including AMC TC, WGR2, and all of Mblackwell & co.'s stuff.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Scummvm also enforces users to use their bug tracker system and whenever anybody posts a bug on their forums they immediately direct them to the bug tracker. I believe it's right in their forums rules. So it's not unheard of behaviour. A lot of places do it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 June 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

Scummvm also enforces users to use tgeir bug tracker system and whenever anybody posts a bug on their forums they immediately them to the bug tracker. I believe it's right in their forums rules. So it's not unheard of behaviour. A lot of places do it.

Bug reports & "help me" threads

If you have a problem with EDuke32 or Mapster32, READ THE THREADS HERE FIRST to see if anyone else has experienced the same issue. Do not post a new thread if a thread for a similar problem already exists, or we'll be really pissed off and nobody will help you.

It's different here.

• Weaponized Autism

Maybe we should add a note saying you can feel free to chime in on an existing thread, just don't make a new one.

As for the bug tracker, it's helpful to get an overview of what needs fixing, and to notify the ticket opener directly when something is fixed. Making threads here can do the job just as well, especially when it needs discussion.

View PostHendricks266, on 05 June 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

As for the bug tracker, it's helpful to get an overview of what needs fixing, and to notify the ticket opener directly when something is fixed. Making threads here can do the job just as well, especially when it needs discussion.

I understand were your going with that, but there should be a 1:1 entry with whats in the bug database vs whats in the forums. It's easy for stuff to get lost in the forums. Maybe you mandate before you post a bug in forum, you have to post a bug in the bug database, and then link to the bug from the forum?

• Weaponized Autism

It's easy to claim a "should" like that, but I don't agree with it. All those steps is asking too much of a user. Also, making both a forum thread and a bug ticket is unnecessary duplication.

I like having the option of both so that users can do whichever they're more comfortable with. Forum regulars probably feel more comfortable making a thread. Our largely hidden userbase of people who run Linux or BSD and/or do open source-y developer things might be more comfortable popping in IRC or filing a bug ticket.

Things may get temporarily lost or buried, sure, but that is not a problem in itself, rather a symptom of me/us not putting enough time into making records and looking into things. I have a 1000+ line, 40 KB text file of notes and to-do lists for the project (with some other stuff thrown in). Things take time.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Whatever others want use the forum or the bug tracker, I would tends do both, post a thread on forum then try to post a ticket on bug tracker with a link(with/without a few lines of description) to my bug report thread I made. Because I think developers can never forgot reports when they usually do check the bug tracker.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 06 June 2016 - 04:10 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostDrek, on 05 June 2016 - 11:18 AM, said:

It's different here.

I'm just saying, in the interests of making things more efficient and streamlined it's not something that's unheard of.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Hendricks266 - Thank you so much for finally putting these bugs to rest!

I'll test the gloss maps over the weekend.

• Polymancer

When the revision happened, it rolled back to another bug that got squashed before the version we originally found the bug in.

On models in the latest build, the UV Map is offset in some manner. In 5608 this error isn't there and the model in the shot dosen't have the green flash on the top side. The texture also looks very pixelated, I don't know if this is due to a side-effect of the bug or something in how the engine is treating that texture.

Posted Image

View PostTea Monster, on 09 June 2016 - 02:49 PM, said:

When the revision happened, it rolled back to another bug that got squashed before the version we originally found the bug in.

On models in the latest build, the UV Map is offset in some manner. In 5608 this error isn't there and the model in the shot dosen't have the green flash on the top side. The texture also looks very pixelated, I don't know if this is due to a side-effect of the bug or something in how the engine is treating that texture.

Posted Image

Just something I wanted to point out, this bug report is not thorough enough :). It may or may not be for Hendricks, but for me I'm not sure what I'm looking at, or what is so special about the material that is causing you the issue. You always should open your screenshot up in paint or phontshop or whatever and make a red rectangle around the fuckage. You also need to include all information you can about the material that is causing you issues. Granted this is for Polymer, but for PolymerNG I would send the bug back to you and say need more info :P.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 09 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View Posticecoldduke, on 09 June 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

You always should open your screenshot up in paint or phontshop or whatever and make a red rectangle around the fuckage.

Is "the green flash on the top side" in the center of the image not clear enough?

TM, could you send me a model and skin(s) that exhibits this issue?

View PostHendricks266, on 09 June 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

Is "the green flash on the top side" in the center of the image not clear enough?

For all I know that surface is supposed to look like that. Guessing always leads to bad things.

• Polymancer

I'm actually at a loss as to what the bug actually is. I don't think it's a simple UV scroll problem. None of the adjoining islands have that particular green flash on it. It's like a portion of the island is feeding back on itself based on the edge of the UV island.

I'd love to say 'The UV map is shifted 'X' pixels to the top left' I don't think that is what is happening.

I've sent a test level with this asset to Plagman. I can send it to Hendricks266 if he's interested. I don't want to reveal details of the level in public at the moment.

EDIT: Will do.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 09 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Did you try disabling parallax mapping to see if it fixes it? It might just be too extreme scale/bias parallax values on your material causing UV swimming.

User is offline   Mark 

Applying one at a time either the normal or spec map at their default setting causes the glitch at the top to show. Disable both and the glitch disappears.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 June 2016 - 03:22 AM

• Polymancer

I sent him the model with all maps enabled in the def.

There is no parallax used with that model and it isn't declared in the def file.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 10 June 2016 - 02:58 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Another odd thing is I looked at the skin to see where that green and black glitch part of the texture is coming from. I can't find that anywhere on the skin. Where is it coming from? :) So even if it was just a texture shift it would have shifted to more blue.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 June 2016 - 03:47 AM

• Polymancer

Mark reports that the bug occurs when spec and normal maps are enabled. It's not visible when they are disabled

• Weaponized Autism

Oblivion's E2L10.MAP fails to load due to a two-way train
corner case exposed in r3159/r3174 (terminx)
fixed in r5773

Sprites with ART animations don't animate in Polymer
prior issues exposed by r5481 (terminx)
fixed in r5774

• Polymancer

There is a transparency bug that is interfering with one of our models. Can I send it to you?

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options