Duke4.net Forums: Need some help on sprite editing - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need some help on sprite editing

User is offline   Jaxx 

Hi there, I'm working on a little TC for duke3d and I would like to edit duke3d original art files to import new weapons sprites. I've found a way by using a progam called Bastart, but when I import my bmp into the art file, it's looking aweful and it's pissing me off since a few day... Can anybody give me some help to get better results?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's because you're probably importing an image with about 512 colors, while Duke's palette only supports 256. Photoshop it such that the colors are closer to Duke's, and change it to an indexed image. Photoshop doesn't convert palettes well, I like to use Irfanview for that.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

You can try installing DOS Box then running EditArt in it.

User is offline   SwissCm 

I generally use Paint Shop Pro to tweak my artwork so it will convert down to the duke palette better before importing it. I export it as a GIF in PSP and import the gif using EditArt. Another option is to use def files to add new artwork, though it's a bit more advanced and if you want to keep the existing palette or bit depth you'll have to run your TC using polymost/polymer only.

This post has been edited by SwissCm: 13 May 2009 - 01:04 AM

User is offline   Jaxx 

Ok, thanks for the help guys, it works now ^^

is there any alternative methods? i have paint shop pro 7 and 10 but the cd's are difficult to find and get everything together for install.

Also. i tried uploading the duke palette into wally and it said the picture was malformed and wouldn't read it. anything i import via bastART or Dukeres comes in with the pink backround a dark blue or with lines going through it.

i have done all of the research i can about this and can't get any positive results so any help would greatly be appreciated.

PS: i decided to post in here since a thread was already made and there wouldn't be much sense in making a new thread.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

Have you tried EditArt in DOS Box?

View PostAlan, on May 13 2009, 03:35 PM, said:

Have you tried EditArt in DOS Box?

not yet. i did consider it but dos box is kind of a pain to keep starting up and im pretty much lost when i have started up EditArt. i would be willing to give it a try but as for making graphics in edit art itself? no i would rather not do that its very crowded and i need a lot of room to work.

on a similar note has anyone thought of updating edit art so its more compatible with windows systems and has an interface and such? just a question though i imagine BastART and Dukeres was somewhat of an attempt at that.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I've never had a problem running Editart on an XP machine. I've run it on 5+ XP machines, with no problem whatsoever.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

View Poststaffcarguy, on May 13 2009, 03:50 PM, said:

not yet. i did consider it but dos box is kind of a pain to keep starting up and im pretty much lost when i have started up EditArt. i would be willing to give it a try but as for making graphics in edit art itself? no i would rather not do that its very crowded and i need a lot of room to work.

There's documentation on how to use it in buildhlp.txt on your game disc. And yeah, it's not really something for editing, but it's much more reliable for imports than the other tools listed are.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on May 13 2009, 03:53 PM, said:

I've never had a problem running Editart on an XP machine. I've run it on 5+ XP machines, with no problem whatsoever.

ill have to find my game cd and get it off.

View PostAlan, on May 13 2009, 04:24 PM, said:

There's documentation on how to use it in buildhlp.txt on your game disc. And yeah, it's not really something for editing, but it's much more reliable for imports than the other tools listed are.

well importing that could work but i hate dealing with dos programs. its hard to keep track of what your doing when your switching between like ms paint and dos

+ edit art usually doesn't always work for me unless its in some kind of modification. if its normal duke it refuses to work. but ill give that a try before i count it out i was just hoping there was a way to get around edit art without having to deal with it since it annoys me a lot and seems pretty much impossible to use since i have always known the convenience of always using non dos programs for anything else i have ever done.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

The Windows programs tend to corrupt the ART files by randomly blanking out different tiles. Some have near impossible requirements for the type of image to be imported and all of them are completely incapable of importing transparent pixels.

View PostAlan, on May 13 2009, 07:43 PM, said:

The Windows programs tend to corrupt the ART files by randomly blanking out different tiles. Some have near impossible requirements for the type of image to be imported and all of them are completely incapable of importing transparent pixels.

i have kind of noticed that really. i just figured i was doing something wrong i probably was though still. thanks ill start messing around with edit art i wish someone would fix that up kinda like what they did for build it sure would make it easyr for new people. ill mess around with edit art now and get the hang of it. i looked through build help though like someone suggested (i think that's what they said ill have to double check) and i couldn't find anything about edit art keys and such in itself. ill look again though and double check on that.

This post has been edited by staffcarguy: 13 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

http://jsbuild.planetduke.gamespy.com/mapf...tartkeylist.php

View PostCaptain Awesome, on May 13 2009, 08:58 PM, said:

thank you that helps. but i am posed with a new problem. i can import now using edit art but the most problem is that the picture comes in skewed and all scrambled like it can't read it properly ill get some screen shots if its nessecary as to know what the problem might be.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Editart will only import 256 color 8bit .gif files and .pcx files, in my experience .pcx only work when they are made by EditArt itself.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 13 May 2009 - 06:48 PM

View PostCaptain Awesome, on May 13 2009, 10:48 PM, said:

Editart will only import 256 color 8bit .gif files and .pcx files, in my experience .pcx only work when they are made by EditArt itself.

awesome thanks i got it to work! though at first it wouldn't save so i have to use dos box to get it to work properly in some aspects other then that it works awesome thanks all! ;) ill cerainly be fooling around with duke nukem art from now on.. though saving it as gif seems to make it lose a lot of color value is there any way to save it without such color loss? thanks.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Make sure you save it without any sort of compression.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on May 14 2009, 04:56 PM, said:

Make sure you save it without any sort of compression.

well i am using ms paint to save the gif and here's what happens to the color and such automaticly using a hand from duke nukem itself as an example.

BMP save

Posted Image
Posted Image

Gif save

Posted Image
Posted Image

you can see the difference without even having to zoom in or anything. if that's how gif compresses then that's new to me. i tried a different program for gif saving but that doesn't work period.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

Have you tried using The Gimp to save it out? You can at least make sure it saves to proper colors. A while back I had a Gimp palette using the exact color values of the Duke 3D palette but I lost it when my hard drive failed.

View PostAlan, on May 14 2009, 05:53 PM, said:

Have you tried using The Gimp to save it out? You can at least make sure it saves to proper colors. A while back I had a Gimp palette using the exact color values of the Duke 3D palette but I lost it when my hard drive failed.

okay i tried using gimp to do that like you said. it exports perfectly except if the back ground is white it wont automaticly turn it to the transparent color and even using dos box now it still crashes apparently and takes a few tries to get it to work properly.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options