Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Duke Forces 1.0 is officially released!

Duke Forces is a modification of Duke Nukem 3d inspired by the Star Wars Dark Forces series. It works with all Duke Nukem 3D levels and automatically converts weapons, enemies, textures, sprites, music...pretty much everything into Star Wars content

DOWNLOAD LINK

DUKE FORCES ON MOD DB

UPDATE: The download is live on Mod DB, so I have updated the download link.

Run EDuke32 from within the DukeForces folder and it should just work -- you do need DUKE3D.GRP but if you have Duke 3D on Steam then you don't need to copy it.

A few disclaimers:
The "Duke Forces" episode is not a true story mode. We don't have new maps yet. It is a collection of old maps that are converted by code on the fly. Same goes for the original Duke 3D episodes. The map files have not been altered in any way. All map authors are credited.
The conversion from Duke content to Star Wars content is not complete. There are still many Duke textures and sprites in the game. Also, the inclusion of some standard Duke enemies is deliberate. If you read the backstory (see Help and the opening crawl of the Duke Forces episode) it explains that the aliens who invaded Earth actually came from the Star Wars galaxy.

I wish I could say that there will definitely be a story mode in a future release, but in reality the future is uncertain. It depends on the mod being able to continue development, and having level designers willing to spend a lot of time making maps.

This short 24 hour window between the duke4 release and the "general" release provides an opportunity for feedback and perhaps last minute bug fixes for issues that the beta testers and I may have missed. I welcome your feedback.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 03 May 2016 - 11:23 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

That was fast!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSpiker, on 02 May 2016 - 11:49 PM, said:

That was fast!

Development time was exactly 6 months. I estimate that I worked on it for an average of 2.5 hours per day, which means my total hours on the project = 450 hours (probably closer to 500). Of that time, I would estimate about 1/3 was actually spent coding. I certainly wasn't alone: xenoxols made some important contributions early on with HUD graphics, Tea Monster made a couple of extremely useful models, Fantinaikos has provided a wealth of sprites and other materials, and Forge (along with Fantinaikos and armymen) has been a great beta tester. MusicallyInspired put me on the right track with music, Jblade found some sprites and good links, and so on...

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Nice! Gonna check this out.

User is offline   MetHy 

For some reasons, when launching the game without adding in a DUKE3D.GRP into the folder, I'll get a few missing textures in the first map of Duke Forces episode.

Though I think I know why, it must be because EDuke32 automatically uses a .grp from v1.3 of DN3D which I must have somewhere on my computer. Pretty sure the few missing textures are from Atomic Edition.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Amazing to see some people are actually capable of sticking to schedules and release dates! xD Congrats to the release, Dan! From what I have seen regarding the project until now it has to be great. Will give it a shot during my free time later this week and provide feedback asap.

Loving it so far, I haven't played a Star Wars game since those Force Unleashed games, I've found some things that I'm not sure are intentional or are bugs.

The Security monitor texture appears to have it's EDF letters backwards.
Posted Image

Also I'm noticing that the blasts from the Storm Trooper rifle aren't hitting the crosshair but instead all around it, though I feel that was intentional as a joke.

EDIT:

Also just noticed another small thing.
That Toxic pool area takes off health even when I wonder around in it, even if I stand on those rocks, simply moving around causes health loss. Lost a lot of health trying to jump out of there, not even touching the toxic pool.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 03 May 2016 - 12:36 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMetHy, on 03 May 2016 - 12:10 AM, said:

For some reasons, when launching the game without adding in a DUKE3D.GRP into the folder, I'll get a few missing textures in the first map of Duke Forces episode.

Though I think I know why, it must be because EDuke32 automatically uses a .grp from v1.3 of DN3D which I must have somewhere on my computer. Pretty sure the few missing textures are from Atomic Edition.

You are probably correct. I have launched without a DUKE3D.GRP in the folder and in my case it defaulted to the steam version, which worked fine.

View PostxMobilemux, on 03 May 2016 - 12:24 AM, said:

Loving it so far, I haven't played a Star Wars game since those Force Unleashed games, I've found some things that I'm not sure are intentional or are bugs.

The Security monitor texture appears to have it's EDF letters backwards.

Yeah, the letters are backwards in that texture. For some reason I thought that would make it look more like galactic basic. Dumb idea. I'll probably change it in a future update.

View PostMetHy, on 03 May 2016 - 12:10 AM, said:

Also I'm noticing that the blasts from the Storm Trooper rifle aren't hitting the crosshair but instead all around it, though I feel that was intentional as a joke.

That's not a joke, it's just that the weapon has limited accuracy (if it were a joke then it would be wildly inaccurate). For an accurate shot with the rifle, press altfire and use the zoom function.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 May 2016 - 12:33 AM, said:

That's not a joke, it's just that the weapon has limited accuracy (if it were a joke then it would be wildly inaccurate). For an accurate shot with the rifle, press altfire and use the zoom function.

My bad, I thought it was a joke on how Storm troopers are horrible shots.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Nice and congrats man looks cool haven't had the time yet to launch but can't wait. I told you I would get you a map or two and I still stick to that. The only reason it hasn't happened is because of there is so much going on for me. Don't even want to speak about some of the things personally or worldly. Anyways, I don't go back on me word my friend. I know you put a lot of work in to this and some others like Xenoxols he talked to me about it a few times. I can't give a time frame for my level due to my current schedule but its something I plan to do still. I surely don't just run my mouth even know some people would probably like to believe that.

Thanks for your work I will check it out as soon as possible.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Also just noticed another small thing.
That Toxic pool area takes off health even when I wonder around in it, even if I stand on those rocks, simply moving around causes health loss. Lost a lot of health trying to jump out of there, not even touching the toxic pool.

Purple lava in Duke 3D has always worked that way. It kind of sucks, but I didn't feel like it was my place to change it, since some user maps may depend on that shitty feature. When I see that shit I just avoid going over it and don't bother trying to get the items in it or near it.

Finished Level 1. Loving it so far.

Noticed a texture on an elevator that looks funny when the elevator activates(The elevator leading downstairs in the Toxic pool room) and a bunch of smaller less concerning texture bugs including that texture bug at the beginning(I'm also using Atomic Edition file), but nothing game breaking.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

This is so damn cool! Just excellent work, Trooper Dan. I just got the lightsaber, and am regularly getting my ass handed to me! I wish all Star Wars battles ended with the hero walking over some health and exclaiming, "I needed that!" That should be canon.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I forgot to mention this, but difficulty levels in Duke Forces do not work the same way as regular Duke. All enemies appear on all difficulties, but their AI is different and a few other things. Also, collecting all the imperial emblem pieces in each level is very much worth it, although you might have to kill every single enemy (including hidden respawns in some cases), and in rare instances even that will fail to make them all spawn.

User is offline   MetHy 

I've played a few maps and I'm liking it, I'm not even a big Star Wars fan as I've only seen the original trilogy but I did play Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy a lot as a teen.
I know some of these maps but replaying them with this mod makes it completely different.

The only things that bother me is how different things are mixed together, like the way you get Duke3D enemies along side Star Wars enemies, or the way one of the enemy is a 3D model while all the other ones are sprites. I guess I can deal with different Star Wars enemy types working together even if they're not the same race though, I'm not sure how Star Wars FPS games dealt with that...

This post has been edited by MetHy: 03 May 2016 - 03:20 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

the weapon (blaster rifle) works pretty much the same way as the one in the original dark forces game. The shots were a little scattered in it as well.

that's how that toxic stuff works in the original duke3d game. you lose health merely by passing over it, or standing too close to an edge.

View PostxMobilemux, on 03 May 2016 - 01:06 AM, said:

Noticed a texture on an elevator that looks funny when the elevator activates(The elevator leading downstairs in the Toxic pool room) and a bunch of smaller less concerning texture bugs including that texture bug at the beginning(I'm also using Atomic Edition file), but nothing game breaking.

None of the maps were edited. If it looks "funny" using the mod, chances are it looks "funny" without the mod as well.

This post has been edited by Forge: 03 May 2016 - 04:50 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMetHy, on 03 May 2016 - 03:20 AM, said:

I've played a few maps and I'm liking it,

The only things that bother me is how different things are mixed together,

no mention of how the map environments are sporadic and disjointed with no continuity or flow from one level to the next?

User is online   zykov eddy 

I was thinking about recording a Let's Play, but afraid I'll have to play the game with music turned off. Youtube will sue my ass.

This mod is amazing and it needs publicity.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 03 May 2016 - 06:13 AM

User is offline   supergoofy 

I like it a lot. Congrats for this achievement and many many thanks for bringing this to us.

I played the 1st and 2nd level of duke3d.grp. So far I enjoyed playing it.

Question: is there a future power up that enables lightsaber (force) energy automatic regeneration? or do you gain any force abilities?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMetHy, on 03 May 2016 - 03:20 AM, said:

I've played a few maps and I'm liking it, I'm not even a big Star Wars fan as I've only seen the original trilogy but I did play Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy a lot as a teen.
I know some of these maps but replaying them with this mod makes it completely different.

The only things that bother me is how different things are mixed together, like the way you get Duke3D enemies along side Star Wars enemies, or the way one of the enemy is a 3D model while all the other ones are sprites. I guess I can deal with different Star Wars enemy types working together even if they're not the same race though, I'm not sure how Star Wars FPS games dealt with that...

It's a compromise born of wanting a certain mix of gameplay and not having a proper story mode where assets could be distributed in a more sensible way. In the original Dark Forces (1995) there was also an implausible mix of races. In some levels they even had the gamorrean guards (primitive looking pig aliens with big axes) in high-tech areas, even though we only saw them in Jabba's hideout in ROTJ. In this mod, my story is that the other races are hired guns or slaves of the imperials. I also say that the lizard-related aliens from Duke (both the troopers and enforcers) are genetic cousins of the trandoshans from Star Wars (the guys with the concussion rifles). Fat commanders are related to Hutts. So the Duke enemies that we do see are supposed to have come from the Star Wars galaxy in the first place.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsupergoofy, on 03 May 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

I like it a lot. Congrats for this achievement and many many thanks for bringing this to us.

I played the 1st and 2nd level of duke3d.grp. So far I enjoyed playing it.

Question: is there a future power up that enables lightsaber (force) energy automatic regeneration? or do you gain any force abilities?

You can gain permanent perks, including 2 force powers, by completing whole episodes. The light saber does not regenerate, and that's because I want to maintain the gameplay balance between it and regular weapons. I didn't like how in the Jedi games, the other weapons weren't even needed.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postzykov eddy, on 03 May 2016 - 06:13 AM, said:

I was thinking about recording a Let's Play, but afraid I'll have to play the game with music turned off. Youtube will sue my ass.

This mod is amazing and it needs publicity.

With the exception of the cantina theme and the opening theme when the text crawls up, all of the music you hear is exported from midis using a high-quality sound font. The midis are from Dark Forces and a few other sources, but it is definitely not the movie tracks nor is it ripped directly from any game (although parts are obviously based on the movie music). Anyway, youtube wouldn't sue you, at worst they would flag the video as containing copyrighted material and force you to accept ads when it plays (that's what they did to one of mine recently).

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

I wish I could play it today! I am huge fan of the SW universe.

if i may say. this looks quite cool. can't wait to playthrough the mod :angry:

User is offline   Jblade 

Just played a bit of this now, really fantastic work - I'm not a Star Wars fan but all of the cool ideas and technology means I still enjoyed this. If I didn't have a million things to work on myself I would make a map for this, I hope at least somebody else gives it a try.

User is offline   Loke 

Finished all 4 episodes earlier today. This is truly an excellent mod. I have to try some more user maps with this too.

By the way, the Sentry Drone replacement is now even more annoying than before. Warp Factor was a nightmare to get through. :angry:

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLoke, on 06 May 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

Finished all 4 episodes earlier today. This is truly an excellent mod. I have to try some more user maps with this too.

By the way, the Sentry Drone replacement is now even more annoying than before. Warp Factor was a nightmare to get through. :angry:

Yeah, I will probably want to nerf their shots a bit. Don't forget: Now that you completed episodes 3 and 4, you will have the force pull and force choke powers when you start a new game!

Please let me know if you encountered any bugs. Some have been reported since the release and I plan to release an update to address those and a few other things by the end of the month.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 06 May 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

Don't forget: Now that you completed episodes 3 and 4, you will have the force pull and force choke powers when you start a new game!

Yeah, Force choke was great especially early on when you don't have a ton of ammo. Especially useful on Raw Meat since that start can be quite tough.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 06 May 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

Please let me know if you encountered any bugs. Some have been reported since the release and I plan to release an update to address those and a few other things by the end of the month.

I had that issue with the glow maps being weird but I saw that it has already been brought up. I also ran into an issue with the two turrets blocking the player from entering the small cracks in Toxic Dump at the very start with the blue key card. Also the Dark Jedi/Sith Lord enemies that drop those power-ups can be squished (happened to me on Rabid Transit -- he got squished by the train) but they don't seem to drop the actual power-up if this happens.
I'll let you know if I can remember anything else.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostLoke, on 06 May 2016 - 01:10 PM, said:

I had that issue with the glow maps being weird but I saw that it has already been brought up. I also ran into an issue with the two turrets blocking the player from entering the small cracks in Toxic Dump at the very start with the blue key card. Also the Dark Jedi/Sith Lord enemies that drop those power-ups can be squished (happened to me on Rabid Transit -- he got squished by the train) but they don't seem to drop the actual power-up if this happens.
I'll let you know if I can remember anything else.

That glow map bug is frustrating. It still hasn't been confirmed whether it happens with snapshots released since the one included with Duke Forces. What I'll probably do is disable glow maps in the cfg that I ship with it.

The turret blocking bug has been fixed in my code.

As for the Sith...I'm guessing he was crushed by a train? He doesn't actually have any ifsquished code, so it must have been something hardcoded which therefore did not use the death code that I wrote for him that spawns the emblem piece. It's pretty annoying that it's hardcoded because obviously there are enemies who shouldn't get squished by that. For example, what if a mod had a ghost enemy that only becomes solid when attacking? Pretty silly to have hardcoding crushing it.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 06 May 2016 - 01:19 PM, said:

As for the Sith...I'm guessing he was crushed by a train?.

Yeah, he jumped down on the train tracks just as the train passed by and I heard the usual "squish" sound. The odd thing is that I could still hear his lightsaber as well even after his demise. I got to see if I can replicate it.

EDIT: Uploaded a video replicating it.

While recording I also noticed that those rolling destroyer droids got squished by the train as well leaving their shield generator still up -- you can see it near the end.

This post has been edited by Loke: 06 May 2016 - 02:14 PM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options