Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 27 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior corner  "This thread has alotta Wangs! Discussions on Shadow Warrior only."

User is offline   MetHy 

First impressions of SW2 after half an hour are very good.

Looks great and the game runs very smoothly, too. The intro cutscene was fun, and short, just how it should be.

I really liked the freedom of movement, although I did start running into invisible walls in the very first area, but it still seems a huge improvement in that regard compared to the first game already.

I'm not sure I'm going to like all the RPG elements though.
I was annoyed but the health display of enemies for instance, I know they can be turned off but the game is probably designed with them in mind.

User is offline   ---- 

My first impressions are the same.

It looks and runs great and is a huge improvement over the first one (the one from 2013). Movement and using the powers/skills have been streamlined.

What I like are the options you are given. You can basically turn on and off every bit in the hud and what is displayed on the monsters. You can even change the weapon slots to your liking.

The movement abilities are close to Doom (2016) with double jump, grapping ledges but also with dashing and even dashing while double jumping to cross bigger gaps.

A nice feature is the "Wangopedia". It not only has entries for every enemy (like in Serios Sam) but also for all texts you are presented during the tutorial mission, so that you can look it up whenever you want.

I haven't played long enough yet, to see how the RPG-elements work out.

Overall I must say that I am positively suprised ... and I liked the 2013 iteration a lot.

User Revies are currently "overwhelmingly positive" and the magazine reviews I heard of were around the 90% mark.

I highly recommend it.

EDIT:
I only played single player. I am not interested in coop.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 13 October 2016 - 10:43 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Do the enemies still feel like bullet sponges, with the weapons feeling fairly underpowered?

User is offline   uh . . . . 

View PostMicky C, on 14 October 2016 - 05:33 AM, said:

Do the enemies still feel like bullet sponges, with the weapons feeling fairly underpowered?

I don't know much about the first one, but in this game the revolver will kill standard enemies in 1 headshot or 2 on the hardest difficulty. Shotgun is good up close too.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

SW2 received a 90% rating ("Outstanding") in GameStar, a German gaming mag. They liked it even more than Doom (which got 86%), stating that Battlefield and Call of Duty will have to make great efforts if they still want to compete for the title of the best shooter this year. Looks like Wild Hog nailed it this time.

Thank God I am already finished with World Tour. This is definitely going to be next!

User is offline   ---- 

I would give this game a 8.5.

I had rated it higher if the RPG-elements were more streamlined too. It is a bit much of navigating through all the menues in the Inventory (for a fast paced action shooter) and I read a few people are having problems figuring out how to activate quests and sidequests (they clicked on the buttons below the mission instead of the mission itself). Upgrading in DooM was handeled better IMHO (I like the map system in Shadow Warrior more, though).

Apart from that ... great game. ;)

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 14 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

Reposting my thoughts about this that I made elsewhere.

It's ok, but to be honest after Doom2016 playing playing this feels like going through the motions. The 'loot' system adds nothing of value to the game. The higher difficulties just do the same thing that SW2013 did and buffs up enemy HP and damage, so if you want to micro-manage elements and minor percentage buffs to do anything useful than go right ahead. The 60 weapon count while true doesn't count in to the fact that weapons don't have alt-fire modes and many of them are basically different models with altered stats. They're much more fun to use than the first game though, but still lack the dynamic feel of the original SW's guns.

There's more enemies but again they all feel really similar to each other; most of them just run in your face and attack. There's some boss-ish enemies that all have the same mechanic of spawning 4 enemies that you have to kill before you can hurt it again. There's nothing as painful to fight as the Berserkers or the teleporting witches which is a plus but at the same time nothing elicits any emotion.

I'm not disliking it but it's not really getting into my skin in any way, it's just kinda fun to play as Lo wang again. I don't see myself replaying this soon to be honest, whereas Doom2016 I literally started the whole thing up again in Nightmare mode once I beat it. I haven't finished this yet, by the looks of things it's about roughly the same length as the original game assuming you do sidequests (I don't think that's a bad thing really) I appreciate what flying wold hog might of been going for but the game has the illusion of a AAA shooter but not really enough meat to back it up. I'd of preferred they just refined the first game with better, more interesting level design and weapon varients instead of this strange step to the side with pseudo-MMO mechanics.

User is offline   xenoxols 

I feel the need to add my 2 cents. IMO, It's certainly better than doom in almost every way. The RPG elements, while sort of out of place are actually pretty minimal, if you use your skill points wrong, well it doesn't make much of a difference. The combat is really good. It's not bulletspongy for the most part, though some of the really big enemies have a lot of HP. Though your arsenal is constantly being improved, not just with new guns but with new ways to use old guns (megaman style charge, sawed offs firing both barrels, fanning revolvers, dual wielding, and even using guns as turrets of sorts.) If your computer can run it, then I highly recommend that you buy this game. My only big complaint is that the sci-fi parts of the game are mostly thematically boring, at least to me.

@Jblade There are no altfires, but you get runes that change the regular fire to be a sort of altfire.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

User is offline   xMobilemux 

7 hours in and I'm loving it. Though I like it better playing it in bursts rather than a full run through.

It seems like Doom 4 has once again started up the trend of Doom clones and I'm perfectly fine with that.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 14 October 2016 - 10:24 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostxMobilemux, on 14 October 2016 - 10:23 PM, said:

It seems like Doom 4 has once again started up the trend of Doom clones and I'm perfectly fine with that.

What? If anything, Doom 4 copied other games like Shadow Warrior 2013. Shadow Warrior 2 has been in development for quite a while so I doubt there was a great deal directly inspired by Doom 2016.

I've played about 3 hours of this game and it's pretty amazing. The upgrade system is definitely pretty overwhelming and convoluted though. It's even more complicated than the Deus Ex games which arguably have a much greater focus on the RPG side than this game.

I have some questions:
1. Are those things you put into weapon slots interchangeable or are they stuck for good once you use them?
2. How many weapons can Lo Wang carry at once? All my slots are filled and I'm worried what will happen if I receive another one.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMicky C, on 14 October 2016 - 10:51 PM, said:

What? If anything, Doom 4 copied other games like Shadow Warrior 2013. Shadow Warrior 2 has been in development for quite a while so I doubt there was a great deal directly inspired by Doom 2016.

I've played about 3 hours of this game and it's pretty amazing. The upgrade system is definitely pretty overwhelming and convoluted though. It's even more complicated than the Deus Ex games which arguably have a much greater focus on the RPG side than this game.

I have some questions:
1. Are those things you put into weapon slots interchangeable or are they stuck for good once you use them?
2. How many weapons can Lo Wang carry at once? All my slots are filled and I'm worried what will happen if I receive another one.

You can unequip the slots. Press the minus sign. You can also put stuff in 'junk' and get it back from there.
Weapons can be unequipped.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 14 October 2016 - 11:07 PM

View PostMicky C, on 14 October 2016 - 10:51 PM, said:

Doom 4 had all the fast paced action, hold all the weapons, complex level design complete with keycard hunting, no reloading, no iron sights etc, not to mention was the first recent FPS to go all vertical with double jumping and parkour at least as far as I know. SW1 killed you if even fell a few feet.
Shadow Warrior 2 took a lot from Doom 4 and Shadow Warrior 2013 didn't have much of what Doom 4 had.

Only SW2 isn't full Doom yet, it's still got a lot of Hard Reset in it which FWH needs to get out of their system.

I have some questions:

1: You can change the powerups in the weapons, so for example you can make your shotgun be toxic, flame, ice or electric whenever you wish or give your pistol a charge powerup and then later on take it out and put it in another weapon if you want.
2: You can carry all of the weapons in the game, but you can only equip 8, you'll need to swap out weapons once the slots are all full.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 14 October 2016 - 11:09 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Interesting review. He mentioned near the start that if you had issues with the first game then this one would hardly win you over. Seeing as I didn't really enjoy the first game, I think I'll give it a miss. Hope everyone around here has a great time playing it though. ;)

• Honored Donor

I haven't looked too much into the history of the game development, but I'm under the impression that many of the gameplay features have been in there for quite a while. It's difficult to shoe-horn in features into a game like this in hindsight without throwing off balance. I stand to be corrected though.

I haven't played Doom 2016, but from what I've heard, as the game progressed there was less of a focus on keycards etc and more focus on simply being locked in a room until all the enemies are dead, causing the door to magically unlock. This was a similar problem in SW 2013 and other games. However SW2's level design is much, much more open, which really sets it apart from Doom for several reasons. Not to mention that the Doom franchise never had any kind of rpg mechanics, but again I'm under the impression that the rpg system they have in place is not unlike how Hard Reset and SW 2013 work.

Edit:

View PostMalgon, on 14 October 2016 - 11:14 PM, said:

Interesting review. He mentioned near the start that if you had issues with the first game then this one would hardly win you over. Seeing as I didn't really enjoy the first game, I think I'll give it a miss. Hope everyone around here has a great time playing it though. ;)

I think this game is a lot better than the first. It feels more balanced so far, and the level design is a lot less linear. Then again the balancing issues in SW 2013 only became apparent later in the game when it threw a lot of bullet-sponge enemies at you, so we'll have to wait and see.

Nothing wrong with waiting for a sale if you've got other stuff to do in the meantime though.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 14 October 2016 - 11:19 PM

User is offline   ---- 

To me it also seems that things like double jumping and grapping ledges were in before DooM (2016) was released. That would require too much reworking of all levels. I am not sure about taking no fall damage because I only encountered one occasion (in the tutorial mission) where there was no alternate route apart from a deep fall.

I agree that a lot of things remind me of DooM, but I doub't that SW2 took it all from DooM.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 14 October 2016 - 11:27 PM

I'm gonna stop playing and wait for their patch to come as that bug with the weapon wheel blur is getting pretty damn annoying.

But I'm loving the game and since I also like Borderlands a lot, seeing the color based loot on the battlefield gets me excited to see what I got, SW2 is almost like Borderlands except with far better jokes.
Also I'm glad they decided to up the female factor this time cause those 2 female assassins in SW2013 were boring.
Kamiko is very likeable IMO and extra points for the sexy robots.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I haven't get SW2 yet since I'm seriously afraid those shit happened on it too, and try to finish my other unfinished games/stuck in World of Warcraft... ;)

But I wonder how SW2's save system like? I can accept Diablo-like of checkpoint system but still save my character's everything when I exit game, but games like DooM 2016 and Bombshell's one are no-go for me(only save everything when reach checkpoints).
Looks like now I can only live with games let me save whatever I want or I'll just give up... :(

But even I do want buy SW2, I still wait to it's on sale. :D

• Honored Donor

I haven't looked into it too much, but it's definitely a checkpoint-focused system. There are statues you can stand by to save the game, and you can return to these statues to save whenever you want. They're not too far apart. When you die you instantly respawn at the latest checkpoint without reloading the map, so dead enemies don't come back to life, but alive enemies get some health back. If you're killed by enemies then you also lose some money upon respawning, although this isn't the case for falling off a cliff AFAIK.

Having said that, I think it does save the game when you quit. I definitely saw the save symbol when I exited to the main menu. However I can't remember if I started off at a checkpoint when I went back or not.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I just got this game and started playing it. It's very good overall, but I'm not pleased with the weapon rune system. I feel like it breaks up the action too much to have the player pondering so many choices about which runes to swap out. Also, I didn't notice it ever being explained, even though the game did explain how to climb a ladder, which did not need to be explained.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 October 2016 - 10:45 PM, said:

I just got this game and started playing it. It's very good overall, but I'm not pleased with the weapon rune system. I feel like it breaks up the action too much to have the player pondering so many choices about which runes to swap out. Also, I didn't notice it ever being explained, even though the game did explain how to climb a ladder, which did not need to be explained.

The upgrade system is such a convoluted mess, that explaining it would have taken 13 pages of pure text.

From the three quite similar games of Flying WIld Hog I like the upgrade system in Hard Reset most. They could have done that this way in SW too. Walk up to some magical thingie and then upgrade your skills, or your weapons, or your <whatever was the third in SW 2013>. Which is also quite similar how the upgrades in the new DooM work.
Screw the downgrading to exchange some runes or swapping weapons. Gimme 9 or 10 nice weapons and let me upgrade their firepower on my playstyle preferences or let me add some alternate firemodes when selecting what to upgrade.

With the whole selectable missions and sidequests and the map from where you select where to go and the randomized map parts it would be different enough from SW 2013 to be a new game.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 15 October 2016 - 11:30 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

^ Yeah, having played it some more, I agree that the upgrade system is way too complicated and it slows the game down. Also, I don't like wading through shitty little upgrades like "+3% fire damage". I would rather have a much smaller selection of beefier upgrades. Comparing percentages on runes is more suited to a grinding game like Diablo 3, it's not something I want in an FPS. Still liking the game in other respects, though.

• Honored Donor

I remember reading an interview somewhere that SW2 took direct inspiration from games like Borderlands. I makes sense from a business perspective since they'd be tapping into a large player base.

But you're right, the rune system is completely unnecessary and the game would have worked just as well without it, and the whole "elements" component. To make things worse, equipping several of the runes actually decrease some attributes, meaning you're not even improving overall.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 16 October 2016 - 02:00 AM, said:

I remember reading an interview somewhere that SW2 took direct inspiration from games like Borderlands. I makes sense from a business perspective since they'd be tapping into a large player base.

I have played the shit out of the Borderlands series and it has (since Borderlands 2) a vastly better system in almost every way, so if that was their inspiration then they failed pretty badly.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 14 October 2016 - 09:26 PM, said:

To be perfectly honest, GGGMan has been floundering lately IMO.
At first I valued his honest opinion and agreed with him from time to time (especially regarding games like FNAF being youtube bait), but lately it seems he goes against the grain almost intentionally now, as if it would kill him to go along with the general consensus on something.
Shadow Warrior 2 doesn't look better then Shadow Warrior 1? Come on.
I still like his stuff, but its starting to get grating.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 16 October 2016 - 01:00 PM

• Honored Donor

I wish they'd put more stealth gameplay into the game. Obviously the shooting should be first and foremost, but for all the time and effort they put into that convoluted rune system, I think they'd have been better off working on stealth. There's already some basic stealth stuff in the game; obviously the vanish power. But you also have silent weapons like the bow that don't alert enemies around you when you kill someone. I'm not saying it should do anything extensive like Deus Ex HR's cover system, but a bit more effort would have given the game more depth IMO.

The game is at its best when you're jumping between different levels of the map, having enemies follow you across large areas. At its worst, you're forced to clear out a whole room to meet some objectives like open a chest. This is just like in the first game where you'd need to clear out a room before the exit would unlock, and is pretty damn annoying. They shouldn't have to take away freedom from the player like that. Sure, if it's some kind of boss-like battle maybe, but just having a large amount of smaller enemies that you have to kill, when you've already spent the whole level killing a large amount of smaller enemies, just feels tedious. Thankfully it hasn't happened a great deal yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they start relying on it more and more down the line.

User is online   Lunick 

View PostHulkNukem, on 16 October 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

To be perfectly honest, GGGMan has been floundering lately IMO.

This review after his garbage World Tour review makes me wonder if his mind is in good condition at the moment

User is offline   ---- 

Currently I play on easy, because I think I can beat it without thinking about upgrading. Yes, I upgrade here and there and swap a weapon, but I don't want ot fiddle around with that stuff but slash some demons.

Works fine. ;)

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 17 October 2016 - 12:35 AM

• Honored Donor

I'm about 2/3rds the way through and enemies are starting to get a bit bullet-spongy, however I've finally got my hands on some serious weaponry. A rocket launcher upgraded to around 800 units of damage which is good for taking out tough guys or small groups of medium-tough guys. A gauss cannon with a charge-up that gives double damage makes short work of boss-type enemies. With these two, the game feels 10x more balanced. Steam says I've been playing for 19 hours, but it's probably a shade under ~15 hours, and the game has been able to maintain my interest very well. I've vanished my way through a few fights, but not many.

On the random level generation: there are definitely some areas that seem to recur a bit, but overall the levels feel different enough.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostHulkNukem, on 16 October 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

Shadow Warrior 2 doesn't look better then Shadow Warrior 1? Come on.

Shadow Warrior 2 is definitely an upgrade in terms of detail, but I find the released version rather disappointing looking compared to last year's preview.
For a moment I thought FWH were going for a more natural look, but the end result is a lot closer to its predecessor than I anticipated.
Apart from the bloom, there's still a total overkill of coloured lighting that may even be more extreme than before; at times the game is almost Blood Dragonesque in its grotesque orgies of green, red and blue.
The gameplay also seems rather conservative in its 'noisy' monster grinding with nothing of the emphasis on stealth that the roof hopping 2015 footage suggested.

Share this topic:

• 27 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options