Duke4.net Forums: Redneck Rampage corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Redneck Rampage corner  "Discussions a/b this overlooked Build powered game."

User is offline   Master O 

So did anything ever come from asking Interplay about RR's source code?

User is online   Mark 

No idea. I don't follow that stuff.

I recently checked out the Cuss Pack, and I was disappointed to see that its installation method is simply to provide a set of VOC files that override the normal lines. This means the original non-cuss lines are eliminated, so you can only choose between one or the other. Seeing as how the Cuss Pack lines tend to get repetitious rather quickly, I've attempted to make a mod that merges them into the game without overriding anything. As full and immediate disclosure, though, this endeavor isn't 100% doable right now as some of the lines are hard coded into the exe rather than defined in the CON files.

The following are the instances I could implement the Cuss Pack as alternate lines with 50% random chance:
  • All of Leonard's gibbing remark cusses
  • Leonard's alternate weapon pickup ("Hush puppy!") cuss
  • Leonard's alternate Turd Minion ("Ah, crapnel!") cuss
  • Old Coot's roam, pain, and death cusses
  • Billy Ray's roam and pain cusses
  • All of Sheriff Hobbes' cusses
  • Alien Vixen's alternate "hiya!" cuss

However, the following are still unchanged:
  • Old Coot's recog cuss
  • Billy Ray's recog cuss
  • Leonard's alternate locked door/gate cuss
  • Leonard's alternate crapping cuss
  • Leonard's alternate low health pickup ("Now you're makin' bacon!") cuss

With that in mind, here's the download for the current version of my Cuss Pack Mixed Edition:
RRCussPack_Mixed.zip

To install, extract everything to your Redneck Rampage directory. Route 66-compatible CONs are provided. No Rides Again version just yet. Note that these modified CONs will break demo sync, if you're concerned about that.

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 17 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

User is offline   fgsfds 

I got super mad at this particular key, so I made keys bigger and brighter. Enjoy.

Attached File  rr_000.png (128.1K)
Number of downloads: 112

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 12 May 2018 - 04:43 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Probably breaks some of the "realism" but it's a change for the better, I hate those keys.

Is it possible for you guys to fix the original maps and make them not terrible?

User is offline   NNC 

I think these keys should get recognizable dynamic lights (and maybe even different colors) instead of size.

User is online   FistMarine 

I have posted my thoughts about this game previously on the "Redneck Rampage on Eduke32" topic and I will copy paste the contents of the post into a spoiler:

Spoiler

In short:

-Bad/uninspired level design, especially in the main game (the expansions highly improved the level design at least)
-Bad collision detection of some enemies (especially the animals that are difficult to hit)
-Crappy humor (for the most part, especially when relies too much on burp and fart humor)
-Lackluster weapons (some of the weapons feel too weak and not interesting to use)
-Too much backtracking and difficult to see keys

Overall it plays like a shittier version of Duke Nukem 3D. The expansions improved the game significantly but you know how they say: a polished turd is still a turd.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 13 May 2018 - 02:14 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostRunningDuke, on 13 May 2018 - 02:13 AM, said:

The expansions improved the game significantly but you know how they say: a polished turd is still a turd.

There is only one expansion. Rides Again is a sequel.

I think RA is the most underrated Build game. It has some amazing stuff, Refinery is probably my favourite map from any Build game ever, it's everything a Build map should be.

User is online   Phredreeke 

People complain about Smithsonian Terror, but I spent like an hour each on the Sewers and Smelting Plant levels...

User is offline   fgsfds 

Quick fix. Better sprite and RA compatibility.

Attached File  rr_001.png (84.3K)
Number of downloads: 71

Attached File  TILES000.zip (474.74K)
Number of downloads: 12

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 13 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

User is offline   axl 

View PostMetHy, on 13 May 2018 - 02:51 AM, said:

I think RA is the most underrated Build game.

Yes. Rides Again has a much better and varied level design compared to the first game. A very entertaining game.

User is offline   NY00123 

It was just a few months ago when I finally got to play Redneck Rampage (the original maps) for real,
but what can I say about this specific key - oh boy, that (semi)hidden key!

Looks like I shall really continue with 66 and (especially?) RA at some point. Only had a sneak peek into 66's first map after completing RR.

https://youtu.be/K1M4uHvqsbU

Even Gggman, who thoroughly trashed RR, said Suckin' Grits and Rides Again were significantly better. I'm waiting for the eventual GDX port before trying this again.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 13 May 2018 - 09:45 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I feel Route 66 is much worse than the main game. It feels directionless and is a pain to play compared to the original.

View PostDaedolon, on 13 May 2018 - 10:37 PM, said:

I feel Route 66 is much worse than the main game. It feels directionless and is a pain to play compared to the original.

I feel you're wrong.

User is offline   LAW 

I can feel the smell of Pokemon nearby...

Anyway Route 66 level design seems to be rushed (lack of proper foliage - just simple green walls etc). The levels were cool, but probably it was the worst of all Sunstorm addons.

I don't quite get why people find the original RR levels to be boring or keys to be too well hidden. I love exploration in real lfe. I just go and wander around to see what's behind that hill. I get the same experience in Redneck levels: wandering with nature. Of course for that I need to turn the music off.

Going for a trip in Redneck is sometimes better than in real life, because in Redneck I don't get tired :(

User is online   Mark 

...and you get to shoot chickens. :(

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostLAW, on 14 May 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

Anyway Route 66 level design seems to be rushed (lack of proper foliage - just simple green walls etc). The levels were cool, but probably it was the worst of all Sunstorm addons.

Duke Xtreme is actually the worst Sunstorm addons, along with W!Zone for Warcraft II. Route 66 is a good expansion with excellent gameplay. At least it's not as maze-like as the original game. :(

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The best part of Xtreme was all the mods you could add, not the maps. I loved the new devastator and the new enemies were neat (at the time, even if they never made sense). And the user friendly interface for tweaking game settings like max health, max gibs, etc. It was just a funhouse sandbox Duke utility. I know that stuff can all be done without it, but it was just neat to have the frontend for it all.

One time I increased the max gibs so much I crashed the game when I walked into a fountain of alien parts flying all over the place after shooting one with an RPG.

After having played through RR I'm now nearly done with Route 66 (finished Hoover Dam last night) and I find it pretty enjoyable. Given the amount of mappers who worked on it, I could say that it's (like the Cryptic Passage expansion for Blood) not as consistent as the main game or the Sunstorm Duke expansions.

Finished Redneck Rampages Rides Again last night. I feel it's a mixed bag. Gamblin' Boat in particular is really great. Other highlights were Disgraceland and the Refinery. I didn't care much for WACO and the vehicular levels though, particularly the maze-like swamp levels.

View PostLAW, on 14 May 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

How do you feel a smell you dumb fuck?

I don't like getting into pissing contests with randoms but if you say that RR's levels are not confusing and are not badly laid out then you're either (A) lying ( B ) you looked up a guide or ( C ) you're contrarian. You want to be different from everyone else and just want everyone to know how unique you are. That or you just don't know what you're talking about.

I played through most of RR. It's shit. It has the absolute worst sewer level I have ever fucking seen in any FPS game I've played. A lot of people like to shit on Witchaven but the level design in that game was nowhere near the terrible-ness of RR. I rarely got lost in WH. As opposed to getting lost all the time in RR. That's the main issue that holds back RR aside from the aiming being a little off, the limited animations on enemies, and some bad balance with certain enemy types. But the level design is the big culprit.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 20 May 2018 - 07:23 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostBruno Mattei, on 20 May 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

I don't like getting into pissing contests with randoms but if you say that RR's levels are not confusing and are not badly laid out then you're either (A) lying ( B ) you looked up a guide or ( C ) you're contrarian. You want to be different from everyone else and just want everyone to know how unique you are. That or you just don't know what you're talking about.

I played through most of RR. It's shit. It has the absolute worst sewer level I have ever fucking seen in any FPS game I've played. A lot of people like to shit on Witchaven but the level design in that game was nowhere near the terrible-ness of RR. I rarely got lost in WH. As opposed to getting lost all the time in RR. That's the main issue that holds back RR aside from the aiming being a little off, the limited animations on enemies, and some bad balance with certain enemy types. But the level design is the big culprit.

Umm, this may come as a shock to you but I never found RR's level design that confusing, in fact the level design was one of the few things I liked about the game. The "confusion" was what made the levels interesting to me because every single one of them felt like a puzzle you have to solve. I wouldn't call it good FPS level design because it doesn't really fit the pacing of an old school FPS but I think that if you like point-n-click games or you generally enjoy hunting for secrets in FPS you'll like RR's level design.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

The horrible thing about RR is that the keys are almost invisible. I dunno how many of them I missed because they are so small and black. Which is great when they are placed in dark areas.
That and some switches in really stupid and obscure places were what made RR frustrating for me.

if you were to take the levels of RR (including Route 66 and Rides Again) and compile into one episode what would it look like?

Drive-In
House of Ill Repute (Route 66)
Gamblin' Boat (Rides Again)
The Nut House
Disgraceland (Rides Again) with secret exit to Moto Madness
Bigfoot Convention (Route 66)
Refinery (Rides Again) with secret exit to Uranium Mines
Beaudry Mansion + boss fight
Moto Madness (Rides Again) as secret level
Uranium Mines as second secret level

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Honestly one of the least memorable games from this era for me. Just plain shitty level design and I couldn't "hang" with the humor either. I mean, for a build game it looks great, but that's just kind of neat. Like when somebody made Doom run on a calculator.

User is offline   LAW 

I appologize for my mistake. Here, in Poland we also use the word which could be translated as feel, when we describe our experiences with smells. I didn't know that it doesn't work that way in the english language.

I tell the truth, I haven't had too many problems during my first Redneck playthrough. Who knows, some dumb fucks like me just have luck and I just miraculously finished RR. I am also extremely lucky that I met you, because you remind me of a pigeon. And talking to you is like playing the chess with a pigeon: it will knock over the pawns, shit on the chessboard and it will finally fly away thinking that it won.

This post has been edited by LAW: 31 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

Since M210 is now working on RedneckGDX, the need for widescreen-compatible weapon graphics came up on discord.

I made some for the alien arm gun. https://files.fm/f/7feaq83w

I've put together all (I think?) first person graphics of weapons in the game in this archive in case anyone want to do any of the others https://files.fm/f/pf25mgqf

User is offline   Hang-lip 

I've been playing RR:RA and I feel the levels are as well made as the originals, but suffer the same flaws like obscure level flow (RR:RA improved that some what) and those itty bit keys.

Route 66 levels suck grit, it makes my eyes hurt.

I tried erampage, while it looks a lot nicer I can't handle the bugs.

Xatrix did some sweet things with build.

This post has been edited by Hang-lip: 08 September 2018 - 05:19 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options