Duke4.net Forums: Redneck Rampage corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Redneck Rampage corner  "Discussions a/b this overlooked Build powered game."

View PostHendricks266, on 17 July 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

Someone got in contact with RR's programmer about the source. He didn't rule out still having it, but he wasn't even going to look for it without official permission to release.

View PostMicky C, on 17 July 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

Who do we need official permission from then?

I do own the RR collection, but it would really be nice if there was a port available with better controls and modern conveniences, plus a mod to actually make the game more fair and balanced (more visible keys, better combat balance etc). I hear it has issues.
I'm not implying anyone specific should do it, just that as with Blood, it would be the hypothetical ideal.

View PostTerminX, on 18 July 2014 - 07:34 AM, said:

The guy we need to talk to next is Greg Goodrich, formerly of EA/head of the Medal of Honor games before that was all killed off. The programmer I talked to was Rafael Paiz. After that, I got in touch with Alex Mayberry back when he was still at Blizzard, who told me that Blizzard having rights to RR was only a temporary transfer when things were shuffled around regarding the Blizzard/Activision acquisition. He's the one who told me he thought the rights lied with Greg Goodrich, who was the producer on RR.

I never got around to upgrading my LinkedIn account to get in touch with him... oops! I'll be sure to do that when I have however much that costs to blow on what is probably a dead end again.

If the IP is back in Interplay's hands (and not just publishing rights to the existing titles), they sure didn't care when I contacted them to ask about it. I made it pretty clear that handing over the source would likely result in support for RR being added to EDuke32, giving them a way for people to play a title they presumably still make some amount of money on via GOG sales without having to rely on DOSBox. Oh well.

If Rafael Paiz has the tradmark and owns the RR IP. Could TerminX get in touch w/ him once again and talk to him a/b RR going open source and ask him who do you need to ask permission to release the source code under GPL? Is it Interplay that you need permission to ask? Hope the RR rights isn't in a Blood-sized and NOLF-size legal mess.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I did try contacting Greg Goodrich on LinkedIn when I had a free trial of Premium but he didn't respond.

View PostHendricks266, on 17 July 2016 - 06:49 AM, said:

I did try contacting Greg Goodrich on LinkedIn when I had a free trial of Premium but he didn't respond.

Hmm. Can you try again? There's got to be a way to get a hold of Greg and Rafael a/b this. Frederik Schreiber possesses a copy of Kingpin: Life of Crime's source code. I really like to see Xatrix Entertainment games go open source. Is there a way Fred can get in touch w/ them or something? Interplay has another sale on GOG.com and Redneck Rampage and Kingpin: Life of Crime is on sale. Get them while they're cheap.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 17 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Maybe when Voidpoint is more well-known.

I edited my previous message and got a lighting fast reply from you Hendricks. Hoping you read the entire post after I got it edited.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 17 July 2016 - 05:40 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostMrFlibble, on 29 September 2016 - 12:55 AM, said:

I found five pre-release screenshots of Redneck Rampage in a OGR preview (Wayback Machine link) dated 10 December 1996. All shots show a Duke Nukem/Shadow Warrior-style low-res HUD:
http://web.archive.o...es/redneck6.gif

The preview text suggests that Interplay sent OGR a payable demo. The demo map seems to be largely identical to the map in the public alpha 0.7 demo.

View PostMrFlibble, on 19 October 2016 - 04:45 AM, said:

Here's another preview, this time from cdmag.com and dated 5 February 1997. The screenshots are scaled down but one of them quite clearly shows that the crosshair is the same as in Shadow Warrior. No idea where the site got those screenshots, but they're mostly using official stuff for their reviews and previews.

I just found another preview of the game, by GameSpot:
http://www.gamespot.com/previews/redneckr/

The screenshots are all scaled down but the version of the game is very similar, or identical to the one shown in the OGR preview linked to above. I could not find the exact date of this article's publication. This page dated 4 February 1997 mentions the preview but it's not marked as new, suggesting that it was published earlier than that - quite possibly, in late 1996.

User is offline   necroslut 

Redneck Rampege is a pretty game and they did some cool stuff with the Build engine, just a shame the actual gameplay is total shit. I tried to play RR:RA again a few days ago and I can't believe I actually could finish those games without cheats. A lot of the problems of RA also lives on in for instance Kingpin, sadly.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

RR has a very distinct graphical style for sure.. Pre-baking lights in to textures does look really nice in some instances but horrible in others.
What really works is that Xatrix had a lot of eye for SOS and arcitechture, pushing things to it's limits.

It's really a shame that the end result has some rather mediocre game play and some levels are just not thought out.
RR:RA fixed a lot of the bad stuff thankfully but still it had many of the bad feature still present.

RR:RA is my #1 stop for build levels though.

User is offline   Lunick 

Some people have already pointed this out in various places but I've just noticed that Redneck Rampage will be available for purchase on Steam in 6-7 hours http://store.steampo...com/app/565550/

User is offline   MetHy 

They'd better update that page, there is no info whatsoever, it says "Redneck Rampage" but shows screenshot from the original, Route 66 and Rides Again alike.

Maybe it really is just "Redneck Rampage" but they used screenshots from GOG without paying attention to what they were doing.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 03 January 2017 - 08:08 AM

Wow wasn't expecting this game to come out to steam today dang need to hit the gamestop get me some steam cash

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

Anyone else hyped for the release ? I'm from Germany and didn't have the chance to buy the game legally. Maybe the guy from BloodCM can do a port ? He's reverse engineering the Blood code and really stepped up his game with his last release.

User is offline   LkMax 

Why would anyone be hyped? It's most likely the same as the gog version... Is it unavailable on gog.com for german customers?

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

Yes and No. Customers with a german IP address can't buy the game on GOG themselves. But they can recieve it as a gift from others who are able to buy it. That's how I got my copy of the Redneck Rampage Collection on GOG.
The steam version is probably going to have similar (or worse) restrictions for german customers.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLunick, on 03 January 2017 - 06:36 AM, said:

Some people have already pointed this out in various places but I've just noticed that Redneck Rampage will be available for purchase on Steam in 6-7 hours http://store.steampo...com/app/565550/

Once the timer elapsed yesterday it went back to "Coming soon". LOL.

User is offline   Lunick 

The game is now available for.... $9.99

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Man the reviews are killing it... It is strange that the people who have the rights for it can't even try to make it work under windows instead of Dosbox.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Jesus Christ. Why does nobody know how to do this shit? The Age of Kings port is only now starting to get decent networking. It's been out for years.

You could grab someone who knows XNA off of a coding site and make a better job than this in week or so.

Curiously, the Steam release's EULA is for Redneck Deer Huntin', not any of the main Redneck Rampage titles. This is presumably just a lazy copy and paste error, but it makes me wonder if Deer Huntin' will ever be resurrected from the ether. Maybe there'll even be a return for Off-Road Redneck Racing!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Whoah. I didn't even know that racing game existed.

User is online   Mark 

^ same here

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

I didn't even know it is a racing game.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Upon further investigation it just looks like a random shit racing game that Interplay picked up and slapped the Redneck name on it at the last moment.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostBlitZ, on 07 January 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

Upon further investigation it just looks like a random shit racing game that Interplay picked up and slapped the Redneck name on it at the last moment.

They thought that would increase the appeal?

Of course, why wouldn't they? Just look at the same "Pray" reboot which isn't even out yet.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

But the new Prey actually looks good

It doesn't look like a Prey game which is my point.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 09 January 2017 - 05:34 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

And honestly neither did Prey 2; it had nothing to do with the first Prey and Tommy wasn't even going to be in it originally. Hell, they even said in an interview they weren't going to have the portals, which was one of the biggest factors in the original Prey.
It was a sci fi game with aliens and that was all it had in common with the original.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 08 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

Prey 2? Did I miss something?
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 09 January 2017 - 05:34 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostSledgehammer, on 08 January 2017 - 04:55 AM, said:

Of course, why wouldn't they? Just look at the same "Pray" reboot which isn't even out yet.

View PostSledgehammer, on 08 January 2017 - 08:56 AM, said:

It doesn't look like a Pray game which is my point.

It's "Prey" with an 'e' not an 'a'. Two different words.

View PostHulkNukem, on 08 January 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

And honestly neither did Prey 2; it had nothing to do with the first Prey and Tommy wasn't even going to be in it originally. Hell, they even said in an interview they weren't going to have the portals, which was one of the biggest factors in the original Prey.
It was a sci fi game with aliens and that was all it had in common with the original.

Totally. They could have called it something else. It was the higher ups that said to not have Tommy in it because nobody would relate to the protagonist, but after fan outcry they told the devs to put Tommy back in as a side character.

View PostSledgehammer, on 08 January 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

Pray 2? Did I miss something?

It's "Prey", and yes you did:

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options