Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] BASERAPE - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] BASERAPE  "Open world, military base assault."

User is offline   neoacix 

Trailer (Spoiler Warning!):

Warning: You need a badass PC to run this map in playable framerates!
This map was build for DukePlus with HRP! You will need to install these mods to run the map correctly.
Please read the "How to run this map" and "Recommended Eduke32 Settings" sections in the baserape_readme.txt file, comming with this map.

DIRECT DOWNLOAD

After 3 years, it's finally done. This is my tribute to Duke Nukem 3D and it's 20th anniversary.
Baserape starts as an open world military base assault and get's linear in the second half.
You have to fight your way through this base to prevent a nuclear strike from the aliens.

I started making this map with Polymer in mind and used some Polymer lighting, but due to fps issues recomment Polymost.
Originally this map was thought to be played in multiplayer with some friends and it's prepared for coop and dukematch.
Hopefully we can play this together some day. :whistling:

If you're interessted in further details, read the baserape_readme.txt file.

Have a megaton of fun!
neoacix

=============================================================================================================================

IMPORTANT: Recommended Eduke32 Settings

Renderer : Polymost
Resolution : 1176 x 664 32bpp (lowest widescreen or lower)
Texture Mode : Classic

Polymost Settings

Truecolor Textures : Yes
GL Texture Quality : Barf
Pre-Load Map Textures : On
On-Disk Texture Cache : On
Detail Textures : No
Glow Textures : No
Use 3D Models : Yes

This post has been edited by neoacix: 30 March 2016 - 07:48 AM

User is online   zykov eddy 

Even without the HRP, this map is a pain to play, and my PC isn't one of the worst, it can handle recent games. What's the point of filling your map with lots of models if it doesn't really add up to visual experience? It just limits the number of people who will play your map. I'd suggest spending more time on shading and design, the shading on your map so far is pretty bland. Maybe it gets better later, though.

It's more a Duke Plus and HRP problem, but I'd duggest to add model optimisation, just don't show them if the player stands far enough or doesn't look at them, show sprites instead of models.

I put a lot of models in there, because I like to give some live to some places. But you're right, it's not good for performance and maybe I've overused them.
Shading is mostly a problem of walls and time. Didn't had much walls left and also not much time.

In 2014 I went to a point, where I almost canceled the whole project because of all the issues it has.
But do you know how much countless hours going into a map like this?
So besides all the flaws, I decided to finish it.

And what do you like more? A new map or no map.

Maybe I'll give this map an overhaul someday, but for now, I'm happy to got it in a state where I can call it a finished map.
Did you saw the wall with the name of the map at the start? It says "V 1.0" for a reason. ;-)

Edit: Did you use the recommended EDuke32 settings?

This post has been edited by neoacix: 30 March 2016 - 07:48 AM

User is offline   Gambini 

Judging by what i saw in the video, the map has quite a lot of work spent on it, and on its own way looks interesting. Take Eddy suggestion for next projects instead: itĀ“s not enough that your work runs great on your pc, it has to run at least decently on your target audienceĀ“s average system.

Congrats on getting your map out!

It does have framerate issues for me, on a recent PC with a GTX 970 playing the recommended settings. But none the less, fun shooting pigcops and friends as always. And I can see the detail and work you put into this huge map.

I haven't gotten to the part with the giant robot, is that featured in any other user maps? How does that work? Does it shoot at you?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postneoacix, on 30 March 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

And what do you like more? A new map or no map.

And what do you like more, constructive criticism comments, or no comments?

View PostGambini, on 30 March 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

Judging by what i saw in the video, the map has quite a lot of work spent on it, and on its own way looks interesting. Take Eddy suggestion for next projects instead: itĀ“s not enough that your work runs great on your pc, it has to run at least decently on your target audienceĀ“s average system.

If I'm going to make another map, it will be running like a charm.
Problem with this map is mainly that it's an wide open area with a lot of spritework to achieve the ability to fly over almost every building.
There are maybe ways to do the same in a better way (clustering, TROR), but as I started mapping, I didn't know better and didn't want to rework everything.

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 30 March 2016 - 08:03 PM, said:

Congrats on getting your map out! It does have framerate issues for me, on a recent PC with a GTX 970 playing the recommended settings. But none the less, fun shooting pigcops and friends as always. And I can see the detail and work you put into this huge map.I haven't gotten to the part with the giant robot, is that featured in any other user maps? How does that work? Does it shoot at you?

Thx, glad you had fun with it.
Btw, I also have a GTX970. Footage was recorded on a friends PC with 2 GTX980 in SLI. Map ran pretty good on that machine. xD

To your map questions, the robot is in the map and yes it shoots at you.
The map has basicly a second part inside the underground of the base.

If you want to know how to get there, read this spoiler:

Spoiler

View PostForge, on 31 March 2016 - 02:11 AM, said:

And what do you like more, constructive criticism comments, or no comments?

Don't get me wrong, of course constructive criticism is welcome.
It's just that I know all these flaws of the map and I really saw no real solution for it.
I allready had spend way more time in this map, then I originally intended to and before I was going to change everything, I would have canceled this map.

But as I said before, I'll probably will rework this map sometime, I just need a big break from mapster now.

User is offline   max_nukem 

Great huge map with very detailed environment !
Thanks for the big work you've done !
But it unplayable on my PC :D

User is online   zykov eddy 

View Postneoacix, on 31 March 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

It's just that I know all these flaws of the map and I really saw no real solution for it.

Problem: Your map doesn't even have basic shading on it (shading is much more important part than spritework and 3d models, in my opinion)
Solution: Spend a few hours adding basic shading, that way the map will look much, much better.

I'm thinking of a way to make the map run better on my PC. If I succeed, I'll leave a comment about my experience with the map!

View Postmax_nukem, on 31 March 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

Great huge map with very detailed environment !
Thanks for the big work you've done !
But it unplayable on my PC :blink:

Thx man!
Maybe a later version of this map in combination with newer Eduke32 builds will be more playable.

View Postzykov eddy, on 31 March 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

Problem: Your map doesn't even have basic shading on it (shading is much more important part than spritework and 3d models, in my opinion)
Solution: Spend a few hours adding basic shading, that way the map will look much, much better.

I'm thinking of a way to make the map run better on my PC. If I succeed, I'll leave a comment about my experience with the map!

A way to run this map better? If you suceed, I'll send you some beer. :D

Also, there is some basic shading, but not a lot.
This map started out with polymer in mind (crazy idea, I know).
Example:
Posted Image

If any one here has the mood to go over the map and shade it, maybe tweek it's performance or make things more fun: Let me know!
If you do some good work, I'll put your name in the readme file (with a special thanks of course) and reupload the whole package with a new version number.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Not a good sign when the framerates are suffering even in the trailer... Who made the trailer? Rather slick. I like that EDuke32 splash. That'd be neat to start up the game with.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 10 April 2016 - 10:36 PM

I made the trailer, also I made that EDuke32 intro and you can use it for statup:
https://forums.duke4...677#entry180677
Read the "Using this video in Eduke32 as intro animation" part of my first post. ;-)

I think your map looks fun to play. Great job on getting the wow factor in your trailer. :D.

Thx man. ;-)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Of all 2016 releases I've always postponed playing this one for some special day and the right mood ... (and a DukePlus update ahead :P )
Great job, man! Good use of DukePlus assets to create some 'real place' environment. Hilarious car chase, especially after blowing them up.
I could notice both the long development (i.e.HRP's #1275 and #1276 have switched) and the renderer change (a few different spots needed different renderers to show up correctly).
The Gameplay was a bit spoiled by my frame rate which caused a couple of deaths. Otherwise it seemed well thought and my next PC (whenever ...) should run it fine.
Two observations:
- a cautious player can be blocked for good here:
Attached Image: duke0000.jpg
- wrong place to use damageable pipes:
Attached Image: duke0001.jpg
Overall I had a great time of both gazing and shooting. Keep on [DukePlus] mapping!

Area 69 :P now thats funny stuff right there.

View PostLeoD, on 19 July 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

Of all 2016 releases I've always postponed playing this one for some special day and the right mood ... (and a DukePlus update ahead :D )
Great job, man! Good use of DukePlus assets to create some 'real place' environment. Hilarious car chase, especially after blowing them up.
I could notice both the long development (i.e.HRP's #1275 and #1276 have switched) and the renderer change (a few different spots needed different renderers to show up correctly).
The Gameplay was a bit spoiled by my frame rate which caused a couple of deaths. Otherwise it seemed well thought and my next PC (whenever ...) should run it fine.
Two observations:
- a cautious player can be blocked for good here:
Attachment duke0000.jpg
- wrong place to use damageable pipes:
Attachment duke0001.jpg
Overall I had a great time of both gazing and shooting. Keep on [DukePlus] mapping!

Thx man, very apprechiated! I'm looking forward to new DukePus and Polymer_NG.
Once both is settled I'll go back to mapster and give this map the overhaul it needs to be real good. (May still run slow though -.-)

View PostCaptain Massive, on 19 July 2016 - 07:00 PM, said:

Area 69 :P now thats funny stuff right there.

Did you pass the copyprotection? :)

This post has been edited by neoacix: 25 July 2016 - 01:20 PM

User is offline   Jim 

Can I get a new download for this map? it is asking me for a password. Thanks!

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostJim, on 10 September 2018 - 09:40 AM, said:

Can I get a new download for this map? it is asking me for a password. Thanks!

http://www.scent-88....pe/baserape.php

Thx Forge for posting the link!

Fixed direct download link in first post.

User is offline   Jim 

View Postneoacix, on 12 July 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

Thx Forge for posting the link!

Fixed direct download link in first post.

Is this model supposed to be missing? do I need a higher version of the HRP? Thanks!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 66832996_704365796672947_6006802983713505280_n.jpg

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostJim, on 13 July 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

Is this model supposed to be missing? do I need a higher version of the HRP? Thanks!

No, it seems that this sprite hasnĀ“t been replaced, yet.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options