Duke4.net Forums: Quake corner. - Duke4.net Forums

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

User is offline   Jim 

This mods tries to collect all the custom weapons and monsters so mappers do not have to choose:

http://www.celephais...ad.php?id=61511

User is offline   leilei 

There's three big problems with that:

- There is a limit on the size of the progs generally. Things go to shit in most engines when you cross 1MB (this is at 2mb). It's why "this mod will have everything!" projects never generally happen without serious cutbacks to ambition.
- Legal issues. One of the mods mixed in is GPLv2. One of the mods butchered was decompiled. The mod contains copyrighted assets from the retail expansions. There's probably more of this (haven't checked if the butchered mods have a YOU MAY NOT USE THIS etc)
- Weapon selection of course. Does anyone like pressing numbers multiple times or scrolling a mousewheel a long way to get to the rocket launcher?

I can already predict someone taking this compilation and making a "!!!Brutal QuakE!!!" bundle out of it for the "fame" :/

This post has been edited by leilei: 10 September 2017 - 03:05 PM

User is offline   Jim 

Well, I think the main purpose is to mix and match, not that you have to use everything in one map

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View Postleilei, on 06 September 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

I'd have to disagree. Seeing a DNF Duke with a bored Jon St. John shoehorned into a quake shooter won't make it or Duke any better. What good is Duke without his pipebombs mines, jetpacks, shrinkers and holos anyway

We're talking about Duke's current non-respected public reputation. Ways to bring Duke back into positive light without massive financial/development effort required. Quake Champions is first game to really push this kinda more classic fps design (fastpaced action multiplayer without gimmicks like loadouts) on the bigger scale that is Triple A.

There already is Doomguy, BJ Blazko and folks there to greet Duke with welcoming arms. This one would make more sense than having Duke in Bulletstorm, a linear serious sam style game where you cannot jump and never have to explore for anything either. Atleast in Quake Champions the Duke would have his speed back, most likely his cool lines and he could rocketjump too because he's the Duke.

User is offline   leilei 

View Postspessu_sb, on 12 September 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

he could rocketjump too because he's the Duke.

are you sure about that

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View Postleilei, on 12 September 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

are you sure about that

Yes I'm sure as an avid Quake player, that it would 100% fit for mp that Duke could perform this maneuver aswell, because he's the Duke.

This post has been edited by spessu_sb: 13 September 2017 - 09:44 AM

What's the reason for Quake 3 engine games to have separate executables for SP and MP? Q2 engine and D3/Q4 engine games don't do it, so I'm not sure why only Q3 engine games do.

imo I find it pretty annoying to have to do the game configurations twice (and I guess it's also proof that Call of Duty is still using the Q3 engine till now for whatever goddamn reason).

User is offline   leilei 

When Elite Force did that first it's due to conflicting traps (internal functions called across separate modules), code efficiency (no big chunk of compiled SP script interpreters loaded and no useless bink decoding) and separate project management (Eric Biessman took care of the MP part). It also meant they could open the MP part out to modders, while keeping their SP stuff and secrets (like Icarus for a good decade) under wraps.

RTCW had a whole other team (Nerve) to do their MP.

Another reason for the separation are the game modules often being in QVM instead for the MP to make modding friendlier and enforcing purity checks so the correct game/mod is played across servers and there's less potential security issues. The single player portions are often native code (.dll/.so) instead since they don't need to be going anywhere else. Some subsystems in a SP dll get moved to the engine for the MP QVM so the code can move along much faster (like raven's fx system - it's in the SP client dll and the MP's engine. it would be very slow and limiting to have fx in the mp qvm). Note that QVMs are much slower than native code but they're better for cross-platform multiplayer (i.e. Windows vs. Mac)

Games with the Ubertools toolkit (MOHAA, EF2) don't separate their executables since it's far more unified with its single player implementation. Ubertools games run a fair bit much slower on the CPU hogging side however (even the early single player only ones like Fakk2 and Alice, a multiplayer game on Ubertools released in 1999-2000 would be a flop). Ubertools also doesn't do QVMs.

tl;dr: speed, security, and platform

This post has been edited by leilei: 13 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

Is there any possible way to get a Steam version of ET:QW today? I've seen a gift copy in someone's inventory before, but I forgot what happened to it.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

If you like Doom and Quake, be sure to keep this mod on the radar:

Dimension of the Boomed

It's Doom maps done in Quake style. I already liked the alpha, even though it had far too many monsters in easy difficulties back then (which will hopefully be changed in the final release). According to the author, the project is close to completion after being in development for over a year.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostNightFright, on 05 January 2018 - 03:00 AM, said:

If you like Doom and Quake, be sure to keep this mod on the radar:

Dimension of the Boomed

It's Doom maps done in Quake style. I already liked the alpha, even though it had far too many monsters in easy difficulties back then (which will hopefully be changed in the final release). According to the author, the project is close to completion after being in development for over a year.
I stopped playing when I heard the cyberdemon in the beginning of the first level. The mod looks really cool, but I don't like that kind of wads whit monsters everywhere even in the easiest difficulty. I hope he can change that in the final version.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Arcane Dimensions 1.7 was released a week ago, containing a couple of extra hidden maps, bug fixes, and some new features. Well worth checking out if you have the hankering to play some Quake singleplayer with amazing maps, new weapons and enemies that feel in consistent with the tone of the original game, and, the best part, exclusively projectile-based combat (no hitscan whatsoever).

Posted Image

User is offline   axl 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 08 January 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

Arcane Dimensions 1.7 was released a week ago, containing a couple of extra hidden maps, bug fixes, and some new features. Well worth checking out if you have the hankering to play some Quake singleplayer with amazing maps, new weapons and enemies that feel in consistent with the tone of the original game, and, the best part, exclusively projectile-based combat (no hitscan whatsoever).

The level design is just incredible. What a masterpiece.

I am however experiencing some trouble: the maps won't load automatically after jumping into the portals from the main hub... I have to start each map using the console (map start "x")... Anyone else having the same issues? I am running the Quakespasm engine and loading the game using as follows: quakespasm -game AD.

View Postaxl, on 09 January 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

Anyone else having the same issues?

Sorry, axl, I haven't encountered that issue. Even on 1.7, maps have always loaded automatically for me. You could either try reading through Quaddicted for a solution or Tweeting one of the mod author's about it. He's really great at helping people out:

https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan

Have you tied a fresh install?

User is offline   axl 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 09 January 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

Sorry, axl, I haven't encountered that issue. Even on 1.7, maps have always loaded automatically for me. You could either try reading through Quaddicted for a solution or Tweeting one of the mod author's about it. He's really great at helping people out:
Have you tied a fresh install?

A fresh install fixed the problem. Thanks !

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Anyone here playing Quake Champions? I'm curious about what the general consensus on the game is because in my opinion this shit looks promising as hell.

As someone who is new to the multiplayer side of Quake I get the feeling that after Doom 2016's success in single player id Software is in the process of making a great multiplayer game too. At the end of last Fall QC seemed very disappointing but with the patches in December and January this thing is becoming more and more awesome: in december the netcode and the performance got a lot smoother than it used to be and the latest patch fixed even more issues by introducing new capsule based hitboxes instead of the ones that were perfectly aligned with the models. That solution had a fair share of problems especially when it came to landing rail shots (your shot landed between the model's arms? though luck, that's a miss) but now the hitboxes seem excellent.

When it comes to gameplay QC plays a lot like Quake 3 (so much so that I learned the movement mechanics in Quake Live because QC has no tutorials for that just yet) and that was something that kept me away from the game for a time since I played UT back in the day and found Q3 to be boring from the outset. This is what QC's champion system solves in a great way: now you have a variety of special abilities at your disposal and the champions differ even in their movement systems (for example one guy moves like how you moved in Q1, another's like if you were playing Q3 and there's even a champion that uses the UT movement system), their HP / AP and in the size of their hitboxes. All of this adds a great extra layer of meta game and depth that wasn't there before and it really doesn't feel like a hero shooter like Overwatch with its ultimate attacks, in most cases it's a lot more subtle and skill based.

The presentation can be praised too, personally I never really liked Q3's art style that much and I found Quake Live too sterile for my liking too so I love the fact that QC returns to the Q1 look and feel. When it comes to sound all the weapons feel satisfying as hell and it's cool that all the champions have their unique voice lines and one-liners.

Of course QC still doesn't really feel like a finished product, there is a lot for id and Saber Interactive to do especially when it comes to content but I think the January patch brought the game to a state where it's absolutely a good time to get into it.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 31 January 2018 - 10:35 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Michael Markie started making metal covers for a few Quake 1 and Quake 2 songs. So far there's the Q1 theme and Quad Machine and Descent Into Cerberon from Q2:

And a link to the Q1 theme since it would be too much media for one comment:
https://www.youtube....?v=6uVFx6gIN8c

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 01 February 2018 - 09:58 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Does anyone know if any custom maps exist for Eternal War: Shadows of Light? I think it's possible to convert or use Quake maps with it (since EW runs on a modified Quake engine). I didn't get too far into the full game but played two different demo versions as well, and the level design felt pretty basic. At the same time with the monsters and weapons, it could make for a decent spiritual successor to Heretic couof sorts, if only the levels were laid out in a more more ingenious fashion.

User is offline   Avoozl 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 08 January 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

Posted Image
I see they added the Skull Wizard from Hexen II.

This post has been edited by Grand Admiral Thrawn: 01 February 2018 - 05:02 PM

User is offline   leilei 

Was going to rudely hijack the lameduke crystaleyes thread with this tidbit (since it reminded me):

Quake (starting from v1.06) has stereoscopy support with

lcd_x
lcd_yaw

Hexen II has it but it'll only work with -dibonly. Half-Life (earlier versions) has it but it's completely busted. It doesn't exist in Quake2 (nor the rest of the idTech 2 lineage).

It works by rendering the scene twice with half the height, split among alternating lines. As a side effect you'll notice particles being a bit taller.

This post has been edited by leilei: 03 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

The tracks I linked a few days ago are available to buy as parts of the Quake Champions: Doom Edition OST:
https://markiemusic....c-de-soundtrack
There are some nice original music in there on top of the Quake songs and there's a remix for Infuscomus from the Blood soundtrack too. Well worth the 10 bucks!

Hmmm, Deimos and The Abyss are particulalry excellent:
https://markiemusic....om/track/deimos
https://markiemusic....track/the-abyss

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 07 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

In the SiN thread, Ritual's cancelled Quake 4 expansion pack was brought up, but no media was posted. A friend linked me to the stuff he had noted.

Vitaliy Naymushin's ArtStation portfolio:

"Valkaryne" Posted Image
"Tank" Posted Image
"Retch" Posted Image

Vitaliy's LinkedIn profile:

Vitaliy Naymushin said:

Created all of the characters for Quake 4 the Awakening (expansion that was canceled after 10 months in development) also helped with weapons, vehicles and environmental pieces, also created models and textures for characters in SiN episodes

Ranjeet Singhal's resume briefly mentions the expansion:

Ranjeet"Rungy" Singhal said:

Quake 4 Expansion Ritual/iD/Activision
Director of Art and Animation Technology
Created and documented all Art Dept production processes. Minor Tech support

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 07 February 2018 - 08:53 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

That's a shame that it was never completed.

User is offline   Avoozl 

You can say that again, I remember seeing it a few years back on moddb.

I asked him about the expansion a few days ago, here's what he has to say about it:

Posted Image

The mapping work completed for Ritual's Quake 4 expansion was likely done by Russell Meakim as he mentions having worked on it while SiN Episodes: Emergence was being developed:
https://www.quake3wo...=973649#p973649

I'm too lazy to cross post in the SiN thread, but he also goes quite into detail here about their plans for the cancelled SiN Episodes' Episode Two.

User is offline   KareBear 

View PostMarphy Black, on 07 February 2018 - 08:40 PM, said:

In the SiN thread, Ritual's cancelled Quake 4 expansion pack was brought up, but no media was posted. A friend linked me to the stuff he had noted.

I have a bit more than that,here is everything I have been able to find,

https://imgur.com/a/gQUnZ

Painlord
https://i.imgur.com/uxG67lM.jpg

This post has been edited by KareBear: 13 February 2018 - 07:36 AM

User is offline   KareBear 

I'm just after updating the imgur gallery in my previous post with a mother lode of new images I have been able to find today.

This post has been edited by KareBear: 13 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

TrenchBroom 2 has been released, a useful level editing tool for Quake, Quake 2, and Hexen 2.

Matt Barton has an interview with David Craddock, the author of a new book about Quake called Rocket Jump: Quake and the Golden Age of First-Person Shooters.

The massive first chapter's up on Shacknews.

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options