Duke4.net Forums: Quake corner. - Duke4.net Forums

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

View PostTea Monster, on 23 January 2021 - 07:46 AM, said:

wanted to get to grips with Trenchbroom and see what I could come up with. I'm always too busy with other things.

I recommend Dumptruck_ds youtube channel, he has some great Trenchbroom/ Quake mapping tutorials. I've been watching this one; he's not kidding with the "by the end of it you'll be making maps".

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 23 January 2021 - 10:06 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Pretty cool mod featuring Doom 2016 / Eternal-like content https://www.moddb.co...nt-with-patch-4

Posted Image

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

A 2GB mod for Quake? Gotta check this out.

*EDIT*
Took a first look with Quakespasm-Spiked and gotta say it's executed in a quite competent manner. So far I have played through the converted Q1 ep.1 maps and it's fun to see the deviations to enable new features like ledge grabbing. The upgraded plasma rifle is an absolute killer.

Of course it's clearly visible those models (and textures) are conversions and they don't quite blend in with the standard Q1 palette, but it's just good enough to keep it within bearable limits.

Need to dig in deeper to see the other maps since until now it rather plays like a weapons/monster TC.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 January 2021 - 12:16 AM

• The Truth is in here

Latest map for AD, "Imhotep's Legacy":
https://www.artstati.../artwork/g2XKJE

Func_Msgboard thread:
https://www.celephai...ad.php?id=62016

Not gonna lie, every new AD level seems to raise the bar higher. If I didn't know better, I wouldn't believe this is still Quake. Quality level is too damn high!

• The Truth is in here

Triple-post and shameless self-promotion:

The next release of the Authentic Model Pack (Rev.#23) is out. This time, it's big, thanks to massive and amazing contributions by Tea Monster who created a considerable amount of exclusive content that hasn't been available in any form until now! Highlight is definitely the new Shub, but there's also two new enemies from DoE (Minotaur, Mummy), new pickups for Quake + addons (seven in total, e.g. Ring of Shadows, Biosuit, Horn of Conjuring, Anti-Grav Belt, ...) and more!

ModDB download (with screenshots)
See changelog on Github

• The Truth is in here

Shambler remake we are using in the model pack:
https://www.reddit.c...make_by_skiffy/

No fur.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

I always liked that Quake monsters have this depigmented look about them, like actual creatures that live in the dark.

• The Truth is in here

Authentic Model Pack Rev. #24) has been released. Mostly a service release this time. Highlights: New Quad Damage/Pentagram by Lunaran, smoother rocket launcher animation and skin fixes for Backpack + Anti-Grav Belt.

Project on ModDB
Changelog on Github

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

There is new Quake mod in town with fully pathtraced lighting and PBR materials. This is built off the Quake II RTX code and they hope to recreate the horror and Lovecraftian feel of Quake I.

• The Truth is in here

The detail level of this seems to be really sick, if this is indeed Quake 1. Too bad I hesitated when RTX cards were still available, now the scalpers and miners have bought them completely off the market.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 March 2021 - 03:05 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It's built on the Quake II RTX code, but it's a Quake 1 themed mod with a leaning more to Lovecraftian horror.

• The Truth is in here

Makes sense, basically Q2 modded to look like Q1 (sort of). Still, amazing effort. I just imagined what it could look like if someone remade the official Q1 episodes in this engine/port, but... yeah, not gonna happen, anyway. :lol:

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I just learned that Rexuiz, a Nexuiz Classic fork aimed at low-spec machines, includes the entire Quake 1 campaign due to the level files having been released under the GPL. The textures, models and everything else are completely different of course, making this a pretty odd experience:

• The Truth is in here

Urgh, these bland brick textures everywhere... I mean ok, the original levels are rough by today's standards, but with smart and consistent texturing, they still look pleasant.

With this retexturing, the levels turn into some amateurish noob mapping project made soon after game release.

Not my cup of tea. Certainly not.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 March 2021 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMrFlibble, on 14 March 2021 - 08:08 AM, said:

...includes the entire Quake 1 campaign due to the level files having been released under the GPL

...are they?

View PostLunick, on 14 March 2021 - 01:16 PM, said:

...are they?

The readme included with them says so:

The Original Quake Map Sources
by id Software (C) 1996
Released October 2006 during Quake's 10th Anniversary

These are the original Quake map source files as of Quake v1.06.  I've included the chopped-off
beginning to E2M6 (The Dismal Oubliette) as well, named E2M10.MAP.  The majority of these maps
were created during the last 7 months of Quake's development cycle when we had decided on the
final direction of the game.  For a comprehensive listing of each map, its name, author and
place in the final game please visit the Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake).

Also included with the full map sources are the map sources created for the game's items (armor,
ammo, etc.) which were needed to light the BSP files so the items could be viewed in the game.

You can open these .MAP files with a Quake map editor such as Qoole 99.

Have fun and Happy Birthday, Quake!

John Romero
john@rome.ro
http://rome.ro

These map sources are released under the terms of the GPL (http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl.html).
See the accompanying gnu.txt for details."

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 14 March 2021 - 04:32 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

So here's something I've found myself pondering lately. I've never played the shareware version of Quake, but I've been wondering. Given that Nightmare difficulty is hidden in the fourth episode's entryway, I've started to ask if Nightmare was available to the shareware version?

I'd go check but setting up shareware versions these days is such a pain in the ass that I'd prefer to ask if someone just knew the answer off the top of their head before diving into that mess.

• The Truth is in here

There is no other way to access Nightmare other than through the ep.4 entrance. Since Q1SW only has the ep.1 entrance, it is naturally unavailable. You might be able access it via console commands still, though. Pretty sure it wasn't available in the DOS release at all, though.

View PostNightFright, on 06 June 2021 - 07:11 AM, said:

There is no other way to access Nightmare other than through the ep.4 entrance. Since Q1SW only has the ep.1 entrance, it is naturally unavailable. You might be able access it via console commands still, though. Pretty sure it wasn't available in the DOS release at all, though.

Quick and concise. Much appreciated.

View PostNinety-Six, on 06 June 2021 - 06:36 AM, said:

So here's something I've found myself pondering lately. I've never played the shareware version of Quake, but I've been wondering. Given that Nightmare difficulty is hidden in the fourth episode's entryway, I've started to ask if Nightmare was available to the shareware version?

I'd go check but setting up shareware versions these days is such a pain in the ass that I'd prefer to ask if someone just knew the answer off the top of their head before diving into that mess.

Quake has 2 .pak files, pak0.pak and pak1.pak. pak0 is the shareware, pak1 includes the rest of the game, remove pak1 out of your install folder and you get the Shareware. The portals to enter ep 2-4 are blocked off and give you a "for registered users only" prompt. The Nightmare portal is still accessible.

View PostNightFright, on 06 June 2021 - 07:11 AM, said:

You can still go down the water and access Nightmare, but the portal leading to e4m1 is blocked.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 06 June 2021 - 10:29 AM

I actually remember playing a bit on the Nightmare difficulty in the shareware version (with WinQuake I think). The E4 portal does not work in shareware, but you can walk around the hub level and access the nightmare portal. Took me several tries to get into it.

• The Truth is in here

Well, never tried that. So I guess the correct answer is: Possible with cheating. You never stop learning.

View PostNightFright, on 06 June 2021 - 12:55 PM, said:

Well, never tried that. So I guess the correct answer is: Possible with cheating. You never stop learning.

Nah, no need to cheat. you can go down there, the only thing you can't do is access the portal to ep.4

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 06 June 2021 - 12:59 PM

• The Truth is in here

Ok, then I was completely wrong, sorry. Thought the entrance is blocked up in the entrance hall. I gotta admit, played shareware exactly once and then directly ordered the full version.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

NM is definitely accessible in Quake shareware in DOS. I just did it in DOSBox.

Thanks for the corrections.

Special thanks to Lazy for telling me how easy it is to run the shareware version even if it isn't necessary now. I'll keep that in mind if I somehow come across another situation I want to look into.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 06 June 2021 - 08:27 PM

I forgot to mention, if ever you want the entire installed shareware version, you can grab it at dosgames.com. It does not have the right date stamps on the files (which you'd get if you ran the installer in DOSBox SVN Daum) but it should be fine as it is.

Oh, and I just realised, you can simply extract the contents of resource.1 file from the shareware installer version with 7-Zip, it's just an LZH archive.

• The Truth is in here

Just in case nobody has it on their monitor: Quake's 25th anniversary is coming up on June 22. On that day back in 1996, the first shareware version (0.91) was released after compilation by Romero one day before.

Hopefully, the community will come up with a mapping project for that occasion. Until now however, I can't say I have seen anything indicating significant activity.

View PostNightFright, on 03 August 2020 - 07:10 AM, said:

You will still need the id1 folder content for this.

Recently I discovered the QDOS port and gave it a go with id1 pak replacement from the original Open Quartz.

I was able to run both the 1997 version and the 2020 edition of After the Fall, but the latter only worked if I renamed PAK2.PAK to PAK0.PAK (running this from a separate folder loaded with -game command parameter). I haven't noticed many differences so far between the two, but I barely got halfway through the first level. The hitscan lizard enemies do quite a lot of damage.

BTW, as I expected, the original dev team released a small patch in January 1998 which you can grab here:
https://dukeworld.com/planetquake/atf/

There is no readme but some information may be gleaned from the original site of the project via the Wayback Machine: news section, downloads section. Apparently the patch mostly fixes the AI and one skin. They specifically mention the E2M3 error has not been fixed.

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options