• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

It's rough around the edges, and weapons like the chaingun consume ammo way too fast to be efficient or reliable, but yeah, in general it's a pretty decent TC. Weird I never learned about it before. Shrak was pretty messy in comparison, more like an attempt to use id1 stock textures in a new, creative way. The result was less desirable, to say the least.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Best part of Shrak:

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostNightFright, on 02 August 2020 - 06:45 AM, said:

More than this shouldn't be needed for preserving the original experience. Unfortunately my skills with Quake editors are very limited. So far I was able to fix the start map with a simple ENT edit at least. That one was easy since the ingame error message already indicates what is wrong. Instead of using the skill id 0, they entered the text "(Select Easy)" in the definitions for some reason. This way you are stuck with normal even if you take the center bridge.

I completely agree with you but apparently the author of the update had more radical changes in mind, and brought them about.

Back in 2007, when I decided to fix the bugs, glitches and whatnot in Super Dune 2, the project very quickly evolved into something else beyond simple error fixes, and ultimately became a separate thing on its own, which I called Dune 2 eXtended. But since I had time and effort to spare, I also came back to the original goal and released Super Dune II Classic.

Perhaps it is possible to "backport" the non-intrusive fixes like the stray pixels in textures, to the original 1997 release, and fix other stuff like you did with the light maps.

BTW, is this mode stand-alone? The details on the making of page show he recoloured the Quake font, maybe it would be even better to use the LibreQuake or OpenQuartz font instead altogether?

• The Truth is in here

You will still need the id1 folder content for this.

I was able to run the new version in DarkPlaces with the OpenQuartz2 pk3 file, but it's missing a lot of stuff, apparently.

• The Truth is in here

Between Aug 7 and 9 you will be able to get the original Quake for free if you log in at Bethesda.net and watch Quakecon. If they reach the 10k USD fundraiser goal, Quake 2 will be available as well.

Source:
https://www.gamespot...k/1100-6480419/

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 August 2020 - 01:32 PM

This is in response to a post by RunningDuke in another thread, in order not to derail it.

View PostRunningDuke, on 10 August 2020 - 07:12 AM, said:

Interesting. I didn't know the GOG version has patched WinQuake and GLQuake executables. However I think the best way to play Quake nowadays is to use QuakeSpasm port, download the already ripped music from Quaddicted (the same site that has 1000+ custom maps) and put in Quakespasm folder and then you will have a better time. I should try that as in last years, I mostly played the game in WinQuake (QUAKE.EXE runs like crap in DOSBox sadly, at least if playing on default resolution) and didn't bother with installing music before and never experienced music in Quake 1 before, only listened to it on YouTube. When I finally got original CDs in last past decade, I didn't bother with having CD in drive while playing as I didn't want to always use the CD as it gets scratched, plus I read that on newer OSes the CD music doesn't loop properly. Oh and I remember when I did get Quake 2 as kid (back in 2002-2003) as birthday present, an original XPLOSIV copy that parents bought from the local store, I used to play the game directly from the CD and listened to the kick-ass music (I think that Quake 2 had the best soundtrack from the Quake games) but since then, whenever I played Quake 2, I only played with game already installed on PC and never got to listen to the music again, except on YouTube. I really should set up the first two Quake games properly, as half the fun is having music installed. I just never understood why they chose to have the music on CD. Can someone explain what were the benefits of that compared to having music inside game files?

I've used QuakeSpasm since around 2016, but nowadays I prefer vkQuake. It's based on QS but using Vulkan instead of OpenGL for rendering. There's also vkQuake2 but I believe that's developed by somebody else that has nothing to do with vkQuake. Anyway, I only use it nowadays if I feel the itch to play Quake on a modern setup or if I want to experience more recent mods designed with current sensibilities in mind, but for OG Quake I usually hook up my CRT monitor to my computer using a VGA to HDMI converter or if I'm really in the mood for some old school styled sessions, simply fire up the old Win 98/SE machine under DOS, or use winquake in the regular OS.

I was never a big fan of GlQuake even back in the day; the brightness slider didn't work and it had flickering textures galore. The look was cool for the time but not worth the hassle. Most ports like QS and vkQ are based on GlQuake in how they look and play. In fact, if you use the command line parameter -fitz with them it restores demo playback and all the flickering textures as well. So when I discovered Mark V I was happy to have a software rendered port with convenient improvements, but development is withheld until further notice and the latest version has a terrible issue in which the mouse becomes unresponsive at random times. It also doesn't perform that great in my computer anymore. There's also QDOS, essentially a more improved version of Dos Quake that also has an improved WinQuake version that supports WAV and OGG. However it hasn't been updated since 2016 (at least the winquake variant) and it has issues with displaying certain textures in Scourge of Armagon that aren't present in the original.

Alas, I've given up on a more modernized software rendered port for the time being and have reverted back to using WinQuake. With the patch I mentioned in the other thread, I was even able to restore the classic 320x200 resolution of the DOS version while playing with the benefits of current hardware. Keep in mind that this patch also fixes the music loop issues of Winquake.

As for why music was stored on the CD and not the computer, I can only speculate as I'm not well versed on the subject, but I'd figure is because it would have been seen as advantageous to not have to store what was considered at the time, large files on the limited hard drives of that period.

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 10 August 2020 - 01:54 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostPutrid Pete, on 10 August 2020 - 10:06 AM, said:

In fact, if you use the command line parameter -fitz with them it restores demo playback

Wait WHAT?

How have I never known of this before?!

I should clarify as I believe I used the wrong wording (my bad, English is a second language). What it restores is the startup demos.

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 10 August 2020 - 11:51 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Even so, I can't believe I never knew about this, so thanks for the information.

The loss of the built-in demos is probably the biggest thing I miss with modern source ports. Sure, they're essentially useless, but when returning to these old games I always liked having them over a static menu background. Plus, I always found that the demos are a nice way to get hyped for the game you're about to play, even if it is for the upteenth time.

• The Truth is in here

There's nothing wrong with Mark V besides the fact it can't run some of the more recent Quake maps due to some internal limits not being raised/removed. It can also run Nehahra which is a big plus for me (however, only good if you wanna play it, and you won't most of the time).

Quakespasm on the other hand can run everything but is missing vanilla-style waterwarp and adjustable weapon positioning. It could be added easily I guess, yet nobody has come around to doing it so far.

I am still hoping for someone to bring Mark V back on track. Someone already forked it and labelled it Mark VI, however not a single improvement has been implemented so far.

Well it doesn't work very good for me. As I mentioned earlier, the mouse locks up at random, which judging by some of the comments on the thread where Mark V was posted, is happening to other users as well. Choosing the directx9 version posted on the port's website gets rid of the issue, but it performs poorly for me on Windows 10. It runs just fine in my other computer with Windows 7, but I'm not interested on having Quake there. Even the regular version performs poorly for me albeit a bit better, plus the sticky mouse issue is there.

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostNightFright, on 05 August 2020 - 01:10 PM, said:

Between Aug 7 and 9 you will be able to get the original Quake for free if you log in at Bethesda.net and watch Quakecon. If they reach the 10k USD fundraiser goal, Quake 2 will be available as well.

Source:
https://www.gamespot...k/1100-6480419/

Quake 2 is free starting today.
Quake 3 will be free 8/17 @ 12pm EST
(redeemable for 72 hours)

Just log in to the Bethesda Launcher.

This post has been edited by Outtagum: 12 August 2020 - 12:52 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The Arcade version of Quake is now playable on PC. Apparently it was a copy protection thing that hadn't been cracked yet. But now it has.

I didn't even know there was an arcade version of Quake before.

https://www.pcgamer....uffer-pcgamertw

User is offline   Lunick 

The cool thing about that port is that it has a demake of The Edge included labelled as DM7

• The Truth is in here

Kinda cool, but doesn't look like anything that can't be done as a mod for any current PC port already out there. These constant "Instaprize!" announcements also don't really fit into the serious/dark setting. But maybe that's just me since I am used to the PC version.

User is offline   FistMarine 

Reminder that since yesterday, Quake 3 is free on Bethesda.net launcher. Also forgot to reply in past days:

View PostPutrid Pete, on 10 August 2020 - 10:06 AM, said:

This is in response to a post by RunningDuke in another thread, in order not to derail it.

I've used QuakeSpasm since around 2016, but nowadays I prefer vkQuake. It's based on QS but using Vulkan instead of OpenGL for rendering. There's also vkQuake2 but I believe that's developed by somebody else that has nothing to do with vkQuake. Anyway, I only use it nowadays if I feel the itch to play Quake on a modern setup or if I want to experience more recent mods designed with current sensibilities in mind, but for OG Quake I usually hook up my CRT monitor to my computer using a VGA to HDMI converter or if I'm really in the mood for some old school styled sessions, simply fire up the old Win 98/SE machine under DOS, or use winquake in the regular OS.

I was never a big fan of GlQuake even back in the day; the brightness slider didn't work and it had flickering textures galore. The look was cool for the time but not worth the hassle. Most ports like QS and vkQ are based on GlQuake in how they look and play. In fact, if you use the command line parameter -fitz with them it restores demo playback and all the flickering textures as well. So when I discovered Mark V I was happy to have a software rendered port with convenient improvements, but development is withheld until further notice and the latest version has a terrible issue in which the mouse becomes unresponsive at random times. It also doesn't perform that great in my computer anymore. There's also QDOS, essentially a more improved version of Dos Quake that also has an improved WinQuake version that supports WAV and OGG. However it hasn't been updated since 2016 (at least the winquake variant) and it has issues with displaying certain textures in Scourge of Armagon that aren't present in the original.

Alas, I've given up on a more modernized software rendered port for the time being and have reverted back to using WinQuake. With the patch I mentioned in the other thread, I was even able to restore the classic 320x200 resolution of the DOS version while playing with the benefits of current hardware. Keep in mind that this patch also fixes the music loop issues of Winquake.

As for why music was stored on the CD and not the computer, I can only speculate as I'm not well versed on the subject, but I'd figure is because it would have been seen as advantageous to not have to store what was considered at the time, large files on the limited hard drives of that period.

Interesting. I will check out vkQuake as I heard that people started using QuakeSpasm forks like QuakeSpasm-Spiked and vkQuake rather than QuakeSpasm itself. And yeah about the CD music I understand now. And heard about the -fitz parameter as well but it not only re-enables the demos at start but also changes few other things as far as I know. Honestly I just recommend playing QuakeSpasm as it is, it's a great port for sure but I would mostly recommend for newer mods like the ones that came since 2000s and especially the more recent Arcane Dimensions (the greatest Quake mod ever made, which I hope to play someday). Does vkQuake re-enable the intro demos by default or it still requires -fitz parameter?

To be honest, I never liked GLQuake either. The first time I tried GLQuake, I just hated it and I also remember not being able to adjust the resolution in game. I just preferred WinQuake and this is what I will use to play some old maps/mods. I was thinking to also replay original Quake in WinQuake on either 320x200 or 640x400 resolution. Yes I said 640x400 and not 640x480 because I noticed the aspect ratio isn't quite right (considering game was made for 320x200) and although I used 640x480 in past (and even 1024x768), I just noticed recently that 640x400 looked much better IMO. I use 640x480 in Quake 2 and 3, however for Quake 2 I run it in windowed mode because in newer OSes it doesn't work well in fullscreen, I get colors bug or it keeps minimizing. I never found decent source ports for Quake 2 other than KMQuake2. I know there is Unofficial Patch 3.24 (from the same guy who made KMQuake2) but it still suffers from same issues as the original 3.20 exe and Yamagi Quake 2 I remember lagging on my old laptop (haven't tried on my recent laptop) but I think it worked nicely on my PC. I will have to experiment with some more ports for Quake 2. What are people's recommendations?

As for Quake 3, all versions run fine on my PC, however on my current Win 10 laptop, I found only versions 1.11 (both full and demo, basically the initial version of the game) and version 1.32 (latest, with Arena & Team Arena installed) run fine without any problems (other than a bit of lag but mostly because my laptop uses Intel graphics). But stuff like Team Arena Demo (which uses 1.27b) and the Quake 3 Gold install (1.30) and even Return to Castle Wolfenstein (which is based off Quake 3 Team Arena engine, meaning Quake 3 1.27g), don't work at all on my laptop, the game starts but then shows white image and exits without any error. Any idea to make these work? The only solution is to play on PC. Interestingly, Doom 3 works fine on my laptop but I had to patch it to version 1.3.1 because whatever version was from CD was old and that way I also got rid of the CD requirement. I think this is true for every id software game since Quake 2 or 3. I know the initial Quake 3 version asks for CD but later patches don't require CD anymore.

I haven't installed Quake 4 yet because my PC had trouble reading the Quake 4 DVD (from my Quake 4 Special Edition), for some reason the CD/DVD driver doesn't recognize it (only reads CDs fine), however I then tried on my father's PC and the DVD worked fine, it could get recognized and realized it's the fault of the CD/DVD reader. I guess it's time to repair my PC because I've had some issues with it as of lately. I know it's kinda old (from 2012) and desperately need to buy a new PC. I would prefer to buy a gaming laptop, though. But even if I manage to find a laptop that has a CD/DVD driver in it (the current one I use lacks one, so I transfer my games with my USB stick), then I will run into incompatible setup.exe, while my PC uses Win 7 32-bit and it is still compatible with most setup.exe from old games. I'm a bit lost at the moment...

On topic: over the past weeks I played Quake 1, 2 and 3. I have finished Quake 1.01 (initial release of game in DOSBox 0.74-3) on Normal difficulty this time (I usually play on Hard and I have even beaten as kid even on Nightmare difficulty but using a trick that allows to enable COOP mode in Single Player so you can respawn upon death) and I'm ashamed that I died a lot more times this time around. Because the game runs like ass in DOSBox, too fast and it feels like nightmare difficulty. I died once in first episode (in penultimate level before Chthon boss), about 5 or so times in episode 2, at least 10-15 times in episode 3 and probably 50 times in episode 4. Oh yeah and about 20-25 times in final level because a fucking VORE at end of level kept killing me when I was like 30% health (and got every single health pickup), out of nails and lightning (even though I started level with 68 or so cells, due to a bug in initial release where cells aren't cleared between episodes) and was trying to kill with Double Barrel Shotgun and didn't think to use any of my 50 rockets (because I was always under impression that Vores also have resistance to rockets, only Shamblers have it) and then finally made it with 3 HP after getting frustrated and on my nerves. And got the quad damage secret as well (if this fucking vore didn't block my way, I would have gotten the quad and got rid of it quickly) and finished game.

I HATE to say it but didn't enjoy playing through Quake this time, only because of my obsession to play the games as they are meant to, this came at a big cost as unfortunately due to a no new release of DOSBox in a fucking decade (other than two maintenance releases that do nothing to fix the issues I'm having), we are stuck with 0.74 outdated bullshit which means Quake still runs like crap (and also I can't play Duke Caribbean without that unofficial fix from vogons, this also means other games don't run correctly or even at all such as older versions of Shadow Warrior). Before you ask how I dare to say that about the almighty Quake, let me say that Quake is one of my favorite games of all time, I actually like it better than Doom but not as much as Duke3D, however as a series, Quake is my favorite.

Even with all the secrets I've found (I knew majority of secrets and how to access them, had only to look up for the secrets I was missing) and even with picking up health when I actually needed and saving armor pickups for later (except those that I picked up because they were in the way), I was still getting ass kicked many times and had to look for health, mostly because of the game's fast speed, I was eating ogre grenades at almost every encounter and other monsters were also often hitting me with their attacks. Was Quake ALWAYS this brutal? Remember: I played on NORMAL difficulty, not HARD or NIGHTMARE. Why was so fucking hard even though I know the whole game like the back of my palm? And I was supposed to have an easier time on NORMAL skill, last time I played Quake was on Hard skill and died once or twice in the whole game, this time I had to die so many times only because of game running way too fast!

Oh wait, I forgot to mention an important detail: Quake runs like crap in dosbox on the DEFAULT 320x200 resolution, it runs fine on higher resolutions, though on my laptop is still running fast even on 640x400/640x480 as far as I remember a year ago, only at 1024x768 runs fine. But I just wanted this time to play on default resolution since I missed the normal sized menus and text, I was used with the tiny ones from higher resolutions. And please don't suggest me QuakeSpasm and other stuff, I'm not stupid, I wanted to play Quake in various ways, it's not like I choose 1.01 in DOSBox to torture myself, I haven't played the initial 1.01 version in nearly 15 years. I was used to version 1.08/1.09 WinQuake in last 10 or so years. Oh and I played with KEYBOARD controls only (arrow keys and such) so of course it was also harder to aim and dodge the attacks. Don't accuse me I suck because I don't.

OK enough ranting: I'm going to replay Quake in two ways:
Quake 1.06 in DOSBox on Hard difficulty with the COOP respawn glitch (assuming this glitch still exists in later versions, I know it worked in the initial 1.01 which is what I only had as kid) so if I die I can just continue from start of level without bothering with save/load.
WinQuake on Hard difficulty without any glitches, I guarantee I will finish with little to no deaths! Because you know, WinQuake actually runs fine even on my laptop and on 320x200, it runs at normal speed!

Then I will play mods like the 5th episode (Dimension of the Past) and certain older maps and mods because I never played them before.

As for Quake 2, a while ago I finished the test (beta) and demo versions on medium, hard and nightmare. Died once on hard and nightmare difficulties on the demo 3.14 version (fucking shotgun guys at beginning) but other than that Quake 2 is still really easy, though a bit harder with keyboard controls only. I finished the full game last time on Hard difficulty (back in 2018) without any deaths (however I used Mouse + WASD keys), this time I'm playing on Medium and default keyboard controls (arrow keys and such). I'm currently on the second chapter/unit. Only thing I hate is the game sometimes crashes when I'm about to surface from water. I will see when I will play the expansions, I only finished them once in KMQuake2 port (probably on Medium difficulty and probably with infinite ammo cheat/trick that I found as kid) because the original exe had issues with loading the saved games, have no idea why but the error was "function pointers have moved" or something like that. I hope I can finish them legitimately this time, as before I using KMQuake2, I beat them in original exe with warping to final level from multiplayer menu, meaning I played in coop mode and with Blaster only. Was a pain in the ass. Though to be fair this is how I also played Quake 2 first time, after I got killed in first few levels and giving up, since I was already playing first Quake in SP COOP mode at that time, I tried to see this glitch works in Q2 as well. It doesn't but you can start game directly in COOP mode (offline multiplayer) and it still lets you save game with the caveat you can't pause your game.

As for Quake 3, I finished the initial 1.11 release on Bring It On and latest 1.32 release (both Arena & Team Arena) on Hurt Me Plenty difficulty and wasn't too bad, although I finished each map in first try (on first place), I did get frustrated when I died often in some arenas (this applies to HMP difficulty where I finished 11 maps without dying, while on BIO I finished 22 maps without dying), like for example I remember dying few times in a row from Hunter (because when she uses Lightning Gun on you, you are fucked even with full health and 150+ armor!) and Klesk with his fucking aimbot railgun at few meters away (yes really) but somehow I even beat Xaero perfectly without dying and I admit my Railgun aiming isn't the greatest but I did get a fair amount of Impressives as well. I know Xaero becomes an aimbot on the two hardest difficulties but to be honest, I didn't bother completing Quake 3 this time on Hardcore or Nightmare, I never even managed. The closest I got as kid was beating half of maps on HMP, then the other half split between Hardcore and Nightmare. But otherwise, I never beat ALL levels on Hardcore/Nightmare (except with some cheats/tricks like kicking the bots from the server with /kick command and then adding easy ones, the level still counts as completed on chosen difficulty). Interestingly, a few years ago I played OpenArena and beat all levels on Hardcore difficulty, only one level took me like 3-4 tries but rest I did in first try (and only one level I had done without dying). So that means I'm pretty good at Quake 3, I think I should beat it entirely on Hardcore next time.
One tip I can give is try to time the pickups (powerups and armors) and grab as much ARMOR as you can because armor stacks until 200 (though it goes down to 100 over time just like with the health) and absorbs 2/3 damage, I found it much more useful because the mega health/regeneration powerups are rather rare (some maps have the +5 health globes but be sure to pick those as well) and I found you can easily survive many shots and you can just restock on health/armor after a fight, if you survive and know the map and item placement.

For Team Arena, there isn't much to comment on the Team matches (CTF, One Flag, Overload and Harvester) and they were easy for the most part (the bots on your team are pretty good and helpful), the tips I can give is try to grab one of the two best runes, which are Doubler and Guard. If a map has a lot of armor available and even health (mega health, regeneration) try getting Doubler before other bots get it and get as much health/armor as possible, Doubler will also be great for countering other bots that have the guard rune (I hate whenever a guarded bot gets the flag! it takes forever to kill it.), also Doubler + Quad Damage = Overkill! And if a map doesn't have much health/armor available, get the Guard rune and you will mostly become a walking tank with maxed health/armor (you get instantly 200 HP/Armor regardless what you had before picking up, kinda like Megasphere from Doom 2) and you should survive most encounters but the best thing is you have unlimited regeneration (if you pick up a regeneration powerup while having Guard, it doesn't do anything in this case) and health is maxed to 200, meaning you can pick up the regular health pickups and the armor doesn't go down to 100 if you have more than that. The two other runes are Ammo Regen (makes ammo regenerate and also makes attacks slightly faster) and Scout (makes you run and shoot faster but prevents you to get any armor and discards any armor you currently have). If the bots got every useful runes and only these two are left, it is better to get one of them than none but if the map has a decent amount of armor available, it may be wise to ignore the scout rune and just go without any rune and grab the armor, so you aren't too fragile in a fight (though Scout can be used to easily dodge enemy attacks and also just grab the flag and run with it while ignoring enemies). Also for the 4 tournament maps against bots, I got a bit frustrated at the maps where you fight Fritzkrieg and Janet. I beat them both 10 to 5. On the other hand, the fight with Pi was easiest, beat 10 to 0 and perfect! I also beat James, 10 to 0 but I died like 2-3 times (one time I fell into pit and so did the bot two other times he killed me) and the game still awarded me with "Shutout Bonus" (this happens when the opposite bot/team has 0 score).

Overall, I really recommend Team Arena, it's underrated and REALLY FUN! I actually think some things are even better done than original Quake 3 Arena (for instance CTF was already there since the initial release of Q3A but the TA version made it even better with the new weapons and runes). I know Quake Live is based off both Arena & Team Arena but too bad it's no longer free, I used to play it back in 2010-2011 and it was fun! I liked some of its features and training maps and even those community maps as official maps (that's basically the equivalent/precursor of the addons becoming official for the recent Doom ports). Sadly the 2014-2015 updates kinda killed it (with loadouts and the removal of TA weapons, though they added the new Heavy Machinegun to compensate which was pretty good but I will miss TA weapons) and the fact the game was migrated to Steam and no longer free and also added Steam Workshop which I never liked (due to the fact anyone can upload anything here and some people claim maps as their own. And yes I know it was free even on Steam for a year but I no longer have that Steam account which had Quake Live. It's a shame.

If anyone is wondering about on what difficulty I play (and why I find some games too easy/hard), when I was a kid, I played mostly on easier skills and had fun but I also found them often too easy (in case of Quake 2 I refused to play on Easy as it was way too easy and noticed you take half damage, I was doing fine on Medium and even with keyboard controls, while for Doom games and Heretic and Hexen I also found easiest too easy, in case of Heretic and Hexen noticed how the Quartz Flasks and Mytsic Urns get automatically used when you are about to die), so I played these games on second difficulty I think, while since 2010 or so until last year usually I played on harder skills, this includes the Hard equivalent for Quake games, CGS for Duke3D, UV for Doom and so on.
This time I decided to go toward the normal difficulties and I'm having a better time in certain situations. Because I often get frustrated when I die and lose in video games, you can say I have no patience these days, which is true but then again I wasn't a very patient person. Although Quake 3 has always been a frustrating game (even when I was kid I was raging so much at it when I was losing and even when playing online) but these days I keep my calm and only get frustrated if I unfairly die (if a bot somehow seems to kill me quickly even after I shot at him a lot of times) and even lose a match but thankfully this hasn't happened these days when playing Quake 3.

Sorry for this long post, I didn't intend to write so much and taking me 1-2 hours to write. Oh and that Arcade version of Quake seems interesting, I just read about its existence last year for first time and I'm glad to see there is finally a way to play it on PC! I will think about it in next days/weeks after I finish with my regular Quake playthroughs and see what's this version about.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 17 August 2020 - 11:59 PM

• The Truth is in here

If you want a more recent Dosbox release, use EmuCR Dosbox. It's a fork and updated very frequently, usually once per week. By now it's miles ahead of official Dosbox builds regarding speed, stability and compatibility.

Thanks for the suggestion, NightFright. I didn't even know about this EmuCR DOSBox fork. I only knew others such as DOSBox ECE and the SVN versions of DOSBox available on the Dosbox ECE website, which I actually tested a few months ago and noticed that Quake runs fine in those versions but I completely forgot about them and was assuming that a new DOSBox version will release sometime in July/August (as the maintenance releases were released during summers of 2018 and 2019) but so far I was wrong and expected too much. Their website actually mentions this:

Ideally, 0.75 should have been released by now, but some bugs took a lot longer than expected.

Really disappointing to see dragging the 0.75 release so much when it should have come out ages ago. I know I have been called impatient many times but I have my limits and hate to see things getting dragged for years without even giving updates on what's left to do before releasing. Of course it wouldn't be a good idea to release buggy products but it would have been much better to release a new version at every 3 or so years than nothing at all, in whatever DOSBox state it is currently, it's way better than the old outdated 0.74. I will stop talking about DOSBox and I will try to contact DOSBox team for my problems regarding DOSBox, to not drag the topic further.

Now to get back on topic, I haven't started yet playing Quake 1 seriously this time (and those maps/mods which I will list another time, if anyone is interested) but I did play a custom Quake 3 Arena map by id software themselves (that wasn't included in main game) and another for Team Arena, also by id software themselves and again wasn't included with the game. Both can be downloaded here:
https://lvlworld.com/review/id:1631
https://lvlworld.com/review/id:1670

On a side note, if anyone is interested in getting a little patch/mod to make the 3 unused maps (as well as that map mentioned above) added as single player levels in Team Arena, let me know. All the patch does is add these 4 maps into single player menu (for all 4 gametypes) because for some reason the 3 original maps (Distant Screams, Final Strike and Beyond Reality) weren't included in SP menu (no idea why, as I played the maps recently with my patch and the maps played nicely) and that way, when you play them in single player, not only it properly puts the bots/teams for you (as with the rest levels already defined) but it also records the statistics and a demo (if you choose Record Game option) so you can watch it later. And I added that map "Beyond Reality II" as well because it's made by id software themselves and fits nicely alongside rest.

NightFright, have you played the mission packs for the Quake games? If yes, then what do you think about them? Did you like them or not?

View PostRunningDuke, on 17 August 2020 - 11:44 PM, said:

I HATE to say it but didn't enjoy playing through Quake this time, only because of my obsession to play the games as they are meant to, this came at a big cost as unfortunately due to a no new release of DOSBox in a fucking decade (other than two maintenance releases that do nothing to fix the issues I'm having), we are stuck with 0.74 outdated bullshit which means Quake still runs like crap

Well to be fair, the DOS version of Quake was never meant to be played in DOSBox. A "true" experience would be running it on period hardware.

The problem as I understand it is not in DOSBox's development being incomplete, it's just that Quake is too resource-demanding, which is conjunction with DOSBox being resource-demanding too, because it emulates and entire PC, results in suboptimal performance.

Also I don't know if you tried your own DOSBox configuration or stuck with the Steam/GOG/whatever defaults, please bear in mind that max CPU cycles which is the default setting may produce undesirable results (depending on your host machine setup), i.e. the game running too fast, too slow or glitchy.

• The Truth is in here

Armagon is definitely the better of the two Quake addons. Levels are bigger and more detailed than in the original episodes and they were definitely trying to go for a different style. I also liked the new weapons, especially the lasergun since it's a bit overpowered. On the other hand, the scorpion was really annoying - even more so the gremlins.

Dissolition is so-so. Levels are mostly standard, only the last 2-3 maps really convinced me. Weapons are nothing special, only modded standard guns that are even more powerful. Lava nails and multi rockets, pff. The anti-grav belt on the other hand was quite fun. Would have liked to use it more, not just for reaching some secret areas. But hey, at least you finally get to fight a dragon - which was already planned for the original game before they rushed it to release.

SoA gets 8.5/10 from me, DoA maybe a 6/10. Best community campaigns for me until today are still Nehahra (unforgettable: the speaking "Get outta my kitchen!" ogre), Travail (truly epic journey) and Arcane Dimensions (even though rather a collection of maps, but all amazing). Also recommended if you want something that really could have been part of the original release: Beyond Belief or Dimension of the Past.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 August 2020 - 11:42 AM

View PostMrFlibble, on 19 August 2020 - 01:29 AM, said:

Well to be fair, the DOS version of Quake was never meant to be played in DOSBox. A "true" experience would be running it on period hardware.

The problem as I understand it is not in DOSBox's development being incomplete, it's just that Quake is too resource-demanding, which is conjunction with DOSBox being resource-demanding too, because it emulates and entire PC, results in suboptimal performance.

Also I don't know if you tried your own DOSBox configuration or stuck with the Steam/GOG/whatever defaults, please bear in mind that max CPU cycles which is the default setting may produce undesirable results (depending on your host machine setup), i.e. the game running too fast, too slow or glitchy.

That's the problem. I no longer have the old PCs we had back in mid/late 90s. When we got a new PC in 2003 or so (which had Windows XP on it), parents sold the older PC/PCs to someone else and I remember sometime in those years (probably around 2005-2007), I couldn't play Quake at all because we no longer have older OSes installed, just Windows XP which couldn't play Quake at all and the other DOS games (Doom shareware, Doom 2, Duke3D, Heretic and Hexen) ran with a lot of lag (probably caused by sounds, because if played without sounds they ran at normal speed) so it was painful to play those games but since I played on easiest or second easiest skill, it wasn't that bad, just highly annoying. I didn't know of DOSBox or source ports at that time, first time I found DOSBox was in 2011-2012 (around time I also got a "new" PC which is the PC I still use these days) but by that time I already found WinQuake and DarkPlaces so this is what I used to play Quake in those years, I even stupidly downloaded that stupid "Ultimate Quake Patch" (unrelated to Ultimate Quake compilation which confused me a bit) from steam forums to play Quake and ran into various issues, like in second expansion (at that time I didn't own the expansions legitimately, got them from various other sources) there was an elevator bug and the Plasma Cannon sometimes fired shots that hang in air. Only since 2015-2016 I just got into playing Quake in DOSBox but using higher resolutions (because I found it unplayable running too fast) and then I wondered why I couldn't just use WinQuake or a source port like QuakeSpasm instead? Then recently I wanted to play Quake on 320x200 resolution in latest official DOSBox, because I haven't played the initial release since years!

But yeah, I understand that Quake is too resource demanding. Also I used the default DOSBox configuration, no I don't have the Steam/GOG versions (only legal digital version I have is the Bethesda.net launcher version that was given away in past 2 weeks) because I already have 4 retail Quake copies. Quake 1.01 registered is from the CD with games called "3D Action Games Collection" that I keep talking about (that also had Duke3D full and other games on it) if you want more details about these "shareware" CDs I can PM you. Then I have original CD Quake 1.06 from id anthology and two copies of Quake 1.08 with WinQuake/GLQuake (original Quake CD and Ultimate Quake compilation). I have an original copy of both expansions as well, however the copies I got last time (ebay, December 2019) were sealed and I kept them sealed (the jewel cases) so far because they look nicely sealed. I remember finding a better and rarer combo Mission Packs CD that was sealed (and had Quake CD included in same listing as well, though wasn't sealed, just Like New condition) but too bad the seller didn't ship to my country and eventually someone else got the item. :) Then few days later saw that listing with Quake CD (WinQuake release) and the expansions as separate CDs and sealed but the catch was it was a bit more expensive and well I had to buy this and I don't regret the decision too much. That combo CD with the mission packs would have been an excellent addition to my collection and could have sit alongside my Duke3D Kill a Ton CDs which are sealed (though I unsealed last month CD 2 because it was a bit damaged inside, the CD is fine thankfully). I still intend to buy that Mission Packs CD combo again (I actually got it once in 2014 or so from eBay but it was in used condition and the CD was quite scratched and eventually sold it as it was barely read by the CD/DVD driver, remember sometimes having trouble copying the mission packs folder from the CD because it failed to copy one of expansions). I will talk about my video game collections another time, if anyone is interested.

View PostNightFright, on 19 August 2020 - 11:29 AM, said:

Armagon is definitely the better of the two Quake addons. Levels are bigger and more detailed than in the original episodes and they were definitely trying to go for a different style. I also liked the new weapons, especially the lasergun since it's a bit overpowered. On the other hand, the scorpion was really annoying - even more so the gremlins.

Dissolition is so-so. Levels are mostly standard, only the last 2-3 maps really convinced me. Weapons are nothing special, only modded standard guns that are even more powerful. Lava nails and multi rockets, pff. The anti-grav belt on the other hand was quite fun. Would have liked to use it more, not just for reaching some secret areas. But hey, at least you finally get to fight a dragon - which was already planned for the original game before they rushed it to release.

SoA gets 8.5/10 from me, DoA maybe a 6/10. Best community campaigns for me until today are still Nehahra (unforgettable: the speaking "Get outta my kitchen!" ogre), Travail (truly epic journey) and Arcane Dimensions (even though rather a collection of maps, but all amazing). Also recommended if you want something that really could have been part of the original release: Beyond Belief or Dimension of the Past.

Interesting. I personally really like both expansions, I think they are the best mission packs/expansions ever made. Yeah, SoA seems to be the better one of the two and has excellent additions but I also enjoyed DoA a lot (only nitpick I can give is some levels are a bit confusing) but I thought its new additions are also interesting, even if the "new" weapons are just alternate firing modes for existing weapons (that require the new ammo types) and yeah that Dragon is a very interesting boss and I know it was planned as an enemy in original Quake. It's been a while since I played the expansions (last I played in 2015 or 2018). I also love the Quake 2 mission packs and Quake 3 Team Arena and would like to hear your opinion on those if you have played them.

As for recommendations, funny how you mentioned Beyond Belief and Dimension of the Past. They are on my to play list and I even considered them as semi-official expansions, Beyond Belief was even made for DOS Quake (if I'm not mistaken, its demos mention version 1.06 when they start playing) and DOPA is made for WinQuake (demos mention version 1.09) and I only watched the intro demos a while ago. But yeah, I will definitely play DOPA soon, just wait until I finish with other things first.

I heard about Nehahra a lot and is it actually a playable mod or sort of a movie made within Quake? Or both? I will definitely want to check it out, the ogre speaking sounds funny. Travail also sounds interesting (I think this came out in 2007?) and yeah we all know about Arcane Dimensions, best Quake mod ever made. There are many others and even a "So you want to play some Quake?" guide which I have been checking as of lately. The problem is I don't know what to start with.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 19 August 2020 - 10:32 PM

• The Truth is in here

For Nehahra I think there was a Machinima movie called "The Seal of Nehahra" which has an insane runtime of almost four hours, the longest one of its kind until today. Done by just one guy. Watching it is not necessary, the game itself already comes with a 20min (!) intro which is tiresome enough to get through. Gameplay is hard, especially if you don't turn off the "enhanced" AI which turns hitting monsters into a matter of random chance since they jump around erratically as if they had constant epileptic seizures. I mainly like Nehahra because of its levels and various texturing styles. You have idbase, Rubicon, Kingpin, Unreal and others, which adds a lot of variety and different atmosphere. There's that map with a giant castle seemingly appearing out of nowhere which can take you hours to explore, certainly my personal highlight. Port of choice btw: Mark V. Not that there are many others with Nehahra support (if any, actually). I can vouch for this one since I was one of the most active beta testers and can say we got it working as smoothly as possible.

As for Quake 2, I could never fully connect with it. It's fine for what it tries to be I guess, but even the addons don't really add anything new to the table. More of the same, mostly. The soundtrack is what sticks out for me. Q2 is more like a giant tech demo with standard gameplay and an underpowered rocket launcher mounted on top of it. Maybe I am not doing the game enough justice, but I am playing Q1 a lot more than the second one. There are a few good mods for it, but I have never tried any of them.

Quake 3, oh well. I played the so-called singleplayer campaign 2-3x maybe, but it's nothing that can get me hooked. Q3 is all about learning the details of single maps to be there on time for that key item spawn you need to gain the upper hand. TBH not my cup of tea. Multiplayer is so hectic and you don't have time to explore or enjoy the scenery for at least a bit.

Actually Quake 4 was quite decent, though. Surprisingly long campaign, like a merge of Doom 3 and Quake 2. Still this militaristic scenario, but at least with more depth and story. Sadly it marked the last hooray for Quake singleplayer and we are only getting fresh material thanks to the Q1 mapping and modding community.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 August 2020 - 12:30 AM

Ah, I see now. Thanks for clarifying! I trust you and I will use Mark V to play Nehahra or actually for the first playthrough, maybe on NORMAL skill, use the port it originally used since if I'm not mistaken it came with its own engine, called the Nehahra engine or something like that. And thanks for warning about the difficulty of mod, I heard before that it's pretty tough. The difficulty in original Quake varies (not counting the recent experience with that insane DOSBox speed that made the game way harder than it should be, kinda like a harder nightmare mode with Normal enemy placement) and I only remember one level frustrating me in the first expansion pack (the one with the Lightning Generator at end of second episode with Shamblers at end, it was actually made by Levelord) because the first time I played it I was stuck with 30 or so HP and couldn't turn off the generator before getting electrocuted to death, didn't know all secrets and already consumed every health/armor pickup available in level, so had to restart the level from beginning. Another level I remember frustrating was from the so-called third expansion (Abyss of Pandemonium) which had a level with 3 or so shamblers at end of it and no cover, couldn't kill them fast enough before dying. In both cases I was playing on Hard but I have become much better since then and I have faster reflexes and I know more secrets (as I check for missing secrets on YouTube videos) since I like getting everything.

BTW just reminded and wanted to share. A small warning note for those who don't know, there is an infamous rune glitch that many people encounter. This mostly applies to original Quake levels and versions (not sure which source ports have the bug fixed) but I think there are some custom maps/episodes that have runes in them. The glitch makes the runes randomly disappear from your inventory and it is caused by dying and restarting the level from beginning by pressing space. While you get to keep the same stuff you entered the level with, the runes simply disappear. From my troubled DOSBox playthrough of initial 1.01 release, I finally realized how exactly it happens since I died often and pressed space in anger sometimes (then reloaded save since on some levels I didn't have patience to redo whole level up to the point I died). If it's the current session and you die in any level you played, the runes are still there in inventory. However if you quit game and come back to last level you played, say...E2M5, if you die and restart the level, the runes disappear (usually by that point the first rune, unless you played the episodes in other order). If you enter E2M6 in same session and then die, the runes are still there. But if you save, quit game and resume, then if you die and restart, the rune will disappear. If you are at end of E4 and die (when you resumed the game after a break) and restart level from beginning, you will lose all runes and you are screwed (in worst case scenario, meaning you will have to redo first 3 episodes). This glitch I remember happening as kid but whenever it happened, I usually reloaded save, so I hardly noticed this even though I play with full status bar enabled (some people play with just the bottom part of HUD). First time I lost runes was when I was in final level because first time I played the level I stupidly forgot the Double Barrel Shotgun in first room (no idea how I managed that) and then died on purpose to get it (after I had finished the game already, was like 6-7 years old at that time back in 2001-2002) and noticed all the runes disappeared. However since I was already entered in final level, this had no effect on gameplay but then I redid Quake so I can have a better save. I was a bit disappointed when I reached ending first time, as I wanted more Quake and remember seeing on some video game magazines some screenshots of Quake on some levels I never even played and wishing to play those. During that time, I found those six Deathmatch levels (when messing around with the multiplayer menu) and then I found the coop glitch that I mentioned earlier, sorry for so many details! And the solution to the rune glitch is to save the game often and use multiple slots, then if you die, reload your save!

I enjoyed Quake 2 as well for what it was but I remember first time I got it at age of 7-8, I was a bit disappointed it wasn't exactly like first Quake, I don't know why but I expected it to be like first Quake because I saw the Quake 2 logo on the XPLOSIV DVD case was nearly identical to the one in first game and looked on back screenshots on the DVD case, I think I even saw Ranger's HUD face from first game (it was probably a planned feature or placeholder, Quake 2 Test has Bitterman's face on HUD but final game features a red cross icon for health) and assumed it was more like Quake 1. Also due to the angle the screenshots were taken, I assumed the monsters were gigantic too. Then I first got into game and was disappointed (also the game lagged at that time for some reason, I was either still having Windows 95 or Windows 98 or Windows 2000 or ME, I wish I could remember the exact events!) because it wasn't like Quake 1 but I REALLY liked the soundtrack it had, that is probably the best thing about the game. I still used to play Quake 2 a lot, mostly by starting random levels in coop mode with blaster only because first few times I played the game, I played directly from the CD and couldn't save the game of course, I was too young at that time, it wasn't until a year later when I managed to install the game by copying Data folder from the CD (I didn't figure out the green install setup exe back then). Then I noticed I could finally save the game (even in coop mode) but I also no longer had music on the game and wondered what the heck happened to the music.

These days I didn't enjoy Quake 2 that much (I will still finish it along with the expansions) because it is a bit boring, it is a lot easier than first Quake and although the expansions are pretty good, they suffered from the infamous save/load game bug. Oh and agreed about the rocket launcher, it doesn't feel satisfying at all, I think the highlights of the Quake 2 arsenal are Railgun and BFG10K. I was hoping Quake 2 RTX would revive the game but the only thing they remastered was the main game we all have played like 10 times already (I liked the idea of how they implemented the planned Flare Gun at least), I wish they also remastered the expansions to actually give people a reason to revisit the game, not that the main game isn't great, it's just I have played it enough times I know everything already in the base game, just give us remastered expansions and even community made maps/mods and that will be a much better package.

I understand you about Quake 3. To be fair, I'm not a huge fan of deathmatching in general (I myself prefer Cooperative mode which I rarely got to play on games, for Doom I only played in Skulltag/Zandronum many years ago and for Duke3D I only played few times in Megaton port while I still had my steam account) but in Quake 3 I still enjoyed fragging the bots (and some servers I played online many years ago) and the gameplay was far more addicting than Quake 2. It was also a lot more frustrating at times, even on easy/normal skill levels the bots pose a good challenge but that was mostly back then when I was decent at games but not as skilled as nowadays. These days, I never play on I Can Win (way too easy, it even makes half of bots not even shoot at you unless you are in their face or they get powerups like mega health, red armor, quad damage. Also note that in Team Arena all bots shoot at you even on I Can Win, as far as I remember back then when I played on I Can Win), second skill (Bring It On) is again too easy for me for the most part (I rarely die), while third/medium skill (Hurt Me Plenty) is decently challenging, hits the sweet spot for difficulty for me (though sometimes the bots can be frustrating if they get lucky and kill you multiple times, which makes me think they are cheating sometimes). Hardcore is the hard difficulty, a bit hard to kill and avoid their attacks (on this difficulty the bots finally have normal health, in easier skills they have 50, 70 and 90 health respectively) and hit pretty hard but the matches can easily completed on first try for the most part, if you don't mind dying a few times. I have beaten (in 2017-2018) the demo versions of Quake 3 Arena and Team Arena on the Hardcore difficulty (also OpenArena, as I mentioned in an early post) and it wasn't too hard, with exception of a level in OpenArena that took me 3-4 tries to succeed on first place. I will eventually complete the full versions on Hardcore and Nightmare difficulties later, hopefully. Oh yeah and the nightmare difficulty, it is hard as hell, makes bots shoot and react faster (and become aimbots with railgun, though sometimes even on HMP and Hardcore seem to be aimbots), that's all I need to say. Interestingly, I have actually beaten Quake 3 Arena Demo on nightmare mode back in 2018 (after doing it on Hardcore) and outside of first level with Major that I barely succeeded 10 to 8, the rest of the levels aren't that bad. I suppose they enhanced the AI in the full game and/or later versions but the demo version (first level aside because Major is one of the hardest bots in the game) can be easily beaten. All you have to do is collect as much armor as you can (to survive the attacks) while playing aggressive, grab items, dodge attacks, predict where bots will walk/run/jump so you can aim your rockets well, etc. Yes, I know it's easier said than done but you get what I mean.

Quake 4, I only played once when I got it as birthday present in late 2006, I remember reaching level 5 (was playing on first or second difficulty and still finding hard sometimes), got scared of something and quit game, probably for the better as if I had seen the Stroggification scene as a kid (I was 11 back then), it would have traumatized me. Haven't played since then, only watched some YouTube videos. I hope to play and finish the game sometime.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 20 August 2020 - 01:38 AM

• The Truth is in here

Nehahra is also a bit special since it requires a certain version of fmod.dll in its directory for its tracker soundtrack. I also made colored lights and vis files for transparent water which works out of the box with Mark V (https://quakewiki.or...t_And_Vis_Files). Be sure to put an autoexec.cfg into the Nehahra mod dir with this line:

nomonsters "1"

This turns off the enhanced AI and should make your life a lot easier.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 August 2020 - 08:18 AM

View PostRunningDuke, on 19 August 2020 - 10:28 PM, said:

That's the problem. I no longer have the old PCs we had back in mid/late 90s.

I also don't have the old Windows 98 Pentium 133 anymore. It takes time and dedication to maintain a true retro PC, and I'm not inclined to invest either into this.

I have a very pragmatic approach to retro compatibility. It's nice to be able to run the original DOS version in an emulator, even with a shader that will imitate a CRT display, but if this comes at the cost of impaired performance, then you just throw these bells and whistles out of the window. I believe WinQuake provides an adequate vanilla experience, and so do other ports, probably, although I'm not much of a fan of Quake to know for certain. After all, that was the original purpose of open sourcing the game, so that it could be run natively on anything.

Also I think that if anyone was given the choice to play in the game in VGA or in higher resolutions back in the 90s (with no performance penalty for picking the high-res mode), most people would choose the latter I guess.

User is online   ck3D 

• The Truth is in here

I have always wondered what the first Quake could have been like if Romero had not left during its creation and if id had taken a few more months to polish the game further, especially regarding proper bosses for ep.2-4. Don't get me wrong, Q1 is still a great game the way it is, but I can't help but thinking it could have been (even) more. However, by now this has been corrected by the mapping community, and there are many addons which surpass any of the classic episodes. Things also got a bit sloppy and dickish towards the end there. Just mentioning E4M6 with Petersen's sadistic usage/abuse of tarbabies. These f'ing things are everywhere. Sure, it's right before the end of the game, so it's supposed to be hard, but the way these things jump around and explode in your face, survival turns into a matter of luck sometimes.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 22 August 2020 - 11:13 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

For all you vinyl lovers, the Nine Inch Nails' Quake soundtrack is finally getting a release after twenty-four years

• The Truth is in here

Proof of life from the Quake community!

The first episode of "Dwell" has been released today. They intend to turn this into a full-blown 4 episode adventure with new monsters, bosses, weapons and music (!). That came up out of nowhere.

https://www.quaddict...ic.php?pid=3961

The screenshots look very promising, which is rather an understatement. Mind-blowing boner material would be more adequate. Gotta give this a spin one of these days.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 October 2020 - 09:49 AM

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options