Duke4.net Forums: AMC TC episode 3 development stuff - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC TC episode 3 development stuff  "check for vids and pics"

User is offline   Jblade 

I'll be posting minor videos and little updates and stuff in this topic, much like the older one. I'm getting to grips with NVIDIA shadowplay so hopefully I can actually make videos more frequently now.

Per-map art tiles means that I can create caustic effects for maps with a lot of water that looks really neat. It's pretty large filesize wise which normally I wouldn't worry too much about but this will bump up the size a fair amount since art tiles don't compress that well - depending on the final size of the episode I may make this an optional patch to download on the size - then again it all depends on how big the TC is all together when release time is here.

Check it out here

This post has been edited by Jblade: 10 January 2016 - 07:52 AM

Holly things !!

That water effect looks so simple and yet so credible it looks as if it had been made for OpenGL or something, I understand why you say it could be heavy, besides translucent water is what made Clear The Coast slow down a lot so making it an optional patch is the wisest thing to do indeed.

BTW that OC looks almost like a heavily re-imagined Jane (you know the OC we can pic from usermap menu along with John and Marteen) ^^

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Water effect is soo damn beautiful.

User is offline   Rhaisher 

Awesome, James, glad to have a thread for EP3's WIP peeks. :)
Despite the TC being built under the classic renderer, you are adding lots of cool features. I hope of being able to toy around with them someday! :thumbsup:

User is offline   Jolteon 

Love the water effect. It looks so cool! :thumbsup:

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:17 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostJblade, on 10 January 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

I can actually make videos more frequently now.

How about an Episode 2 trailer then? Posted Image

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postthedrawliner, on 10 January 2016 - 08:07 AM, said:

Holly things !!

That water effect looks so simple and yet so credible it looks as if it had been made for OpenGL or something, I understand why you say it could be heavy, besides translucent water is what made Clear The Coast slow down a lot so making it an optional patch is the wisest thing to do indeed.

I don't think that James meant that the effect is heavy on CPU, he was just saying it increases file size a lot. There's really no reason to make it optional, and that would create extra work and potential bugs and confusion.

I'm guessing that he has one or more water reflection animations that can be overlayed/blended onto the tiles, but the changed tiles are separate from the originals. He probably has a photoshop action or equivalent that can be batched onto any number of tiles, which of course have to be saved into .art files. Then the level designer simply places them into the map, or, with some CON code he could make the regular versions switch to the water versions by adding a set value to the picnum under certain conditions (though this seems unnecessary since all the levels are made from scratch).

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 11 January 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

I don't think that James meant that the effect is heavy on CPU, he was just saying it increases file size a lot. There's really no reason to make it optional, and that would create extra work and potential bugs and confusion.

I'm guessing that he has one or more water reflection animations that can be overlayed/blended onto the tiles, but the changed tiles are separate from the originals. He probably has a photoshop action or equivalent that can be batched onto any number of tiles, which of course have to be saved into .art files. Then the level designer simply places them into the map, or, with some CON code he could make the regular versions switch to the water versions by adding a set value to the picnum under certain conditions (though this seems unnecessary since all the levels are made from scratch).

Yeah this although I wish I had a batch option, I have to overlay the caustic effect over the tile 16 times :thumbsup: There's probably a way to do it since I'm using Paintshoppro X7, I'll have to see. The easiest way to make it optional, if I were to go that route, would be just to replace the art files with non-caustic versions. That way there's no code or anything to worry about creating technical problems, it's just a case of replacing art tiles.

• Honored Donor

I use adobe photoshop CS2. It's pretty old but it allows for the recording of actions which can then be automatically applied to images in a selected folder.

The reason why it makes the file size so bloated is that the underwater tiles are being used in the per-map art files (doing otherwise would take up too many tile spaces in the main game data), however this means that the art files must be duplicated between different maps. Maybe in the future it'll be possible to have maps share the same per-map art or have some other limit-removing functionality.

User is offline   Jblade 

it's also because the caustic texture is 256x256 and repeat that 16 times per tile x however many tiles need it and you're looking at like 4mb for just 3 textures :thumbsup: I don't really worry about filesize space but considering this could potentially increase the size a lot I want to consider having it optional.

User is online   Mark 

Could your 16 caustic tiles be defined as "detail textures" and animated. That way you don't have to redo it for each tile. They all share this same detail texture in the def.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

• Honored Donor

It needs to work for the classic renderer.

User is online   Mark 

My mistake then. I thought detail textures could be used in all renderers.

User is offline   Jblade 

Here's a preview video of improved gunfire sound effects - you can find more specific details in the description but essentially instead of gunfire sounds cancelling the previous ones they now overlap each over meaning rapid fire weapons will sound far better and more satisfying to use :dukeaffirmative:

Check it out here

Neat !

I love it when there's gunfires everywhere in games ^^

I'll have to re-watch it on my home PC however cause this was too much for my laptop to bear ^^;

BTW (sorry double post) How did you mannage that ?

Did you modify something with the sound channels or did you modify the sound files themselves ?

View Postthedrawliner, on 26 January 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

BTW (sorry double post) How did you mannage that ?

Did you modify something with the sound channels or did you modify the sound files themselves ?

It's explained in the video description.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 26 January 2016 - 10:30 AM, said:

It's explained in the video description.

Woops sorry Mea Culpa :dukeaffirmative:

Enthusiasm made me blind ...

User is offline   xenoxols 

Hmm... in the weapon sound video the character seems to swap gloves between weapons.

• Honored Donor

That's because they are weapons of two different characters.

Episode 3 will have 10 of them.

User is offline   Jblade 

Yeah the changing HUD should also of gave that away at least - I'd recommend checking out the first two episodes if you haven't already :dukeaffirmative:

User is offline   xenoxols 

I finished episode 1 and almost 2, so I'm just an idiot then.

• Honored Donor

Nah I'm just having a laugh. In reality there's only 1 character and the TC has a lazy mismatch of hand art taken from different sources without being edited for consistency :dukeaffirmative:

User is offline   Jblade 

also I don't actually exist in real life, I'm Micky's Tyler Durden basically except with Duke mods instead of soap.

• Honored Donor

Yep, I claim authorship of all of James' vanilla Duke maps.

Oh wait.

View PostMicky C, on 27 January 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

Loke? :dukeaffirmative:

User is offline   Jblade 

it's supposed to be a surprise! :dukeaffirmative: (no it's not Loke)

View PostJblade, on 28 January 2016 - 04:25 AM, said:

it's supposed to be a surprise! :) (no it's not Loke)

Damn... my bad then. Sorry about that random guess. ^_^U
I'll try to stop squeezing my brain about who he/she might be so I don't ruin the surprise (as one of this game's regulars I'm really looking forward to it). :dukeaffirmative:

User is offline   Jolteon 

View PostMicky C, on 27 January 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

That's because they are weapons of two different characters.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new character. :dukeaffirmative: (Although I think I know who it is, but I'm not gonna guess, for that may ruin the surprise, but i'm still looking foward to it :) .)

This post has been edited by Jolteon: 29 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options